Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
This stupid loving game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4z9MXmy_6iA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
I just learned that you can customize a default weapon loadout at the gunsmith so I don't have to re-equip my two rifles everytime I get of the horse. Next thing of course I get to a mission that resets that loadout so I have to go to the gunsmith again. This game is so poorly explained and stumbles over its own feet so much.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

snoremac posted:

It’s not the best solution.

That should be the subtitle for this game. Jesus Christ have I never played a game that's so intent on killing the fun via a thousand little deaths. And I say that as someone who enjoys slow-paced and *immersive* games.

Edit: I feels like they had exactly one type of player playing in exactly one specfic way in mind when they designed and tested this, and if you deviate only a little from their intended cinematic experience, either scripted or self-imposed, it just breaks apart.

GhostDog fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Feb 10, 2019

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

AxeManiac posted:

I'm playing other games and realizing how little heart and work went into them. Like Vampyr, a dumb game I'm hate playing just to finish it, your character has to often check doors and he says the same two things over and over. You can eat rats to get back health and it takes like 5-6 rats to get your meter full, and I've done this about 200 times and I'm not even half way done with the game and he just says the same two lines over and over. I'm worried games are broken for me now after RDR2, much like an open world without climbing seems so limited after Breath of the Wild.

I'm still going to buy and replay the game on PC, if you let me rockstar!!!!

Vampyr isn't very good, but attributing that to a lack of heart and work seems a bit unfair. Dotnod is a small/midsize studio, the amount of money and resources poured into something like Read Dead 2 is so far out of their reach it might as well be in another universe.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

AxeManiac posted:

I know resources are limited, but it's bad design to make the hero say the same two lines hundreds of times in a fully talking game like that, at the very least put in code to stop him from saying it every time and just say it like every 50th time.

I get that, I just take (a bit of) umbrage classifying that as lazy or unmotivated. They probably had this and about eight hundred other open issues and would-like-to-improve things on their todo list that just ended up below the "we need to release here to put bread on the table" line.

And there's some really bad design in Red Dead 2 too. The controls for example are complete rear end. Shuffling around for five seconds to get a "pick up" prompt to appear (sometimes square, sometimes L1 for whatever reason) should not be a thing in a 200 hundred million dollar game.

Anyway, I get where you're coming from. There are moments in Red Dead 2 that it's easy to wax effusive about :)

Anti-Hero posted:

"That's ma gurrrl!"

"You done good gurrrl."

Edit:
While on the subject of controls, I still haven't quite figured out the auto-ride thing. In cinematic camera and with a custom waypoint/route I can put the controller away, but when I'm with a posse riding towards a mission objective I need to hold X to keep speed. Outside of the cinematic camera the horse seems to follow roads somewhat without steering input just holding X, but when a turn is to sharp it just seems to lose tracking and then keeps going in a straight line. Am I doing something wrong?

GhostDog fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Feb 12, 2019

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
I'm somewhere in chapter 4 and I finally spent some serious money on a new faster horse.

Didn't feel right so I went back to my previous good girl.

Like, seriously, what the gently caress?

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

Super Foul Egg posted:

meaningful driver of recurrent consumer spending."

David Icke is right.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

GreatGreen posted:

do what now

Davi Icke thinks humans have been infiltrated and a lot of the rich and powerful are reptilians in disguise. I think about that when I read a quote from Strauss Zelnick, or any CEO really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
No idea how true that is, but I've seen the argument that (if you want to play mutlipat games) you should go with 8 cores these days to be on par with the next console gen.