Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

long time goon, longtime western fan, and I'm an Old. Just installed RDR2. I know absolutely nothing about the story, or about the game.

Can any of you give me any spoiler-free advice on the game? Things to do, things not to do?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

First day of play: ten hours straight.

Man, this game is immersive. I've been killed by a nightmare of a bear, wolves, and various scallywags. Don't think I've quite grasped the proper use of Deadeye yet.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Flannelette posted:

You turn it on and put the aiming thing on the heads of the things you want to die and shoot. When you level it up you can manually mark it instead of just sweeping it over stuff.

Ah, this was my issue. I was thinking I was supposed to be able to mark whoever I wanted but instead it's doing it for me and just kind of spraying/wasting rounds. I can't wait to level that up.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

I've been playing this for a few days now, after waiting and waiting for the price to come down and eventually just breaking one night after watching the Josey Wales on blu-ray, and buying it on Steam.

loving hell, this game is immersive. I have an older rig with a GTX1060 so I can't turn the graphics all the way up, but I get 45-50 fps pretty consistently and it looks great. I don't know how many times I've been riding around and had to just stop and admire the view.

Just a few minutes ago I was walking into a saloon and chose the Antagonize option, and for the first time, rather than mouthing off back to me or punching me, dude drew on me and I kilt 'em. I was ready for WITNESS-MURDER but I guess since he drew first, what I did was okay. I love this game.

But... why does the game take money from me when I get killed :qq:

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Morter posted:

You're not the only one with a 'Press [button] to Loot', son. :clint:

The O’Driscolls and lawmen in single-player loot me?!?

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

I've never had a console. About two years ago I got on a western (movie) kick and got real upset that I couldn't play this game on my PC, and downloaded GUN (~2003 game that I had played years before) and several Call of Juarez games and was extremely disappointed. Although GUN was very cool in its day.

This game, at least the single-player aspect of it, is everything I have ever wanted in a western game. I've stopped the game so many times to use photo mode, I've stopped so many times to get off my horse to look at an amazing vista. I've shot someone and paused so many times to get a good shootout-gore screenshot.

I grew up watching Leone films and Gunsmoke and the Rifleman, and I must have seen the Outlaw Josie Wales twenty or thirty times as a kid in the 70s and early 80s. I have never played a game that scratched a particular itch as well as this one does, and I am only up to the first homestead robbery, story-wise.

Not that playing through the story is a priority for me. I have avoided all spoilers, I have no idea what is going to happen to me, and I spend 90% of my time wandering around and exploring, hunting, playing poker, and robbing. And doing the occasional good deed.

At some point, when I was a kid, Hollywood completely went away from the Western genre, but this lets me relive those memories. I play games to be the star of my own movie, and Rockstar absolutely delivered with this one. Just a brilliant game. I am totally in awe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

I think this game won me over the time that a feller standing right outside of the saloon started talking poo poo to me.

I was just walking up the steps to go inside, wasn't doing anything else.

I was used to the routine of talking poo poo back-->fight, but this one time, after I responded to his poo poo, this guy drew on me. No backtalk, no argument, he just drew down.

I killed him right there on the porch of the saloon, and I then I immediately made ready my repeater, thinking that the Law was coming for me (as they seem to do every time I am involved in a fracas)

But no. I think because he drew first, it was justified. I walked into the saloon and had a few drinks, and when I came out a while later, his corpse was still lying there, right outside the swinging doors.

I wish I could have pissed on him.