Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

This game owns hard.

Has there been any news about a date for online coming out?

I want to form my stupid bandit gang with my friends in this game's insanely good open world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Is it possible to upgrade to the ultimate edition on digital, or do you have to buy that specific edition of the game new?

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

MeatwadIsGod posted:

The Grizzlies are majestic as hell. I wandered way up to the northernmost point of Spider Gorge, following the river. I was dressed in a panther cloak, sheepskin vest and chaps, and the legendary bear hat. Right at the edge of the map was a pack of wolves not 10 yards from me. Instead of attacking they just stared for a moment and went away.

I was also curious about returning to the Adler ranch and on my way there found two people frozen stiff who were huddled together for warmth and clutching a strange panoramic map.

Is hunting and trapping this atmospheric and fun? So far I have been robbing stage coaches and trains and getting into gun fights with O'Driscolls (while inexplicably maintaining high honor because I am nice to civilians :psyduck:).

I feel like I am missing a major part of the game from the way folks talk about it.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

So I took people's advice and actually started just hunting and exploring, and wow it actually is really fun and cozy to just wander out in the wilderness.

Is pelt quality affected by anything but luck? I am trying to get the wolf coat that requires a perfect wolf and ram pelt, and I think the more shots you put into something the more the pelt gets damaged, but I'm not sure.

Also, is there a reliable way to find and hunt wolves, other than just run into roaming packs in Ambarino?

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Over There posted:

You have to get a critical shot with a specific type of gun on a three star animal, which you see when you target it. Someone here should have an image of it.

e: here you go

Ah thanks!

Also, how do I make Arthur not underweight? I eat a lot of game meat but boy never gets any skin on his bones!

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

I got tired of looking at my hideous crack whore character (despite my best efforts in the creation screen) so I have already made a new male character. The good news is it looks like you get to keep your money.

Maybe for GTA 6 Rockstar will figure out how to make women.

The thing is Abigail and Sadie, and most of the other women characters look fine, so not sure why Rockstar still has issues with creating a woman in a character creator

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

The insane prospector outfit Arthur has on really makes it

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

A Sometimes Food posted:

Tooling around with chargen and ended up making... Sandra Oh I guess? After wrestling with it for ages trying to make anything I looked up and realised "Oh hey I accidentally made Sandra Oh kind of".

Well I doubt anyone else went with her for their cowboy so whatever 19th century Killing Eve let's go.

The only woman character I could make that was half decent was an Asian looking woman, so I just role play that she's an immigrant from China that understands English but can't speak it very well.

I want to make a native american who uses a bow and knives eventually, but I'm not sure you can do it right now.

I have been enjoying this so far, although like many have said this is clearly a beta. I actually don't really care if I'm shot by a player since I lose nothing, and if I am trading pelts I just go to a town in the northeast that won't bother me.

Crafting and trapper need to be in this; that is just stupid. And my wishlist is that they get enough complaints to fix the character editor and fix the grind of ranks, and reduce prices to less insane levels; having to be rank 10 to get a loving bow is beyond dumb

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Dec 1, 2018

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Republicans posted:

It really, really needs crafting.

So there actually is crafting. I found it by accident. You can build a bunch of the crazy stuff from pamphlets. You buy the pamphlets from fences. A lot of it is still there.

...but it is rank locked :negative:

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

ShootaBoy posted:

Borrowed this from a buddy while she's out of town for the weekend. It's ok, but honestly the simmy elements are dragged down by the typical R* gameplay and halfassed ideas. Speaking of one, can I really entirely miss weapons while going through the story? Like, 'one chance, oops now you can literally never get that gun' kinda miss?

You can replay missions and get them I think. Not sure

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

If people want money the treasure map rewards are pretty big pay outs. Like 80-120 plus provisions or tonics.

You can get them from leaders in gang hideouts

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

Why does hunting suddenly cause huge honor hits for me? I went from maximum honor to around 75% from shooting two ducks.

If you don't kill an animal clean and let it bleed out, instead of finishing it you can lose honor. I didn't make it to a buck in time to kill it once, and it bled out. I took an honor ding and felt bad :(

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Was clearing out a Lamoyne Raider hideout in the Bayou. Got bushwhacked when I wasn't looking and hogtied.

Broke out when he got cocky and was leaving me to the gators, and beat him to death with my revolver.

Game owns sometimes :allears:

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Arrgytehpirate posted:

I’m having trouble figuring out how to knife someone too. I tackle them then mash B until I’m out of stamina and then they knock me off then.

I finally spent some money today. I got a pump shotgun, bow, fishing pole and worms.

Next purchase will probably be the Lancaster since it was my main weapon in the story. I don’t want to invest too much more time into things though since who knows if it’ll be wiped or not.

E: what’s the fastest way to tank my honor? Just murdering dudes in Saint Denis?

Do evil stranger missions. They ding your honor pretty good.

Also, being able to interact with Flaco Hernandez in his little hide-away shack in the Grizzlies is great

What was your way of making money? I tried hunting, but I need a rifle for some bigger game and better pelts.

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Dec 2, 2018

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Did these idiots ever actually play GTA online? :psyduck:

I enjoyed the game for what it was, bit lol if you don't think the guy who spent 100 dollars to get millions of dollars and his big super gun semi truck didn't have an advantage.

From what I can see so far, gold seems to be for clothing mostly, which is eh to whatever for me. Prices are a bit stupid in-game cash, but the ranks locking you out is annoying to me (let me dual wield before 30 you fucks)

Edit: I'm worried about getting invested too soon as well, they wipe your beta character, it's easier to make money but all my cool stuff and the character I spent time making is gone :negative:

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Dec 2, 2018

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

HORMELCHILI posted:

essentially anyone complaining about not having access to "better guns" which is even objective, since the only straight up upgrade of any gun is the cattleman>schofield revolver, is wishing they had a big powerful crutch weapon to use against people that are headshotting them with the varmint rifle

I agree with this. Unlike GTA none of the guns are pure upgrades of each other and you get marginal to minimal better performance with any gun in its class.

Though a pump shotgun is legit useful. Although I'm partial to taking down stupid kids with a bow shot and hearing them scream about hacks myself :allears:

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

HatJudge posted:

I just want a bolt action and a warm coat so I can head up north and hunt bears

I think the leather fur coat on like the last page of the coats counts, you can get it at fairly low rank too. Get some gloves as well and you should be okay. I venture up there a lot and the freezing damage isn't too bad.

If not I think there are some heavy winter jackets, but not sure what rank they unlock at.

Has Rockstar mentioned at all if there will be a server wipe at the end or is this "beta" as in most online "betas" these days, where they add and adjust stuff as time goes on?

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Dec 2, 2018

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Should've followed Bill as the leader. His heists get done. :clint:

Seriously. For all the talk that Bill is an idiot all of his plans seem to work

I do blame a lot of Dutch's impulsiveness on a sociopath who just wants things to burn.

From what Arthur and Josiah say though, it seems like Dutch was always way too idealistic and pompous, but he was a more likable guy apparently when he was younger. The real brain of the outfit appears to be Josiah tbh.

I kinda want a prequel about Josiah in his younger days tbh. He is a very interesting and fun character

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Dec 3, 2018

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

UnknownMercenary posted:

You mean Hosea? Josiah is the trickster conman with the weird accent and top hat who constantly leaves the camp and only shows up a handful of times. But yeah.

Also someone earlier was asking about being able to kill domesticated livestock without the honour hit. You can get cows and bulls in the epilogue from Hanging Dog Ranch because it's now run by evil ranchers instead of the O'Driscolls but it seems for everything else you just gotta take the ding.

Hosea yeah. My bad

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

It's not even hard to make money though? Like you can hunt or fish while doing other stuff and easily make 50-60 per trip.

I took goons in the thread's advice and just hunted birds outside San Denis, and made like 300+ dollars in 2 hours.

Also this game is way fun with people to just run around and shoot up towns with. I also feel gunplay is actually more balanced than in gta online; nobody has armor and Dankbongweedlord69xxx doesn't have a car that can fly to save him. Everybody has relatively the same level of guns and power.

I have complaints like the buggy stranger missions, and how they should pay out more and open into more quests and ranking more than money is a bitch, but overall I have a fairly good impression.

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Dec 3, 2018

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

UnknownMercenary posted:

If you stick around for the camp conversations as the camp disintegrates they do a really good job of selling it with Bill and Javier. Right up to the end Javier still comes off pretty conflicted about it but ultimately sides with Dutch, but Bill is openly aggressive and hostile with Arthur, John and Charles.

I legit like Javier because the dude was a bro and his guitar serenades at camp at night. It makes what happens between John and him in RDR way more of a gut punch than the couple sentences it used to be.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

MMD3 posted:

Haha, I had this happen as well, so brilliant, great little piece of detail to add some delight

I was shooting a flock of birds around dusk in the Bayou. As one of the birds fell a coyote came running out of the brush and grabbed it, and ran away.

I was just left with :stare:

This game's AI is insane.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Hugh Malone posted:

hey y'all, my friend copper showed me that bait costs 5x more from the catalogues (in-store and portable) than it does off the shelf online

catalogue is charging us 50c per worm, off-the-shelf they cost 50c per can of 5 (ps4)

Trout fishing in America went to the butcher, and sold trout for $4.25 apiece.

I wonder if that's for all products now?

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

precision posted:

Pearson keeps telling me to go see a Canadian trapper but where the Sam hell is he??? Am I progressing the story too slow? Still in chapter 2, been doing the little side missions that pop up like robbing some inbreds with Javier.

Good lord this game just keeps getting better, if GTA6 is more like this where you actually interact more meaningfully with your crime family then hell yeah

Little northeast of Riggs Station is I believe the closest one

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Feenix posted:

Are these... GIVEN to me, somehow? (because I don't have them...) or am I just unlocking the honor and privilege of spending monies

Ahahahahaha!

I'm sorry, that gave me a good laugh.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Phil Moscowitz posted:

This was another classic early game moment for me, wandering up to that cabin and just walking out with that gun. I think it was my first found gun, before the double barrel even.

You can actually work for Mama Watson in online, provided the mission ever stops being a buggy piece of poo poo

Also, in story you can take the mule Mama Watson owns and ride it, I know because I did. Several times.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Feenix posted:

Am I missing some kind of mechanic or is it normal to have to pay a LOT (by game standards) money to fast travel only to log out (sometimes I have to be a dad!!) and then log back in and be REALLY loving FAR from where I fast travelled from and have to pay again, or ride forever.

Is there a way to determine where I start or lock in my location from when I log out?

Free roam to Ambarino and pitch your tent in the Grizzlies. No one will ever bother you, because they are too busy being idiots shooting each other in the dick in Lamoyne or New Austin.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Is there more to her? I kept expecting whomever I was supposed to be to show up and start some poo poo with me.

I honestly have no idea. I let her realize who I was, the conversation went badly, she told me she was gettin her boys to get me, and then she hopped on her mule and waddled off somewhere.

It was all very surreal and hilarious

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

turtlecrunch posted:

How am I actually supposed to heal my dead horse in online? Every time I go to the stable it spits out a new zombie of my horse, but after I do a mission it says "no available horses" and sends a scrawny nag. I've tried critically injuring and reviving the horse again, and also critically injuring the horse and letting it die again.
:tinfoil:

Go to the player menu, go to stables. Revive your horse from there. It is like 4 dollars.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

CharlestonJew posted:

there's a post office in Strawberry hth

There's a post office at like every train station in the game

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Buschmaki posted:

Don't instance the ranches and let me terrorize other player's homes to build my cattle ranching empire.

How the West(ern cowboy game) was truly won :clint:

It would own to be able to do cattle wars and own your own silly business tbh.

I really want trappers to be a thing in online; maybe even work for him in some way.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Vox Nihili posted:

https://www.rockstargames.com/newswire/article/60735/Red-Dead-Online-Beta-Week-1-Update

Today we are starting to implement the first set of adjustments to the game including changes specifically geared towards creating a more balanced, fun and rewarding overall experience, across all modes and missions. These include:

Increasing the cash and gold payments across a number of different activities including Free Roam Missions, Free Roam Events, replays of A Land of Opportunities Missions, Showdown Series modes and more.

Reducing the prices of most weapons in the Wheeler, Rawson & Co Catalogue and Gunsmiths. For players that have already purchased weapons at the previous prices, we will automatically deposit the difference to player balances starting today - please look for an alert message the next time you log in to the Red Dead Online Beta to notify you of this change, refunds may take up until December 10th to reach all players.

Balancing the values of select pelts, skins and fish as well as horse reviver and pamphlets.

Of course our efforts to improve and balance the Red Dead Online Beta will continue. We are conscious of and still evaluating an assortment of further adjustments based on feedback from the community. We are currently working on fixes for some persistent bugs that are causing some players to be kicked from sessions, and we aim to have fixes for these live next week. We will also continue to review all the feedback and suggestions so please keep them coming to reddeadonline.com/feedback. 

As an added thank you for playing and helping us through the beta period, we're also awarding everyone that joined in to play the Red Dead Online Beta at any point through midnight PST today with a gift of RDO$250 and 15 Gold Bars. Gifts should start arriving today and will hit all eligible players by Friday, December 14th.

Holy crap, I get payed back my difference for my bolt rifle and schofield, AND I get free stuff?!

...what did you do with R* :ohdear:

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Moridin920 posted:

I saw some dude peacefully fishing on the river and shot him in the head from a distance - sorry bro I couldn't resist

I have fun taking the occasional potshot but following someone around to repeatedly gently caress with them is lame as hell imo

I had an encounter where another dude and I were trying to raid a hideout at the same time, and I tried to show I was friendly by not shooting at them, but they kept trying to kill me. So I shot them with my schofield. A lot.

They kept coming after me, so I started being more ridiculous, like throwing dynamite at them, running up and stabbing them to death. I finally looted the place and just left, and they kept following me, unable to let it go.

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Dec 7, 2018

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

ZeusCannon posted:

I will say im glad to have it confirmed that Bill Williamson was always an idiot

Bill's bank plan worked :colbert:

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

KoRMaK posted:

Holy poo poo, I have 17.6 gold and $800 this morning. It was more like 1.5 and $202 last night.

What should I buy? Got my brush and varmint rifle. I like how fast it shoots so maybe I should get another weapon with a high fire rate? I also would like to be able to blow off people's heads with an arm cannon. One of the rifles maybe?

A bolt action is extremely reliable. Pump shotgun is a good choice.

Always a good and cheap upgrade to go from a cattleman to a Schofield as well.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

UnknownMercenary posted:

Anyone know a good place to find bats? None of the locations in the guide map have actually turned anything up.

I get a lot of bats always at night on the coast north of St. Denis. Try there

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Tumble posted:

The game can get kinda gnarly, this poor fellow survived a shotgun slug to the face.

:stonk:

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

piratepilates posted:

I liked it and thought it was really gorgeous, but its also such a weird little segment. You shipwreck on not-Cuba, get taken prisoner by a plantation owner, murder all the guards on the island, murder what must be at least a hundred spanish soldiers, destroy a navy destroyer, and then make your way back to america like it was nothing at all, and then everyone back home just talks about it like you went on vacation to cabo for a weekend. As soon as its over you're just back to the main story drive, and this huge event is just forgotten about.

Hercules and his gang of freedom fighting Haitian pirates own, and I was hoping to see way more of them

Maybe we will see more of Guarma in online?

Isn't Mexico's map already in the game and can be accessed by glitch or something?

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Dec 11, 2018

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

This new patch has really improved my experience so far. Able to actually do stranger missions, bandits and hideouts on a regular basis, robbing stage coaches etc.

The patch seemed to largely add in a bunch of assets that were previously missing, like more people, a lot more carriages and riders, and boats and trains just moving around. World feels much more alive and like story mode now, and stranger missions paying out 13.25 a pop ain't too shabby.

I think the stranger missions kept bugging out because a lot of them involve stage coaches/other assets that weren't in yet, and the game was trying to load assets that weren't there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

DrNutt posted:

Fun fact: the very first time I got a haircut in Blackwater in RDO, I walked out the door and was immediately headshot by a guy on the horse who had just been sitting there waiting for me. It is what it is and there aren't really any consequences for being killed by another player (except for horse cargo, I don't know if it's a bug or what but I lose all my pelts and carcasses when killed by another player in RDO, which I thought wasn't supposed to happen).

I've had some situations where my pelts seem to dissapear, but I still go to the butcher and they are in there, so idk