Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

HORMELCHILI posted:

its just astounding that someones first reaction to all the amazing details put into this game is "Can they just like not? I have twenty minutes a week to put into this"

amazing details like "press x to eat" and "press x to clean gun"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

No Mods No Masters posted:

Imagine working on the story for a rockstar game for 14 hours a day, 7 days a week. Imagine needing to work on the story of a rockstar game for 14 hours a day, 7 days a week

now imagine you're only doing that for 1 week

don't worry you don't have to cuz that's what happened

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
so will we be doing goon posses in this game? the first few weeks of GTA Online with goons were amazing so if that's what we're doing sign me up

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

LegoMan posted:

I just want to be able to continually walk into people and make them fall over like in rdr.

Hearing the old timers say "TARNATION" as they fall over used to make me laugh my rear end off

that's the thing I miss the most in the transition from GTA 4 > GTA 5 so I'm hoping they brought it back

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
if my camp gets hungry hopefully I can lasso up a desperado and drag him to camp so my gang can eat him

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
I bet at the end you kill Dutch and steal his identity and also wear his face

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
I'm a lot angrier than I probably should be that I can't name my horse "Boner"

gently caress you rockstar it's a single player game and I've killed over 100 people by this point I can name my horse whatever the gently caress I want

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
I used to see rabbits everywhere but now that I have a hunting challenge to get 3 perfect rabbit pelts they just don't spawn anymore

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
I wandered onto a random camp at night with what looked like a guy standing over a dead body, I thought it might have been an O'Driscoll just finished robbing a guy, so I came up to investigate. The guy wasn't an O'Driscoll but he pulled a gun on me anyways when I got too close, so I assume he murdered the guy and I shot him. That's when the other guy wakes up and starts shooting at me too, turns out he was just sleeping in a weird position and his friend was watching him sleep from an uncomfortably close distance, so that's how I murdered 2 random dudes for no real reason.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

euphronius posted:

I bought the 10$ strategy guide. Does anyone want to know anything about it ?

does it have the treasure hunt locations? I don't feel like reading these maps

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

thanks

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Soonmot posted:

I've been doing that, I was just wondering if the body did something more since you can only carry 1 big corpse and 2 small ones on the horse. I just feel weird leaving skinned carcasses littering the landscape

fun fact if you do that it will attract birds to feast on the corpse! useful if you want to collect feathers for crafting

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

goferchan posted:

There's that surviving O'Driscoll guy in the first chapter, can't you choose whether to kill him or take him captive? Maybe I'm misremembering and you don't have the option to take him with you, it was like 2 in the morning after the midnight launch when I played that part

no he always lives, you insta-fail if you kill him

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
Man hunting in this game is miserable when you're looking for one specific animal. Been trying to get 3 perfect rabbit pelts for 2 days now and every rabbit I find is 1 or 2 stars, and the rare 3 star rabbit I do find just magically doesn't die from a single varmint rifle shot

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

insane anime posted:

There are environmental factors as well as equipment you can use to your advantage to make rarer animals spawn more likely. In one of the very first missions if you loot properly you can find Revolver of Serendipity which gives a nice percentage increase. Also rare rabbits spawn more likely nearer to body of water and dusk/dawn

Yeah I think I'm just going to stop trying to do this hunting challenge until I get that trinket that gives you better quality animal skins

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
how do I give items to people in camp to fulfill their requests? Mary-Beth asked for a pen and I have one, but I can't really give it to her. Do I just donate it to the camp box?

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
It's like how if you hang around at your workplace in the middle of the night it's still trespassing, even if you work there

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Qubee posted:

except the dialogue at the start of the quest really didn't make it seem like the foreman was taking me on as a productive member of the work force. he used words that said he needed someone vicious to get the job done. i didn't think i'd be held to the same bedtime curfews as his workers, seeing as i was his mad dog let off the leash sort of guy? I also had $100 in my pocket to give him, you'd think he'd be able to stop reading his diary for two seconds to take the cash.

well I hope you learned a valuable lesson that when the game tells you to gently caress off you should either gently caress off or get ready for a fight

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Nolgthorn posted:

I found a broken NPC in the small shittier saloon in Valentine. He was standing at the bar and his face looked weird, like he was wearing a fake face, it was super shiny and it didn't move. He was talking though because he was the only person there and telling a story about some guy or other that he knew. So I tried to pick a fight with him but every time I insulted him with funnier and funnier cowboy insults he would just sound sad "ohhhhmmmmmuhh" and didn't do anything.

Downs syndrome cowboy.

If that's the guy I'm thinking of that's the big guy that you beat the everloving poo poo out of in that early Valentine mission, the big bar fight. Some NPCs around town mention he's been "different" ever since your fight, and you can randomly see him around town after that. You literally pounded his brains into mush

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

goferchan posted:

I swear I have killed 3 enemies in 10 seconds multiple times with throwing knives but the weapon master challenge won't proc for me. Does it have to be done in the open world and not during a mission or something? Kind of annoying because you can only hold 8 and there aren't that many places to restock them. Also there are clearly six throwing knives in Arthur's ammo stock at camp but when you grab them you only get 2, wtf!

I'm hoping there's a mission where you have to fight a hospital ward full of blind and deaf quadriplegics otherwise I'm never going to get that challenge done

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
just think of the horse as more like a sentient car that poops, that way using buttons to slow it down makes more sense

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Flint_Paper posted:

Can someone spoil what this does, please?

no one tell him

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
just go chop some wood and donate a few pocket watches to your gang of thieves and killers and your honor will shoot right back up

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Over There posted:

So I sold that massive black horse because I thought I could afford a better one. Nope, the only one I could afford at the time was a tiny average horse for $15. When I rode with the gang, they were at least 4ft taller than me. I was embarrassed to be around them.

I love my tiny dinky horse, I'm riding him for the rest of the game

riding a small horse means you have a HUGE dick

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
I've found my new favorite thing to do. Follow people around town and say absolutely nothing until they pick a fight with you then knock them out. I beat up the coonskin hat guy in Valentine with no consequences just by standing next to him at the bar, now I have a cool new hat

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
you can also feed it lead by using L2 and R2

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Kalsco posted:

Similarly, the very early mission with Hosea that unlocks the fence:

Only after looting the last bit updoors did I sorta do a double take and realize "Wait, if this game is pedantic as it's seemingly been, I better close every drawer and cupboard or else they'll notice!" Sure enough, Morgan comments on coming in and out unnoticed. I then proceed to drive the stolen wagon right in front of the house destroying any effort to be sneaky.

Game cool and good and I'm happy with it. Root toot.

he says that even if you don't close all the drawers

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
Took me a long time to realize you can't customize guns until they're 100% clean first, I just thought there weren't any customizations available for them

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Calaveron posted:

You absolute loving idiot. The game ain't the one giving your dumb rear end malaria

lol

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
you can also chase rabbits and rats around with a knife, although I have no idea what quality pelt that gets you because while Arthur does have an animation for stabbing things below him it's slow as poo poo

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Crabtree posted:

Does the viking throwing axe count as a tomahawk or a knife like melee kill?

You can totally kill animals with throwing knives but it ruins the pelt, it does for rabbits at least

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Pirate Jet posted:

Is the Varmint Rifle not supposed to kill animals in one headshot or am I just an idiot? I haven’t one-shot any deer with it even though I think I remember the study info telling me I should use it, and even rabbits aren’t falling to it, though I may be accidentally shooting the poor things’ ears off instead.

It should be able to, I've done it before. It's possible that either your aim was a bit off and you just grazed them, or you were far enough away that the bullet didn't do enough damage to kill, I've definitely had rabbits survive varmint rifle shots before

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
Speaking of which I have had the game for about 5 days now and I have finally managed to get a 2nd perfect rabbit pelt. One more and I can see what annoying and highly RNG-based challenge the game has for me next

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Hobo Clown posted:

Every time I try to interact with that rear end in a top hat my Greet/Antagonize options are greyed out.

just stand next to him for a while and he'll do the antagonizing for you

edit: make sure your health and stamina are topped up because he puts up a hell of a fight

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

lets hang out posted:

i dont want bounty hunters using their gps to find and crawl up my rear end while i'm trying to hunt squirrels

Yeah bounty hunters are fun if you're just wandering around doing random poo poo but if you're trying to hunt for specific animals then it's a huge pain in the rear end

You also have to make sure you have horse reviver handy in case you have a horse like mine that either doesn't give a gently caress or has secretly been trained by the Secret Service because that fucker will jump in front of bullets for me

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
I love having Micah back at camp now. I antagonize him every chance I get and he does this thing where he shoves me away, yells at me to stop bullying him, and then walks away while I pepper him with more insults. "No one's happy that you're back" drat Arthur that's savage

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

The Walrus posted:

does anyone else have a horse thats unreasonably small and lovely that they still keep and love? mines at level 4 and his names steve.

I kept the lovely horse you buy with Hosea in that early game mission. The breed is a Morgan which I think is fitting for Arthur to ride around in, and I named him Tomato

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
the horse can't buck you off if it's dead, just fyi

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

DeadLetterOfficer posted:

My unintentional strategy is to aim assist + flick up to the hat. I harvest the best shot off hat and wear it until I lose it/shoot off a better hat. Survival of the fittest hat.

These 2 guys were threatening me out in the wilderness so I prepped up the cool revolver draw Deadeye move you can do, lined up 2 shots to their heads and ended up shooting both their hats off

Never have I felt more badass while at the same time feeling like a stupid rear end in a top hat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

So are there multiple of each legendary animals? Cause I see a lot of the outfits require multiple legendary skins.

nah only one, but each legendary pelt you give to the trapper gives you like 3-4 "pelts" for crafting, even if you only gave him 1