Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inverted Sphere
Aug 19, 2013

So I gotta ask, playing the PC version with a controller, is there any way to make your horse maintain a gallop without having to constantly hit X over and over again? My thumb isn't really digging that much mashing just getting from point A to point B in a timely fashion, and I can't seem to find an option to just be able to hold X to gallop like you could with the mouse/keyboard controls and holding shift.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inverted Sphere
Aug 19, 2013

Well that's annoying as all hell. Having to constantly mash X to sprint on a horse is gonna get old real quick, and I don't like not being able to see my horse's stamina (or the minimap for that matter) in the chase camera mode, that feels like such a strange trade-off to have to make.

Inverted Sphere
Aug 19, 2013

So it's entirely possible that I've simply been struck blind, but I've got the gold to unlock Trader now and I... don't see the butcher's table for sale at the camp anymore. I remember I saw the cutscene with meeting Cripps in town earlier and not having enough gold to actually kick off Trader, what am I missing?

EDIT: Yeah, when I ride into my camp I even get the popup telling me to buy it from the Wilderness Outfitters menu, but when I look it doesn't show up under Equipment for the camp (or any other menu for that matter). Is it bugged? Restarting and changing lobbies didn't help.

Inverted Sphere fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Aug 3, 2020

Inverted Sphere
Aug 19, 2013

Sooooo out of curiosity how -do- you get into a solo lobby anyways? I never quite understood how those worked or how to get one going at will, might as well learn to do that while I'm waiting a small eternity for customer service to get back to me about the wayward butcher's table so I can actually one day do Trader/Moonshiner.

Inverted Sphere
Aug 19, 2013

Thank you, works perfectly! And yeah, I honestly don't mind the whole "could get jumped by or pulled into fights with other people" when it's not somebody magically exploding me from across the map with mind powers, or teleporting next to me while invincible and then killing me a single shot while my bullets literally go through them harmlessly. Unfortunately it seems like it's way more often somebody's doing poo poo with a mod menu rather than just, yanno, trying to shoot me or doing something where I can actually shoot back.

Honestly it's annoying as hell because half the charm is absolutely in the constant risk that things could suddenly go sideways and you're never quite sure what to expect out of strangers. But it feels like there's been a such a massive spike in the number of hackers that it's never something neat or fun or even just a good 'ol fashioned shootout happens anymore, it's way more likely I'm suddenly a thousand feet in the air or my horse suddenly explodes with me on it or everyone in the session is suddenly pulled into one spot and then everything is exploding or so on so forth, to say nothing of all the strange bugs like animal spawns breaking, NPC's disappearing into the ether like every butcher on the map suddenly deciding they're on holiday, or any combination of the above.

And that makes me sad, so it's nice to sometimes have the option be able to do something knowing I'm at least not going to randomly explode. Does make me sometimes wonder if getting the PC version was a mistake instead of going PS4, especially now that I've warmed up to playing with a controller. (I do have to hand it to Zesty, aiming with a controller is so much easier and smoother it isn't even funny, and I say this as someone who almost always prefers mouse and keyboard.)

EDIT: Aaaaand nevermind, that's three times in a row where with those ports blocked I just get disconnected within about five minutes once I'm in a solo lobby (or basically as soon as I move more than a very tiny distance away from wherever I load in) seems like they've done something to patch it out or prevent the method that was linked from working. They can't stop the cheaters but they can stop us from getting away from them, I see.

Inverted Sphere fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Aug 9, 2020

Inverted Sphere
Aug 19, 2013

Ygolonac posted:

The firewall/GTAO-solo-mod thing was having issues for me, where the session would be solo for a while, and then would be merged into another server or something and welp no mo' solo.

This one (which Rockstar will likely put a urgent rush patch together to "fix") worked like a charm. Didn't try the "match strings to allow friends in" at this time, because I'm your basic troubled loner with no one to play with. <shrug>

https://www.reddit.com/r/RedDeadOnl...need_for_other/

You are a gentleman and a scholar, this worked perfectly. Now I just need them to fix it so I can actually unlock Trader! (Sent in a ticket start of last week, got told it was being escalated to a different department the next day aaaand radio silence since then. I really don't want to have to totally remake my character to unlock two of the roles.)

Inverted Sphere
Aug 19, 2013

Yeah it's uh, kind of surreal just how much the patch today broke the game. Usually I roll my eyes at all the "THE GAME IS LITERALLY UNPLAYABLE" complaints online but it sounds like for once that's actually not an overstatement. I'm lucky enough to be on the PC version which seems to have avoided the worst of it but even so, it seems like there's far more stuff broken or acting strange than stuff that actually seems to be fixed.

And the PS4 version sound legitimately so unstable and broken that it's actually not feasible to play right now.

Inverted Sphere
Aug 19, 2013

Ygolonac posted:

Awww, that mod for solo lobbies got flagged when i went to play a few minutes ago.

I'll try yanking it back out, loading to see if I'm banned, and then back out and reinstall.

Aww damnit, it doesn't work anymore? I haven't tried yet today but that'd just figure, I really enjoy how much more full the world feels with actual stuff and things in solo/small lobbies.

Inverted Sphere
Aug 19, 2013

Ygolonac posted:

Quick (well, like a couple hours of screwing around)testing after removing the "boot_launcher_flow.ymt" file resulted in 1) no more warnings, 2) solo just fine and 3) Iguga and Teca hoodies. And the kitty I just stumbled into as I was going after a boar, and I guess the drizzly rain was enough for Fancy Feast to spawn.

Only change was the Rockstar bootscreens reappearing, and I can live with that.

Ah, alright then, so just remove that one file and all should still be well then? Excellent. Wonder if that was something that started with the recent patch that broke everything on the PS4 version or something else?

Inverted Sphere
Aug 19, 2013

Is it wrong if I've started quietly dreading it whenever I see there's a new update?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inverted Sphere
Aug 19, 2013

It's kind of insane how many more random events and such are spawning in smaller (or solo) lobbies, I honestly didn't know like 90% of these random encounters existed. Hell, for a pretty good while I didn't know there -were- random encounters.