Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sax Solo
Feb 18, 2011

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Am I correct that I can just sell the trapper whatever perfect pelts I get, and they’ll stay in his inventory until I get the other pelts necessary for various pieces of clothing? Like, I don’t have to bring him the specific pelts for each crafted piece of clothing when I want him to make it for me, right?

It's pretty unintuitive, but it makes sense if you think of the trapper as a normal craftsman who buys raw materials and sells finished goods. It's just that you're his only customer in the entire world, so he only has the raw materials you sell him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sax Solo
Feb 18, 2011

Do payouts on on-call missions stop if you do a lot of them?

It happened to me; wondering if it was a glitch for me, a bug for all, or simply lovely policy.

Sax Solo
Feb 18, 2011

I saw a dude with all-gold shotgun, repeater, and paired pistols. That's like 120 gold... can someone really have poopsocked that much yet?

Sax Solo
Feb 18, 2011

Por qué no los dos option: If you use auto-aim, your blip shows up on radar. If you use manual aim, it doesn't.

Sax Solo
Feb 18, 2011

shut up blegum posted:

I've read somewhere that it breaks the auto lock on and that's why everybody does it. But yeah, just release L2 and tap it again and you have them in your sights again?

It does break lock on, but I think there's a pause before you can re-acquire. If you've got the drop on them, it's like a chance for them to reroll initiative. If you just keep trying to lock on to them over and over you will win, but they can draw it out hoping either you gently caress up, or someone comes along and shoots you.

Sax Solo
Feb 18, 2011

In RDO I like the Manzanita post stealth-intensive story mission because a three star bald eagle spawns on the Manzanita Post gate. If you hurry you can make an extra $9 just from feathers (it spawns on the way back too).

Last night, though, I saw someone else doing it, so RIP that little bit of hustle.

However they probably don't know about the legendary wolf:

(The pelt is only perfect and I don't think you can get pelts and carcasses out of the missions anyway. There's a dead perfect buck right on the mission path too; people will fight over looting dead O'Driscolls for eleven cents but leave $1.05 antlers lying on the ground.)

Sax Solo
Feb 18, 2011

Reign Of Pain posted:

Does anyone have a list of the butchers prices for online?

This one seems all right.

Sax Solo
Feb 18, 2011

marshmallow creep posted:

Okay, so I bought a new horse and realized too late that I was a few dollars short of the horse insurance. So I queued up a quick join mission to make the difference up. When I spawned into the story mode, my old horse was waiting for me, which confused me. I got out of the mission, and it said my "active horse was dead." How the gently caress does starting a story mission kill my horse?

I had this happen and IIRC it's some stupid UI poo poo, like you have to "activate" the horse, in the actual stables building.

Sax Solo
Feb 18, 2011

No points for style, but it's probably just as fast and a whole lot safer just to do one fish at a time on your horse :shrug:

Sax Solo
Feb 18, 2011

Timeless Appeal posted:

John having to go to the St. Denis theater to see Micah putting on his stage show of how he heroically killed Arthur Morgan would be pretty amazing.

Hell yes, something thematic in the movies would have been interesting.

Sax Solo
Feb 18, 2011

Jerusalem posted:

Out near the Braithwaite mansion is a small wooden outhouse with chains around it. If you approach it anytime in the first 6 chapters and try to look in, a small girl inside lunges at you, then cackles, claims to "mother" that she will get out and then starts counting numbers wildly inaccurately. You can just make out that she appears to have some kind of deformity. If you go back in the epilogue, the chains are still there but now there is the skeleton of a slightly older looking girl in there.

I saved a video of the first encounter for those who missed it.

Sax Solo
Feb 18, 2011

AxeManiac posted:

Can I setup an online match and just play the game with my friend yet, or is it still (will it always be) insane murder town massacre nonsense?

Nope, no private sessions yet.

Maybe as RDO dies the servers will get emptier. Even now, the map is huge enough you can almost always go find a whole area to yourself.

Sax Solo
Feb 18, 2011

A realistic experience, then.

Sax Solo
Feb 18, 2011

What if they switched it to free aim and gun fights still weren't any fun.

Sax Solo
Feb 18, 2011

Cowman posted:

I honestly wonder if there was a chapter cut from the game where Arthur goes to New Austin since the doctor does tell him to go somewhere warm and dry when he diagnoses him with tuberculosis, which made me think there would be a part in the desert.

I think it was very good that the action then moves to the coldest wettest part of the map and Arthur just goes with it.

It's like, occasionally I hear people say Huckleberry Finn is about the adventures of Huck and Jim as they make their way upriver to the free states. Nope!

Sax Solo
Feb 18, 2011

I still remember the feelings of disgust and disappointment I felt with RDR2 after going through that bit of Guarma Walking Simulator as Arthur, thinking "Well, at least Arthur's free of the stupid gang and a new chapter can start," but then Arthur rounds a corner and there's fuckin dumbfuck Dutch and shirtless Micah motherfucker.

Sax Solo
Feb 18, 2011

It shows in online, at least for the chonky lady model. At no time does the gun belt fit right.

Sax Solo
Feb 18, 2011

It's like the double-click L1 to twirly your revolver when you holster it, all over again.

Sax Solo
Feb 18, 2011

Evil Badman posted:

Hold the Options button down instead of just pressing it .

I use it. It may not be any faster to open but it's faster to close.

Sax Solo
Feb 18, 2011

I wish you could "pawn" weapons at a fence, just to get them out of your weapon wheel. Like, it gives you $X to take them, but charges you $X to get them back. And they come back maximally dirty.

Sax Solo
Feb 18, 2011

Random killing is a little lighter than it used to be. If you're in defensive mode you're pretty safe if you're not just standing still. At first it was even better because people were afraid of losing their blue dot status, but they've figured out it's hard to lose for long so there's still a fair bit of just random bored murder for no real reason. Still not as much as before, though.

Does anyone know how warning shots work online? I know how to do them, but it gives the other player some official game warning, too. I'm not sure what happens if you violate the warning.

Sax Solo
Feb 18, 2011

You can continue w/ the x2.5 gold multiplier.

Sax Solo
Feb 18, 2011

No but my guess is either "whoops we already gave out the high roller pistol" and/or "handful of random tonics etc".

Sax Solo
Feb 18, 2011

Aster0ids posted:

Is there a good guide for what ability cards combo to use in pvp once you hit 50? Im still getting hammered by high level players, AKA i barely dent their health at mid-range and theyre one-shotting me with shotguns. I cant help but feel its my card setup which i havent played alot with.

I still have: A moment to recuperate, peak condition, hunker down as lvl1 cards. I havent upgraded any of em cuz its 350 a pop and didnt wanna waste that kind of money on cards that might be useless later on.

There's a PVP/Ability Card section in the Reddit guide linked above. Slow & Steady + Unblinking Eye builds are pretty strong, though Paint it Black really boosts shotgun accuracy so that's probably what's killing you.

Sax Solo
Feb 18, 2011

Aster0ids posted:

One thing thats confusing me right now is the camp system, i set one up for the cooking seasoned game daily but i dont want the 1$ per day upkeep after ive done it and there doesnt seem to be a way to make it go away. Are those perma anyway? I never noticed the upkeep before.

Eventually your camp won't be able to be set up (trying hopping sessions to the other side of the map?) and from that point on just never set it up again.

There are free campfires. The ones I can remember easily:
- In the tent camp by the butcher in Valentine.
- By Rhodes, NW by the tracks a short distance, by a tree/pond/farm.
- In Saint Denis, by the butcher, NE by the tracks a very short way.

There's more on this map (but it doesn't have the Rhodes one I mentioned; probably missing more).

Sax Solo
Feb 18, 2011

Dogs in camp and nowhere else I assume. Dogs warning about attacks on camp makes me wonder what kind of gameplay is going to involve sitting around in camp...

Sax Solo
Feb 18, 2011

Feenix posted:

I bounced off online like a week or two after it launched in beta. I liked what was on offer, but is every instance of happening upon another player just this uneasy strafe of “I’m not gonna shoot him, hopefully he doesn’t shoot me, oh poo poo he has a friend... should I try to sell these pelts? Easy compadre... eas.... AGGHHHH HE WALKED TOWARDS ME BLAM BLAM BLAM BLAM BLAM BLAM!”

This is me. I also get jumpy when people like show up to 'help' with hideouts.

Sax Solo
Feb 18, 2011

Assuming that's a picture of opening a chest and getting nothing from it, I had that happen on that exact same chest. I whined to rockstar (and linked to a video) and they coughed up a gold bar and $175.

edit: vvvv even if i knew they wouldn't give me anything, i still would have reported it as a bug

Sax Solo fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Aug 19, 2019

Sax Solo
Feb 18, 2011

As I understand it: each hideout has general times of day when it may spawn. (Map.) Hideouts don't usually spawn right when you get there, or when you're looking at them. Just stop a ways off and face away, or go into the map, or hunt a little nearby them, and they will pop up pretty soon if it's the right time of day. To avoid interference from other players, join to one part of the map then ride or fast travel to a distant part of the map, because when you join a session the game tries to match you with players in the same area. So, like, join up in Lemoyne then wander off to New Austin.

Sax Solo
Feb 18, 2011

Chuds McGreedy posted:

I was hoping someone in here did the card thing. Is it a pain in the rear end?

It's not so bad. Right about the time I started to get super sick of it, I was done.

Sax Solo
Feb 18, 2011

Look on the bright side: you'll get a treasure map in a month.

Sax Solo
Feb 18, 2011

Yeah I feel like I used to randomly get a red "antagonized" hit when I was in a shop or wardrobe sometimes. Maybe that's killing defensive mode now, too.

I have a couple wild theories about it:

1) Some shop owners get sort of squirrelly when you are in the wardrobe in the back of their shop. They don't like it. So maybe if it goes on a long time it counts as antagonizing.

2) Maybe some NPC got blocked by your horse and got real mad about it.

Sax Solo
Feb 18, 2011

Apparently with collections, buying maps has diminishing returns; your ~third map for a category will only show two locations, and the next map you buy will only show one. So you're not expected to use the maps much I guess. At least it's pretty common to get some of the collectibles from looting.

I wonder what it's going to be like when all the locations have been found and you just go on a big farm route. It sounds kinda hellish.

My favorite thing about the patch so far is the new random encounters. I even have had one that has a followup, like the progressing stranger encounters in single player.

Sax Solo
Feb 18, 2011

Jimbot posted:

Rockstar's probably going to have to rebalance the Sacred Object weekly stuff. As far as I can tell the ones that you need to collect are random. There's not one place or area you can go to and be guaranteed to find any one of those items.

I have heard that but I checked out the locations people said and it worked for me.

Did you try these locations?
1) Egg in a nest up a tree, by the river south of the S in STRAWBERRY. (On the SW side.) Use a varmint rifle on nests.
2) Brush at the brothel trailer up by Van Horn.
3) Arrowhead either in the civil war battleground, or the big island in the river south of Lake Don Julio.

Sax Solo
Feb 18, 2011

Super Foul Egg posted:

As far as I can tell it's persistent but on a very short cycle so people have to stay on top of the 'official' new location every few hours (saw someone mention 8?), seems like an okay compromise between total randomness and just looking up a location whenever you need a thing. Collectors need those fresh tipoffs!

Oh wow it had not clicked for me that it was going to be like this, drat.

Sax Solo
Feb 18, 2011

Aster0ids posted:

Is it worth spending time doing the GTA stuff? I played too much and looking at a map, scrawling out each card on a jpeg as i do em seems like a hassle if i can just do stuff in RDO and buy it this way along similar time investment.

Finding the cards was not too bad; honestly a good excuse to motorbike around the GTA5 map for awhile.

Sax Solo
Feb 18, 2011

Yeah I feel like R* is going to nerf the metal detector soon it's too good.

Sax Solo
Feb 18, 2011

HatJudge posted:

And when does the server tick over and start new daily challenges? Midnight pacific time?

11pm pacific time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sax Solo
Feb 18, 2011

I had all those clothing options available last night before the patch started downloading today, so it must contain other stuff.