Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
How do you actually deal with lawmen??

It seems like the best answer is: Let yourself be killed.

That feels really bad. But unless its a minor crime and you happen to already be on a horse on your way away from the crime, you're pretty hosed. Fighting the law can only make things infinitely worse.

I guess that's way more realistic than GTA, but man does it feel bad to have a $200 bounty on my head because my horse dared bump into a guy, 20 guys shot my horse and chased me for 30 minutes, and then after I finally gave up and killed them more just showed up.

Bah.

Oh and for good measure all the 5 pristine deer pelts I was on my way to sell are now gone. Goddamn this game sometimes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

veni veni veni posted:

I feel like I spend 50% of my time playing this game in awe of how cool the world is and how entertaining the story is, and the other 50% wanting to chuck my controller against the wall because I have never hated the control decisions in a game so much in my life. Never. The only thing that even comes close is the Witcher 3 and it was still like 5 times more intuitive than this game.

Its seriously Assassin's Creed levels of "no, I pushed the other button, I didn't want you to do that I wanted you to ---- why are you climbing up the building? goddamnit now I have to start over"

The game is gorgeous and insanely detailed but it really feels like someone at R* was more interested in making a virtual reality than a game.

Lots of typical Rockstar design imbalances too. Like you can spend $40 on something that upgrades your gear or slows degredation or you can spend $200 to... have an engraving on one of your 20 guns which you're just going to replace in a few hours with a better gun and then you'll have to spend $200 to have an engraving on that gun?

Like what the gently caress. Why would anybody take the time to hunt animals and gather carving materials of all these perfect pristine hides just so they can have a skull over one of the wagons? These things should have gameplay bonuses or be way cheaper. Having purely cosmetic upgrades be MORE expensive than mechanical upgrades is insanity.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

This game really is pretty crazy.

Got past all the tutorial poo poo in the first couple chapters and things really opened up and now I get all the mechanics. And it works, just frustrating waiting for them to give you permission to do things one at a time, like GTA4.

Man, if only this was co-op. RDR2 Online can't get here soon enough.

shut up blegum posted:

I've explored a ton of stuff and still haven't found any cool hats :downsgun:

I got in a bar fight with some trapper guy in a bar and took his coon-skin hat which the game said was special but is apparently still fairly common. Still, felt pretty baller.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Lastdancer posted:

Is there a way to rob a bank in this game that doesn't involve a one-time story mission. I'm pretty sure the answer is no and I don't mind if that's the case, but it'd sure be nice.

I believe the answer is no but I also believe you can rob anybody anywhere at any time by pointing your gun at them, including just buying a train ticket and then robbing everybody onboard, or robbing stores. Pretty much the same thing?

Also you can rob certain stagecoaches and they have locked boxes you can shoot (or use the special prybar) to get some nice loot.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Necrosaro posted:

Is there a difference between the medium and short scope on the springfield rifle? I don't see the stats move and I tried them both in scope mode. I can't tell if there is a difference but I'm not sure if I'm missing something else.

The stats don't change; the magnification of scope mode does. Its a difference. I find the long scope to be too zoomed in to be useful.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

So I figured out that eventually if you have a bounty you can't afford you can just let bounty hunters arrest you, put you in jail, and you'll just lose all the money you do have :(

Is there no way for YOU to call for the lawmen?

I literally had a guy bust into the Sheriff's office while I was getting a bounty from the wall, he started punching me, and the Sheriff just stood there. I'm pretty positive if I so much as defended myself it'd count as assault. Game's a little weird.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Lastdancer posted:

Ah darn. Robbin' folks just isn't quite the same. Stores and stagecoaches should tide me over though. Are trains really worth it? Can you raid the luggage car like in the story mission or is it just passengers?

You totally can raid the luggage car. In fact, I've found you can raid the rear luggage car without anybody even noticing the crime. People won't let you get into the front cars though without a scuffle.

If nothing else it gets you back the cost of your train ticket lol.

And yeah, GTA5 / GTA Online let you rob convenience stores for a pittance, but I don't know why they didn't just let you rob banks whenever you wanted. Make it pay more than robbing a convenience store but give you like an instant 4-5 stars and if you don't get away from your wanted level, you don't get the money. That'd be fun as hell; break the bank, shoot lots of cops, and then see if you can escape alive or not. Then that bank would close for awhile and you could go do it somewhere else.

But R* seems really entrenched in how they design games at this point.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

DOUBLE CLICK HERE posted:

You can find a lawman, punch him, and immediately surrender to serve to time. Still lose your money though, so spend it beforehand.

I guess that's a shortcut to having to wait for bounty hunters.

But what I'm really wondering is, if someone else is committing a crime against you, is there no recourse? If someone shoots at you, even if lawmen see it happen they do nothing.

If you have a bounty on you I guess that makes sense but if you don't its not really fair.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Mailer posted:

Whomever designed random travel deserves to burn in hell with the same guy who thought the same button to talk should be aim weapon.

This one really blows my mind.

Gotta manually holster your gun to talk to anybody every ducking time, or you accidentally threaten them.

What in tarnation, R*

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Nolgthorn posted:

It would be strange if the wild west were taking place for example in a Japan that bordered Mexico.

Yeah but its also strange that its America and has real New York apparently but also not real Saint Dennis and the geography for the borders are all wrong.

I'd figure they'd stick to "not quite historic US" not mix and match

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

doctor 7 posted:

She is but there is a bug where if you do Uncle's mission before other ones then her, John, Abigail and Jack just never spawn at camp.

It sucks and I am now closing up chapter 3 with full satchels debating if I should restart or not.

Oh gently caress, I've been wondering where the gently caress John is. Also feels like I should have access to more missions right now. Ugh what the gently caress.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

The Fool posted:

The bug does not prevent any missions from showing up, it only affects flavor conversations in camps.

Ah, that's good. I only have one mission right now and it didn't seem like the critical path but I guess it is after all.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

I wish you could like turn in crafting materials to the camp that you then intend to craft with later instead of selling or something.

I found a couple perfect pelts but I don't have the 3rd I need to craft a satchel so I guess I'm gonna have these 2 pelts with me for the next 6 hours of gametime or something :v: Is there a limit to how many pelts you can layer up on your horse? I imagine there must be.

Section Z posted:

Meanwhile, my hopes that I can "just tap a shoulder button to cycle through items" on the ground and tables is constantly thwarted because I need to be in the exact milometer facing the exact degree direction for a can of beans to register instead of a worn revolver.

Yeah if they're gonna let you cycle through overlapping items they need to extend the interaction radius. It feels like it was designed to not have a cycle button, so you'd select things by just being right on top of them, and then someone later decided they needed cycle after all but didn't think about how the game could be made better.

Seeing an item flash so fast as you walk past it that you don't even know what it was is the worst feeling. There should also be a delay on the popup disappearing so you can at least READ what that can of peaches was, even if you can't pick it up anymore and have to go walking in circles for a second to find it.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Nov 7, 2018

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Hobo Clown posted:

You can turn in crafting materials to store for later. When you're interacting with Pearson there should be a "Hold X to donate for crafting". It'll go to his inventory and you can do the actual crafting later when you have all the parts. The skinner dude works the same way.

Wow. I wish they made that clear! :|

I guess that explains why donating for crafting appears to give $0. I was thinking maaaaaybe that was the case but I'm not about to risk perfect pelts on R* doing the right thing.

Fellatio del Toro posted:

Wait do I actually have to equip the satchel to get the extra space?

Think so, it seems implied that you can only use one or the other. Otherwise why have a satchel which is "all the others, combined"

For that matter: how the gently caress do you know how much room is left in your satchel? It keeps telling me to throw things away to make room because I'm full but I can't even tell how this works. It doesn't seem like there is a max size, only a max amount of each thing? If so, that message is really confusing. Throwing away chickens to make room for chickens is pointless. It should say "do something with the ones you have, so you can carry more" instead of throw away.

Alternatively, if there is a max capacity of items, not just max per each type, how the gently caress do you know how many slots you have left?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Fought some gangsters, one of their horses falls over and is like bleeding to death and sounds awful and I feel bad so I go and give it all my super special reserved horse medicine and its back to normal!

Well, those things are rare, so lemme just sell this horse real quick before I go back to my current horse, hopefully make myself a little profit...

"You cannot sell Gang horses"

Wow. Wish you had told me that, game. Also wish you'd made it clear this was a "gang horse" in any way. Thanks!

gently caress it I don't even feel bad, that horse will live a long and healthy life now roaming the hills grazing freely with his kind.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

The Fool posted:

No, in the wardrobe a message is displayed indicating that you get the bonus from all satchels regardless of which one is equipped.

Then what does the "does what all other satchels do" satchel do?

gently caress R* is bad at explaining mechanics.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Hobo Clown posted:

The inventory system is weird because you can have room for 4 more silver watches but be completely full of gold watches.

"If only this tin can was filled with peaches instead of corn!"

So it is per-item and not total inventory? Which means the popup was wrong. That's what I thought.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

You can use eagle-eye indoors to find loot :stare:

There's so much in this game that's so easy to miss

Gruckles posted:

The "Greatly expands carrying capacity for all items" satchel provides another huge boost on top of the other ones.

Yeah, in retrospect I had it confused. Its the "you need to get all satchels to get this satchel", not its power is the other ones' powers combined. The power is just even more carrying capacity of everything. I kinda combined them in my head I guess.

crime fighting hog posted:

I am still in chapter 2. Just got tomahawks. How far into the story should I go for more unlocks before pursuing the extra stuff? Because all I've done otherwise is mess around hunting, exploring and crafting.

Now, if you like. Or later if you want. You're far enough most things should be unlocked.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Section Z posted:

While 30 premium cigarettes at once makes me wish I could just smoke em two at a time if it will still make me take one puff then throw it away.

There should definitely be a way to hold X to chainsmoke

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Section Z posted:

My single greatest disappointment in this game is that the cook prompt when holding an animal is just a shortcut to regular campsite crafting.

Is it so wrong that I wanted to cook and eat an entire deer whole, rather than a few slivers at a time? Clearly the game should agree, if I'm so often 10% underweight despite my love of casual hunting.

My horses have been at peak fitness nonstop since the stable tutorial though :buddy:

Yeah, I wanna see an entire deer on a spit roasting, monster hunter style

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Reign Of Pain posted:

I just paid 8.50 so pay some guy to drive me to rhodes and he just got in the carriage and made Arthur drive....uber is hosed up in 1899

Just set a waypoint and then go to cinematic mode and it'll autopilot for you, even on a horse.

The train is instant, but otherwise just use cinematic mode.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Section Z posted:

My hurdle with tiny stuff is that shooting them with small game arrows still seems to gently caress up their pelts for me?

Use the varmint rifle on small game.

The encyclopedia thing tells you which guns to use.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Aranan posted:

1) Is there a way to check to see if Arthur is hot or cold? I have only once seen a tooltip message pop up and I think it was just for the first time. It's easy enough to tell when I'm wading through hip deep snow, but other times I'm not sure.

2) Likewise, how can I be notified if I'm underweight/overweight?

3) For pelts that you carry around on your horse, do I need to hand carry them to Pearson to hold on to them for crafting or can I leave them on my horse outside of camp?

4) Similar to the above stuff, can I easily check on my horse's weight/dirty/etc status? My last horse was a dappled brown thing and always looked dirty. It's easier now that I have the white Arabian, I guess. I went into a stable and the guy accused me of starving my horse which made me very sad. :(

One of the menus lets you check all your statuses. Also progress on health xp and stuff.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

sirbeefalot posted:

Is there something like the Survivalist Maps in the previous game for locating herbs/plants? The only plants I've picked up so far in like 20+ hours of playing have been by sheer luck of me walking past them to get the button prompt. Do they have locations in the compendium after you find them the first time?

Press L3 and R3 and plants will glow

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Hobo Clown posted:

I just hunt from my horse, galloping full speed down those tracker paths and hitting deadeye the second I see movement

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Uhhh is any of the poker high stakes?

I really enjoy hold-em but there's no point in playing 2 hours in order to bust someone only to score $3

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Dunkey nails it again. Although I'd say only the second quarter was great. Minor Chapter 5 location spoilers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fn3g25ZEbak

The man knows how to play open world games

Lmao, fuckin dunk.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Mystic Stylez posted:

can someone explain how hunting works to me? like, what's the difference between me skinning an animal versus taking it whole to the camp/the trapper/the butcher? if I skin it, what's the difference between leaving the carcass behind vs. taking it with me? what I donate to the camp or sell doesn't stick to my inventory so I can use it to craft stuff, right?

AFAIK taking it to the butcher is kinda a bad move. I think it maybe can be worth more? Thing is, you can only ever have one large animal carcass on your horse (plus 2 spots for smaller ones, but that's just turkeys and rabbits) and over time carcasses will rot and be worth nothing, so you have to beeline to somewhere to sell it.

Skinning means you get the meat instantly to your inventory, plus you get a pelt you can put on your horse. You can carry several pelts. You can then sell the pelt and meat or you can cook the meat and eat it or craft with the pelt.

When you donate to camp, some items will say they're worth like $5 or $3, those are just converted to money. The ingredients used to craft in camp will show up as $0, but will be held onto to be used for crafting whenever you want later on, so you don't have to hold on to them until you're ready to craft. But that's only for the things you specifically craft IN camp.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Mystic Stylez posted:

thanks a lot, guys!

another question: how exactly does weapons (and hats, I guess) storage works? like, I dropped my carbine for a shotgun and thought I would lose the carbine forever, but it was still accessible on my horse.

I also took a guy's hat and a message appeared about how this hat would not be saved into my inventory. why that happens and what kind of hat does get saved?

Any gun you buy is permanently available from your horse. Any gun you pickup is only yours as long as you hold it, as soon as you swap it to something else its gone, and if you save and load I believe it goes away.

Similarly, you gotta buy hats or earn them in special ways. However, once you have a hat, no matter how you got it, I think you can go to your outfits and 'save' that hat, and then it'll always be available? None of this is well explained by the game whatsoever so I'm still not positive but that seems right.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Babe Magnet posted:

A real pro-rear end cowboy move is to put a carcass or a large pelt on your horse, steal someone else's horse, put a carcass or large hide on it, and call your own horse to ride behind you so you can haul 2 big things in to the trapper or the camp.

Legend of the West move is to do all of that but steal a third horse (because it WILL run), put a third large pelt on it, and chase down the first stolen horse and rope it before it gets away.

You should be able to hunt with a stagecoach and load up 2,000 lbs of buffalo in the back like Oregon trail

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

super macho dude posted:

Can anyone tell me which satchel i need to craft to get the game to stop telling me "Your satchel is full, therefore you cannot harvest all the items from this animal. Please remove some from your inventory."

Thing is, that section of my satchel (where dead animal parts go) isn't filled up so I don't know which one to upgrade. Is it Materials?

Items fill up on a PER ITEM basis. This is very poorly communicated by R*.

Odds are you have 3 "venison meat" and you're full so you can't pick up more. But its a really dumb message.

Basically sell your meat or cook it so you can pick up more meat, but at the moment dropping meat to pick up the same meat is pointless.

You can have nothing in your inventory but 3 venison meat and you can't pick up venison meat. but you can have 3 of every meat in the game if you want. Its not a realistic inventory system, its a very contrived one.

That said, upgrades to your satchel will bump the max number for certain items, so getting enough satchel upgrades makes it a non-issue. And yes, that's materials.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Nov 8, 2018

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

DrNutt posted:

It's really the first time outside of Elder Scrolls that i'd rather have a weight based inventory system.

Also, my dream for RDR online would be an "Oregon Trail" mode where you and up to 3 other people have a bunch of proc generated wilderness you have to traverse, and only your starting supplies + whatever you can craft in your inventory to use. Getting to Oregon would net you gear and bonuses you could transfer into your regular online file. I guess this idea might be somewhat similar to the way those pvevp areas in the Division work out?

Yeah I really don't care about Red Dead Online so much as Red Dead Co-op.

But they know the money is in catering to whales who wanna buy death machines to troll people with online. :smith:

And nah, that pvevp area in Division was mostly just a big arena full of NPCs and mostly just an area where you gank or get ganked by other players.

I've been wanting a game where you and a group of like 2-4 friends travel across the country on a map, and every so often you trigger some random encounter where it throws you into a level (maybe some procgen, maybe not) and you have to fight through zombies to get supplies or escape or whatever. The same thing could work here too yeah.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Hobo Clown posted:

How overweight can Arthur get? Does his face change? Does his walk animation change? Do people make fun of him?

Rolling as maximum fat CJ in San Andreas was the best thing ever

There's 21 levels of fatness in the game, 10 levels of underweight, normal, and 10 levels of overweight. I bet if you get to level 10 fatty that you're actually pretty chunky.

Like trying to get a max length beard though its probably a bit of an undertaking trying to actually get it to max out.

E: drat, I googled and it looks like it barely makes a physical difference. Lame!

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Ainsley McTree posted:

I’ve apparently been underweight for the entire game, nearly, and haven’t really noticed an issue. I find fights are usually either “I am a badass desperado and I am in completely in control” or “oh no I am surrounded by bears and need to drink a health potion to get through this” with no middle ground where the health debuff would have a noticeable impact.

And fortifying health tonics are so plentiful.

Yeah, I appreciate R* trying to add more depth to combat than what GTA5 had, and the cores vs bars is a decent concept. But man the execution is pretty imbalanced.

Like you said, either I kill everybody trivially or I'm fighting for my life against packs of wolves and its a real question of if I can get the "drink tonic" animation off in time before I get eaten.

For one, with how important they are, the bars should be bigger and so should the cores, and more distinct. Make the bars fill the top of the screen ala Dark Souls, and then have the cores next to them but use the ring around the core instead of the core itself to display the core status. That'd be much clearer so you could keep an eye on it during a fight.

As-is its basically "fight until your screen goes a funny color, then pause and eat carrots, then continue" which is basically skyrim combat, which is... dumb.

Also if you don't use chewing tobacco at the start of every fight you're doing it wrong. Makes everything pretty trivial, and I've literally never had less than 9 chewing tobacco for the entire game. Its always 9 or 10. They're everywhere.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Enderzero posted:

Just ran into a weird possible bug. I camped until midnight and was waiting for a specific encounter that’s supposed to happen at 2 am. Usually time passes just a little too quickly for my taste - 24 hours in 48 minutes - but I noticed it felt like it was taking forever for time to pass. By the time it neared two am and I had done a ton of wandering around the area I timed it: every 30 seconds or so was one minute in game. I closed the game and restarted and a minute was back to 30 minutes in game. I don’t know if it’s the long running sleep/resume cycle messing something up or something the game does on purpose but it was odd.

Night time passes faster than day time does. Its weird but its definitely intentional and actually works kinda well, especially if you don't time it and realize. There may be other exceptions for missions or something.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Bold Robot posted:

A few random questions:

1. If I sell or give the trapper or Pearson a pelt, do I have to craft the item just then, or will it stick around in their "inventory" and be available for crafting whenever I want?

2. Is there a way to fast travel and also get your horse to come with you? I took a train from St. Denis to Riggs, but after the little train cutscene, my horse was still back where I started.

3. Are there other shops like the Doctor in Valentine that you can turn into a little heist, or is that a one-off?

Weird, my horse follows me if I take the train

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Online is fun as expected (although lack of poker is weird, but I expect it'll come at some point)
But man the griefing is just as bad as GTAO.

Hunting online is a total crapshoot since its very easy for someone to just chill in town and headshot you as you are talking to the butcher.
The fact that you can buy from the butcher with a button press but have to fill up a bar to sell to him makes this even worse.

They were smart enough to make it so you can order things with the catalogue and have them go to your camp, and you're safe from other players in your camp. But they didn't think about hunting, or decided hunting should be full of griefing intentionally.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

There are a LOT of missions online. That's great.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

DrNutt posted:

The bummer is that the stranger missions give you squat compared to the story missions, so it makes it seem like money is going to be easy to come by when you're burning through the story missions, but then your payouts amount to like 5-6 bucks typically once you're done with them.

Yeah, this is definitely designed to be a massive long grind like GTAO was, which is lame. But I'm gonna have enough fun cowboying around with my cousin that I don't mind too much. Some of them pay out around $10 which isn't too bad really.

Just did a battle royale and it was a shitshow mess but had fun and came in 4th which paid out pretty well, I wonder if everybody gets about the same as a consolation or if 1st place actually pays really well.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

I don't think I ever actually bought cigarettes from the catalogue in single player because you get so much free from looting NPCs.

But I just bought some online and got a pack of 10. Do other items from the catalog come in bundles of multiple or is it just cigs? Would be really great if the item description mentioned that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Tercio posted:

why wont my gunbelt touch my online character's body? it's like the rings of saturn

Gunbelt physics would be lots of work so they make it the size of the fattest fatty