Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ElTacoGato
Oct 11, 2012
I didn't have any real major performance issues, but the new patch has introduced a few new bugs into my game. Waypoints are acting wonky, and the stable guy keeps telling me I have no space for the fancy new Arabian I went out and got, even though I specifically sold off my 4th horse to make room. And I don't have a save from before getting the Arabian since I was nervous about losing it while trekking back through the legendary wolf territory and saving every few minutes. Let me stable my pretty new pony, you jerk. :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElTacoGato
Oct 11, 2012

pmchem posted:

I'm a new collector. I can almost afford a shovel. After I get a shovel, what should I do in order to be able to afford a metal detector? I'm looking for efficient farm. Bounties? Shovel-specific collection?

I got collector just a couple days ago (I just wanted a reason to have nice (fairly) chill rides around the map). I think the first day or two I used the github map and just had it set a route for me to grab everything I was capable of grabbing without the shovel or metal detector. Today I noticed I was only a couple items away from completing all the cards and the alcohol bottles, so I finished those up and ended up turning in all those sets, plus a set of flowers (and a bunch of extra flowers, since I'd managed to stock up on bluebonnets and chocolate daisies). That all got me more than enough for both the shovel and the metal detector, and got me up to, like, collector rank 12 or 13. I probably could have cut down some of the time it took if I had limited myself to just the cards and bottles (and a lot less flowers), but I enjoyed the nice chill rides across the map (and a couple wild fights with wolves and cougars :black101:).

ElTacoGato
Oct 11, 2012

FileNotFound posted:

If you want to just do chill rides - makes sure you turn on the random spawns on the map - those usually require a shovel and detector and can be anything from arrowheads to jewelry. There are a LOT of them and I usually don't bother getting them as the loot is random - but if you are trying to just relax and kill some time certainly do hit them up. Also you can take it up a notch and try to look for the hidden maps at night - but that's tricky.

I'll keep that in mind. Thanks!

ElTacoGato
Oct 11, 2012
Cripps you dumb gently caress, I'm trying to level trader, stop moving my camp to the most wagon inaccessible places imaginable. :argh:

ElTacoGato
Oct 11, 2012
Of the four horses I have, I've found my Criollo and Thoroughbred to be the winners. My dumb starter horse is OK, and my Hungarian Halfbred is a terrible horse who is afraid of a single blade of grass moving in the breeze even at max bonding. Hoping to get a Klad next, or maybe the Fox Trotter since I'm nearing that unlock level.

ElTacoGato
Oct 11, 2012

Capn Beeb posted:

Online has cool quality of life poo poo that wouldn't be out of place at all in single player.

Let me buy more stable space in single player, Rockstar. I want all the pretty ponies. :argh:

Also let me pick herbs and poo poo from horseback. My online horse is so much more helpful than my single player horse in that regard.

ElTacoGato
Oct 11, 2012

Oberst posted:

Nacogdoches + missouri fox trotter

Hell yeah, s'just what I did today since I finally unlocked the Missouri Fox Trotter.

Also quite enjoying the collector saddle on my collector level 20 Criollo.

ElTacoGato
Oct 11, 2012
Is there a good way to kill chipmunks? I need a perfect carcass to mail in, but despite using a bow with small game arrows (I've triple checked to make sure its the small game ones), it just seems to keep... exploding the carcasses. I kill them in deadeye, get the honor popup for a good kill or whatever, but when I get over to where the carcass should be, it's just the arrow and some blood.

ElTacoGato
Oct 11, 2012
Thanks, everyone!

I'm in mid chapter 3 and already have all the legendary animal trinkets I can get currently, including the Buck. I'll try focusing on getting better headshots and see if that helps (I was going back and forth between free aiming and painting the target to let Arthur just shoot whatever got targeted), and will haul out the varmint rifle as well. Fingers crossed for non-exploded carcasses!

ElTacoGato
Oct 11, 2012
Hey, turns out getting frustrated and posting on the Internet does indeed help; used the varmint rifle and got a perfect chipmunk on the second try, and no exploded carcasses. Maybe the game was just pitching a weird fit yesterday. Or these particular chipmunks hadn't been eating whatever the hell the other ones had. Or Arthur is just too stronk with the bow.

PaybackJack posted:

Just remember to unequip your Varmint before going on missions where you might not have horse access. Having a bow on missions is less of a bother but trying to fend of the Rockstar horde of zombies bandits with a varmint rifle is a pain in the rear end.

Learned that lesson the hard way a couple days ago. :downs:

ElTacoGato
Oct 11, 2012

TorakFade posted:

Agreed, you monster

(I think I never ever saw a cat, even in singleplayer :( where can I find them?)

I've seen one in Strawberry hanging around near the butcher/post office.

You can say hello to them but you can't pet them, which is an absolute CRIME. :mad:

ElTacoGato
Oct 11, 2012
And you can be drat sure that I had Bayek stop near every cat I saw in case it wanted to be pet.

:3:

ElTacoGato
Oct 11, 2012

Red_Fred posted:

In single player why do I get ‘bad guy’ tax when I kill a bounty hunters dog? It’s chasing and barking at me. I don’t get the ding when I kill the bounty hunter.

He's being a good boy and doing his job. It's not his fault his job puts him in opposition with you. You deserve it for killing that good good boy. :colbert:

ElTacoGato
Oct 11, 2012
Is there a story thing for Van Horn I've missed about that town being aggressive?

I'm nearing the end of chapter 3. I've been through Van Horn before, and did the stranger mission that started there, but otherwise hadn't done more than ridden through, as there hasn't been any real story stuff up that way yet. Was just riding through to get to the stable when I saw the two men in a duel. Stopped and accepted the winner's challenge. Dueled him and won. Looted his body and that of the guy he'd dueled first. Hopped on my horse and suddenly I'm being attacked from all sides. At first I thought I had been unlocky and there were some lawmen passing by that maybe took issue with me looting the bodies, or maybe I hadn't been supposed to kill the man I'd dueled or something, but then I realized it was waaay too many people attacking me for it to have been the law, and it was just... everyone in town attacking me instead. Finally finished off everyone attacking me and went about looting the bodies. Some gave me a karma ding, some didn't. I never became wanted or anything, despite having to fend off most of the town. It was weird! On my way back down south after visiting the stable I checked at the post office to see if I'd accrued a bounty (nope!) and when I greeted a guy standing around outside he just said "I thought we'd made it clear you aren't welcome here" or something similar. But I've spent hardly any time there, so I can't even figure out what I did to be unwelcome (pre-defending myself against the entire town, I mean; if he was grumpy about me killing most of the town that's understandable, but also they attacked me first!).

Did I somehow stumble into a story thing I didn't realize was a story thing? Was it connected to the dueling guy encounter? Was it just some bizarre coincidence of the town attacking being a separate encounter that just happened to piggy back the dueling guy encounter? Is Van Horn just a batshit hellscape of a town that attacks passersby for funsies?

ElTacoGato
Oct 11, 2012

Der Kyhe posted:

I tried to stop a fight where some rear end hat was trying to drown his girl in the horse watering station and suddenly the entire city jumped on me because I shot into air. I think that city has some fiddly scripting in its hostility system.

Glad it wasn't just me, then, thanks!

Them Van Horn folk need to lay off the booze if it's making them that cranky. :argh:

ElTacoGato
Oct 11, 2012

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Van Horn doesn’t have lawmen and the residents don’t report crimes.

Ooooh. Cool!

Knuc U Kinte posted:

triggered their version of the law which is everyone going ham on your rear end.

:mad: Way to be uncool, Van Horn.

ElTacoGato
Oct 11, 2012

Hakarne posted:

If all that's holding you back from playing online is a fear of being ganked you're missing out. Put yourself in defensive mode and you will be ignored 99% of the time. In 110 levels and countless hours I've been attacked exactly twice when I was in defensive mode. And both times I killed the attackers with no effort because you're insanely tanky in defensive. I'm level 20 trader and bootlegger and I've never had a player attack my local deliveries. Never.

Same. I've had a far bigger problem with mod menu/hacker shenanigans than with other players just being aggressive.

I've also never been attacked on a local delivery. I have run into someone at a drop off point once, but they just pitched in and helped shootin' the baddies, so I wave-thanked them and left the bodies for them to loot.

ElTacoGato
Oct 11, 2012

Au Revoir Shosanna posted:

It's really weird, shooting an animal 14 times in the rear end with "sedative" bullets doesn't exactly feel like conservation. It's just a much sillier, much more difficult form of hunting.

Yeah, especially if it's in a herd and you lose track of which one you've been pumping full of drugs as they all flee. My friend and I were playing together and having one of us lasso and hold the animal still while the other shot it full of sedative, which also felt weird, but at least we could take more careful shots and not feel like we were wasting any. I think it would've made more sense if you only had to shoot it with the sedative once, and then track it until it passed out. Same with reviving; might have felt better if you could either spend the money to revive immediately, or have to wait around a few extra seconds to make sure it comes around fine on its own, maybe with the risk of a predator trying to sneak up on it or something.

Shame so far, because I was really interested in the idea of the role. I love filling out the compendium in singleplayer, and the idea of doing the same online, with the addition of having to take pictures of them all, seemed neat! But so far it's just felt weird and a bit confusing, what with the apparent two paths and the lady getting pissy even if you were doing hunting for a different role.

Also apologies to the fella I got into a firefight with, I swear I was just trying to shoot a pig full of drugs, not attacking your delivery wagon.

ElTacoGato
Oct 11, 2012

Capn Beeb posted:

Harriet drugged me after I killed one (1) animal, so that was cool.

I killed and skinned a bear right in front of her tent and she didn't do anything besides scream at me while it happened. I went over to talk to her immediately after, fully expecting to be drugged and shut out for a bit and figuring I'd just get it over with, and she just said her line about how she'd heard I'd been behaving myself or whatever.

ElTacoGato
Oct 11, 2012
The bull moose I was pumping full of drugs decided to swim out to the middle of Owanjila Lake before passing out, despite my best efforts to keep it close to shore. So I had to play a rousing game of 'push the carcass across the lake before my horse's stamina drains and also before this dumb moose wakes up'. Don't recommend that game, but at least I got the sample and a picture of the thing once it woke up.

Dick Trauma posted:

When you hear this sound you know that death is near...

:3: :3: :3:

ElTacoGato
Oct 11, 2012

It never even occurred to me that doing so would work. :saddowns:

Will definitely do that next time. Thanks!

ElTacoGato
Oct 11, 2012

Au Revoir Shosanna posted:

Just get the missions from Harriet, the legendaries can spawn in free roam but the odds are very low.

I've seen two spawn in free roam so far. One west of Strawberry that I never figured out what it was because I was distracted by an attacking grizzly and by the time I'd sorted that out the gold question mark had vanished.

Then I nearly bowled over whatever the red elk that spawns in the desert is going full speed on my horse down a road at night. Swerved slightly off road to avoid an npc, suddenly got the alert that a legendary was in the area, hardly had time to process that before it was right in front of me. And then it started to attack me while I was on my horse, which I didn't expect, horse threw me and the elk killed me.

Respawned and got the notification that the elk had fled and to try again later. But I could still see its trail in eagle vision, so I followed, found it, shot it full of drugs and got a sample for Harriet.

... Now to find another so I can get its skin.

ElTacoGato
Oct 11, 2012
This probably sounds dumb, but do you have to actually skin the legendary animals and sell the pelt itself to Gus for crafting?

I killed the maza cougar or whatever it was and hauled the whole carcass to him and sold it without skinning it (since I do that in singleplayer and it gives you whatever you need for crafting at the trapper regardless), but there doesn't appear to be anything special I can craft (the 'garment sets' button itself is grayed out and I can't even look to see what sets there are, I'm assuming because this was the first legendary I killed instead of trying to drug and sample, and the hats and stuff in one of the other menus need perfect non-legendary pelts, nothing specifically mentions the maza cougar).

ElTacoGato
Oct 11, 2012
Thanks!

I didn't even think twice about selling the thing whole. Oh well. At least it was one I just stumbled onto randomly and not one I'd been looking for or had spent time specifically trying to hunt down. Next time, dumb cat! :argh:

ElTacoGato
Oct 11, 2012
Did selling single items (rather than an entire collection) to Madam Nazar used to give a bit of XP?

I reached 10 of a number of coins today (while still missing one to be able to complete the set :argh:) so I was selling off a couple of the extras to her and noticed I got money, but not XP. I'd thought they used to give XP, because I swear that's how I used to get XP from things like flowers and cards that I didn't bother getting the complete sets of, but it's entirely possible I'm remembering wrong and used to do that just for the money/got it confused with turning in single samples to Harriet.

ElTacoGato
Oct 11, 2012
I wish the moose hats were ridiculously large in the way that a moose itself is just a ridiculously large animal, but I am happy enough with my collection of cat hats. Sorry, not sorry, Harriet, but a girl's gotta have her cat hats.

That Dark Ram hat is also Very Good.

ElTacoGato
Oct 11, 2012
I really enjoyed the characters, and it's such a beautiful world just to exist in. I've played the story through 3 times now, I think? And now just keep a permanent save in chapter 3/early chapter 4 just to be able to load up and ride out to hunt or wander the map. I use it as a podcast game sometimes, just start from one edge of the map and wander to the other end while listening to a podcast. Very relaxing, occasional wolf attack aside.

Would pay Rockstar good money for DLC that just added new side missions with different members of the gang in each chapter or something. I liked spending time with people in camp and would have enjoyed being able to spend more time with them outside of it too, just to get to know them better / see their interactions with Arthur.

ElTacoGato
Oct 11, 2012

Buschmaki posted:

I'm tired of Dutch's gang and the death of the west setting. Golden Age of the Outlaw game where idk you play as an emancipated slave or something please!

This is where I am too, I think. As much as I would love a game (or DLC, Rockstar :argh:) to play as Sadie, I don't really know if there's much point to a story with her or Jack set post-RDR1. I don't necessarily want to play as a young Dutch (or an unrelated unknown character who hangs out with Dutch and leads up to RDR2 or the formation of the Van der Linde gang or whatever). I'm ready for a new story with new characters. Just let me ride a horsie and rob trains and have fun cowboy times in the west. I don't know exactly what sort of story I'd want them to tell, I just don't know if there's anything more I want or need to know about Dutch and co. at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElTacoGato
Oct 11, 2012
Are they seriously giving the game a SWITCH port and not a PC one?

Rockstar. :argh: