Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Jibo posted:

No bounty for beating a dude peddling eugenics pamphlets in the middle of a busy street. As it should be.

No bounty for blowing his head clean off with a sawed off shotgun either. In fact I said "good day mister!" to the constable that was standing in the doorway just to his left. All is right with the world. But bumping into someone on the street on foot instantly escalates into a 7 on 1 fistfight that I have to shoot my way out of, leading to my horse dying, leading to a $500 bounty in Lemoyne, leading to me surrendering to bounty hunters because they caught me fishing, leading to Hosea breaking me out of jail, leading to me bumping into someone on the street again and Hosea shooting two lawmen dead before I could surrender.

In conclusion, Red Dead Redemption 2 is a game on contrasts.

Solice Kirsk fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Oct 31, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

JBP posted:

I don't think I've picked up a a single fancy gun. I bought my Schofields and rifles then had them customised to my taste. I got a long rifle as a gift I think. These are my guns I don't need no lost and found.

e: if you haven't used them or don't have them yet, get yourself a hatchet or a tomahawk.

Pirate sword all the way.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

This bounty system sucks. All I did was strap a rotting Border Collie dog to my horse, put on a cat skull mask, and shot every single human being I encountered in the face with exploding shotgun ammunition and now the drat game is telling me a cant take carriage to Valentine.
:wtf:

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

So I was able to crack a safe by doing a mini game once during a story mission, but now I have to use dynamite every time I encounter one in the wild? Did I miss how to bring up the crack prompt or something?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Just finished up Chapter 4 and I think John was a way better character and I liked RDR1 more. Still a fun game, but even with all the new stuff they included it just doesn't have the same feel the original had. I might just blast through the rest of the story missions to get to the end game.

End game guess: I'm guessing we're gonna be playing as Sadie once Arthur inevitably dies right?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I barricaded myself in the Valentine sheriff's office and killed more than 60 people almost completely blocking the doorway. They were stacked up like cord wood. Had to dynamite them out of the way and shot everyone I saw in the face with a shotgun as I rode out of town. This all started because a guy bumped into me as I was walking into the bar and told me to get out of the way.

So obviously I rode to Strawberry, bought a couple of outfits, and then punched the shop keeper so all would be forgiven.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I'm a bit into Chapter 6 and I'm getting extremely fed up with all my weapons disappearing/unequipping anytime I get on or off a horse. Story is starting to pick up again and seeing Dutch become more like RDR1 is getting interesting.

Are there any stranger missions that you can miss out on if you just plow forward and finish the game, or is it like RDR1 where you can just do all of them once the game itself is done?

edit:
And why the hell did they get rid of the LeMat?! It was the best gun in the first game and sounded the best.

Solice Kirsk fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Nov 15, 2018

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I really can't get over how great this terrible game is. Like, can you imagine how fun it would be with a functional inventory system and good controls? Seems like they put the clunkiness in there on purpose to make sure everyone didn't quit their jobs to keep playing this.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Playing a terrible human being was super fun, but it also means I was getting into waaaaay more shootouts and was having to fight waaaaaaay more bounty hunters. One of my buddies was telling me last night that he felt terrible because the horse he had since the beginning of the game died and he looked at me like I was a horrible monster when I told him I've lost probably a dozen over the course of the game.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Ainsley McTree posted:

I don’t think I ever noticed a gun disappearing. Varmint ammo, yeah, constantly, but I never lost a gun

I've had to rebuy the Litchfield basically anytime I make the mistake of having it equipped when I start a mission. Every once in a blue moon it will come back if I switch out weapons on my horse before walking away, but once I walk away from my horse it's gone forever.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

So beat the game. I really did miss John. I liked his story better than Arthur's, but now that I'm playing as him again I kinda miss Arthur's drawl. I do have a question though. I never really bothered to spend much time in camp and just sort of talked to people when I wound up there dropping food off or changing clothes. Is there a lot of backstory and characterization that I missed out on or is it all just random hunting/robberies/fetch quests with a "Thanks Arthur!" at the end?

I saw two big parties and a few cowboy sing-a-longs. Did I miss a bunch more of those or anything?

Solice Kirsk fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Nov 24, 2018

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

theblackw0lf posted:

A lot of you probably already know this, but I didn’t. Arthur originally had another love interest

https://www.google.com/amp/s/segmentnext.com/2018/10/15/5-hours-red-dead-redemption-2-plot/amp/

Any guesses who it was? I wouldn’t be surprised if it was Charlotte.

This may be one of the most poorly written articles I've ever read.

On a side note, I looked up the other endings of the game and going back for the money is hands down the best one.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I think I liked RDR1 more. The characters were better, there were more variety, the scope felt bigger, and it felt more innovative for the time. RDR2 is pretty drat great, but when like 95% of the missions are all various gang related things and all the gang members are regular old outlaw characters I didn't think it was as interesting as hanging out with a snake oil salesman, or a Mexican revolutionary, or an aging gunslinger, or a grave robbing treasure hunter, or a duplicitous Bureau agent, or a doped out racist scientist.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

McCracAttack posted:

I had the same reaction. There's nothing stopping you from Skyrimming it up in the later chapters but tonally it just felt wrong given what was going on. It actually left me pretty bummed out and down on the game during that part.

As for the ending: I like how the epilog handles things and the game ends on a brighter note, despite knowing how John's story ends.

John's story was waaaay better than Arthur's. Both their voices are great though.

Ending stuff:
Also going back for the money is a way better ending than a fist fight on a mountain. Just a real lackluster way to end the game. Glad I picked it (and happened to pick it mostly because I wanted to see if there was a confrontation with Dutch.)

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

shut up blegum posted:

Finally finished the epilogues.
Kinda bummed that the game switched John back to his stupid cowboy outfit for the final cutscene. I spent quite some time picking out my perfect mountains-revenge outfit. Oh well.
Also lol that I suddenly have 20k. No idea what to spend that on.

All the clothes and bounties. Obviously.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

How are so many people not realizing they are two totally different hats? They're not at all similar besides being black. Jack wears his dad's hat in RDR1 though.

edit:
Also, double tapping L1 to spin your handgun into the holster is my new favorite thing.

Solice Kirsk fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Dec 23, 2018

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

KoRMaK posted:

This post is sending shockwaves through the community

I'm just glad to of been of service.
*tips hat

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

So long as I can toss on a skull mask, strap a rotting corpse to my horse, and ride full speed through St. Denis shooting every police officer in the face with twin Scofields I don't care if online exists at all.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I tackled an old lady instead of getting into my car on accident.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Arrgytehpirate posted:

Yes.

I started a new game. Doing compass only and first person only. My biggest complaint so far is how hard it is to tell if you’re in cover in first person. I’m also going evil this time since I was honorable the first go.

Evil all the way through makes the gang interactions in cutscenes seem very disjointed. John just punched me out for telling his kid he looked like an Escuella or a Williamson instead of a Marston, but then we're riding off together talking about how we need to look out for each other.

Did make the Mary Beth "I'm a craaaaaaazy man" conversations make more sense though.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Restarted the game and I'm gonna go through as super nice Arthur. I barely paid any attention to the camp my first play through, so I'm spending a lot of time there too. I'm almost done with Chapter 2 and gotta say, I don't feel like I missed much of anything skipping it to be honest. I'm already hearing repeats of stuff I heard in Chapter 4 just swinging in randomly and talking to people once in awhile. I am having a great time getting blasted drunk and complimenting everyone in the morning though.

Nice Guy Alcoholic Arthur is a pretty great dude.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

My brother in law just informed me the double tap L1 works for your throwing knives as well. Not at home to test it, but he's says you'll flip your knife.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

All of you had already messed up by not going back. End spoiler: telling John you're going back for the money and to finish things and to take care of his family, then screaming for them to come out and fight was a much better end despite it being the "bad" choice. Plus if you were a good guy you get to cut Micah's face all up and still get to watch the sunset.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Beginning of the game: See a guy talking poo poo decked out in furs and wearing a raccoon hat. Think to myself, "Christ what an rear end in a top hat"
100 hours later: Walk into a St. Denis saloon wearing a bear head and a panther cloak and get piss drunk and start arguing with the cocaine lady. Think to myself, "That dude knew what was up"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

So I started the game over again to take my time with the first couple chapters and just found Dutch's dramatic speech that he wrote for chapter 2. I liked how he wrote in the dramatic pauses and stuff and took out all his references to god.