Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GrumpyGoesWest
Apr 9, 2015

Who else is excited for horseshoes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrumpyGoesWest
Apr 9, 2015

Dapper_Swindler posted:

dude i am just gonna dress as the Man in black and try to be a weird monster.

The gunslingers will follow.

GrumpyGoesWest
Apr 9, 2015

I haven't had many issues on og PS4 besides getting kicked sometimes. I made a posse for me and a buddy last night and I've had to reinvite a couple of times. Today he's not on my roster either. But that's about it. I'm playing solo mostly for now and spamming stranger missions and story missions and just saving my money. Not buying cosmetics. Killing for food. Using money just for gun oil to keep the starter weapons in good condition and getting headshots in missions to save ammo. Soloing gang hideouts when I need something new to do. As a player I just like seeing my rank go up and roaming.

GrumpyGoesWest
Apr 9, 2015

Sometimes after doing a mission I get loaded into a lobby with no one else on the map. Players I mean.

GrumpyGoesWest
Apr 9, 2015

MeatwadIsGod posted:

I'm on the last exotic collection quest and will be so glad when it's over. I'm up in the west Grizzlies as part of the orchid search and am trying to hunt for moose while I'm in the area. I'd say they're the most elusive animal in the game by far. I only ever see them by Lake Owanjila or Lake Isabella once in a blue moon, and even as rare as they are they're not always pristine. I need like three perfect moose pelts to complete all the trapper outfits so it's gonna take forever.

Finished the exotics today. The hat is dandy.

GrumpyGoesWest
Apr 9, 2015

shut up blegum posted:

Hamish Sinclair question because my game bugged out: as Hamish was dying, he told me I should take care of his horse. Then the giant boar stormed me and I killed it. The game gave me an option to take a trophy, but when I pressed that, I fell trough the map screaming. I respawned some distance away, but Hamish, the horse and the boar are gone. Did I miss some cool rewards due to that bug?
you can keep his horse

GrumpyGoesWest
Apr 9, 2015

AndyElusive posted:

Oh don't get me wrong, I posted that because I actually really loving love that song and the sequence that went with it during the Epilogue.

That was a really good sequence. Plus it was somewhat interactive with the button presses. I got a kick out of it.

GrumpyGoesWest
Apr 9, 2015

Let me get this straight. In online mode, I've completed 75% of the story. High honor, bar almost filled up. To complete the remaining 25% I now need to get low honor. Correct?

GrumpyGoesWest
Apr 9, 2015

titties posted:

You're right that they're honor gated for you to be able to start them yourself, but you can have a friend host them or get into them at random by quickjoining.

Cool thanks!

GrumpyGoesWest
Apr 9, 2015

Got on yesterday to farm missions and buy the jawbone knife. Missions seemed to actually trigger almost immediately except for one. I believe I did 8-10. The timer froze at the end on a couple of missions but eventually rewarded me after a few seconds. The roads seem more populated with npcs but that could just be me. The dailies are a nice touch and can net some quick xp depending on which ones you get.

GrumpyGoesWest
Apr 9, 2015

All the mini games this go around really. I enjoy them but they won't pay the bills. I'm glad horseshoes isn't in this one though. I could never figure out how to be consistently good.

GrumpyGoesWest
Apr 9, 2015

I haven't been on in a few months but checked my character online and I have 48 gold bars. I linked my twitch account a while ago and I'm on PS4. So if I read it correctly, I can get the bounty hunter role and the trader role for free and purchase the outlaw pass from the catalogue with 13 gold bars left. Is that correct?

GrumpyGoesWest
Apr 9, 2015

I sent a ticket regarding the challenges last night. They responded saying they know of the problem and are working on it but they couldn't give a date as to when the fix will go live.

GrumpyGoesWest
Apr 9, 2015

Yeah. The medium and large wagon hold more goods therefore you make more money. Although it takes longer for ol' Cripps to fill up the upgraded wagons.

GrumpyGoesWest
Apr 9, 2015

Yeah unskinned carcasses trade in better than anything. Especially bucks, cougars, and the like. So what I do with just my horse is kill a medium animal, store on my horse, kill small animals and store two of those on the sides of my horse and then skin the rest prioritizing higher star versions over lower star versions. Cripps also takes antlers. But not fish or hearts or fat. Makes sense. After a good hunting run I find the bar at least halfway filled. Sometimes you can do supply missions and that will also fill the bar some.

GrumpyGoesWest
Apr 9, 2015

I spent a whole Saturday getting every item on that map. I'm never going to do it again but it did net me a ton of cash and xp. Now I'm just working on leveling ability cards and getting all the pamphlets.

GrumpyGoesWest
Apr 9, 2015

Go to where you can select your camp location. It's under a new menu called properties. Select a location from there.

GrumpyGoesWest
Apr 9, 2015

This game did such a great job at being played at a leisurely pace. I don't mean by hours played in a row but the character you are playing as and the world itself being leisurely. All the animations, the slower movement, the actual pace of play. It fits the western narrative and forces your brain to slow the gently caress down. The game demands you take everything in. It has weight. You can 'feel' your character doing the actions he is doing. Call it clunky or call it realism but the developers really did something amazing.

I bought the game two hours before it released on PS4 and I've been playing this poo poo since. The bugs will be annoying, you will question design decisions, poo poo will be frustrating, but after the story is over you will probably want more.

GrumpyGoesWest
Apr 9, 2015

If they tell you to keep moving it's probably due to the skill learned you leveling up your moonshiner role. Revenuers don't chase you if you're waved through.

GrumpyGoesWest
Apr 9, 2015

Sometimes clearing your cache helps with animals but you have to redo whatever changes you made in your settings. I miss the good ol days of finding animal trails in eagle eye and then tracking them down. That was so much easier than riding around in eagle eye, seeing flashing only to find out it's horses.

GrumpyGoesWest
Apr 9, 2015

After the trader role came out finding animals wasn't that difficult. I leveled it up quick and maxed out the trader belt buckle award to level 10 quick. Now I'm just a bird killer if I do the trader role at all these days.

GrumpyGoesWest
Apr 9, 2015

Is the animal spawn situation fixed for PS4? I haven't played in a few months and I'm getting the itch to log back in even though there hasn't been any updates.

GrumpyGoesWest
Apr 9, 2015

After grinding out all the roles and slaving the dailies for months I got pretty burnt, stopped for a few months and now I want to get back in. I enjoyed just riding around picking up collectables, doing bounties every so often and leveling up my cards. Hunting was enjoyable until the spawn rate became abysmal making a single trade run impossible to achieve in a single playthrough. But alas I miss playing cowboy after playing borderlands 3 and mlb the show for a while.

GrumpyGoesWest
Apr 9, 2015

I just try to stay in cover 100% of the time. I play with a controller on PS4 (couldn't wait for PC release) and I just aim and flick up on the right stick and fire. Practicing that a billion times will land you headshots almost every time. If the timer on missions make you feel rushed ignore it. They give you more than enough time to complete a mission. Also drink tonics to give yourself a buffer from getting any damage.

GrumpyGoesWest
Apr 9, 2015

How'd you get the floral pin?

GrumpyGoesWest
Apr 9, 2015

Capn Beeb posted:

Go to a barber, they sell hair accessories now

Thanks! Makes total sense.

GrumpyGoesWest
Apr 9, 2015

Zesty posted:

This is me, five months ago replying to someone trying to figure out what the rumored "Naturalist" role could be:

Not too shabby.

You pretty much nailed it. I'm liking the naturalist role. Took a break while there were no updates now I'm back at it. I just wish the game would tell you your progress when selecting info on an animal. Also pumping an animal full of tranqs a billion times seems weird but oh well.

GrumpyGoesWest
Apr 9, 2015

I'm glad I'm not the only one who had trouble with that drat fox. After I failed that mission the wife said you know people generally hunt foxes on horses. I needed to take a walk after that.

GrumpyGoesWest
Apr 9, 2015

Ygolonac posted:

They also use hounds, so maybe I should just let the dogs corner it somewhere?

How hard is it to lasso a fox?

That was the first legendary mission I failed in the new role. That fox had me fuming.

GrumpyGoesWest
Apr 9, 2015

Zesty posted:

The Cross Fox was my first legendary hunt in online as well! I was expecting legendaries to be like Single Player so I left my horse behind and snuck around for loving MILES as it brought me all around Lemoyne. Eventually when I realized I could have used my horse, it was SO far out of despawn range... not despawning... and not coming when called.

I did manage to finish chasing the Fox on foot, but that thing was FAST. I started in the NW corner of Lemoyne and it finally got knocked out at the northern entrance of Saint Denis.

I haven't tried doing it again yet. I might use some tonics to cover my scent. How many shots did it take to get him down?

GrumpyGoesWest
Apr 9, 2015

Zesty posted:

A trillion? Maybe only needs 4? I just kept shooting until he dropped. Catching up was the annoying part.

I don't bother with any of the tonics or pheromones or whatever. I think those would be more useful in free roam. I think you'll do just fine by introducing your horse to that particular situation. Though Legendary Animal missions do get randomized a bit and the same Legendary doesn't always have the same scenario.

Maybe the randomness will work in my favor the next time. Thanks for the heads up.

GrumpyGoesWest
Apr 9, 2015

Yeah as much as I like playing on PC I will always play a rockstar game on console. GTA online on PC is a nightmare. I just hope when the ps5 comes out that they'll continue to support rdo on PS4. I don't want to buy a first generation ps5.

GrumpyGoesWest
Apr 9, 2015

I've noticed that if your character is on alert (in a half crouching position) you can't activate any of your items on the right side of the wheel. Like metal detector or camera. Happened to me while I was trying to take a photo of a snake while it knew I was there.

GrumpyGoesWest
Apr 9, 2015

Wonder if that's supposed to happen or if it's a bug. Either way it's super annoying.

GrumpyGoesWest
Apr 9, 2015

I like westerns so red dead is one of my favorite games. The controls are wonky at first but I play on PS4 and got used to it. By wonky I mean hold button for almost everything you want to do. Step forward to a chest whoops that was too far gotta circle my guy around so the open chest prompt comes back. poo poo like that. Animations for everything. But you do get used to it. It's a slower game. Literally. And just like any rockstar game you're along for the ride not the other way around. But in gunfights things can happen fast. They were going for realism and I think they nailed it. Eat drink. Fish and hunt. Leave animal carcasses on your horse for too long they spoil. Get skinny get fat. Grow huge beards. Clean guns. Make fun of people. Pet dogs. Cheat at poker. The map and the world is the best I've played in. Storms are insane especially with headphones. I've 100% completed it. Mainly because I didn't mind wandering around. Not to mention the characters are great. The story is predictable but what western isn't? In online play if you like grinding or just screwing around it's fine. I'm too the point where I'm waiting for new stuff to come out again. Basically doing moonshine runs and trader deliveries and spending money on outfits and emotes at this point. I don't think you can compare the Witcher and red dead. Apples and oranges. I love both games. Hundreds of hours in both. But if you're coming off the Witcher 3 and blast right into red dead you might be thrown off a bit.

GrumpyGoesWest
Apr 9, 2015

Yeah in story mode you get options to cheat.

GrumpyGoesWest
Apr 9, 2015

fennesz posted:

The only thing I'd add is in regards to the story being predictable. The ending is somewhat predictable but something I didn't expect is how I felt when I was approaching the end. Arthur just kept getting sicker and sicker, and the gang was rapidly becoming much less cohesive. John was clearly on his way out and toward the end of the game I just had this terrible drive to get to the conclusion so it could be over. Not out of any sense of that I wasn't engaged, but that I absolutely was and I just wanted to do what I could to help Charles, Sadie, John and Abigail. That and so I could put a bullet in that rat bastard.

Apart from the story I genuinely really enjoy that everything is slow. Everything has an animation. I feel like most people just want everything faster and louder, but RDR2 intentionally makes you slow down. I can understand why some people resist it, but I found it just perfect.

Have to admit the tuberculosis surprised the hell outta me.

GrumpyGoesWest
Apr 9, 2015

I need some bank and train robberies. No doubt in my mind they'll be in eventually but drat. Also more stable slots.

GrumpyGoesWest
Apr 9, 2015

I would just grind challenges and stranger missions until you get the bounty hunter role. Also don't forget every five levels you get a treasure map. I think that's the only way to earn gold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrumpyGoesWest
Apr 9, 2015

Having more random poo poo happen is nice. I'm convinced rockstar is in the process of setting a sweet spot for number of players per lobby to random encounters/spawn rates.