Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Hugh Malone posted:

Opinion: a lot will probably have to do with how well their currency sells, and interest in the game come in 2-3 years.

Because even though the story game is pretty tame as far as crazy stuff, I don't think they're afraid to jump the shark if Undead Nightmare and all of the updates to GTA mean anything

An undead nightmare event in online for Holloween or something would own

I want the crazyness to go towards a heists direction tbh, like robbing a Steamboat or pulling off a heist of the Lamoyne bank, or raiding Guarma or something, though I don't know how they can square that with the honor system.

I also want them to implement a system where honorable players bounty hunt dishonorable players, because that sounds neat.

I had a wierd random event happen a week ago where I became wanted by an enemy posse for 5 minutes and had to survive; it could be like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Ainsley McTree posted:

It’s super simple to never get shot, simply spend every moment in-game staring at the map and flee like a gazelle at the first scent of danger, I cannot believe anyone could possibly struggle with this

I liked it too, but i also like stardew valley

Or shoot them first :getin:

I always have my guns at the ready around other players, as this is the Old West and they are possibly bad cowboymens

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Buschmaki posted:

The first dlc will include a crossbow and be you hunting bayou vampires in st denis

Sounds amazing already

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Hedgehog Pie posted:

I've had a real hard time trying to find opposums today. I found foxes, badgers, deets, skunks, rabbits, alligators, spoonbills, muskrats, raccoons, snakes, boars, bears, even a random massive cougar. I did find one with a perfect carcass at some point but then it randomly disappeared from my horse. :downs:

Big Valley; they seem to hang out there for me

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

VoLaTiLe posted:

I had a bunch of dutch guys gank me then when I returned much to my amusement they were dragging my corpse along the floor.

I killed them and then they tried to reinact that fallout 76 homo video saying they were gay hunter s which further amused me.

What proceeded was me being chased by a bunch of respawning dutch blokes saying they were ridding the west of homos whilst I rode away in a carriage headshotting them saying "chase me chase me" .

I hope they don't add a passive mode coming across murderous people and going on rampages are too fun

The way the West was meant to be :clint:

My friend I were just running around loving around in New Austin, and this guy shot one of us, so we got in a protracted little battle with them. Then they ended up joining our posse, and we ended up riding into Tumbleweed shooting it up and taking it over for about an hour.

Game is fun, and joinable posses is a good feature

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

So I have no idea what is going on, but I have raided 2 hideouts and gotten 2 treasure maps from them. As I was riding to the next treasure, bandits spawned and I killed them, and I got ANOTHER treasure map.

I have gotten 3 maps in like 20 minutes, and 350+ dollars and 2.50 in gold.

...I think Rockstar may have broken something :staredog:

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Vox Nihili posted:

I think the idea is that items that improve your effectiveness (guns, horses, etc.) are always level-locked even if you have gold to avoid pay to win. Cosmetics are never level-locked because they don't make you any stronger. I could be wrong though, and the fishing lures technically make the game easier but aren't level-locked if you pay gold.

The only cosmetic item that gives advantage of some kind are the winter coats, for the Grizzlies

Anybody got the bison coat? Is that a cold weather jacket? Is there a way to tell what individual clothing items count as cold weather treated?

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Necrosaro posted:

I don't plan on playing online until they remove auto aim or put in some sort of anti-greifing system. Last few times I played I get one shot killed way too often and they often downed my horse forcing me to use horse revivers or nag it back to the stables. Half the time I picked up my horse they made me pay for the vet fees.

You can just leave and go to another server instantly though?

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Hobo Clown posted:

I forget what exactly Micah said but I got the impression that Dutch only recently showed up, not that they had been rolling together since the end of Chapter 6. The newspaper articles you read about Micah's gang terrorizing the countryside only ever mention Micah, and I think Dutch was well-known enough to have been included if anyone believed he was a part of it. He looked like hell so I figured he'd been hiding out on his own or with his Native American gang and only now came to get some of his Blackwater money. He might have even heard the same rumor Sadie did which is why the timing worked out.

I actually think Dutch is totally there to kill Micah and is conflicted about revenge, because he knows deep down Arthur was right, and he has been hiding out the last few years tormented by the fact he watched his best friend/son die and did nothing.

John and Sadie being there complicates things, because he deflects everything falling apart to John not being loyal enough. I feel like when Micah dismisses Arthur's death, and John asks Dutch to "say something," that is what makes Dutch get angry and pull the trigger.

He even tells John when he asks him what he is doing there "same as you I suppose." He knew exactly why John was there.

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Dec 17, 2018

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Hobo Clown posted:

I like your read of that final scene a lot better. Dutch would likely be allowed in and could walk past the rest of the gang, and probably assumed he was going to be killed as soon as he shot Micah. Dutch got his revenge but John & Sadie robbed him of his suicide.

I didn't think about the suicide angle myself but it makes sense to me with context about the first game. Dutch seems conflicted about Arthur giving up his life to save John's, who he now hates (or at the very least dislikes), but he is willing to let John go about his life because Arthur wanted that. When John tries to thank Dutch for saving him and Sadie, he just gives that dead, blank stare at him.

Dutch never goes after John directly, and even in Red Dead Redemption, never seems to want to actively kill him (until he goes after him directly) or hurt his family. Dutch not putting up a fight and committing suicide spares John from having to pull the trigger, and gives Dutch the peace of death he wanted from killing Micah and dying there, and dying on his own terms.

Dutch in RDR seems like a man lost without purpose, fighting back against a society he sees as destructive with no real plan and it makes now, because Dutch wanted to die on that mountain after killing Micah.

Dutch and Arthur are such well written characters; just amazing levels of detail and pathos.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Damnit Rockstar let me play as Sadie. She’s best girl.

I also liked Karen, Mary Beth, and Tilly tbh

Tilly was a suprise for me for how tough she was and how she gets kidnapped but still tells her captors to get hosed

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

AndyElusive posted:

Well let me have a ruler and a saw and a board and I'll cut it

I'll climb up the ladder with a hammer and nail and I'll nail it

That part was not that bad and honestly kinda charming

Reminded me of the girls singing going to Valentine with Uncle :3:

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

In online if you delete your character and start over do you keep all the clothes and weapons you bought? I have a friend asking me; I know you keep money and gold.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Solice Kirsk posted:

How are so many people not realizing they are two totally different hats? They're not at all similar besides being black. Jack wears his dad's hat in RDR1 though.

edit:
Also, double tapping L1 to spin your handgun into the holster is my new favorite thing.

:staredog:

I need to do this ALL the time now

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

KoRMaK posted:

Holy poo poo you can replay any story mission in online by going to the start menu -> progress

At rank 25 you unlock the offhand holster and I'm 500xp away from that.

You can buy the first one super cheap for gold way earlier

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

HatJudge posted:

You can't use gold in the catalogue. Go to a gunsmith and the option will pop up.

This

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

KoRMaK posted:

I just had an amazing encounter with a random in online. They were driving an open top buggy around and some law men were in pursuit so I helped, then climbed into his cart to just cruise around.

We get to the plains and he backs his wagon up really oddly and specifically to a large rock. Then he shoots a buffalo. Then, the real magic happens....

He drops the carcass and pelt from the top of the rock into the loving bed of the wagon!!!!!

Then he goes to valentine and just starts murdering sheep, but in a way I hadn't ever seen. If you rope a sheep, then walk up to it, it will prompt you to kill it. It's kind of brutal because I'm like wtf is he doing and just hugging sheep and then *grhhhglhfl* sounds happen. Then it clicks, oh we're here to poach!

There was a ramp in Valentine at the sheep pen that made loading super easy, and this dude found it. It's existing map geometry meant for this in spirit but probably not meant to be used this way. However, it works. it's next to the pen and right on the train tracks. So we load the wagon with as many sheep bodies and pelts as we can before the physics get too unstable and then head off to sell them.

One thing that helps getting in and out of stuff while carrying a body is going first person - your player auto climbs much more forgivingly and it's helpful when walking the gap between your ramp and the wagon bed.

You can do this?! :stare:

Actual rustling. Oh my god, this game owns :allears:

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

So I got sick of my free red Arabian in RDO throwing me off whenever a lizard walked near them, and figured I would buy a warhorse because I can't buy a multi at my rank yet.

...Holy poo poo, my Hungarian-half bred is a big boy! :stare:

He towers over other horses, and it's more like riding a bear than a horse.

I love it.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Jerusalem posted:

I went back to the Braithwaite Manor in the epilogue to check out how the "secret" they kept out in the woods was doing. :smith:

Can you actually release them or no?

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Money is easy as hell to get now. Took advantage of the way better character creator and made a character that didn't look like they had mumps, then just ran the new story stuff and got some maps in between and I must have made 2000+ dollars, and I'm already level 14 with most of my guns I had back, and a swag poncho and bolero hat. I just wish I could have ammo bandoliers now...

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Nash posted:

If I purchased gold with real cash but decide I want to delete my character will I still have that gold? Is gold tied to your account or to your character?

You keep all your cash and gold; lose everything else

Once you finish the tutorial all your cash and gold appear

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

hup posted:

I don’t think that’s true, actually; you get a good chunk of gold from the tutorial, though

Also am I the only one who’s missing at least one mission from the story? I was stuck at 87% before the new content and had one that I’d only ever played through matchmaking

Have you ever not been a gunslinger or an outlaw? You are probably missing one, and you can't do it because you aren't the right morality end for it to trigger

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

its all nice on rice posted:

I can see them taking a cut of your gold if you make a new character so people don't just keep rerolling and stockpiling it off the tutorial.

That would make sense actually yeah

Maybe they take as much as would cause you to break even? I came out with more gold from it then less though :shrug:

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Capn Beeb posted:

I really hope Rockstar lets us resculpt our characters with the refined creator.

I might not have done it if I had more to lose than guns and two horses, but I was only like level 30 so it was an eh. Also you get up right now very fast with a new character: I'm level 14 and just started yesterday afternoon, and I haven't even played consecutively

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Capn Beeb posted:

Same. I threw out the idea last night with a buddy because people would of course grumble about plastic surgery not existing back then so what if: there's a new stranger mission with somebody running a still making Ultrashine and you try it, pass out, and the Strange Man shows up and asks you how you see yourself since you got busted out of the jail wagon. Fade to black, load the character editor. Keep the stranger active so you can always go back and fine tune your character.

Also I sure hope with the fur trading career path thing coming the buffalo rifle returns to go with it :q:

There are going to be career options? That sounds pretty cool tbh

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Can anyone tell me how weight works in this game? It says I'm overweight so my character hasn't eaten anything in hours and I use tonics to heal, but my healthcore is low and I'm still overweight?

Do I need to run around and burn stamina like GTA SA or something?

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Capn Beeb posted:

Well this is a hell of a weekly update.

Ride out to the Adler Ranch in Ambarino or search out the infamous gunslinger Black Belle in Lemoyne for new Free Roam Missions to play in Red Dead Online for both PS4 and Xbox One.

This week's updates also include new Early Access content for players on PlayStation 4 including the devastating Ancient Tomahawk along with a new Make It Count: Ancient Tomahawk Showdown Mode. There's also Last Stand, a bloody free-for-all Showdown Mode with no way out, no second chances and one winner. PlayStation 4 players will also get early access to the new Perlino Andalusian Horse and new horse equipment, clothing and emotes.

In addition to 25% RDO$ and Gold increased payouts for all A Land of Opportunities Missions, Free Roam Missions, Showdown Modes, Races and Free Roam Events – playing in a Posse this week at any point will earn you 5 bonus Gold Bars. There are a number of benefits to playing in a Posse beyond this week’s 5 bonus Gold Bars, including bonus RDO$ and XP when playing together, and the ability to bring an entire Posse into Free Roam Events, Competitive Challenges, or Showdown Series.

We continue to work behind the scenes to address overall game stability and performance with recent fixes including closing some duplication exploits, resolving issues related to reduced numbers of animals in sessions, updating Defensive mode to revert Playing Style to Offensive and apply a Hostility penalty when stealing cargo from another player’s horse and more.

I guess we needed to have some God drat Faith™

The nicest thing I have seen is I don't lose pelts anymore or get shot by dipshits or tied and dragged when I am hunting rare birds outside St. Denis, so that is already a huge improvement to me.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

^ I just ride ahead and tie up everyone of them I can, then hope my posse is not too brain damaged to figure out the rest

How is Sadie involved? Isn't this a couple years before RDR 2? She is just a homesteader right?

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 22:49 on May 21, 2019

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Capn Beeb posted:

Yeah she's out at her ranch way up in the mountains with her husband. Bring a cold weather outfit cause that core drain isn't loving around.

Also I can't open any of the doors to talk to Belle :(

What qualifies as a "cold weather outfit"? Like what coats and pants?

I played this a few months ago and still have a hard time figuring that out

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 02:19 on May 22, 2019

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Pretty sure the clothes say whether they are or not on the “dress your cowboy up” screen

I meant in the store

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Lol good luck with that

I forsee that going great! It's not like Rockstar and Take2 have a loving army of lawyers or anything :downs:

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 19:26 on May 22, 2019

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

its all nice on rice posted:

Between the random crashes and disconnects, I don't even bother hunting anything larger than small animals and birds. In the event I find a three star buck, I just drop the pelt on the ground after skinning.

How do you folks get so unlucky? Game has barely ever crashed for me

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Nash posted:

So I see how ever time you rank up right now you get gold. What’s the quickest way to level? I’m only rank 7 and just got into the free roam part of online.

Just do story stuff. It gives a lot of xp and money

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Fanatic posted:

I think they've hotfixed it now :( oh well, good while it lasted.

Did they take everybody's ill gotten gains and give them a penalty point?

I spent mine on guns and items before it could be taken away :getin:

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 17:04 on May 23, 2019

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Go to stables in the player menu, hit stables, specialty horses, pick story to your horse

I don't know why Scrawny Nag defaults to story when you switch horses, but it does

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Agent Burt Macklin posted:

I know jack about guns IRL or within this game outside of the stat bars, but I used the pump action and carbine for my entire SP play through. Online, I use Evans because I love the sound it makes - but the carbine is my backup. The varmint rifle is incredible for headshots, too.

Is the Evans any good? It seemed like a wierd outlier repeater

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Ainsley McTree posted:

The nice thing about the game, at least the single player, is that it doesn’t really demand peak performance, so even if a weapon is “worse” than others, you’re good to just use it if you think it’s cool and it fulfills your cowboy fantasies.

Like I really enjoy the way the bolt action feels, even if the Springfield with express rounds is probably a much more useful gun.

Yeah, if you slowly press down R2 with your gun holstered, it fills the meter and behaves like you’re in a duel, letting you open up a fight with cool slowmo hip fire poo poo. It’s good for those encounters where NPCs get in your face but aren’t instantly hostile.

:stare:

That's loving awesome

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

JustaDamnFool posted:

Anyone got any tips on making a online character with a on hosed up face? I got a free face change coupon but I don't want to blow it.

(In-game shots, but lines on tv due to phone camera)

I made her with the help of my wife, after dicking around with the character creator for an hour or two. It's really not that bad once you get the hang of it and get an idea of what you want your character to look like

You want to always really define the chin structure, it helps the whole face, regardless of what heritage preset you do. You also want to define the lips, keep the eye and nose ratio in a good place as well as the mouth, and make sure the Jawline matches up with rest of the chin and mouth. Cheeks should be defined somewhere towards the middle, but don't go sullen or heavy, it will make your character look like they have mumps

For male or female, find a good defining feature of the face you want to emphasize, and pick your hairstyle/ beard around that. For woman use light makeup, except for the feature you want to draw attention to, like the eyes or lips, and apply that a little heavier (wife taught me this lol)

For male characters, use beards and facial hair to define weak jaws or give the character some personality. And for god sakes go into the complexion settings and turn most of that poo poo to none or as minimal as possible, you will look a lot less like an oatmeal raisin cookie

Hope this helps! :)

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Aug 7, 2020

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

FuturePastNow posted:

One thing to note is that all the makeup options (as well as facial blemishes, scars, etc) have an opacity slider in the character creator that is missing from the in-game appearance editor at the barber.

Also loving this

Do your hair stuff at the barber, but NEVER touch the makeup, unless you want to look like an 80s star

Also, I have really been digging the Naturalist update overall, but god are these dcs on ps4 ridiculous today and two days ago

Is there a way to fix this poo poo from my end, or is everybody else experiencing it?

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Aug 7, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Capn Beeb posted:

Sure is fun when you're teaching some new friends game mechanics when a posse of mod menu dipshits teleport to you, have god mode enabled, and spawn hostile AI clones of themselves :shepface:

This poo poo is why I will never play an online Rockstar game on pc again

gently caress better graphics: at least I'm not constantly being hacked to the top of a building during a gun run, or getting temp banned because some fucker decided to give everyone in the server millions in GTA online and somehow I was complicit :shepface:

That poo poo is completely overrun

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Aug 7, 2020