Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay
How the gently caress do you cook seasoned food? It says I need a grill but I can't find any mention of this anywhere in the game and googling yields 0 results.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Ben Nerevarine posted:

At the fire in the main camp, or you can set up a camp in the wilderness through your L1 menu. I believe it's in Items, at the bottom.

That only lets you cook unseasoned food, it says you need a grill to cook seasoned food. So how do I get the grill?

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay
I got hit by a bug and lost my legendary elk pelt and the horn. I rode around with the pelt on the back of my horse for like 5 hours while gathering stuff and somewhere along the way the pelt turned from "Legendary Elk Pelt" to just "Pelt" and I couldn't sell it to either trapper. So now the Elk is dead and I didn't get the materials, I checked their inventories and it did not get added automatically, it just disappeared. So don't ride around for too long with a legendary pelt on the back of your horse I guess.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay
You don't have to actually "hunt" the legendary animals. Somewhere in the area there will be a "?" on the minimap that starts a tracking-chain that always leads to you getting the drop on the animal. If you use the special vision mode the "?" is visible on the map further away.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Bold Robot posted:

Kind of a broad question but what items are worth crafting? Are there any non-obvious mats that I should be hanging on to? I'm near the end of Chapter 2 and haven't done much hunting yet beyond just taking out convenient nearby animals and the legendary bear mission that you get really on. Only thing I've crafted is a double holster at the trapper, which ended up being a poor decision because I got one for free like a mission or two later.

The only items that are "worth" crafting are the trinkets and poo poo that the fence can make. Some of them have really good properties, for example the trinket you make from the legendary buck makes it so that animals on your horse no longer decay.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Anyone have a legendary pelt bug out? I skinned the moose, the white pelt is still on my horse, but the trapper only recognizes the antlers in my inventory. I tried carrying it to him and reloading the game, but nothing worked. How long does it take the trapper to recognize a pelt you dropped or lost?

Yes, I got exactly the same thing but with the Elk pelt. You are hosed my friend, unfortunately I found no way of getting the pelt back and since the legendary animal is dead you can't get another one. Hopefully they will fix this in a patch but probably not.

Since dropped legendary pelts get added to the trapper inventory automatically I would suggest just skinning the animal and then dropping the pelt on the ground and let the game add it to the trapper inventory. This way you don't have to ride back to the trapper with it and there is no chance of this bug happening (the bug seems to transform the pelt on the back of your horse from "Legendary *animal* Pelt" to just "Pelt").

Regarding premium cigarettes, you don't have to smoke all of them to pick up new ones, you can just go into your satchel (right d-pad) and discard all of them at once.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

D-Pad posted:

I just saw a youtube video of easter eggs and there is an actual UFO you can see in the game by doing something specific I won't spoil.

Everyone knows about the UFO, it was one of the first things discovered. You can see it at night over that weird cabin and also at mount shann.

I discovered something yesterday that I haven't seen anyone mention yet. I was riding towards Rhodes on the railway when suddenly a ghost train appeared right in front of me, it went towards me and continued on but seemed to disappear around a bend. I recorded a clip of it but forgot to upload it last night.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Nymix posted:

What are the chances we're gonna get some cross-platform play between PS4 and xbone when online comes out? I used to play the original RDR with a bunch of guys on the 360 but since then we've dispersed between the two consoles and It's gonna be deeply upsetting if we can't relive th'olden days. :ohdear:

Absolutely 0.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Lid posted:

Figured out how the hunting trinket works

Sometimes, but not every time, a skin will be upgraded after it's picked up or skinned. For example a two star corpse will result in a three star skin randomly. This seems to apply to one stars too as one star rat corpses can be picked up and they will be labelled perfect. So in essence every skin has a chance to be perfect rather than no chance if done wrong

One thing I noticed is that you can kill 3 star snakes with the varmint rifle and still have it become a perfect skin. The corpse will be 2 stars but the skin will be perfect, this does not work with squirrels for some reason.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay
Anyone got any tips on beating the weapon challenge "3 kills with throwing knives in 10 seconds"? It's absolutely impossible for me, it's way too hard to aim that quickly for me and since you can't fire 3 times in 1 dead eye you need to dead eye 3 separate times giving the enemies time to move making it even harder.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

HORMELCHILI posted:

i havent done it yet but a random gang camp with fortified core and meter for dead eye could probably get it done

That's exactly the setup I have been trying to do since the camps have 3 people very close to each other. 2 people standing and a third sitting by the fire. The problem I have is that I can kill 2 of them pretty quickly but the third always has enough time to dive behind cover.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Jibo posted:

Find a chicken pen or a group of three or more turkeys and just aim and throw.

LIVE AMMO ROLEPLAY posted:

I did it with three chickens (or whatever those poor farm animals were.)

I hadn't even realized you just need 3 kills, not 3 human kills. Thank you!

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay
Being underweight actually gives you more stamina, or make it drain slower, whatever, it's better!

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

super macho dude posted:

Holy poo poo I cannot for the life of me catch any of these tiny rear end songbirds needed for most of the Trappers hat decorations.

If you go back to the first campsite, horseshoe overlook or whatever it's called, there should be songbirds (Cardinals) perched on the 2 large rocks that are there. Once you pick up their corpses you need to enter your satchel and go to the bird and select "dismantle" or something to get the feathers.

I traveled all over the map where they are supposed to be but couldn't find a single one but in that location, during the day, I found 2.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Fuzz posted:

Think it can only carry 3, actually.

You can carry an unlimited amount of medium pelts on the horse.

PirateBob posted:

How do I get some sleep/pass time in Saint Denis? I thought about the saloons but they are closed at night (or rather, one is closed due to rat infestation). Do I really have to ride outside city limits to set up camp?

There are 2 saloons in the city. One is closed but the other is open 24/7, it might look closed on the minimap but if you go there you will find it is open for business.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Reign Of Pain posted:

I've just noticed that R1+X allows for power braking on the horse....I need to pay more attention :(

Powersliding can also cause the best bug in the game, horse dancing: https://xboxclips.com/tjiev/e088c82c-ea4f-4199-b090-5a0903a75254

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

MeatwadIsGod posted:

Has anyone found out where cardinals are? I need that and a good rat to finish the second hunting request.

If you go back to the first campsite, Horseshoe Overlook, during the day, you should hopefully find cardinals perched on the 2 big rocks that are there.

RatHat posted:

How does postgame work in this? Are all non-gang sidequests still available?

You can still do stranger missions and other stuff yes, even the pigfarm "event".

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Aranan posted:

I've been getting the message that there is too much activity for the legendary buck to spawn. I've ran out and back in a few times, cleared out a bunch of wildlife, saved and reloaded, rested multiple times to various parts of the day, and looked around for any stranger events but nothing is solving this issue.

Any idea what's going on and how to get the buck to spawn? I want that trinket.

In my experience something has spawned on top of the "clues" that you need to find and follow when hunting legendary animals. In my case there was a lone guy camping right on top of the first clue. I think the solution is to leave the area, let 3 in-game days pass and then go back and hope you get lucky. I traveled to Saint Denis and slept for a few days and went back and there it was.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

AllNewJonasSalk posted:

I'm not sure if this is common knowledge but I just realized that when you enter the territory of a legendary animal and then check your map there is a very small question mark that marks off the first piece of evidence. Now I feel like a dumbo for all the mindless running around. You may need to be within its vicinity but I'm not sure of that.

The question mark only appears if you are close to it, activating the special vision mode makes it appear further away on the minimap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay
How is the online in this game? I remember back in RDR how you would get constantly sniped by people you couldn't even see, is it still the same issue in this game or did they fix it?