Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVu6CWpNrh4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost
Do different horse types react to combat in different ways? I feel like my old war horse stuck around in gunfights a lot more than my race horse does but it could just be my imagination.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

Junkenstein posted:

Ooooh so that's why everyone's been going about hunting; that's what the real cowboy Barbie is hidden behind.

:hellyeah:

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

TMMadman posted:

Why use split bullets when you can just spend like 3-5 bucks or whatever to fill up on express bullets for each weapon type?

Split bullets increase the amount of time you can spend in dead-eye. The extra damage from express doesn't matter when you're headshotting 6 dudes at once in slow motion.

I still pack both types and switch to express when I feel like popping out of cover and locking on to center mass.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost
Last night I antagonize/defuse spammed a French dandy man in Saint Denis until he started running, then I chased him into the bayou and tripped him into the mud repeatedly by running into him. Unfortunately I got side tracked by a shrieking woman in the swamp but now I'm wondering how far I can make an npc run, or if I can get one to get gator'd in the swamp.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

free hubcaps posted:

Does the gunsmith in Rhodes reopen if you let him live after freeing his replacement son

I stabbed that gunsmith to death after freeing his captive and he still re-opened later

So, probably yes?

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

Republicans posted:

These free roam pvp events would be a lot better if they split you into teams instead of it being completely free-for-all. I just did one where you need to grab a horse and take it somewhere but it never reached the destination so nobody got anything when it was done.
They also need to make it so you don't actually use your own ammo during the events. Sick of being out of rifle ammo. At least during the events it will spawn you with a minimum amount of ammo every time you die.

Yeah I want to play team games with my friends but there's no playlist just for those so we get thrown into FFAs and hardly even see each other

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

Zaphod42 posted:

I've been shooting gang leaders like a moron

Wait poo poo they will give you a treasure map if you take them alive?

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

Vadoc posted:

I ended up somewhat shocked earlier on during a homestead robbery where I ended up in a fight and the double-barreled shotgun made some woman's head explode. While I'm used to that in many games, I hadn't experienced any of that in the RDR2 yet and assumed that it didn't have any kind of limb loss damage.

Try doing a running tackle with your sawed off equipped :kheldragar:

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost
What is even the point of "persistent" posses? My friend ponied up $200 for one when RDO was initially released. Some of our friend group has returned to check out the recent update and we're all still posse members but we can't join the posse unless he's online to activate it. And you can only post missions as the posse leader, so if I have supplies to start a trader mission and my friend doesn't, we have to jump out of our persistent posse and have me form a temporary one. Seems like we should just use temporary posses.

I thought we were making something like a guild but I guess it's more like a party with a static name.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost
I started a local delivery last night from a camp on Lemoyne and it sent me all the way to Blackwater. Technically close if not for the gulf of water between the two points. I've done my last two deliveries from Tall Trees to Blackwater and it's been pretty quick.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost
poo poo, I've been walking carcasses back on foot with my horse following. Dragging the carcass doesn't lower the carcass quality?

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost
Everyone on PS4 got a Trader license for free and I had Twitch Prime already to get the Bounty Hunter license free. Grinding out 15 gold for the remaining collector license wasn't that bad. Keeping your challenge streak going isn't a big deal especially when the challenges are as simple as "kill an alligator"

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

Chuds McGreedy posted:

I think all the mission timers follow the same rule that mission timers have followed. Longer you wait, the bigger the payout.

Wait at the doorstep of the turn in with that trader wagon, or bounty, and watch TV until 29s left and turn it on in for max payout.

I think I'd rather just not bother with bounty hunting than spend time not playing the game to maximize rewards. What a silly system.

How has everyone's distant large trades been going? I assisted someone with theirs today in the reddit discord and it was uneventful, just had to deal with some wolves and a lot of npc bandits. No gankers in sight.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

BarkingSquirrel posted:

I just kill em and take it. You get so much positive honor simply playing the game it sickening.

"Yeah he's a murderer that will kill you for the nickel in your pocket, but he takes good care of his horse and is resourceful!"

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost
https://www.reddit.com/r/RedDeadOnl...tm_source=share

Why do you hate her so much anyway?

Diephoon fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Sep 17, 2019

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost
My initial impression of her is that she's a grifter, but I'm a murder-hobo/wildlife apocalypse so I don't judge.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost
According the the reddit bugs/known issues thread the bounty hunter thing is a display bug, you should still be getting xp.

quote:

Bounty Hunter XP issue
Players aren't earning XP in some roles after completing missions, predominately Bounty Hunters.

Bounty Hunters aren't being paid properly.

/u/OldManSeven received this response from Rockstar about the issue:

Thank you for contacting Rockstar Support. We are aware of the issue where Experience Points do not appear on screen however, they are correctly being added to the characters. We are currently working to fix this issue. In case further information is required, we will contact you. If you have any further queries, please feel free to contact us. Best regards, Rebecca k. Rockstar Support

Also, I stumbled across a legendary bounty in Armadillo (or was it Tumbleweed?) The bounty had a cutscene intro and everything. No timer on the mission so I was able to snipe all of her lackeys in peace. There was a lives limit of 2, however.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

Evil Badman posted:

If you're going to play with regularity for a bit, do the 35 gold pass, and whatever free Roles you qualify for. The pass XP generates quickly and will pay out the 35 gold investment if you get to rank 70. I've been casually playing and already hit 53.

Seconding this, the battle pass isn't really grindy at all if you're going to play a lot. I just finished it yesterday. It will pay back your gold in increments of 7 bars every so many levels.

talktapes posted:

Jumping back into Online this week after not playing since beta. On PS4 so been working on grinding out the trader stuff (which is super fun since I basically use the game as a hunting sim anyway), but I do have about 40 gold squirreled away from all the bonuses at the beginning.

What's the verdict on the other professions, would both or either of them be worth jumping into right now? Just trying to figure out if it's a good investment or if I should hang onto the gold.

Trader is based around hunting, recommend you have a long scoped rifle for headshotting deer and a varmint rifle for annihilating every bird and small animal that you see (except ravens, they're basically worthless). The way it works is you bring materials (aka dead animals) to the butcher table in your camp. Whole carcasses are generally worth much more than pelts. Cripps will slowly turn them into goods over time. This process uses your "supply" meter. Eventually you will run out of supplies. Once this happens you can spend $20 to refill them (don't do this) or you can start a supply mission. In these supply missions you will usually fight npcs and steal their wagons/supply bags to keep Cripps' operation running. Make sure you loot every person you kill if possible, Rockstar sped up the animation time and they actually drop valuable items now. Sometimes Cripps will ask you to hunt a specific animal and give it to a person who will provide you with supplies instead of having you murder people. All of these missions give good trader xp so they're worth doing instead of just buying more supplies.

If you have friends playing with you, supply bag missions are better since you get more xp per bag. Once you have enough goods created you can start a trade mission to drive a wagon full of goods from your camp to either a local area or a distant area. Distant drives aren't worth the time investment until you have a large trading wagon imo. The small one you start with carries 25 goods, medium carries 50, and large carries 100. (you have to buy the medium wagon before you can buy large). Once you have a large wagon it's worth doing distant trades because you will get paid $625 as opposed to $500 for a local trade. If you really want to grind trader xp you can just keep spamming distant trades with only 1 goods for sale, but I never did this because it sounds boring as hell. Unfortunately, I do not believe that Cripps converts materials into goods unless you are solo or running the posse yourself. He also doesn't create goods when you're offline. Ideally you will be able to fill up your materials meter and go do other stuff while Cripps gets all your goods ready for trade.

I also recommend joining the Red Dead Online reddit discord, people will invite you to their posse for trader runs. It's easy money and XP to the tune of $300 just for riding along with a large distant trade run. I'm riding behind one right now in cinematic mode as I type this.

Collecting has a bit of an investment before it takes off, you need $700 for the metal detector and $300 (or was it $350?) for a shovel. Once you get those you can roam around the desert digging poo poo up for tons of easy xp. Until then, you can use eagle eye mode to look for collectible items that can potentially spawn in every lovely little shack in the game. Sometimes you will loot collectibles off of npcs, make sure to loot everyone you kill! Once you finish collecting an entire set, you can mail it or bring it to Madam Nazar for a big payout of xp/money. You can also sell individual collectible to Madam Nazar if you really need cash now.

Bounty Hunting I have the least experience with. Right now I think it's fun to play, but there are supposedly bugs that might prevent you from getting xp. There is also a mechanic where you get more pay if you wait until the last 30 seconds of the mission timer to turn the bounty in. I never do this because standing around not playing the game seems real dumb imo. They just released legendary bounties. In some locales (right now it's Armadillo or Tumbleweed) you will find a legendary bounty poster with a star icon on it instead of dollar signs. This bounty mission will have no timer, but will have a limited amount of lives. After you complete it you can run it again after a while at two star difficulty, then three star, and so on up to five star difficulty. So far I've only done up to three star but at that point the npcs were actually starting to feel dangerous. Regular bounty missions are randomly generated and are your standard "show up, find bounty, catch/kill them and bring them back to a jail." Sometimes you have to wait for the bounty to show up before you can capture them.

All three of these new roles have associated Free Roam missions that you will be invited to periodically after gaining a few levels in the role. So far the only one I've done is the Trader mission. In this mission, you and 9 other players protect a train from npcs. In my experience, there are so many other players that it is impossible to fail this mission unless everyone is afk. At the end you will receive pay, xp, and goods to trade.

tl;dr All of the roles add content that's worth doing and is easy XP, definitely pick them all up asap. If you don't have enough gold to unlock them all start with Trader, then Collector, then Bounty Hunter. Or just pick what you think is gonna be fun for you to do.

Diephoon fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Sep 18, 2019

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost
The horse masks are actually considered saddle accessories so I'm pretty sure you can just use them on every potential new horse.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost
Feels like players are becoming a bit more hostile. Presumably people have burned through the Outlaw Pass and the new Roles already, or maybe the deathmatchers have come back for the new update as well. I switched to local deliveries after my wagon got one shotted by a single fire arrow. We had five people but the guy only had to land one shot to ruin our payout.

Some redditors worked up a list of links to clothing items that you can buy online but not in game. https://www.reddit.com/r/RedDeadOnline/comments/d9ak72/limited_stock_item_links/

This includes the Gardenia Hat :allears:

Diephoon fucked around with this message at 12:40 on Sep 27, 2019

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost
You should prioritize getting the large wagon ASAP. For some reason the last 100th good is worth an extra $100. Like, 99/100 goods is $400 local delivery, 100/100 goods is $500.

The hunting wagon is great, but you have to summon/dismiss it frequently or get used to the slower pace (which honestly might be better since you'll probably spook less game). The hunting wagon is also great just for storing your kills. My friend was rustling the sheep at Emerald Ranch one night and someone else came by and blew up his hunting wagon. He managed to get some perfect carcasses in there before hand and they were still there when he resummoned the hunting wagon later. You can also use it to preserve carcasses to donate to your friends' trading operations if you want to switch instances, or just keep them around while you're offline. Just don't forget to buy the insurance!

Diephoon fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Sep 27, 2019

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

Ainsley McTree posted:

Are the collector items always in the same exact spot? I don't particularly enjoy the "find an item in a broad yellow search zone" style of gameplay but if you can just cheat with a 3rd party website until you get the metal detector then I might just do that if the money's good.

Speaking of money, do bounty hunter rewards get better as you level the role up? I tooled around with it last night and I got literally $9 for turning in a live capture; does it just suck when you're low level?

Collector items make your controller vibrate as a hot/cold mechanism. The items also make a distinct sound when you're near one (I use this to locate items because I keep controller vibration turned off). They're not always in the same spot, apparently there's a set of three spawns for the entire game world that rotate at different times.

Bounty hunter rewards get better when you gain access to harder bounties. The $ on the poster is an indicator of the difficulty. $$ and $$$ pay more.

Trader is by far the most profitable profession once you have the large delivery wagon if you have time to hunt all day to fill up your materials. Collectibles are a decent source of money since they're fuckin' everywhere especially once you have a metal detector. I have so many duplicate collectibles that I sell myself down to 2 of each item, keeping spares to finish the collection and to consume them when it's a daily challenge (usually antique alcohol).

Also, the Trader and Collector free roam games are great for boosting your income. A perfect Trade Route run nets you 18 goods (this saves a lot of time waiting for goods to generate), and I can usually grab at least 10 collectible items while I'm in Salvage.

Diephoon fucked around with this message at 12:40 on Oct 2, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

zooted heh posted:

yeah can someone explain if you can do the new role and trader together? is it a branching path?

From what I've read on reddit/discord it seems like Harriet just won't work with you if you killed animals recently. You can get around it by waiting a while before you talk to her or switching instances.

I can't confirm this myself, I tried to play again, fired up a treasure map, got to the map location, got mauled by a bear, respawned, got shot by players, found the treasure (only .7 gold) and got an infinite loading screen when I tried to fast travel so I just decided to stop playing.