Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Can you hogtie people and leave them on the railroad tracks like an old timey silent film villain?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

On the plus side, the game runs great on my PC. I'm playing at 1080p with a GTX 1070, though, so it ought to run well. It's a very pretty game. Very atmospheric.

On the other hand, the controls are awful. I've tried both controller and mouse and keyboard and neither works on its own. Horses are impossible to steer with WASD and guns are impossible to aim with a pad. And there are so many menus. Menus buried within menus to access anything. Multiple inventory systems and I can't yet keep track of what goes in which inventory. It's close enough to GTA's controls to feel familiar, but different enough to hurt my brain.

All that is stuff I'll get used to as I play, if I keep playing. But I played online for 12 or so hours and found nothing to do. All I want is solo PvE content. Other players are the same aimbot murderers they were in GTAO, every city I visited was a war zone, and every blue dot on the map becomes a stress headache as I wait for it to inevitably turn red and run me down. Why the gently caress isn't there a private session or passive mode

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Glenn Quebec posted:

For horses on keyboard change the controls to be relative to the horse not to the camera

It's still a bit awkward, but this helped tremendously.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

By the way, if you add the Rockstar Launcher to Steam as a non-Steam game, the Steam overlay works along with its screenshot tool. Hopefully anticheat doesn't decide to hate it.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

They need to make friends visible on the map and make it quicker and easier to reach them.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I'm not sure if this is a dumb question, but I just hit level 10 in Bounty Hunting and I see the hair it unlocked costs gold. If I buy this, change it to something else, then want to use it again, will it cost gold again? Because I'm not spending gold on hair unless that poo poo is free afterward

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Fishstick posted:

It's a one-off cost. If you change you can always change back to it for free later, assuming you didnt delete your character or anything. This is the case for gun cosmetics and such too.

Fantastic, thanks. The other hairstyles don't work that way, but they don't cost gold.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

fuf posted:

Just started a new Online character and the opening missions are in a totally different part of the map. Pretty cool.

Can I change my player name (not character name)? Is it linked to my rockstar profile? Whenever I created my profile (for gta5 I guess) I used my real name for some reason. Dunno what I was thinking.

Unless they've changed it recently, R* lets you change your social club name once per year. I don't know if it can be done through the new launcher, but log in to the social club site, go to profile settings and edit the nickname.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Hakarne posted:

Honestly I wouldn't worry about ending up dishonorable - it seems like you have to actually try to not be max honorable. Just feeding, brushing, and petting your horse is enough keep it positive. When I'm doing collecting I usually play a bandit and kill/rob every NPC I meet on the trail and murder every witness that comes along. Even doing that, like 3/4 positive honor is the lowest I ever got.

Yeah you can more or less go on a mass murder spree and then pet your horse or save one stranger to be back at max honor

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I punch my horse in the face when it does something stupid

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

HORMELCHILI posted:

buying maps spawns collectors items in places they might not be for you before using the map i think like eggs and flowers are the only things in fixed spots

nope

They are all where that interactive map shows them, always. Except for the ones the map shows as random- those will respawn 24 hours after you collect them, not on the "cycle" schedule of the rest of the collectibles. I've notices some buggy spawns, though, particularly with eggs and flowers, but that's not the map's fault.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Are there any horses that don't get scared when a snake is within a quarter mile of them? Because the Breton, that is not

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

lack of wildlife is definitely a console-only bug because RDO on PC is full of animals to kill or be killed by

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I wish I could just disable deadeye in online, I keep accidentally clicking a stick in combat and activating it and the last thing I want when a wolf is attacking me is for the world to turn piss yellow and slow only me down

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Cage posted:

the err gfx state error.

I had that a lot until I switched it from Vulkan to DX12

DX12 also conveniently runs faster and smoother than Vulkan

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I want them to add a car.

But make it true to 1899. Make it break down every 10 minutes or when driven off road, and require gas that only the pharmacists sell. And slower than a horse.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Wolfsheim posted:

I don't think RDO will ever get to the heights of rocket bike jumping out of your air fortress but if you see the progression of GTAO over six years there is no way they don't add vehicles at some point that will cost 300 gold bars each

They've already made the armored wagon with a machine gun turret. Only a matter of time it's for sale.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Dongattack posted:

HOW MUCH CAN A HORSE poo poo BEFORE YOU START TO WORRY
HELP

if anything they don't poo poo enough

they only poo poo when standing still in the game

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Most gang hideouts have a Maxim gun, but getting to it and using it before all the gang members are dead isn't easy.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Realistically the rank to unlock the fishing pole isn't hard to reach. Consumable baits are annoying to use compared to the spinner, but they work.

Some of the hardest level-gating for me were the best stirrups and camp tent, since buying less than the best in those cases is a waste of money (stirrups are like the engine upgrade on cars in GTA).

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

they really ought to add the trapper to online

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I've probably used my semi-auto shotgun more than every other weapon combined. You have to get close, but wolves and ambushes come to you so that's rarely a problem in PvE. And the bolt-action is a great medium-long range gun. I'm terrible at using sniper scopes, though.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Orv posted:

If you sell one of every set, which you can do daily - a not insignificant process that will take you several hours - you make around $3,500, give or take a bit. You can make a solid $800 and change with a much faster route of just coins and heirlooms.

Also get 1500 XP per collection, which really adds up.

Be careful not to sell the weekly collections, as they pay less and selling one of them may take items that would go in one of the main collections, costing you even more money. And they're listed first so they're easy to sell if you're not paying attention.

E: and no one roleplays in online aside from the occasional yahoo with a fake cowboy accent

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Transmogrifier posted:

Take note that PC players don't have the animal spawn problems nearly as often as console players do. I am rarely in a session that doesn't have animals and a long list of players in it.

I've never noticed a shortage of animals on PC except when a daily objective requires me to hunt a specific one.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Between GTA V and RDR 2 I am convinced that someone high up at Rockstar has a major human cannibalism fetish

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I'd buy a little derringer that goes in the melee weapon slot

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

And dual Cattlemans is not bad at all.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Anime Store Adventure posted:

Also be a little careful with reports: Iíve had hackers that blew everyone up in the server - using my name, somehow. I donít know rightly how you find the right guy, but some absolutely try to get other people hit for their crap.

Framing other players is probably the worst and most-used feature of the mod menus. They can probably also intercept/block the reports.

Professorjuggalo posted:

I played RDO for one day and was constantly trolled in the story missions and free roam till I gave up after a few hours

I’ll join the goon discord for the next time I try it out but I felt it being way worse than GTAO

Playing with friends is definitely the way to go, but yeah, without private sessions or even passive mode to retreat to, I don't think this will be tenable on PC for long.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

My experience with an Arabian, Ardennes, Breton, Criollo, and a couple others is that there are only two horse personalities/temperaments: Very Panicky and Not As Panicky. I think there's faaaaaar less variation than people attribute to them but there's some RNG involved in the horse's response to danger which gets weighted towards panic the more stressors you add. But I don't think anyone has datamined out of the game exactly how horse AI works.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Ygolonac posted:

New to customisable anything in vidyagames, are you?

I'm certain that people are using every trick and glitch to make anime waifus, I've just managed to avoid encountering any imagery...

and here I just made Meg

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

zooted heh posted:

seriously. why do they have free roaming horses in rdo and they serve no purpose? Waiting on the horse tamer role.

The guy in the stable in the tutorial even tells you to bring him any good horses you find. I think they're going to make a horse import/export someday.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Ygolonac posted:

OK, hosed up trader deliveries twice last night. (Gotta pay more attention to the road and not the gunfight, and the train tracks are not the best option for wagons.) First one, the wreck was right down by the fishing shack where you start the Legendary Fish questline in SP, and the goods?

Valentine. Behind the bank. And apparently underground, according to the marker.

Are you on PC? My friend got accosted by a modder who teleported to him, blew up his wagon, and then teleported the bags of product to that basement in Valentine. Unless it's an incredibly coincidental bug that your bags also ended up there.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Ygolonac posted:

There's a basement there? Might have to poke around, I've never found one in Valentine.

A locked room under a building, you enter it to do something in single player but it's inaccessible online. So modders apparently like to trap people or hide their stuff in there.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

some of the hats for female characters are way too big

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

SplitSoul posted:

Don't know if it helps, but if you're using a controller, change the setting to hold X to reel in instead of moving the stick in circles, and pull back the left stick when you reel it in.

^ this is a reel good tip

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I tried playing with keyboard + mouse and eventually gave up and switched to a controller. I still use the keyboard to navigate through menus and the catalog and the mouse to aim sniper rifles since there's no auto-aim with a scope, but movement is 10000% easier with a pad.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Since it can't allow trains to collide, it won't spawn new trains if a player can see a train (note that there are two track loops independent of each other in the two halves of the map). So if you commandeer a train, no one else in your half of the map gets a train!

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

If you get dailies to do things like lasso enemies, shoot off hats, etc and want a quick cheesy way to do them without starting some mission, go to Thieves' Landing. All the Del Lobos standing around are enemies instead of strangers.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

And this is a cold-weather outfit:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I, too, tried to pet a cat and was disappointed

We need a camp cat that brings Cripps one small animal every hour.