Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PlisskensEyePatch
Oct 10, 2012
Came home to cowboy and everything is being weird. Tried to start the game and an update notice popped up. Usually not a poblem as Xbone does what's needed when it needs to, usually. Ok, update. Then everything hangs and Xbox restarts.

Now downloading the full 92.5 Gb game as is if it were never installed, which is taking forever because I'm in a Comcast market and it is slower than something unbelievably slow this evening, I assume because other people are rootin and tootin while I wait.

PlisskensEyePatch fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Dec 12, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PlisskensEyePatch
Oct 10, 2012
Just heard a late night sing-along about Otis Miller. I guess he's the Red Dead version of Jesse James, because the song was the Ballad of Jesse James with Otis Miller and the name of his killer swapped in.

Still finding new stuff in this game after a long rear end time of playing.

PlisskensEyePatch
Oct 10, 2012
Has there always been hobo camps at the Cumberland Falls river crossing in RDO?

I don't cross there often and there are tenta and camp fires all over the place.

PlisskensEyePatch
Oct 10, 2012

Mandrel posted:

yet another thing I never encountered and didn’t know about in my hundreds of hours of playing

Started another playthrough yesterday and for the first time saw Strauss sitting around the camp fire and telling his backstory. I have an embarrassing number of hours played and had never seen that before.

PlisskensEyePatch
Oct 10, 2012
2.3 gig update when I tried to start up this morning.

PlisskensEyePatch
Oct 10, 2012

Donovan Trip posted:

Any change to metal detector? I was just about to log in and begin the cycle of abusing the hell out of it

Haven't gotten the detector so can't say. Mostly looks like clothes so far.

New hat looks like a train conductor hat, new poncho looks more like raw skin, couple new shirts one bibbed and one with checks and scrollwork on the shoulders, new pants that look more like the single player saddle pants, couple new boots, fuzzy scarf.

Haven't really noticed anything else just yet.

You can't mix and match the role outfits right? It's set like the Charles outfit you can get?

Eta: maybe a new offhand holster? Sandstorm? It doesn't show up in the weapon catalog, but is the View All list.

PlisskensEyePatch fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Sep 24, 2019

PlisskensEyePatch
Oct 10, 2012
Must have had a delayed or glitched tool tip. Metal detector definitely still works from horseback.

Just got the metal detector and I believe someone had mentioned you could use riding a horse? If so, that is no longer true.

PlisskensEyePatch fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Sep 24, 2019

PlisskensEyePatch
Oct 10, 2012

Funso Banjo posted:

It still works.

Weird. I got a message that it couldn't be used from horseback.

Is it really just a matter of running or riding around until I blips then digging up whatever?

PlisskensEyePatch
Oct 10, 2012
Oof. That Nosalida outfit is certainly something.

To answer my own question on the role outfits, aside from the hats you can't mix and match with standard gear. It seems you can mix between specific role outfits, like the rank three jacket on the rank one pants, but not between roles.

Kind of odd.

PlisskensEyePatch
Oct 10, 2012
You can drift the hunting wagon.

PlisskensEyePatch
Oct 10, 2012
I really thought I'd be into the bounty hunter role, but that's sitting at level 5 while trader and collector are like 13 or 14 already. It's just not as interesting or varied, though that may be because like Major Warren I never bring the bounty in alive.

PlisskensEyePatch
Oct 10, 2012

Transmogrifier posted:

You get more experience for the Bounty role doing the legendary bounties too, so it's worth doing them. You don't need a bounty wagon to do this week's either.

That's good to know. I figured it was a whole gang and I'm still rebuilding my cash flow after buying wagon, shovel, and metal detector.

And lots of Barbie cowboy clothes. Lots.

I'm worried about whoever is coming up with the camo stew recipes. Got one today that's chocolate chili. Ingredients are chocolate bar, game meat (rabbit?), and kidney beans.

PlisskensEyePatch
Oct 10, 2012
I don't know if I'm just lucky, but I've been getting a decent amount of hunting done in Great Plains and Rio Bravo/Tumbleweed areas.

PlisskensEyePatch
Oct 10, 2012

Jimbot posted:

The new legendary bounty is bananas hard. Enemies hit like trucks and the guy himself is a sniper that'd one-shot you - and that's on the one-star difficulty!

I had it easy on my first attempt. Went straight up the middle from the road you spawn on and avoiding the patrols. I wasn't spotted til I was at the foot of the tower, but it was one guard there, one that met m half way, and then I called the sniper. After that it was camping at the top of the tower and then mostly outrunning the followers. I did get pressed by a group into following the horse GPS to the Annesburg jail, but you can definitely go does country to outrun/avoid the chasers.

That was on one star, though, haven't tried again as yet. Did it all on foot until I had the guy on the horse.

I've been playing Wildlands if I get burnt out on Red Dead, so that might have set me on a sneaky sneaky strategy as opposed to a wild west shootout mentality.

PlisskensEyePatch fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Oct 9, 2019

PlisskensEyePatch
Oct 10, 2012
Nazare is is in Big Valley south of hangdog ranch.

Lots of game for hunting there as well, until a pubbie gallops through the pronghorn herd at full speed to get to Nazare and spoils your shot at the last second.

PlisskensEyePatch
Oct 10, 2012

Wolfsheim posted:

-Is the bolt-action still OP? Is the bow worth taking for hunting or is that not really a thing in online? Is any pistol in particular worth getting?
-Can any weapons be found/earned or is it all just purchases? Also, same question but for hats.

You can get the Carcano for free by connecting a Twitch account (I think?) and that's been my go to for hunting pelts to give to Cripps.

I wasn't play when bolt action was OP, so I'm not sure if it still is, but it is pretty reliable for taking out computer bad guys quickly.

PlisskensEyePatch
Oct 10, 2012

Squirrel Burger posted:

locking the hat tip emote behind level 20 trader when i don't care about hunting is an attack on me personally

This was absolutely my motivation for trader stuff.

Gun spinning is the goal for bounty hunter.

PlisskensEyePatch
Oct 10, 2012
The little details in this game are weird. There's a tree west of Wallace station with pots and pans hanging on it and a kettle at the base.

Also, hope they clear the bugs up for PC players. I've been playing this game almost non-stop since launch and that is incredibly rare for me. The only other game I've spent this much time on is Witcher 3.

PlisskensEyePatch
Oct 10, 2012
Navy revolvers are neat. Moonshine delivery adds the "don't go off the road or you'll break your shipment" mechanic.

Overall shine is similar to the trader, select supplies, wait to fill the wagon, take the delivery.

Of course, first batch delivery, almost to the Van Horn saloon, and I get a hard crash to dashboard.

PlisskensEyePatch
Oct 10, 2012

Jimbot posted:

The " don't go off the road or you'll break your shipment" mechanic was already in the game with the trader. The oil wagons had that mechanic and it was kinda annoying, to be honest. One wheel barely hits the grass and you lose a small bit of durability. I hope they adjusted it to not be that finicky.

Huh, never did anything with an oil wagon. Good to know!

When I was doing the attempted run before the crash, I did cut across a field to a road and it depleted the wagon wheel a bit, but I still would have been fine if the game hadn't crashed.

PlisskensEyePatch
Oct 10, 2012
Snowy St Denis looks great. Wishing for a permanent winter version of the map.

PlisskensEyePatch
Oct 10, 2012
No more snow :/

PlisskensEyePatch
Oct 10, 2012

Hihohe posted:

Theres a boat in the lagras swamp where you can sit on the board to the boat. I wonder why they put a specific sit command there.

The west facing hay door in the Valentine Barn is a good spot too.

If you can get on top of it, there's a spot on the Strawberry sheriff's office.

I've kind of been looking for these spots in SP and RDO.

PlisskensEyePatch
Oct 10, 2012
In SP the most obvious one I missed for a while we're the cliffs at the Horseshoe Overlook camp.

Haven't found a sit-able cliff in RDO.

PlisskensEyePatch
Oct 10, 2012
I popped into single player after a long long pause and Rockstar ported some stuff from Online. Haven't messed with SP in a long long time so I was surprised.

Evans repeater, Lemat, and a new automatic pistol like the 1903 from RDR are in the gunships, but gated.

Guess they updated SP with some things after the PC port launched?

On Xbone.

PlisskensEyePatch fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Jan 28, 2020

PlisskensEyePatch
Oct 10, 2012
I forgot to check to confirm before moving on between missions, but the single player Evans unlocks after either the moonshine raid with Dutch and the Deputy in Rhodes or Lenny's raid on Shady Belle if anyone is curious.

Still uncertain about the Lemat or the m1899. Have read conflicting stuff on the like 5 different terrible RDR wikis.

PlisskensEyePatch
Oct 10, 2012

Ygolonac posted:

The second spoiler unlocks the Bolt-Action Rifle.

Yeah, that's just the most recent mission I did before remembering to check if the Evans unlocked.

In fact, it might have been during the same trip to the gunsmith to upgrade the rifle that I checked.

And thanks for the heads up on the early unlock on the bolt action. I'll have to keep an eye out next time I restart. It always kinda sucked that your stuck with just the Springfield for early game hunting.

PlisskensEyePatch fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Jan 30, 2020

PlisskensEyePatch
Oct 10, 2012

Transmogrifier posted:

The Carcano and the Rolling Block scopes can't be toggled. I also prefer the Carcano over the Bolt Action, but it's personal preference.

And you get it free in Online if you have the superduper ultimate edition or whatever.

It was my go to hunting rifle in Online.

PlisskensEyePatch
Oct 10, 2012
I've never gotten the mercy kill option Online. Always figured it just wasn't a thing for some reason.

PlisskensEyePatch
Oct 10, 2012
Update reset my 185 day streak.

PlisskensEyePatch
Oct 10, 2012

Hakarne posted:

If all that's holding you back from playing online is a fear of being ganked you're missing out. Put yourself in defensive mode and you will be ignored 99% of the time. In 110 levels and countless hours I've been attacked exactly twice when I was in defensive mode. And both times I killed the attackers with no effort because you're insanely tanky in defensive. I'm level 20 trader and bootlegger and I've never had a player attack my local deliveries. Never.

This is good advice. I've only run into a handful of assholes, and defensive mode discourages most dipshittery.

Funnest investment so far is the smoking and finger emoji. It's fun when someone attempts to grief by taking potshots and you can stand there smoking then give them the finger before ambling away.

PlisskensEyePatch
Oct 10, 2012
It's a steep investment for one game, but I got an Elite controller for Xbox.

The paddles help, especially with being able to turn the camera while sprinting or horsing.

It also helped with the quickdraw mechanic and a couple other things, since you can set the trigger and analog stick sensitivity to something comfortable. I was having trouble with a stock controller and the default game settings since I have a tremor in my right hand.

https://giphy.com/gifs/blazing-saddles-14oUu8ZpAPuzZK

I'm terrible at BB code and image imbedding. It's the scene you're thinking of.

PlisskensEyePatch
Oct 10, 2012
Trying the gambler challenge 8. Hit three times and win at blackjack.

I've had three blackjacks off the deal in a row.

Like, haven't even had a chance to hit.

Wtf are the odds?

Edit to say that the very next hand, hit once and got blackjack. What is going on?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PlisskensEyePatch
Oct 10, 2012

Timeless Appeal posted:

So, I genuinely think they hosed with the Blackjack logic so it's not as random.

On my last play-through, I would constantly get into these stretches of getting not the same cards, but the same equivalent. Like be dealt fifteen and then be dealt a three when I hit a bunch of times.

Like doing the double down challenges I did in two streaks of it just working with similar sums for the first two cards.

It's crazy how broken this is.