Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

I did the Lemmy for a while but went full mountain man and never looked back

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Solice Kirsk posted:

Beginning of the game: See a guy talking poo poo decked out in furs and wearing a raccoon hat. Think to myself, "Christ what an rear end in a top hat"
100 hours later: Walk into a St. Denis saloon wearing a bear head and a panther cloak and get piss drunk and start arguing with the cocaine lady. Think to myself, "That dude knew what was up"

This post is accurate for my experience too

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

The pirate and Viking hats have a permanent home on my horse, and goddamn I love using the Viking hatchet and pirate cutlass to maul people with.

Also ask me about running down from the mountain with the legendary salmon in my hands because I had just skinned the legendary bison.

gently caress me my hand was killing me after fighting that loving fish. Don't wait and try reeling them in without the pole yank trick, you'll be there for fifteen minutes and all you'll get is pain.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Donovan Trip posted:

Running up on someone shooting at you, weaving thru the trees with the hatchet clenched in your fist, and burying it in their stomach is the most satisfying animation ever

Relatedly, oh man driving it into the small of someone's back looks savage. I love it.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

clockworx posted:

Don't recall if someone's mentioned this random event yet, but it was pretty funny and caught me by surprise.

I was heading into a gun store, and outside were two men. One was saying along the lines of "I just got it, it's the latest model", followed by it accidentally going off and killing his friend. Everyone in the town goes running.

I've seen that one and a similar dumbass shooting himself in the foot and limping off.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

CJacobs posted:

Mountain Man Morgan is the best Morgan, change my mind

Can confirm.

(it took a lot to get me to replace the viking helmet, tricorn, civil war and nevada hats but this crafted flat cap is boss as gently caress)

This outfit's one of my attempts to deviate from leather, blacks and reds, aiming for an eccentric English peer out for a stroll

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

hup posted:

Oh, nice. I’m gonna try that tonight.

Edit: so I can use whatever gun on whatever animal as long as it’s small, right?

Varmint rifle on anything bigger than a raccoon is going to just ruin the pelt and make it run. Use repeaters or normal arrows on everything up to the size of deer, rifles on bigger stuff than that, and the max power scoped rifles (the ones you can't unscope from) on poo poo like bison.

Here's a handy reference
https://www.gosunoob.com/red-dead-redemption-2/rdr2-perfect-pelts-hunting-guide-weapons/

or
Small = Bat, Bullfrog, Chipmunk, Snake, Squirrel, Rat and Toad - Bow with small game arrows

Moderate = Armadillo, Badger, Gila Monster, Iguana, Muskrat, Possum, Rabbit, Raccoon, Skunk - Varmint Rifle

Medium = Beaver, Coyote, Fox, Pig - Repeater, Bow with normal arrow

Large = Alligator (Small), Big Horn Ram, Boar, Buck, Cougar, Deer, Goat, Panther, Peccary, Pronghorn, Sheep, Wolf, Turtle - Rifle, Bow with poison arrow

Massive = Alligator, Bear, Bison, Bull, Cow, Elk, Moose, Ox - Scoped Rifle (sniper), Bow with improved arrow

Hexenritter fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Feb 3, 2019

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

I absolutely hate the fact I can only have a small number of outfits (two saved, one non-saveable you're wearing) and hats. I'll sure ten minutes plus concocting a sweet look only for the lovely outfit system to overwrite it when I go to deselect another to put the new one on my horse. :argh:

So many hats, vests, chaps, boots and jackets, so few slots.

Also dammit now I know what happens I don't want to finish the game. He's such a loveable rascal and I don't want him to become a lunger then die :(

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

I could have sworn I bought the bigger ones. Weird. Maybe I failed to equip them?

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

The incredibly elusive lifestyle cowboy crowd.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Inspector Hound posted:

The snake bulldog hat is a must-have for any bad cowboy

as is the squirrel fur flat cap for rowdy bois.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Mantis42 posted:

They should have just copied the RDO formula wholesale and added GTA:O heists.

this way they could have an annoying fat cowboy ride up to you every ten minutes reminding you that you have a heist available at your high priced camp

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

I hope that EGS thing was a joke, ugh.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

NiceGuy posted:

Today my dad sent me a picture text of his virtual cowboy from the copy of RDR2 I bought him and it's making me unreasonably happy :)

:unsmith:

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Buy some fancy duds, filigree your varmint rifle, bowhunt for fun and profit, and definitely, definitely get the legendary buck trinket.

Then you can get into the meat of the real game, trapper barbie dressup.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Chuds McGreedy posted:

Oh yeah, and you can roll up/roll down shirt sleeves and tuck in/untuck pant legs from your boots.

This is done in the outfit menu at camp.

:aaaaa:

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Toaster Beef posted:

I'm on a 970 and it handles things pretty drat well. Make sure you're using those optimized settings that've been floating around.

Cannot reiterate this strongly enough. I'm on an i5 4670k and 970GTX and using those settings it runs great for me. 44fps average.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Cage posted:

Im guessing.

Yep, that'd be the ones I meant.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Does anyone have a link to that quick high value collector item loot jpg?

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Feindfeuer posted:

It's actually linked in my last post, right where it says RDR2 Collectors Map. But I guess that's easy to miss, so here is the link in plain text: https://jeanropke.github.io/RDR2CollectorsMap/

Oh yeah I've been using that to check stuff off while playing, it's super handy though I'm still unclear on the cycles thing because I was picking up collectibles last night from what the map was saying were multiple different cycles (mostly from cycle 4 and cycle 1).

with regards to the actual map I was on about, I was referring to the one that someone had worked out for the higher profit items only. It was a map snapshot with a zig-zagging route from the north-east corner of the map downward and westward. I just didn't want to go through x number of pages of backposts scrolling like crazy for it if someone had it handy. The patch probably invalidated it anyway so it's not a big deal. The map you linked is exhaustive and interactive so it's clearly superior.

I may try to hop on later to actually posse up with some folks because for the most part I've just been selling dead animal parts, collectibles and fenceables and occasionally dipping into the various PVP series. I don't have Trader or Moonshiner unlocked yet but at least I can earn gold doing dailies and quests.

Feindfeuer posted:

The maps you can buy or get as rewards will give you quest-style map markers where to look for certain collectables. But they are not needed to actually find them.

This is also really good to know, the collectible maps in game are a money trap and that linked map is far more accurate about the placements anyway.

Hexenritter fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Dec 25, 2019

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Feindfeuer posted:

That is the very same map, click the arrow in the top left corner -> scroll down -> select the type of collectible to gather (or even search for specific items in that type if you're missing specific) -> scroll down -> enable custom route : yes -> click those markers to get the very same red lines between them. Someone posted a route earlier in this thread, yes, but that should be invalid by now and even if it would be valid, it only be on one cycle (lasting a day) of the multiple ones there are, so you're better off filtering for high profit collectables like Jewelry and create a new route yourself. You can export them so you'd only need to go through that hassle once every day until you had all the cycles covered.

Well colour me educated! Thank you for introducing me to the fact that I completely overlooked that functionality because I was so eager to get to rootin tootin and lootin. I appreciate you taking the time to point that out.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Zesty posted:

So I cleaned that up a bit and put it on the Red Dead Wiki and the administrator deleted it, calling it "irrelevant" and "nonsense." :downs:

What a fuckwit. That is legitimately a very, very good guide clarifying an obtuse in-game system which doesn't explain any of that outside of "hurr some clothing is warmer than others."

Freudian slippers posted:

This should go in the OP. Thanks for the effort!

^^^ this.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Ygolonac posted:

Welpo, back in after a week in the hospital, and cheaters! One turned me into a log :catstare:, teleported me a few times, dropped about 25-30 dead panthers on me, and then set me and (some of) the kittehs on fire.but then he either got bored with my lack of response, got kicked or his server disconnected. Logginess ended after a fast travel, and I got 1 perfect carcass and 22 or so perfect pelts, so Cripps was happy.

Other cheater dropped a chest in the middle of the road in Strawberry, chock full of rewards; all told, I got about $5k, $60+ gold, and a bunch of ammo/potions. We'll see if Rockstar fucks me about either of these things, but now I have a bunch of pamphlets.

Waiting on a callback from the doc so I can't play yet, but I'm off work for a while longer so I can maybe try story missions or getting my Bounty Hunter level up.

The one thing R* tends to gently caress you on is anomalously high money earning, because that's where their money comes from. Griefers tend to get away with it.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Sleekly posted:

It's fun. That's what's gained. Human players are usually so much deadlier, or at least more unpredictable than NPCs that killing them and wrecking their poo poo is it's own reward.
Stick to story if you don't want this, it's the reason online exists. To interact with others.

I thought it was to get blown up endlessly and called racial epithets by invincible players in KKK robes

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

I've seen Grab The Posse in the wild.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

FuturePastNow posted:

rockstar doesn't give a poo poo about anything that isn't a money exploit

It's this. I got routinely trapped under insta-spawning objects and blown up no matter where I was on the map in GTAO, set on fire, teleported around, but the only time anything was ever done was when someone with a mod menu was dropping moneybags on everyone in the server. That "anything" was me getting a thirty day ban.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

I haven't really run into many bugs other than bird eggs occasionally being unattainable because the nest doesn't spawn leaving the egg hovering in midair, invincible. Also Cripps packing up my goddamn camp every time I turn around.

I've run into a lot less griefing in RDO than in GTAO. Generally that one little town in New Austin is a constant free for all with at least four people skirmishing endlessly, but other than that I've had I think two or three people in total try loving with me.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Do bolas replace the lasso and reinforced lasso in the weapon wheel when you get off your horse? I have 3 bolas in my inventory and now any time I get off my horse I don't have the lasso available.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Dick Jones posted:

Bolas are just for immobilizing your target so you can catch up to them and tie them up with a lasso, ideally a reinforced one. Your lasso should be selectable in the same slot as other throwables like the fire bottle, dynamite, throwing knife, etc. As far as I know you always have both lassos on your person even though a bazillion players have requested the option to stow the regular lasso in a weapon locker.

Yeah, I'm aware the lasso is meant to be part of your permanent kit and goes in the lower left radial segment with molotovs, throwing knives, etc, but earlier when I was playing I noticed the lasso and reinforced lasso were only showing up when I was on my horse. When I dismounted they disappeared, leaving me with everything but the two lassos. I even tried dismounting with the reinforced lasso selected and drawn. I'll fire it up again now to see if it's still doing it.

Having the standard lasso remain in your radial menu when you've bought the reinforced one is a bit silly. It's a flat upgrade and should replace the stock one because you're never going to use the stock one again once you get the reinforced one.

edit: Weird, it's working now. Must've been a glitch.

Hexenritter fucked around with this message at 14:11 on May 17, 2020

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Anyone got any suggestions for good ability card loadouts? I currently have Paint it Black I, Strange Medicine I, Live For The Fight I and Peak Condition selected. I'm looking for both PvE and PvP loadouts because while most of the time I'm either doing solo PvE missions or hunting/collecting/roaming, I do enjoy a little of the ol' rootin' tootin' player shootin'.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Oh nice, Zesty! That's exactly what I was looking for. Thank you. I'm definitely going to be keeping that info handy from now on.

I've been mostly using a controller because the PC control scheme is so awkward. I much prefer mouse aim in most games but I've got so used to using the controller's auto-aim when hunting for small critters and for landing ezpz headshots in this, whereas in GTAV I only used the controller for driving/flying.

edit: Thanks for that horse chart too. Trying to view horse stats in the stables takes forever because they just had to add those extra steps for checking out each horse rather than having the stats visible in the list. Same goes for saddles.

Hexenritter fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Jun 13, 2020

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Ainsley McTree posted:

It's also best not to "mash" the button as such, you get the most bang for your buck by tapping it to the rhythm of the hooves. You still have to press the button quite a bit but the pace is a bit more forgiving than just constantly hitting it as hard as you can, that would definitely ruin your hands.

See, that always made it sound like you need to hit the button with every beat of a clippity-clop, but I think you're supposed to hit it once per four hoof-falls. Who knows.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Au Revoir Shosanna posted:

"the reaper lords" lol did a 13 year old name this clan

:laffo: I know right? I just went with "Grab 'er By The Posse"

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Ygolonac posted:

How Is Posse Formed for me.

hahaha nice

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Au Revoir Shosanna posted:

their real crime is having a uniform in a game where playing dress up is like 90% of the fun

darn tootin'

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Dick Jones posted:

Is anyone else on PS4 running into a bug in the barbershop where you can't scroll up and down in the hairstyle menu? This is hindering my ability to take advantage of free haircuts.

It's not just the PS4, it's doing it to me on the PC too.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Gambrinus posted:

Go to settings and change the fishing controls to holding down square to reel in. Makes fishing fun instead of a right ballache.

:psyboom:

Thank you! Those five pounders I was fishing near Blackwater really were a pain in the rear end with regular stick reeling.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Ivan Dolvich posted:

Is RDR online worth getting into at this point? I've heard mixed things about it. I dabbled a bit with it but wasn't a fan of the forced matchmaking to do missions and generally don't like playing online games w/randos.

Honestly, I've had fun with it, both when I've wanted to just bugger off into the middle of nowhere and go fishing/hunting, and when I've wanted to put holes in people's faces in PVP or bounty hunting.

I've had very few problems with griefing, with only a couple of invincible assholes and guys hacking themselves into KKK robes and firebombing everyone in a match before and I've been playing since release on PS4 and PC.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

I should open Grab'r By The Posse and add some folks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Ainsley McTree posted:

I dunno if "range" is generally defined as "bad" and "good" but yeah alright you got me

I'll admit I didn't look up the names responsible for the two games before concluding they must have been written by different people, and it honestly kind of surprises me that there was key overlap but I guess life is just weird like that. There were some good ideas in GTA 5, at least revolving around the core relationship between the main characters, but on the whole that game was filled a lot of juvenile edgy bullshit that seemed to assume its audience hadn't aged since 2001 when GTA3 took the world by storm, while RDR2 mostly remembered that its players weren't teenagers anymore; they never really felt like they were written by the same team to me. I'll blame the creative director I guess (again, without looking it up, and if I'm wrong again then god help me)

I mean, look at it this way, one of the greatest composers of all time also wrote a song called "Lick me in the rear end" that was meant to be performed by a group of singers.