Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

UnknownMercenary posted:

I got this at the Heartland Oil Fields by riding up the hill top to the northwest and looking at a guard through a long scoped Rolling Block so he wouldn't despawn and then walking back as far as I could and eventually got it. This challenge is a total pain in the rear end because it's so hard to get it without the game just going "no we're just gonna despawn poo poo/not even render it because it's too far away".

RDR2's challenges really making some of the bullshit from RDR1 seem super tame in comparison.

I dunno, they haven't sent me to kill a few bears with a big Marble's hunting knife. gently caress, now I want to try cleavering a cougar but I can't normally get that close.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

This game has got us sharing good fishing spots, hunting tips, and tall tales. I love it.

I feel like there are problems with vendor/incidental dialog that take away from some neat things. For example the fur trader mentions the legendary animals/fish and their approximate locations so you don't just have to stumble into them. A post office worker told me about a findable axe around Wallace station, etc etc. Neat, little clues in context help build up this little world.

Let's go back to the fur trader, because I think we have all been there often. When you leave the buy or sell screen the main character sometimes says, "Thank you, you're very helpful". Not for the services but for sharing info (?) Problem is the vendor didn't say his line. I think the game treats any interaction with the vendor as a "stranger event", just like giving money to the drunk beggar results in you being told about a robbery target. Too many thing going on for any one thing to work correctly 100% of the time.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Discovery: the horse will slide all the down Mount Hagen with the r1 button held down.

Geralt White Snowboarding: Wild Wild West Edition.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

AndyElusive posted:

Same but with snakes. They're really difficult to spot.

Rattlesnakes are the easiest of the snakes to hunt. Bluemarsh between the B and the L, also along the Dakota River north of Valentine. Your horse will mark them for you, they are the only predator dot on the radar that won't run straight at you. Get off the horse and run up on them until they coil up in defense. Easy headshot.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Hobo Clown posted:

What platform are people experiencing the disappearing weapons/bullets/horses stuff on? I've got about 50 hours logged on regular PS4 and haven't had anything like that happen. The only real weirdness I've had is that random fire circle outside of Rhodes, and I'm not 100% sure that was unintentional.

Regular Ps4 for me as well. Missing .22 ammo, a few "lost" shotguns, some missing dialog/broken triggers related to camp quests, pretty much a little of what everyone else has seen. The only thing that has required a reset is Javier's unending fishing trip.

Donkey lady is not a bug this time 'round.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

uncle w benefits posted:

I dislike the crossdraw and the idea of dual wielding single action revolvers.

Can I remove it?

Kind of. If you sleep at John's house and there is a cutscene where he strips down to a union suit to slumber, when you wake and dress all of the holsters disappear. They can be added back one at a time through the equipment menu. It doesn't always work and selecting akimbo pistols or any saved outfit adds the scond holster back. Bizarre.

I guess the cross draw makes sense in context. You are a highwayman, and as such ride a horse often. May as well follow cavalry practice. poo poo, I've seen bicycle cops around here wearing their guns the same way.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

The Narrator posted:

Edit: I would very much like to see Arthur interact with Solid Snake

What do you think happens to all the skinless small animal corpses Arthur leaves laying around?

"You gonna finish that?"

What do MGS3, RDR2, and Mad Max (the game) have in common?

They all let you eat human by proxy.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Red Dead Revolution.

1917, freshly minted Lance Corporal Marston spends a few tutorial missions on recon to the German lines at night in preparation of an early morning attack. The attack is a bloody, explodey success, leaving Jack injured and shell-shocked.

1919, now veteran soldier Jack Marston tags along with the US Navy to Vladivostok with a mission to establish contact with a Czechoslovak Legion-alike. Gets attacked by (?) while on the trail and presumed dead, he is left behind. No way to go but forward. Spend the game working your way west across tundra, steppe, mountains, forests, etc. in pursuit of and then alongside the not-CZ legion armored train. Follow/forge a trail of destruction through a world full of Anarchists, Bolsheviks, mad warlords, insane religious factions, brutal government troops, etc. Really watch the revolutionary fires start to burn as you go on.

Equipment wise it follows the RDR theme. You got your lever action Remington 1895s, .44 Russian S&Ws (read: Schofields), Berdan single-shots, the Mosin, plenty of Mauser broom handles. Then there are some of the unique things like tachankas, armored trains, early tanks, the whole nine yards.

Setting it in Russia from north-east through to the south-west on into Eastern Europe and Central Europe provides a range of biomes and would allow for a wide selection of animals. Mostly bears.

Let the story show Jack seeing first hand an unraveling of the world that the Van der Linde gang fought against and lost to, I dunno. Something, something late Victorian American political consciousness, the cost of conforming the world to ideals, violence as a form of communicaton, on and on.

Tldr: RDR as Ostern.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

webmeister posted:

I’ve forgotten exactly when RDR1 takes place, but the Mexican Revolution was about 1910-1920, which I think post-dates it.

With regard to the money thing, I think it’s just one of those dumb things that doesn’t make any sense in an open world game with a story. Like in GTA San Andreas, where the entire plot is driven by Tenpenny blackmailing you over the death of a police officer, and by the end of the story you’ve killed hundreds of cops, many in cold blood.