Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

The whole console pricing situation is hosed up. Sony and co. want everyone to go digital. The best way to do this would be to price downloads sensibly but they can't do that because they still rely a lot on brick and mortar stores who wouldn't put up with it. Sony also hate the second hand market, which a lot of brick and mortars rely on.

Steam took off partly because it coincided with shops pretty much stopping selling PC games anyway. That's not going to happen with consoles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Good review from Eurogamer that isn't all gushing. This bit has me intrigued

quote:

The 60 hours it takes to see Morgan's story through to the end can be a slog, then, but it's the next 60 where you'll find Red Dead Redemption 2's real grace, when you're away from the straitjacket of Rockstar's own story, where the world can breathe and its true potential is realised (and where, in an act of incredible generosity, that world opens up).

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Is there a point where it's worth powering through missions to get to? I've just done the mission that takes you to Valentine and the bounty there and it feels like there's still a shitload of stuff hidden behind more tutorial missions?

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Hobo Clown posted:

Yeah I noticed that with Dead Eye too. Either I'm doing it wrong or there's no way to choose what you shoot, so one guy will get painted up with 6 red X's and then it runs out before I can aim at anybody else.

I haven't got to this point myself yet, but from what I understand it's like RDR 1 and gets upgraded as you progress. I believe the next stage lets you manually select where to put the shots.

Pro Tip: R3 cycles between various angles in the cinematic camera. Still wish the horse would auto follow the road outside that cinematic mode though.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

fuf posted:

I would give anything for an auto route button like assassin's creed. I just want to be able to admire the scenery as I ride. At the moment you can't even look around properly because the right stick also steers the horse as well as looking.

You can auto route in cinematic camera by holding X for a bit. Can't look around but you can change camera angles with R3.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Qubee posted:

Did some reading online and it turns out even if you're wearing a bandana, it only protects you against small crimes. If you go on a killing spree or do something big, the mask doesn't do squat and you'll still get a bounty pinned on your head. Nice.

The bounty system sucks in many ways, but I don't really see why slipping on one item should let you get away with murdering a whole town. They might as well just not have a wanted system if it was that easy to turn on and off.

goferchan posted:

Whoa I just found the coolest off-the-map poo poo. I was browsing around in a gun shop and noticed a secret metal door in the back with a guy who denied me entry through a slot, so then I was able to hold up the shopkeeper and ask him what's in the back room -- I threatened him into giving me access and he led me to a secret high stakes poker game upstairs. The players threw $50 onto the table and told me it was all they had, and warned me the commotion would attract the law, and sure enough I could see they were on the way. One dude was acting sketchy though and I could see he was standing in front of a tiny wall safe, so I panicked and shot him to gain access before the cops arrived -- it was locked though and all the other players started screaming that he was the only one who knew the combination and they couldn't open it for me, and then the cops burst in and shot me to death. Got $50 for my troubles but man I really wish I knew how to get in that safe!

Lots of shops have 'side businesses' which you can find and then rob.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Tercio posted:

where do i buy new gun belts, holsters, and satchels?

or are those only crafted?

The second holster (which lets you dual wield) comes from a chapter 2 mission. One of those cases where it's worth powering through the story to unlock stuff.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

This is like week one of a Dark Souls release where the whole internet is helping each other figure how how everything works.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

DrNutt posted:

I'm finding the game mostly incredible but poo poo like this makes me think "huh, did this seriously never come up in testing? At all?"

The passage of time in the game feels perfectly correct to a Rockstar tester on the 89th hour of his working week.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

elpaganoescapa posted:

The Lenny mission was great, but the best drunken mission of all time still goes to the Witcher 3

Both are fantastic. The one in Kingdom Come tops them all though.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Lol, over ten hours in and a little pop just tells me that if you press X to the rhythm of your horse's galloping, it doesn't lose stamina.

This game.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

DrNutt posted:

Are you able to get one if you didn't bother reinstalling GTA online to do the linked stuff for the stone tomahawk or whatever? I definitely want one to go with my bow and knives.

A mission will give you one and the fence sells them too.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Fart City posted:

As my memory serves bounties in RDR1 were randomized and populated at a fairly quick pace. I’m well into chapter 3, and I’ve only seen three so far, and they were all pretty scripted. Anybody know if there are a finite amount this time around?

Yeah, all scripted. The random events they put into GTA V and this are great, but you'll only see them once. The move away from repeatable randomised tasks like bounty hunting kinda sucks.

Maybe they'll be in Online (urgh).

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Ooooh so that's why everyone's been going about hunting; that's what the real cowboy Barbie is hidden behind.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Got a train to St Denis and got off on the opposite side to my horse. Train started pulling away as all I could hear was my horse in pain getting repeatedly run over and the icon for my buffalo hide got slowly pushed along the tracks. Game can be so cruel.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

uncle w benefits posted:

gently caress YOU!!!!

I've entered that area a dozen times, from all angles, at all hours of the day, and every time there is TOO MUCH ACTIVITY TO TRACK ANIMAL.

I mean, it's the WOODS. It's teeming with game.

What do I have to do to get the stupid thing to spawn?

If you're still having issues, leave the area, camp overnight, go back to area.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

shortspecialbus posted:

So what the gently caress does the Legendary Buck Trinket do anyways? It supposedly improves the quality of harvested pelts but I've never seen it do that once. I cleanly killed a bunch of two star animals and got 2 star pelts. I then tried messily killing some 3 star animals to see if it helped with that, and no, I got 1-2 star pelts depending how messy I was. What does it actually do?

It seems to be a chance at upgrading a pelt. I've had more than one 3 star pelt get downgraded to 2 after I kill it, then when I skin it, it's back up to 3. But it's not a certainty.

What I'm not sure about is if it needs to be 3 stars to start, or if there's a chance of a 2 star pelt being upgraded if you get a clean kill.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Lid posted:

Does the legendary buck thing actually work? 3 stars are still needed for perfect and don't seem any more common. Plus you can still see one stars everywhere when they should be two stars minimum now.

It seems to be that if you gently caress up and turn a three star into a two star, there's a chance it'll get bumped back up to three. I've seen this happen, so it does work.

It's unclear if it can raise the quality past what it originally was.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Well, the launcher bug was a good excuse to update my BIOS from the Ryzen 3600 launch one anyway. Didn't make any difference to RDR2, but you know.....

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

MagusDraco posted:

One of the Digital Foundry guys is saying to not worry too much about not being able to hit High and Ultra settings and invoking Crysis 2.

https://twitter.com/Dachsjaeger/status/1191821703850156032

Yeah, I mean this looked so good on my base PS4, if those same quality settings are equal to PC Medium or whatever and I can get that at 60 FPS, I will be very happy.

Although right now I will be very happy to see the splash screen.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

It always felt like, similar to GTAV, that the shooting would be much more fun and satisfying with a mouse. What's the verdict on that?

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Launcher still crashes for me. I don't think I'm playing it until MSI release the latest BIOS for the B450 Tomahawk. gently caress sake.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

I don't think you can just rob any old store (might be wrong though), but if you find something dodgy around some of them, you'll get the option to do a stick-up when you walk in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Glenn Quebec posted:

I put this up in my discord for the guys but I think this will help:

[Image from article here for quick reference](https://imgur.com/a/vZa3D3G)

It seems the most taxing graphics options (in order) are:

1. MSAA
2. Reflection Quality
3. Water Quality
4. Volumetrics Quality
5. Near Volumetric Resolution
6. TAA
7. Shadow Quality
8. SSAO
9. Texture Quality
10. Volumetric Lighting Quality

All the rest seem to have meager returns.

This leaves out the geometry and grass draw distance sliders which both have huge impact on my 1070.