Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Is there a Red Dead Online thread or is this it?

Zesty fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Jul 10, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I’ve seen a few cheaters in my week or so of playing. ALWAYS in the Railroad free roam event and once when a guy teleported everyone to one spot. It’s annoying but it’s obvious who to report. Always seems to be low levels too so I assume cheaters don’t make it far without being banned. I just wish Rockstar would deal with the situation in a way that stops cheaters from popping up at all.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
With GTO, you might be able to defend Rockstar that the problems with cheaters in their game were too difficult to fix after the fact but they have absolutely no excuse with RDO. It should have been built from the ground up with the intention of not having the same vulnerabilities.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

weg posted:

My new favorite bug is the infinite load times one on PS4. I can join a session without issue on my first try, but if I try to join another it loads indefinitely until I close the game and relaunch it.
Same, but PC.

Really digging single player though. Going for 100%. I really enjoy how much more lively it feels compared to RDO. Currently in Chapter 3.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Hihohe posted:

I'm back to being a cowboy but this time in computer form.

Jeez I was really spoiled on a controller with the snap to targeting. I cant hit poo poo now.

Why don’t you play with a controller then?

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Hihohe posted:

Mostly because I'm lazy and dont wanna buy a controller, but also because I think in game, I'm playing with other KeyNMouse guys. When you cant just snap to head it makes shootouts between players more tense. Cover matters. Taking time to aim matters. If you want to get some guys you might have to plan it out.

This game is not designed for freeaim. You're not going to hit poo poo from a horse, for instance. Very very occasionally I'll bring a hand off my controller to use the rolling block, but for the most part the game is so much more comfortable on a controller.

I don't know if you played GTA Online, but people on assisted aim vs free aim are in different lobbies. And assisted aim is not at all good with a mouse. If you're playing assisted aim, you're playing with other controller users.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
loving poo poo myself going into a lone cabin in the Northwest. Surprise grizzly inside.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

TorakFade posted:

OK got it, hopefully next ones will be more shooty-shooty from the start, I was a bit confused :)

Is it still true that you have to turn in bounties as late as possible to maximize the reward, as I've read on many websites? It sounds like a really bad mechanic... like punishing you for working quickly and efficiently :confused:

Yep! It's a mechanic solely meant to dissuade cheaters even though it doesn't make any sense at all otherwise.. :rockstar:

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
On the bright side, I’m finding single player delightful. Going for 100% and it’s so much more fulfilling than online right now.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I changed my control settings to Standard FPS and I think I’m going to like it better in the long run, but it does feel a little sluggish. Is there some sort of auto-run? I want my left stick to have that light jog speed by default and clicking it in once to sprint.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Flakey posted:

I've not run in to many bugs playing online so far, but yesterday there was a tarot card in a little stables/barn type building sitting on a window sill that I couldn't pick up. Could press the button when prompted, but nothing happened. Was the last one I needed for the set too. :( Couldn't pick up the bottle of moonshine next to it either until I shot it off its perch.

Wait until you try and grab an Egret egg.

I run into a bug every 5 minutes in Online. It's really loving bad.

Zesty fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Jan 18, 2020

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Flakey posted:

The first time I tried to get an egg out of a tree it wouldn't come down and I've not bothered with eggs since. :v:

The Egret egg in the tree in Lagras always gets stuck when shot from one direction. However, you can use a carriage to go get it as a workaround. Still extremely dumb.

If any Egret egg spawns in it's tree without a nest, you can't get it down unless your carriage is high enough to go get it. This is not always possible.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Flakey posted:

Tried fishing for the first time last night because there was a daily to catch some lake sturgeon. Got a fishing pole, got some lake lure, went fishin'. Everything is cool until I actually get a bite, at which point it became impossible to reel in quickly. The little icon on the bottom right was spinning fast along with my inputs, but my character didn't increase speed at all. This made it impossible to reel anything in as the fish would swim away and reel out more line than I could reel back while it was tired and not struggling. Good times! :rockstar:

Even if it doesn't look like your character is reeling in as fast as you're spinning the stick, it is reeling. But that is super uncomfortable so go change that setting to "hold x to reel". The real trick for speed is to pull down on the LEFT stick every 2 seconds.

and just make sure you're not reeling or yanking on your pole when the fish is struggling.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
There's quite a few control schemes available. What are you trying to change?

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Game is actually kind of fun the one time out of five times that a cheater isn't in the match.

But jesus, look at those spoilsports with zero score who spend all of their time shooting people spawning rather than doing the objective. The free roam events are so fundamentally broken even without cheaters.

Zesty fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Jan 21, 2020

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Oh it didn’t even occur to me he was on keyboard/mouse. Definitely go for an Xbox controller for pc gaming whenever you comfortably can.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Most fun? Bounty Hunting has legendary bounties which can be a fun PVE thing with friends.

I did Collector first because you can use online maps for collection items and get thousands of dollars a day if that kind of monotony is something you don’t mind while watching TV or listening to podcasts or something.

Trader feels grindy AND it’s not rewarding. I haven’t played with Moonshiner yet but it seems to be much the same.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
If anyone needs 3 rats collected, there are a bunch of the Elysian Pool cave behind the waterfall. Found 4 rats in that big room with the skylight.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Still need another 3-Star Panther for the best saddle.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I had no trouble shooting hats off NPCs in Blackwater. I didn't even need to make them hostile first.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
You’ll eventually get the option to spend several hundred dollars to increase the payout slightly.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Yeah goes up to 1/2 a gold per daily. From... 1/5 a gold per, I think.

Zesty fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Jan 26, 2020

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Single Player is good. Worth doing all the things in it for 100% + Achievements and learning all the ins and outs of all the guns there where it’s easy and cheap.

Keeping up with dailies on multiplayer. Not going too crazy with it. But worth building up that gold and daily streaks.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
The only gambler one that sucked was the Blackjack "win a hand where you hit at least 3 times... three times total." But that one is the loving worst of any challenge.

Once your past it, winning a few games of dominoes in a row isn't so bad.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Morter posted:

Is there a way I can still be in my red Shotgun Coat and still be suited for colder weather? :(

Many items will say 'pair with other items to keep warm!' but I have gloves, chaps, nice boots, a vest and neckerchief and still not warm enough

To answer your question in particular, yes. It's worth 1 point and you need 3 more points of warmth to be suitable for cold weather. I've been working on the warmth problem for a little bit now. It's been such a pain googling around and experimenting.

Different pieces of clothing have different warmth points. Your total depends on how warm the outfit is.

• If your total is 0 to 2 points, the clothing is suitable for Hot weather. Roughly 72 degrees+
  • If your total is 3, it's suitable for Average temperature.
  • If it's 4+, it's suitable for Cold weather, somewhere below 50 degrees.

The in-game list of clothing sometimes tells you if clothing is warm. You can use the Social Club website and look at the catalogue. It will be unclear how many warmth points each item is worth though unless you know the language.

• Slightly Warm is 1 point.
  • Reasonably Warm is 2 points.
  • Warm is 3 points.
  • Very Warm is 4 points.

Guidelines per type:

• All Coats are worth some amount of points. Between 2 and 4. I'm haven't scanned through them all to see if there were any 1 point coats.
  • All Ponchos except the Rebellion and Torras have 1 warmth.
  • At least three Hats have warmth. Woolen (1), Bartley (2), Sobol (2).
  • No Pants have any warmth.
  • All Gloves have 1 warmth. Doesn't matter if the fingers cut off or they're thick winter gloves. All 1.
  • Some Shirts have 1 warmth. Donegal Sweater, Farley Shirt, Lautnip Shirt, Stringham Shirt, Tillson Sweater, Wool Shirt, Woolen Sweater.
  • Some Vests have warmth and a few of them are variable based on the color/fabric.
  • Warm Boots: Strayhorn (2 points). Aguirre, Salter, Cerrada, Millard, Hightop (all 1 point).

There are a couple other random warm items here and there. But like I said in the vest section, Rockstar did change the warmth value on some items based on color/fabric, so look at out for that on the Social Club website before you spend your money. Just. So. Dumb.

:rockstar:

and some tips:

Warm boots look like poo poo? Throw some halfchaps over them. Not all boots can be covered this way though. The Hightop Moccasins can't.

There's a couple scarves. The Neck Scarf says it's warm in it's description and looks low key enough that you might think it'd be good for a free warmth point. It does not have any warmth. Someone must have entered a variable wrong. The other, the Inglett Scarf, does provide 1 warmth, but it looks frizzy and ridiculous. You may like it though?

Hey look, I provided Red Dead Online info without turning it into a youtube video like everyone else does for that sweet google money. Like and Subscribe.

Zesty fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Jan 28, 2020

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I came at it from a Red Dead Online perspective, but you still get the general idea for Single Player as well.

I'm having the hardest time getting the Average Temp Outfit looking right. I just can't get that extra point and still have my look.

Zesty fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Jan 28, 2020

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
So I cleaned that up a bit and put it on the Red Dead Wiki and the administrator deleted it, calling it "irrelevant" and "nonsense." :downs:

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Clothing is expensive so it becomes easy to get used to starter gear. My favorite outfit is mostly what I got very early on even though I can afford and have experimented with more.

My new outfits for different temperatures are just variants on it. If I remember, I’ll post it tomorrow.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I appreciate that people find it useful. Thank you.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Hexenritter posted:

What a fuckwit. That is legitimately a very, very good guide clarifying an obtuse in-game system which doesn't explain any of that outside of "hurr some clothing is warmer than others."

^^^ this.

I hid it in the "weather in redemption 2" page.

I was wondering why that wiki is devoid of useful information. It doesn't have a list of ability cards, for example. Now I know. I might shop around for a decent wiki.

ElTacoGato posted:

Is there a good way to kill chipmunks? I need a perfect carcass to mail in, but despite using a bow with small game arrows (I've triple checked to make sure its the small game ones), it just seems to keep... exploding the carcasses. I kill them in deadeye, get the honor popup for a good kill or whatever, but when I get over to where the carcass should be, it's just the arrow and some blood.

I believe small game arrows and aim for the head. As someone else mentioned, go get the Legendary Buck trinket. I believe the Legendary Buck is the one west of Strawberry around the Cougar spawn point. Across the street from the Trapper.

If you're really into getting 100% and seeing all the content, it's totally worth getting all the Legendary Animal trinkets early on. I did it in Chapter 3.

Zesty fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Jan 29, 2020

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Paint target on the head for sure, yeah.

Varmint rifle is better for birds in the sky if you need that perfect carcass. Otherwise, a bolt rifle is the most accurate and a longer distance for auto-aim and a lancaster repeater is faster shooting and more accurate than a varmint.

I never have trouble keeping my arrow supplies in check. You can craft new arrows anywhere. Speaking of which, get the best satchel so you can carry more of everything as early as you possibly can. All the upgrades before the final one merely double what you can carry, but the final upgrade allows you to stack almost everything to 99.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I made a steam guide for it as well. Easy to find with even basic search terms.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
In an effort to collect more information for easier use, a Hunting/Fishing Guide.

I might just make guides for everything I'm constantly looking up.

Zesty fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Jan 31, 2020

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Today I went in and smoked 3 cigarettes (out of 5 for the daily) before being disconnected within 30 seconds of logging in.

When I finally got back in, I was still at 0/5.

This game. :rockstar:

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I use a Black Arabian.

Superior Handling. Skittish as all hell. 9 Speed/Acceleration.

Low profile and black so it and I blend in pretty well, especially at night. So it feels like a good PvP horse for my playstyle.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Game crashes whenever I use incendiary ammo now.

I look online to what fixes it. "Turn up your particle settings because low settings crash the game." :rockstar:

Zesty fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Feb 6, 2020

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Is there any value in buying a bar for your moonshine shack? Collects money or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Google tells me hitting a bounty target with a tracking arrow prevents them from "escaping" and gives them one hell of a stamina drain.

So presumably it'd be good for having multiple bounty targets you want to bring in alive. You know, in case you want to make $30 rather than $20. :rockstar: