Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Zutaten posted:

Yes, just go through the online tutorials and make sure you select Invite Only lobby so you aren't harassed by psychopaths, then just drive around until you receive two emails on your phone with instructions for a treasure (the revolver) and from someone detailing a bounty hunting mission (which leads to the hatchet upon completion of several). It should only take an hour or two to get both weapons

So if I do it on PC would I be able to get these items for my PS4 copy of RDR2?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

MonkeyLibFront posted:

As someone who gave up on GTA:O at the start because it was a buggy POS, what actually happened to it and why is it such an anathema to all life?

Do you like lots and lots of grinding?

I stopped playing after about a year but by all accounts it got worse and worse with pushing shark cards on people.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

I ordered the Ultimate Edition directly from Rockstar and it still hasn't shipped yet :saddowns:

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Anyone else who ordered directly from Rockstar not receive their copy yet? The Ultimate Edition I ordered has already been paid for but the delivery service they used is loving with me.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Why the hell is there a mission in Blackwater and how did Javier get there without getting his face blown off? This is dumb as rocks.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Doc M posted:

Unfortunately, like I mentioned a few pages ago, Undead Nightmare was broken pretty badly by the last RDR title update.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tOq25Zo8pes&t=290s

This is Digital Foundry's frame rate test, but it shows the headless NPC glitch better than any other video I found (starts at 4:50, if the timestamp doesn't work). After you play the game for a while, some or all zombies will turn into these headless bandits or just lose their heads in general, making them unkillable and the game basically unplayable (and potentially corrupting your save file). The only way to "fix" the issue is to kill Marston, and even then it'll just pop up again after 15-30 minutes or so.

It's a good thing for Rockstar this only started happening after everyone had already moved on to GTA V, and people only started noticing the glitches when RDR was made playable on the Xbone and on PSNow streaming. Did they fix anything? gently caress no. Did any news outlet report the game was broken? gently caress no. Is Rockstar still happy to sell you the Undead Nightmare DLC while knowing it's broken? :homebrew:

Well looks like I'll never play Undead Nightmare now. loving Rockstar.

I also figured out a way to get to that Javier mission. I wish you actually stood a chance against those endless roaming bands of bounty hunters; kind of annoying even though they've been doing this poo poo for years.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Who's the idiot who decided not to mark killed snakes on the map. Just finding them to kill them is hard enough in the first place.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

super macho dude posted:

Seems to work fine for me.

So dead snakes are marked on your minimap? Because they sure as hell aren't on mine and it's irritating trying to find their corpses in the grass.

AndyElusive posted:

Welp, upon further consideration I retract my previous comment about how he probably didn't intend to appeal to dipshit gamers.

Since getting the channel back, this dipshit's put up videos called "Red Dead Redemption 2 - Beating Up Chinese Man" and "Red Dead Redemption 2 - Deporting A Mexican" so I'm sure they're just a fine upstanding individual.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Should've hogtied him and left him for some wolves.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

So do the fence, Pearson and the trapper all share inventories or should I be more careful with what I'm selling? I noticed the fence needs legendary parts for trinkets and talismans and I've just been selling them all off to the trader and don't know if I can buy them back. Apologies if this has been answered already before.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Joey Freshwater posted:

I give up on the Legendary Buck. At this point I've gotten all Legendary Animals and Fish except for the Buck. My game has to be bugged.

I spent basically all of yesterday trying to do it. Not sure what finally got it to work but I kept sleeping and riding around killing wolves/bears/O'Driscoll camps. It might've been when I rode into the area from the East through the mountains/mining cave where the one bounty is. Whenever I'd ride in from the West near the trapper it would keep hitting me with "too much activity" messages, but eventually I got it. A real pain in the rear end.

KingKapalone posted:

Can you turn yourself in when you have a big bounty? What happens? I only had a $60 and Saint Denis was shoot on site. Can't go there at all with a bounty it seems.

The highest bounty I've accumulated was $300ish between the story mission that teaches you about bounties and killing lawmen while trying to do Javier's mission near Blackwater. I dunno how high the bounties can go but I just walked into the Sheriff's office in Strawberry and kept antagonizing the deputy until he arrested me and all that changed between that and turning myself in for a $100 bounty was that Arthur got decked in the face during the arrest animation. I haven't been to St. Denis yet but are there more cops there? Or perhaps you are trying to enter the town while it's in lockdown mode and there are more cops on patrol. It's denoted on the map by a red outline around the town and lawmen getting marked on your radar with red stars.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

The more I play this game the more annoyed I am by these excessive animations. I just sat through about 2 minutes of animation of my horse freaking out near an alligator and not accepting any of my inputs before bucking me off and then me getting eaten by the same alligator because Arthur wouldn't get his loving fat rear end moving.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

ZeusCannon posted:

Sounds like you should have just shot the loving alligator friend

I would've if it let me pull out my gun :rolleyes:

Also apparently bounty hunters can still spawn and ambush you while you're doing activities with gang members. Went fishing with Kieran and right after I reeled in a bluegill the entire posse was on top of us. Couldn't kill them fast enough and Kieran was busy doing his fishing routine to bother helping.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Turned myself in to the Saint Denis cops to clear a bounty I couldn't pay and got a cutscene of Hosea bailing me out of jail instead of the regular "Arthur waits in cell". Didn't expect that.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

So is there any way to clear bounties besides paying them off or dumping all your cash into the camp and then turning yourself in? Robbing trains is exciting but I only get like $100 at most versus the $500 bounty I gain from it.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

God this game's wanted system is so broken. I was able to quietly loot the backroom of the Saint Denis gunshop and get away but when I go back to loot the store after all the cops cleared out I'm immediately hit with a wanted level and instantly identified by a witness who apparently saw me through a wall from the back alley.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

That's cool, reloading a save resets progress on challenges. Robbed 2 stores for the 4 stores in 1 day challenge, and died so when I reloaded the save I made after robbing 2 stores it's reset to 0 but the stores I robbed are locked out. Really cool and good :thumbsup:

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Zaa Boogie posted:

Was it a normal save you guys reloaded or an autosave?

Mine was a normal save. I've lost a bunch of hunting progress with autosaves so I started doing more manual saves.

Still can't get the hang of dueling. Dueling in this game is rear end backwards and lovely.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Krinkle posted:

I just got told there was a legendary nearby and said why not and the buck was right there. What would have happened if I had been intending to find him? The zone would be "too busy"? I would follow the three golden turds and then he wouldn't show? I'm not sure how a legendary beast could even "not spawn"?

I want to know how blind stupid lucky I was is all.

I spent a whole day of dealing with "too much activity" messages.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Krinkle posted:

Is the bed at the camp I never go to the only way to fast travel or?

Technically trains and stagecoaches are fast travel. I've never used them. You could also just set a path for your horse, start moving and turn on cinematic camera while you go do something else. Just know that you can still get ambushed by gangs/bounty hunters etc so you're not 100% safe doing this.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Any tips for the sharpshooter challenge for disarming people?

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

How do you only have a $205 bounty from robbing a train? Mine jumps to the max of $500 each time I do it. I guess you don't kill any of the lawmen that come after you?

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Zuul the Cat posted:

I killed a poo poo ton of them. I killed a bunch of the guards on the train, then got into a running gunfight with lawmen and killed several.

Huh, weird. Anyway, at least it made doing the "get a $250 bounty" challenge super easy, all I did was have to antagonize a lawman to make my $500 bounty register.

e: I just rescued a tax collector from some Lemoyne Raiders and after he thanked me he walked into their campfire and died.

UnknownMercenary fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Nov 13, 2018

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

So killing bounty hunters and their dogs and horses gets no attention from random passersby or lawmen but hogtying one gets me extra bounty and lawmen teleporting nearby to engage me in combat.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Dogen posted:

Ugh what’s the best way to find a panther. I found one and shot it in the face with non express ammo like an idiot and still got mauled to death, and frankly I just kind of stumbled on it after I tried the whole bait/cover lotion thing and got tired of that and started creeping around the woods.

I just went panther hunting myself. They spawn in Lemoyne, near Lakay. If you've found the tiny church in that area, it's really close to that. They only seem to spawn at night so what I do is make a hard save and then sleep at a camp until midnight and wander around that area until a panther shows up. Shooting in the face with express rifle ammo and dead eye is the way to go. Predator bait (both regular and potent) seems pretty useless and only ever got me boars and coyotes, so I'd ignore that poo poo entirely.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Dogen posted:

Thanks. That was basically what I was trying to do after giving up on the bait, I just forgot to put express rounds in my Springfield. The one panther that found me was a bit east of Catfish Jackson’s.

I just can’t figure out how to spot them before the spot me.

I ride around on my horse with my rifle out and spam the lock on button until it catches a panther, hopefully before it murders me.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Well now that I can carry 99 of everything with my upgraded satchels I suppose I should rob everybody blind so I can carry a small fortune in jewelry and belt buckles.

I've only been fencing that stuff sparingly so I don't run out of money but I just robbed the bank in Valentine and I have more money than I know what to do with.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Is there any other way to farm honor besides fishing? Mine's pretty much bottomed out from doing all the bandit challenges.

Also speaking of weapons, I'm super bummed that the Double Action is a piece of poo poo. That was my favourite revolver in RDR1.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Can you rob banks outside of missions?

e: I tried to rob the Valentine bank on my own and the "rob" button is greyed out on the teller and threatening them doesn't do anything.

UnknownMercenary fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Nov 16, 2018

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Krinkle posted:

I got challenged to a fight last week and when I won I got the guy's coonskin cap. I assumed all the hats in the game were going to come from picking bar fights but I accept every drunk brawler I can and nothing. Not a hat income source.

I'm trying to do the sharpshooter challenge to kill someone at 660 feet. This is difficult because I do not believe there is a way to sight distance, and also, I am shooting with the gun that has the highest range stat, my long scoped springfield, at the distance where they disappear if I walk back any further, and it isn't counting.

If that "range" stat is, like, relative? And the answer is "just use a rolling rock" then i'll be sad.

e: they disappear when I take even one step back from where i'm shooting and it isn't counting. I'm at the o'driscoll base wh ere they spawn forever so I can test this kind of thing.

I got this at the Heartland Oil Fields by riding up the hill top to the northwest and looking at a guard through a long scoped Rolling Block so he wouldn't despawn and then walking back as far as I could and eventually got it. This challenge is a total pain in the rear end because it's so hard to get it without the game just going "no we're just gonna despawn poo poo/not even render it because it's too far away".

RDR2's challenges really making some of the bullshit from RDR1 seem super tame in comparison.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Since the final Bandit challenge requires me to rob some trains I'm experimenting a little. It definitely feels like they'll hit you with bigger bounties if you keep repeating crimes. I got a $50 bounty and no loot because the first train I hit was a freight train. Then a passenger train in the same region got me up to $290 but I barely broke even with the loot. For train robbery number 3 in New Hanover my bounty is now up to $970 and I swear it jumped up by like $500 as soon as I was reported for robbing another train.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

So I figured out a way to make a decent amount off of train robberies. If you take the train from Saint Denis that seems to get you passengers with more money and valuables on them. Saw from a Youtube video that passenger trains take a tunnel through the Grizzlies so what I did was board on Saint Denis to Annesburg, and then ride ahead and jump on inside the tunnel. I don't know if it's because the Grizzlies doesn't really have any settlements for lawmen or if the tunnel just bugs them out but you'll get hit with a "crime reported" message but be able to loot the train at your leisure. Passengers will hold out on you so if you don't mind the honor hits you can kill them after robbing them for more loot; normally this would increase your bounty if not for the tunnel/Grizzlies weirdness. Made ~$250 from it and that's before fencing the valuables.

I think I'll try robbing another one just in the Grizzlies region but not in the tunnel and see what happens. Also I'm definitely thinking the 'repeat offender = higher bounty' is totally a thing because I got a copy of the official guide and it's saying train robbery's only a $50 bounty.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

The satchel upgrades should be your first priority. As for the trapper, he can make clothes out of legendary and regular 3 star pelts but it's entirely cosmetic poo poo. You can make do with the basic clothing you start with for all weather conditions although it's pretty dope to wear a fox head as a hat. What you *do* want out of legendary parts are the trinkets and talismans from the fence, which is separate entirely from the pelts.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Wait, what? The Valentine bank job is an unmissable story mission I'm pretty sure; it's called "Sodom? Back to Gomorrah". The guide lists another bank job in Rhodes as the special edition exclusive.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

TheTrend posted:

you definitely want to change outfits and wear a full mask. THis will delay the response and the larger bounty increases. The outfit you change into needs to be something you haven't worn before though, but Ive just put on a different mask or changed a coat/pants and it seems to be fine.

That's kind of annoying needing to do a full outfit change.

I haven't really noticed masks being more effective than the bandana.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Any tips for the stupid Horseman challenge where I gotta drag a guy 3300 feet? Eventually Arthur just releases the lasso. Also this would be a whole lot easier to track if it kept the distance counter active on the screen while I was attempting ...

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

TheTrend posted:

I can only vouch this anecdotally as i don't care enough to sit down and test it. I've robbed trains in succession and caught a bounty pretty quick and i was getting quite annoyed like the OP about how fast the bounties rack up and kill my joy of outlaw banditry. I changed my mask/clothes and did notice i had way more time to rob before the law showed up, and had a way lower initial bounty. YMMV, as i said i can't really prove it, but I would try it if you're frustrated at least. Just throw different outfits on your horse. Late game i think you can store up to 5 if i'm not mistaken.

I've changed outfits from my horse before but not made entirely new outfits before robbing. Didn't seem to be a huge difference. Also the help section in-game does mention cops remembering physical descriptions and even recommends changing outfits and facial hair.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Dalael posted:

Arthur seems to release the lasso when you go too fast. Just slow down a little. You don't need to go walking pace either, it doesn't matter if the guy dies.

Thanks, friend.

Also on the subject of outfits mattering for cops, all I did this time was just swap from my bear hat to my fox hat and I didn't get recognized right away for my 5th train robbery. Maybe it also matters for state jurisdictions? I robbed the last train right outside of Saint Denis. Got into a pretty heated running gun battle with the cops where I nearly died a bunch too because the game did the stupid "removing my long guns" trick again, but only got a $325 bounty.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

God this night time encounter in the Bayou is such bullshit. Where there's a crying lady and you get ambushed by a bunch of knife wielding assholes.

I can take a bunch of health items to have golden bars and cores and still get put down to near death and then the next hit is just fatal. Can't just shoot her beforehand either because it just gives you honor loss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

DrNutt posted:

Knives are totally brutal in this game, it's kind of ridiculous. Pump action shotgun is my "always equip in the bayou in case of nite folk" weapon.

I ended up parking my horse right next to the lady and as soon as the stabbing animation finished I jumped onto my horse and shot the ambushers with the semi auto shotgun in Deadeye. Helped that this time there weren't a bunch of trees in the way at the encounter location.

If the guide hadn't told me that finishing this encounter unlocks a stranger mission I would've just shot her and be on my way.

Aranan posted:

I brought Lenny a pocket watch like he wanted, but as soon as I hit the button to hand it to him he stood up and walked away. It seemed really abrupt. Was he supposed to say anything? Even "thanks, Arthur"?

Yeah they're all supposed to have dialogue after you finish one of their requests but it's pretty generic thank you stuff. I had Charles bug out on me in a similar fashion when I gave him oleander for poison arrows.