Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
Finally preordered, now I have that timer on my PS4 just taunting me. Though I kinda love these last few days of anticipation, with goons jumping from leaked stream to leaked stream, getting hyped and getting mad about spoiling themselves and getting into arguments over something trivial like the reload animation on the revolver or whatever :allears:

As weird as it sounds, have they talked any more about the non-lethal options? So many times in RDR I would've preferred to just knock someone out or threaten them to get them to run away only to inevitably murder everyone I saw. Will be nice to see how much you can avoid murder without lassoing everyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

VoLaTiLe posted:

Imagine if the reason Rockstar is so tight lipped about gameplay was because the game was a steaming turd. With Bethesda level bugs and a boring plot :v:

Maybe you're forgetting but RDR1 had Bethesda level bugs, and the plot was mostly 'Marston is repeatedly lied to by someone who says they will help him, Marston gets angry but keeps working with this person anyway, eventually through coincidence the plot advances and Marston moves on to a new area'. Almost every sidequest was 'Marston helps a random person, but whoops they died or failed anyway, no moral'.

The fact that it's still fun to play is a testament to how great the gameplay is, really :shobon:

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Zaa Boogie posted:

I'm at the moment replaying RDR on an XBonX for shits and giggles and this doesn't mesh with what I remember and what I'm currently playing.

Just off the top of my head:

Help the woman in Mexico escape the abusive pimp-> she dies anyway
Help the guy finish his flying machine-> he dies immediately
Help the Chinese rail worker get enough money to get home-> you find him shooting up later
Help the film director finish his movie-> his theater goes under anyway and he resents you
You help a pregnant lady get money from the man who knocked her up-> she wasn't pregnant and didn't even know him, you just killed a man and ruined his family's life for no reason
You help the lady from the intro who needs medicine in the wilds-> the medicine doesn't help because she's already gone crazy from exposure

By the end of it I started to dread completing some of these knowing the bleakest possible outcome was also the most likely, but I pressed on, knowing that a new outfit waited for me.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

DogonCrook posted:

I mean when i insert myself into everyones business intent on solving all their problems with a gun i expect nothing but good outcomes personally.

Half of those outcomes had literally nothing to do with you shooting people, it was just 'lol they died why did you even try to help, owned bitch'.

Which I realize is kind of the running joke in every Rockstar game since GTAIV but it happens so much in RDR1 that when some guy I helped walks away not dead or having his life ruined it really threw me for a loop. In retrospect it's kinda funny that the DLC where zombies come and kill off most of civilization ends up being the more optimistic, lighthearted story.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

WarpDogs posted:

Yeah, exactly. It has nothing to do with wanting a rosy ending or trying to play a good guy in an outlaw game. Subverting expectations becomes a predictable device in itself if you use it enough times. I have the same complaint with a lot of ASOIAF's writing

I think GTA5 did a fair enough job at mixing it up so hopefully that trend continues

Yeah the fact that they've added a bunch of nonviolent interactions you can have with random NPCs (as well as less-than-lethal stuff like threatening them into giving up) makes me optimistic.

Do we know when reviews will start hitting?

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

I liked Mexico because all the little pueblo buildings and churches were a nice aesthetic compared to the American saloons/etc. Also had the best outfit and hearing Marston greet passerbys in broken Spanish was great.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

What I liked about the donkeys is that they were considerably slower than horses, so when I made one my default in Mexico I would fall waaay behind everyone during the standard 'ride next to a guy who says exposition at you for five minutes' portion of every mission. Sometimes this would cause them to fail, other times they just waited for me to catch up. It was absolutely hilarious and I hope there's similar bae choices to be made in RDR2.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

No Mods No Masters posted:

Imagine being that bad at managing your project, and also imagine having so much ego that you brag about it

The end result is gonna be a billion dollars either way why would they care mang

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

I hope they dont go too gratuitous the way prequels like to do, like have you offer an extremely well-to-do Irishman with a bright future his first ever taste of alcohol then go "what's the harm in having one drink?" then turn and wink to the camera

EDIT: on second thought I do want that, and also hope they do that lazy sequel thing where they mess up something really basic, like they make Bonnie six years old and they put the scars on the wrong side of Marston's face

Wolfsheim fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Oct 23, 2018

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

CharlestonJew posted:

so will we be doing goon posses in this game? the first few weeks of GTA Online with goons were amazing so if that's what we're doing sign me up

I'm gonna do that thing I do where I join whatever variation of goonsquad exists for the week I putter around in the online mode then check back six months later to find the dozen guys who stuck with it are 100+ levels ahead of me and doing some kind of complicated grind to buy the latest expensive toy and don't have time for my Level 8 rear end still running carjacking missions for Simeon.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

The wolf's "wait what" look as he misses you :discourse:

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

bloodysabbath posted:

This is a great resetera copy paste, link to the thread please?

Seriously though, GTA has taken the piss out of everyone. The game you’re describing is the Postal series. Rookie mistake.

E: New Bully would be goddamn ace.

Rockstar games are absolutely terrible about a lot of things like female characters; I think there's literally one named female in GTAV that isn't a crazy screaming harpy, nagging bitch or a stripper, and the two that are in RDR1 are both hopelessly in love with some guy that doesn't like them back and have to be rescued over and over again. Like, I know you could say they parody everyone but usually there's at least a few calm, cool collected male characters who are just your generally likable badass protagonist or straight-man.

It's not enough to hinder my enjoyment but I could see a lady playing it roll her eyes as we're introduced to 'screaming unlikable bitch #4'. That could also not be the case in RDR2 as the reviews suggest it's a bit more thoughtful and expansive than its predecessors but we'll see :shrug:

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

First the XBOX ONE X knocks it out of the park with GOTY State of Decay 2 and now a slightly better framerate or something on RDR2. Microsoft is back baby awhooo

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Hentai Jihadist posted:

I really didn't like Franklin because of how the game treated his aunt, who was just kinda like "lol what a bitch amirite?" when... she really wasnt, made it seem like thats just how franklin saw her which made him a huge rear end in a top hat imo

from what i remember the wife in RDR1 is actually the only good character in the game (might be misremebering from her stuff in the zombie dlc) so its not like they can't write decent women.

I've actually been replaying GTAV to hype myself for RDR2 and no, Franklin's aunt is absolutely terrible. She screams at him about being a freeloader constantly (despite the fact that he owns half the house, yells at him for leaving his room while she's on the phone, and says he'll always be trash because his dead mother was trash.

It's been longer since I played RDR1 but I recall Marston's wife just being angry at him the entire time despite him having no choice in her whole kidnapping/ransom and doing everything he could to save her.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Okay so I made it past the intro and am in dicking around mode. For anyone who hasn't already, start the first stranger quest in the small Valentine saloon to get the camera. I didn't think this game had any real gameplay surprises waiting after I read all the reviews and prerelease announcements but old-timey selfies genuinely made me laugh out loud. Some general reactions:

-Combat and movement is as slow and clunky as ever, but it kinda feels right for this slow burn tale of western betrayal.
-The camp ensemble is really nice. The fact that you can upgrade only one specific tent other than Arthur's has me all :tinfoil: given how the last game ended.
-The much-hyped dialogue system is basically just the quips from RDR1 and GTAV, just with the ability to choose between nice and a dick. It's even pretty shallow with camp members thus far, though that may change later on.
-Speaking of the dialogue system, unless I'm messing it up somehow holding down the 'aim weapon' button starts firing. Sorry, random guard I was trying to let live :saddowns:
-I can't tell what donating to the camp actually does? They made it sound important but its unclear if it's worth actually prioritizing over self-upgrades.
-The horse inventory is obtuse and confusing and someone should figure out how it works then stick it in the OP somewhere. I think I can only change weapons at a horse or a gun store, but only my horse. I also can't tell how to switch horses or if stealing or finding a random horse means I can keep it. What the gently caress is up with horses, basically.
-Third person outside, first person inside when navigating cramped interiors and rifling through cupboards for baked beans. This is canon .

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Hobo Clown posted:

Controls aren't super intuitive and it can be confusing trying to do the specific thing the game wants me to do. I just did the train robbery mission, and at the end there's 3 banker dudes that you can choose to spare or kill. I was going to let them live, but one guy won't get on the train. A prompt comes up that says "press R2 to aim your weapon", and as soon as I press R2 Arthur shoots the poor guy in the stomach, and then another prompt comes up warning me about how my actions affect my honor and how people react to me. Sorry dude!

This exact same thing happened to me except I hit him in the leg. I was hoping this would frighten him into compliance but then he tried to run and I had to shoot him in the back :(

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Parkingtigers posted:

There are a lot of missions with either long walking sections, and/or very long rides to get there. The slow pace at the start... expect that to continue through most of the game. It really doesn't change. I think the map might be too big. The content feels far too spread out, though the streamer wasn't bothering with anything other than travelling from point A to point B to get to the next story mission.

I was incredibly underwhelmed, but I also thought RDR had a poor story (with great missions) as most of the plot happened off screen. That story now looks like it was written by Shakespeare and directed by Spielberg by comparison to this one. But I put 300 hours into the game for the gameplay and the freeroam. Hopefully RDR2's online will be more like RDR than GTAO, in which case I'll be happy.

Maybe you forgot a lot but RDR1's structure was absolutely 'ride somewhere with a guy or guys for a few minutes then do the mission' for like 90% of it.

But :laffo: that you basically watched someone do a speedrun of a 60-hour open-world game built entirely around roaming around and doing things slowly in one day and feel like it didn't hold up

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

fargom posted:

Anyone playing this on the regular old PS4? How does it hold up, am I going to be mistaking my PS4 for a jet engine shortly after starting?

Mine hasn't had any issues thus far, playing digitally and not from a disc if that matters to you. Load times aren't even absurd like GTAV's which was surprising.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

I can't speak to the rest of the systems working well (I'm already annoyed by the horse weapon selection thing) I actually really like the methodical way Morgan lumbers around greeting townsfolk as he goes and everything is just kinda slow and deliberate. But as I was doing it I had a vision of the future and playing Red Dead Online where the entire town is just people dressed in the most expensive clothes possible running to and fro from the saloon to their horse because they're grinding some exploit to level up because its 6% faster than playing missions normally and I went ahh, that's right, this will be terrible soon.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Man I really enjoyed the camp scene after the mid-Chapter 2 Blackwater mission to rescue Sean. I love that's it's not even a cutscene, just a big party at the camp that you can stumble around, dancing and singing and chatting as everyone goes about it. It was actually touching and shows what is probably the strongest writing and characterization R* has ever done.

Also, did anyone keep the big black horse instead of selling it during that early Hosea mission to unlock the stables? I did it just to see the variety of horses they had but having seen one since. I like the idea of riding a big fuckoff horse that towers over everyone else's, even if it's a little slower or something.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Slanderer posted:

I feel like I'm missing something--I keep failing to get "Complete the mission without using any health items". Do I auto-use items or something??

I think it counts food as a health item, but even then I feel like I've failed this one just by getting close to death and then having health regen kick in. The time limit one also kills me, because even with my horse going full sprint some of them seem borderline impossible (unless you get super sprinty horses later on and are meant to replay these, I guess).

And since no one reads the last post on a page:

Wolfsheim posted:

Also, did anyone keep the big black horse instead of selling it during that early Hosea mission to unlock the stables? I did it just to see the variety of horses they had but having seen one since. I like the idea of riding a big fuckoff horse that towers over everyone else's, even if it's a little slower or something.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Calaveron posted:

So Arthur dislikes John, Bill, Sean, only likes Lenny, seems to be regular with Javier, who does this guy like and why’s he always THE GANG THE GANG

He likes Charles, Hosea and all of the womenfolk! And hes definitely right in hating Micah, guy can gently caress off.

I was watching my roommate play the early parts of this game (a little behind me, I'm nearing the end if Chapter 2 but loving around a lot) and hes going into town unaware that the 'everyone hangs out in the saloon then starts a fistfight' mission was waiting for him then accidentally starts a gunfight when he trips a guy trying to walk to the gunsmith. I assumed he would die when a million townsfolk and lawmen descended on him but the nearby gang came out and actually helped him, and within a few minutes they had literally saved him by killing all of the cops. Of course more showed up and he died because he can barely shoot right but it was cool to see that the friendly AI for gang members is active outside of missions as well.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

I don't even know why I pretend I'm gonna do the fishing minigame. Just like FFXV, Nier Automata and the Legend of Zelda, I always get bored after five minutes.

Also, is there any benefit to swapping out your horse's tack other than looking fancy? The only thing that seemed to change the stats was the stirrups but this game is opaque enough that maybe it turns out having the right blanket makes your dead eye increase faster or some poo poo.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

I was impressed that, when I kidnapped the KKK leader after shooting a bunch of his followers, a few people I passed didn't actually report me for kidnapping (because, you know, gently caress the klan). It may have been a fluke though because the deeper I got into the mountains the more I started getting dinged by witnesses to a kidnapping until eventually the law showed up and demanded I surrender.

Long story short, klan sympathizers get the same treatment as klan and now I have a bounty so big I can't go back there anytime soon. I was hoping to use the klan leader as legendary bear bait but he got shot in the ensuing gunfight and bled out all over my horse, so I unceremoniously dumped his body off a cliff in the mountains :patriot:

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Hobo Clown posted:

This was the only duel I managed to disarm someone. After he lands he says "THIS ONE WON'T MISS" and pulls out a sawed-off

Whoa, you can actually disarm those guys? I'm so bad at dueling it's a miracle when I hit them, wonder if you can get any of them to survive the encounter...

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

il serpente cosmico posted:

Is there a way to uninstall the RDR2 preorder bonuses on PS4 without uninstalling the game? I redeemed and downloaded them without really thinking about it, and it looks like they're automatically applied to your game. I usually prefer to play with this type of stuff disabled, since they tend to make games a bit easier since they aren't balanced for them.

Don't they only add a couple free starter guns and horses? Other than the volcanic pistol being clearly better than the starting revolver it's not exactly a bunch of huge advantages.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Slim Killington posted:

Oh no I mean whether you straight-up shoot them or don't, the outcome is the same. They'll just kill themselves or lock you in combat until you shoot them outside the duel. There's no not killing them.

They all have weird little touches, like with Flaco Hernandez if you threaten his posse they'll stand down, and if you kill Flaco in the duel they'll flee, but if you disarm Flaco he'll pull out a sawed-off and then they'll help him out and start shooting, but as soon as he's dead (in my case I bull rushed him with the knife and stabbed him) they get scared and flee anyway.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

I'm at the part where you can't pull a weapon in Rhodes for ~reasons~ but a surly old Lemoyne raider under a tree started yelling insults and eventually pulled a knife on me. I was forced to beat him down with only my fists, but it was kinda funny.

Also, I have a $175 Rhodes bounty from robbing the gunsmith during Chapter 2 that is being completely ignored as far as I can tell, which makes sense during Chapter 3 but I wonder if its gonna turn back on at an extremely inopportune time or something.

Also I might be lucky because I have yet to experience anyone disappearing from camp yet, and a certain Chapter 3 cosmetic item has persisted through multiple outfit changes.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

I spoke too soon, in Chapter 3 I lost my beautiful sheriff star on the very next story mission I did, the one selling the moonshine with Hosea:negative:

My huge bounty is definitely causing some weird Chapter 3 issues too, I came across some Lemoyne raiders robbing people, threw dynamite at them, the explosion killed their horses, which made one of the people getting robbed report me for animal cruelty, causing the law to show up and fight me like 100 feet from the town border of Rhodes. I tried to run into town to see how the game would handle it but they shot me down before I could get there.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

ChocNitty posted:

Is anyone else sensing a lot of very subtle movie and cultural references in the game? Either that or they’re just subconscious influences that the writers had.

Parts of the Chapter 1 train robbery are nearly word for word taken from similar scene in Butch Cassidy & the Sundance Kid, so yes. I'm not even a western guy but some of it is pretty overt.

A Sometimes Food posted:

Can you not do things with rare weapons at the gunsmith? I just acquired a rare shotgun and it isn't in the menu.

You cannot, I got a rare rolling block rifle and same deal. Which is lame since of course I'm gonna use the slightly better version, only now I can't trick it out with gold inlays. At the very least I wish you could sell old guns, since I know I'm never gonna use my carbine repeater or cattleman revolver ever again, for example.

Also, speaking of guns guns GUNS, is the double-action revolver you get from that GTAO challenge the same one you can just find or buy yourself in Chapter 3 and onward, or is it special/different in some way?

Wolfsheim fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Nov 4, 2018

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

I laughed out loud at the conclusion of the Chapter 3 Rhodes stranger quest to help that guy reclaim his lost heirlooms only to discover he was a slaveholder. When I decided to drag him behind my horse until he died the game gave me honor for it:patriot:

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

big trivia FAIL posted:

I've just been catching legendary fish all day. 9 down, 4 to go.

How the gently caress are there nine legendary fish and what could they possibly do

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

You peeps languishing in Chapter 2 are essentially missing out on at least like six different gameplay mechanics :laffo:

Fencing horses, robbing carriages, fishing supplies, molotovs, hell I'm near the end of Chapter 3 and I haven't even unlocked blackjack yet.

I'm almost expecting to be hitting the post-game and getting the horseshoe minigame dropped on me.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Made it to Chapter 4 and still liking this game but as the story drags on the less consistent it feels. Not just gameplay mechanics like honor (literally no video game has ever done a karma system right) but the plot itself.

Like, it absolutely makes sense at the very beginning that when you've just escaped certain death and are scraping to get by and doing detestable things like Strauss' debt collection quests, but even by the end of Chapter 2 you will be rolling in it, pulling $1000+ scores and pocketing hundreds yourself making beating down farmers for $20 seem pointless and contrived. It's especially dumb when you go straight from a debt collection quest to one of the many random "sure let me help this stranger and possibly use my own money to do it" type quests. It would make sense if they were optional, but the most egregious one is mandatory and feels like it's only there to be like "whoa, maybe Arthur isn't such a good guy, the duality of man??" and it falls kinda flat.

Also speaking of money, this game needs some kinda money sink. Even after paying off around $600 in bounties and tricking out my horses and guns I have over $3k left over with nothing to spend on it. It's like they saw the GTAV criticism that it's not fun being too poor to buy anything expensive until the last 5% of the game and over-corrected by throwing too much money at you from the get-go.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Qubee posted:

also, robbing farmers for $20 will never not be amusing to me. I just like being a oval office, so maybe we both want two different things out of the game.

I get it because open-world appeal is very much the rear end in a top hat simulator part, but the debt stuff feels really incongruous. Like, the game is about Arthur Morgan, plucky outlaw who helps his friends and will kill people out of necessity but who is otherwise not a psychopath. You can instead gently caress off and tie an entire town to railroad tracks and burn their horses to death, but this is either outright ignored by the plot a la acting evil in RDR1 or hand waved away as Arthur having random psychotic breaks running contrary to his normal personality. Unless the journal/etc changes when you go full evil?

I dunno, it just feels weird and incongruous. I actually think GTAV's plot holds together a little better because they go out of their way to add in a character that is literally 'random wacky violence man' instead of just letting the player moonlight as one in between good-natured fishing trips and being too much of a gentleman to bang whores.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Zaa Boogie posted:

Oh, hey, so I finally figured it out. When you study an animal is what makes it's main stomping grounds show up on the map.

It feels kind of weird to say that GTAV's plot holds together better just due to one character considering you can make any of the three go on a rampage with bazookas and such.

Ehh, it's more like the game accounts for acting like a psycho by adding missions and a character based around it, versus it being a thing you do when you get bored with the story. Admittedly this is a problem in a lot of Rockstar games like GTAIV, San Andreas and the first RDR (though someone floated the theory that Jack turned out bad and hes the one robbing and killing indiscriminately, which I kinda like). I guess it feels more pronounced this time because of how much work went into making RDR2 feel so authentic otherwise.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

esperterra posted:

Hell I'd deadass be down for a hella early set game where you are playing as Dutch himself tbh

but the galaxy brain option is clearly a game where you play as susan grimshaw

oh poo poo or hosea!!!

Its set twenty years earlier but you still play as preteen Arthur

Surprise, it's a stealth Bully prequel

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Zaphod42 posted:

Night time passes faster than day time does. Its weird but its definitely intentional and actually works kinda well, especially if you don't time it and realize. There may be other exceptions for missions or something.

Sometimes missions will speed up or slow down time or fit the tempo too. I start a lot of missions at night because it looks cool and then by the time you get through the mandatory 'ride with someone and talk for awhile' bit oops, it's already noon.

It was especially egregious in a Lenny mission in Chapter 3 where it went from midnight to late noon in about one minute. Or conversely, if you start the legendary bear mission with Hosea at night time will stand still until its time to setup camp on the other side of the map.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Slim Killington posted:

It's going to be rough for the first year, then amazing for the second year, then eventually terrible garbage in year three when they put in rocket trains and laser pistols and horse-mounted gatling guns to keep people playing it. If GTAO is any indicator, that is.

It was pretty jarring but also hilarious when I logged back into GTAO last month for the sole purpose of unlocking the RDR2 weapons and jumped into a mission and everyone but me immediately jumped onto their rocket bikes and flying Deloreans and just destroyed the target effortlessly in like a minute while I just watched.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Wait, you can choose a starting weight? I watched a few streamers yesterday to see if this would be a total shitshow and the only ones playing girls were Japanese guys playing rail-thin blonde waifus aaaand ok yeah I see the problem now