Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service

how much gold do you have? is there even anything left to spend it on?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

Tragedienne posted:

I love logging in and wondering if my server will have animals, Cripps, or neither.

yeah this game is broken as hell and it's kind of killing my enjoyment of it

it's honestly about 50/50 whether I'll even be able to join a server without getting some sort of error and when i do get in it's another roll of the dice on whether poo poo will even be working

had a fun bug earlier where missions just stopped giving rewards, $250 worth of moonshine money just evaporated

e: servers seem to have died as i was typing this lmao

Au Revoir Shosanna fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Feb 2, 2020

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i'd kill for a solo session option

does anyone know why session sweeper never made it over to RDO?

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

As someone who just plays games and does not research the backstory behind the companies, I do not understand the significance of this.

he's the co-founder and head writer, he's basically responsible for every rockstar game ever

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

Deakul posted:

I've been playing a lot this week and I still haven't received any of the thank you gifts like the revolver or varmint rifle, do I need to claim them somewhere?

I'm still pretty early on in my RDO career, haven't poked at it too much until recently and I don't want to waste money on stuff if I'm just gonna get it for free anyways.

I think you can just buy it for $0 from the gun store?

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

I just bought a Norfolk Roadster (one day before it went on sale lol) and yeah it's a real solid horse, feels kind of like a Turkoman but a little more skittish around gunfire. It's faster on paper though it weirdly doesn't feel that fast to me.

It's a good horse.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

I really wish more horses used superior or race handling.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

A lot of those horses require a pretty high level I think, but there's nothing wrong with any of the low level horses when you're just starting out.

The Tennessee Walker, Mustang, Hungarian Halfbred and Thoroughbreds are all good horses in their own right, in my experience.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

the bounty hunter role is free at the moment i think? a low level breton would be a solid starter horse for sure

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

once you're fully upgraded the moonshine role is pretty good money for minimal effort but yeah it's a huge money sink to get there

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

TorakFade posted:

Uh, half the effort just doesn't sound right. Driving the wagon carefully to not smash your bottles is a pain in the rear end, moonshiner missions / deliveries are usually more difficult and risky than resupplies / trader deliveries and before you get the full set of equipment the payouts are lovely for the time involved.

At "max level" trader earns a little less than moonshiner (like 180$/hour vs 200-220$/hour) but moonshiner is way more involved - which can be a good thing or a bad thing, of course.

moonshiner is click a button and deliver a wagon once every hour, trader you have to hunt a million animals (if they're even spawning) and do exactly one thousand resupplies to get a full wagon

i spend all my time between moonshine deliveries just hunting animals for cripps

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

yeah the initial investment in moonshine is rough as hell

i found trader real tedious when i was starting out but now that i don't need to aggressively farm xp or cash it's pretty chill and hunting is fun when there are spawns

there's a semi-reliable cougar spawn at night near beecher's hope which fills up a massive chunk of the bar if you get a perfect carcass

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

Wolfsheim posted:

I jumped back into RDO for all the free stuff and it says I get a free delivery order from Cripps for trader but the option is grayed out? Even doing a resupply mission is grayed out. The only thing I can do is sell the $7 worth of goods or nothing. Is this a bug or am I missing something obvious like in GTAO when I didnt realize you could just register as CEO from the menu for like a week?

you probably have to donate more animals?

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i never even remember to turn defensive on and i never get attacked

just a bunch of chill old cowboys out there

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

this game has more buttons than most flying simulators and there's a ton of overlap

you do eventually get used to it but even one hundred hours in i still occasionally punch my horse in the face

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

Freudian slippers posted:

I haven't played since I broke my streak. Well not techincally true, I tried a few times but neither camps nor moonshining worked for me, so I gave up. Anyway, it's liberating and I don't miss it. I'll return if they fix the bugs and add more content.

same

it's a shame because the trader and moonshine loop is super chill and fairly productive when everything works but there's so many things that can break that it's just not worth it

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

the most important thing to remember is that double tapping the button to holster your pistol lets you do a little spin

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

Timeless Appeal posted:

I really do like that in-universe, Dutch's Gang is basically a pyramid scheme.

pretty much all criminal enterprise works the same way in real life too

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

yeah RDO doesn't actively hate the player anywhere near as much as GTAO, you can realistically buy everything you'd ever want with a couple weeks work instead of grinding your face into the dirt for months just to afford a single vehicle

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

sp is absolutely the main draw here but if you're still hungry for some goal driven cowboy rp after you've beaten the story then rdo ain't too bad at scratching that itch

when it works

it never works

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

it's got nothing on the singleplayer but sometimes you just want to relax and shoot some deer so you can save up money for a new tent or horse or whatever

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

Sleekly posted:

pretend for a minute that everything actually works. wild i know. say that lasts a month or two. cool! now you're totally maxed out in any measurable way, you have an outfit for every occasion and a stable of horses.

this is literally all i want

games don't have to last forever

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

huh, actually had a decent time in online today

played for a few hours without any bugs, did some fishing, some hunting, made a couple of moonshine runs and went on a hotstreak at the poker table

a lot of people have no idea how to play poker lol

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

Professorjuggalo posted:

Is the navy colt in SP? They should add that in with the weapons locker and skin wagon

god if only

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

I'm pretty sure there are save files that start you with all weapons and horses unlocked too.

Or you could use a trainer yourself.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

Can you only buy Missouri Fox Trotters/Turkomans in singleplayer or are there places in the wild you can find them? I really want a Gold Turkoman.

You can only buy them and only towards the end of the game, it sucks.

You could always spawn one in with a mod if you want to go to that effort.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

What trainer are you using?

Also the sad truth is that even though they put so much time and effort into it, RDR2 didn't come close to making the same amount of money as GTA5. I guess from Rockstar's perspective, working on Red Dead 2 at this point is just putting money on the table

much respect to the RDO guys for looking at how tedious and exploitative GTAO was deciding not to go down that path despite it making insane amounts of money for R*

I mean it might have killed support for the game but still

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

Dragonstoned posted:

I like the way the bandoleer hovers over the body instead of resting on it...

one day they'll fix bandoliers and ponchos hovering a foot over your characters chest but I guess not today

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

Improvements – Story Mode
- The Weapon Locker from Red Dead Online has been added to Story Mode, allowing players to remove any unused weapons. It is available for use at the player’s camp from Chapter 2 onwards.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

Welp, infinite loading screen trying to do a moonshine sell mission.

Animal spawns seem to be fixed though!

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

Capn Beeb posted:

Tranq ammo in the varmint rifle is strange, figured shooting a beaver in the head with it would be a pretty quick nap time, but I had to keep shooting a bunch. Freed a wolf at a poacher camp and half expected it to slink away but instead it attacked me, so welp honor go down I guess.

Naturalist update is kinda weird.

At least animals and camps work now, didn't have a single disconnect. My private lobby firewall trick doesn't work anymore though, disconnected inside of a minute.

It's really weird, shooting an animal 14 times in the rear end with "sedative" bullets doesn't exactly feel like conservation. It's just a much sillier, much more difficult form of hunting.

Spent an hour running around collecting random samples, handed a bunch in and didn't even get enough xp to get to level 2 or enough money to cover the ammo. Maybe it's better once you start hunting legendaries?

Plus Harriet knows when you've been killing animals so you can't even work on the trader role at the same time.

And despite them making a big thing out of the two separate paths there's no actual way to progress the role if you hand stuff into the skinner.

Where do you get the missions from?

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

Evil Badman posted:

Harriet has missions at level 5.

ok but how do you even level up? It's like 50xp for every sample you hand in and 1500xp per level, do I just have to grind out 150 animal samples in the meantime?

I really feel like I'm missing something with this role.

e: searching around it seems like this is it, reddit recommends farming gators and farm animals for the first levels, apparently tranq bullets don't get you a wanted level at Emerald Ranch.

Also it looks like it's possible to stumble on legendary animals to trade into Gus for the cool outfits even without spending 25g on the role so, uh, maybe save your gold since that seems like the best content anyway? You'll miss out on perks and maps to legendaries though so not sure how practical that route will be.

Au Revoir Shosanna fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Jul 28, 2020

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

ElTacoGato posted:

I think it would've made more sense if you only had to shoot it with the sedative once, and then track it until it passed out.

Yes, obviously this. Like a grizzly bear I can understand taking 4 or 5 rounds to bring down but it takes 3 rounds just for an opossum. Most animals should be 1 shot.

I really enjoy hunting in this game but having to chase down animals on horseback while shooting them dozens of times is just dumb.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

elephant rifle and fixed animal spawns alone save this update

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

Dick Trauma posted:

Where's the new dude who buys animal parts? I didn't see him in Strawberry after the intro. Not likely to use him since Cripps needs everything I find, but I was curious what he was selling.

He's got a few camps dotted around the map with the trapper icon from single player.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

Word on the street is the naturalist horse has top tier bravery around predators but that's one of those hidden stats that's hard to measure and can apparently vary a lot.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

Diephoon posted:

From what I've read on reddit/discord it seems like Harriet just won't work with you if you killed animals recently. You can get around it by waiting a while before you talk to her or switching instances.

Yep, if you've been killing too much and try to talk to her you get a cutscene where she yells at you then she gasses you again and you're locked out for a few minutes.

The lockout is pretty quick and then you're back in with no penalty.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

if you still clear out every coin or heirloom or whatever on the map in one day though it won't make a difference, right?

it just makes it harder to track down specific pieces

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

fennesz posted:

Speaking of which, have they tweaked Bounty Hunter payouts at all? I haven't run one because the money per hour is laughably bad.

the worst part about bounty hunter are those bounties where you have to eagle vision follow a million false leads before you find the actual bounty

just wandering around the woods following a line on the grind for 10 minutes, absolute dogshit gameplay

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i'll take harriet over that french gently caress in my moonshine basement with his goddamn unskippable shakespearian monologues every time i go to sell a batch