Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
This is me, five months ago replying to someone trying to figure out what the rumored "Naturalist" role could be:

quote:

Could be a conglomerate of a lot of ideas. Finding rare Plants/Herbs, Studying Animals, Fishing, some sort of Photography element. I think filling out the compendium will play a big part.

The idea would make it feel distinct from the other roles while still being a continuation of the feeling you get from Collector, like how Moonshine works compared to Trader.

Not too shabby.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

GrumpyGoesWest posted:

I'm glad I'm not the only one who had trouble with that drat fox. After I failed that mission the wife said you know people generally hunt foxes on horses. I needed to take a walk after that.

The Cross Fox was my first legendary hunt in online as well! I was expecting legendaries to be like Single Player so I left my horse behind and snuck around for loving MILES as it brought me all around Lemoyne. Eventually when I realized I could have used my horse, it was SO far out of despawn range... not despawning... and not coming when called.

I did manage to finish chasing the Fox on foot, but that thing was FAST. I started in the NW corner of Lemoyne and it finally got knocked out at the northern entrance of Saint Denis.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

GrumpyGoesWest posted:

I haven't tried doing it again yet. I might use some tonics to cover my scent. How many shots did it take to get him down?

A trillion? Maybe only needs 4? I just kept shooting until he dropped. Catching up was the annoying part.

I don't bother with any of the tonics or pheromones or whatever. I think those would be more useful in free roam. I think you'll do just fine by introducing your horse to that particular situation. Though Legendary Animal missions do get randomized a bit and the same Legendary doesn't always have the same scenario.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Isn’t that how it works and the others are random finds in free roam and events?

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I’m not certain, but Harriet seems to have about 6 options right now as missions.

Others can be found in freeroam events like Animal Tagging and Legendary Protection.

A lot are just random finds in freeroam.

^ Pretty certain on the above. I THINK Rockstar is also cycling through a bunch that come in and out of availability. Because they’re trying to keep players around but don’t understand what actually retains players (such as not being dicked with by cheaters all the loving time)

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I got Sapa Cougar credit because I saw someone else's knocked out on the minimap. Ran over, drew a sample. Revived it. Got my picture. Tranqed it again.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
https://thumbs.gfycat.com/SleepyGranularKinglet-mobile.mp4

:nallears:

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Cheaters are bad, but this game would be bad if there weren't other players to grief interact with.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Cage posted:

Ya sounds great.

Is this supposed to be a dig? You don't see how the two thoughts "Empty sessions would be boring" and "cheaters are bad" are compatible?

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Outlaw Pass 3 maxed. Naturalist 20. Gold reserves back up to 120. Cash at 4k. Looks like it's getting time to hibernate until next update. Just want to finish the non-legendaries in the compendium. Just missing some snakes, cows, and one of each panther needs to be found.

Zesty fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Aug 9, 2020

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Cage posted:

I guess you could've just helped him instead of telling him how to play. :shrug:

If it was just about giving him the info, you wouldn't have attempted doing a gotcha that didn't have anything to do with it.

Let go of that grudge, Cage.

Zesty fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Aug 10, 2020

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Snarling cougar emote?

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

GHOST_BUTT posted:

Hunting panthers is impossible. Anyone who says they've done it is lying.

Getting the pictures was a bit of luck. One of the panthers attacked a passerby and I had enough time to get it. The other one I got a picture of after reviving it and letting it run off into the open. Hunting them isn't hard at all. That's just shooting them before they get you.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Zutaten posted:

I know you said single player, but does bait ever work in online? Even after they fixed animals I have never gotten it to work.

Bait doesn't even work how you think in single player. It doesn't spawn animals. It only attracts them if they happen to be really close already. You're better off just combing the area on your horse in most situations if you're trying to find a specific animal.

edit:

Ygolonac posted:

What little I've done with bait in Online seems to reflect how it works in SP - it'll drawn in things that have spawned already first, and then *maybe* if something spawns it'll attract.

"Lemme dump a dead deer and a couple Potent predbaits here, get me a grizzly!"

<watches the area coyotes wander in>

I didn't bother to read the thread. Sorry.

Zesty fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Aug 22, 2020

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Capn Beeb posted:

I've been seeing more panthers lately around Stillwater Creek, and that spot on the map that's where the Y in Lemoyne is

https://jeanropke.github.io/RDOMap/

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Different maps, I think. Same guy.

For your bookmarks:

Collections

Animals, Herbs, Fish, and Online Encounters

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

FreudianSlippers posted:

Wasn't the (probably apocryphal) law in the West that anyone who went for his gun first was justified homicide?

Cardiovorax posted:

In general terms, I think it pretty much still is. Pulling a deadly weapon on someone is grounds for self-defense with equal force.

But that jive with what western movies taught me was real.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Nope.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Collector.

Keep your daily streak going for gold as well. Gold can be used as a substitute for cash in a lot of situations and is an excellent use for it after you got all the roles, a club membership, and a black arabian.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Always turn in full sets. You can have 10 of each collectible.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
You interested in Single Player or online?

I really enjoyed Single Player. I wouldn't pay 60 bucks for it though.

Online is a constant disappointment.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Cheaters are extremely common. The content is really weak, especially compared to single player. Lobbies for structured PVP don’t get populated properly.

The only fun thing to do is to pick fights in free roam. People take the grind very seriously, just like GTA.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
:thunk:

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Yes, cheaters are extremely common on PC.

Today was a fun day of trying to get a single daily done and get the banded alligator photographed/skinned.

Log in. Told the game to go straight to camp. I'm in the middle of nowhere instead. Easiest daily is distanced traveled. About 15k units of whatever measurement it uses. Start riding my horse vaguely heading towards Harriet. 5 minutes later, I check out my progress. Notice I'm one of 2 players in the player list for the whole session. I'm currently 3/15,000 units of distance traveled. Game crashes 5 seconds later.

Reset game in case it's a cheater breaking the client, as they do. Log in. One of 3 people in the entire session. Ride straight to harriet. She's not there. Her camp is there, the NPC is not. Look around, not a single animal or NPC in the entire loving game.

Reset game. One of six people in the session. Harriet is there. Manage to get my gator mission. You're not allowed to take your camera out if you're anywhere close to the legendary target. Have to play the stupid game of running as far away as possible for no reason, even though the alligator isn't hostile yet, until it lets me take out the camera. RUN back because you can't use it on a horse. Whatever. Picture taken. 10 rolling block sniper rifle hits to the face later, it dies. Skin it. Turn it in to Gus. Get the distance traveled daily. Took way longer than it should have and the game had to be restarted twice.

Online is just fundamentally broken and frustrating all the time.

Zesty fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Sep 1, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Immersion ruined. Uninstall.