Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

I don't give a gently caress about eating or drinking.

Can I punch a horse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

muscles like this! posted:

While it is nice to have all these previews from the recent event it kind of sucks that apparently Rockstar didn't let anyone capture any footage of anything.

I think this is the only reason I'm not as hyped as I feel like I should be for this game. I love the first RDR, but found GTAV to be a letdown, and seriously despise the emphasis on Online over any single player content for that game. There's an air of "lol ur gonna buy it anyway, so whatever" with how information for RDR2 has been eked out, and it has kind of set a bad taste in my mouth. Just like, let me see how the game works, man. Let me build some faith in the product by getting eyes on it.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

LostRook posted:

A quick look at the Rockstar youtube channel shows that Max Payne 3, RDR1 and LA Noire all had around a dozen fairly in-depth trailers released prior to the launch trailer.

Yeah there was a period of time there where Rockstar actually had really cool informative marketing. Like they would break down the trailers into covering different aspects of the game, such as the physics engine or music. It was all very educational and helped build hype, but they just stopped doing it completely.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Zipperelli. posted:

... did... did you just totally miss the gameplay trailer they dropped? :ohdear:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dw_oH5oiUSE

They've already teased more trailers like this, going into detail about other aspects of the game as well. So this is 1/?

Oh, okay, somehow this had flown under my radar. Thanks for bringing it to my attention! It's pretty much exactly what I was talking about. I'm not going to look a gift horse in the mouth, but I kind of wish they had done stuff like this earlier, though.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

I feel like Lemmy from Motorhead should be a character in the game. It's just how I feel.

With dynamic testicles, of course.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Cultural Marxist posted:

They manipulated the horse balls for mo-cap.

pap pap pap

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

I hope damage is a little more lenient than it was in GTAV. How much you could dish out vs how much you could take was pretty much perfect in RDR, but gunfights in GTAV were largely anticlimactic because you were so brittle. In a game series built on running from the police, it was one of the least fun things to do in the game.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

I said come in! posted:

That game was a lot of fun and I loved the protag.

Mafia 3 also has one of the best narrative framing devices I’ve seen in a game in a long time. The actual game itself is janky in parts, but the story and characters more than make up for it.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

lmao they didn’t even have 4k in 1899.

loving ruin my immersion? No thank you.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Apparently getting a guy drunk and putting him on your horse’s back and riding around town is “unarmed assault” and not “horse uber.”

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

I know I should be a rooty tooty desparoody, but gently caress you, I'm gonna be the bow bandit of 1899.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Nolgthorn posted:

The game upgraded my deadeye so it no longer automatically targets enemies and I can't figure out how to use it for taking more than one shot anymore.

oh thank god, i was worried they'd removed that.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Hobo Clown posted:

Yeah I noticed that with Dead Eye too. Either I'm doing it wrong or there's no way to choose what you shoot, so one guy will get painted up with 6 red X's and then it runs out before I can aim at anybody else.

Another poster said you unlock that version of Dead Eye in the story, which I hope is true.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Aight, the Lenny drinking mission was as great as y'all said it would be.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Is there a way to effectively level up stamina? The bow is a lot of fun to use, but I can only use it for like five shots in combat before I have zero core.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

abigserve posted:

I still haven't worked out what, if anything, having a bounty locks you out of. I think the game expects you to have a bounty at all times.

A friend told me that you can't steal and sell stagecoaches while you have a bounty, but I'm almost certain that's only if you have a bounty in that specific area and I haven't validated it.

You definitely can't use the stagecoaches that are always near post offices. They get locked out. That's all I've seen, really.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

lol they sold RDR2 as an action/adventure game when in practice it's an existentialist simulator you default fail at by being a person playing a video game.

Also the balls change size in weather.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Wow, it feels like gunfights in first person are way easier for some reason.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Do stranger missions, uh... disappear after awhile? I had two gray question mark areas on my map and hosed around with some story missions and now they're gone. Are they like, gone gone?

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Something that I'm finding interesting is that I'm being like, way more of a dick in this game than I usually am in games that give you moral options. Like I'll help out people if they ask, but the second someone steps to me or puts the gang in jeopardy in some way, I ice them, no questions asked. And even when I do help, its usually with an asterisk. Like yeah, I'll save you from a wolf attack or something, but don't ask me to give you something for your wounds. poo poo's hard to come by out here, son.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Nodelphi posted:

I tried being good but the game hosed me too many times. Now I’m one of the psychopaths in Westworld. Somehow the game is more at peace with this choice and has let me get away with so much.

After playing for a bit, I honestly do believe this is how it’s meant to be played. Nearly every story mission ends with a new bounty around your neck. I’ve decided I’m not paying anything off anymore. I’m just gonna lean into being the bad guy.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

As my memory serves bounties in RDR1 were randomized and populated at a fairly quick pace. I’m well into chapter 3, and I’ve only seen three so far, and they were all pretty scripted. Anybody know if there are a finite amount this time around?

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Junkenstein posted:

Yeah, all scripted. The random events they put into GTA V and this are great, but you'll only see them once. The move away from repeatable randomised tasks like bounty hunting kinda sucks.

Maybe they'll be in Online (urgh).

Well that fuckin sucks.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

JBP posted:

It's not important unless you want to unlock some high honour clothes. Chapter six will give you a bunch of opportunities to go from full negative to max honour as far as I can tell, so if you feel like you just want to do it for unlocks you can do it then.

Oh word? I'm not at Chapter 6 yet, but I'd heard that you had to have high honor to get through it, and that's the only thing that's prevented me from going Maximum rear end in a top hat.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

This game gets way more enjoyable when you just lean into being a robbin’ rootin’ tootin’ scoundrel, and stop caring about bounties or honor.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

(Ride into town with mask on)

Cop: Take that mask off!

(I take mask off, try to defuse)

Cop: Okay, move along.

(Wanted definition changes to “move along.”

(I get on my horse)

(Cop walks up behind me)

Cop: I said move along!

(Accidentally press circle instead of triangle)

(Kick cop in face)

(Benny Hill music as a race out of town)

(Put mask back on)

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Aight so I get the bow now, and it is amazing.

And I'm decked out in all black, with a black bandana.

And I'm now the Black Bow Bandit.

And I'm coming for your fortune, but will settle for your daughters.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Have a weird question. I came across a small encampment of O’Driscolls near the Lemoyne border. When I approached, I got a notification telling me that “you have discovered a gang hideout. Gang hideouts are a good place to gain supplies.” I killed the four guys there, two more rode up, killed them. Looted the place. I was curious so I looked up gang hideout locations, and the one I found isn’t listed on any guides.

Are there like, small radial gang hideouts that appear as random events?

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Qubee posted:

yeah those ones aren't really official gang hideouts, they're just like small little gang camps. I stumble upon them all the time, they have small tents and a campfire. official gang hideouts have a poo poo tonne more gang members protecting it, and are usually sprawling bases consisting of buildings and stuff. it won't be defended by 6 guys, we're talking more 20-30.

that being said, i came across an o'driscoll camp hideout in the northwest part of the map and I killed everyone there but it didn't give me the gang hideout discovered completion thingy, so maybe that wasn't even an official gang hideout. but they had a gatling gun and so so so many men defending it so I was sure it had to be an official hideout

Oh nice. I was pretty bummed to hear that bounties weren’t random this time around, but that at least means there will be one substantive random activity to keep an eye open for. Thanks.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

ChocNitty posted:

I’m hunting for the legendary beaver.

(Clears throat)

Say hi to your mom for me

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

As long as I can set up an invite only session and do most of the stuff solo, I’ve got no issue with RDRO. Like I know there will be heists and whatever that wil need multiple players, but if I can just log in and gently caress around and get some randomly generated bounty missions, I’ll be happy.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Had Dutch and Abagail missions at camp. Decided to go out and cause mischief. Spotted a wagon just outside of camp, stopped. Turns out you can trigger Dutch's quests without talking to him. Plot moved forward, Two new missions on map. Abagail mission is completely gone.

Cool.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Hobo Clown posted:

Is this chapter 3? If so Abigail's "mission" is literally just her walking up and asking you to go help John & Josea with that wagon you saw.

Oh poo poo, really? If that's the case than thank god. The pacing of this game is kind of wiggidy-woo, and it feels like it's really easy to miss out on stuff. I was hoping missions wouldn't be missable, but it feels like the game's momentum can take control away from you at a snap.

AndyElusive posted:

Maybe I'll grow some cowboy balls in a few chapters and try something different.

What store sells this tonic

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

veni veni veni posted:

How do you turn yourself in to the cops when you have a bounty? I have been to the police station many times, tried and the cops don't give a flying gently caress that a wanted criminal came into the police station.

Walk into town and punch a cop, just like real life.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh my god, Arthur’s face when he makes the connection about the incest couple.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

I really want to reiterate how good the bow is. Hold left trigger to snap to an enemy, hold the right trigger until the reticule focuses, immediately release. It’s almost always a one hit kill, pinpoint accurate, and arrows can always be recovered. Making the bow my primary weapon has basically trivialized multiple gunfights. And the melee kill with it is brutal to boot.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Spikeguy posted:

By the end I was this giant beardy tired looking dude and it was great. Also, one thing I really appreciated was that unlike Rockstars earlier games this game wasn't gross in terms of raunchiness just for the sake of it. Big change in philosophy since 2001.

Really even RDR1 was different in that regard. Both entries have been more... mature in tone than anything in GTA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

My current theory about RDR3 is that it will take place before RDR2, maybe during the first years of Dutch's gang when Arthur and John were first roped in as kids. It really does feel like the meta-narrative is more about Dutch himself being a mirror for the loss of the frontier, and we've already seen its end and decline with RDR1 and RDR2, respectively. I'm thinking it only makes sense for the next game to truly take place during the full, untamed heydey of the west when the gang was really living in the full-on Jesse James Gang salad days.