Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

Doc M posted:

Yeah, when I had HDR on my options were basically a massively washed out image with no bright highlights whatsoever, or one that was way too bright in general. Great job, lads.

It's just fake HDR anyway, there were a few articles on it.

Loving the game itself so far but god drat I hate this antiquated control system. The sheer amount of contextual actions, combinations and button mashing is really silly. I get that buttons are a premium from a design perspective but then wasting a whole button for movement when the analog stick works perfectly well is bizarre. The cover system still loving sucks too.

I've encountered some oddities and bugs, interacting with the ledger is hit and miss and I had a whole mission break because I couldn't loot when the game required me to. Not a big deal though given the sheer achievement in simulation here.

quote:

So is the mask just 100% effective at avoiding bounties? Could I just put it on and go on a killing spree in town, or is there some limit to its powers?

I wore it to rob a train at one point and was pretty sure I still got a bounty afterwards, but I may have already had one.

No, people can recognize your clothes and horse too. I have a separate setup for crime and one for town for that reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

Hobo Clown posted:

Any tips on robbing the Valentine doctor's side business then? I changed into a brand new outfit out of sight, put on a full face mask (no one in town saw my face and my new clothes), and as soon as I started I had a wanted level and an increased bounty. The increased automatic bounty is also far and away higher than what you get from doing it, so I have no idea why that mission even exists.

I don't know, when I did that one it was a complete poo poo show from start to finish. I've done a few others and was just labeled "Wanted: Subject Unknown" though when I evade then change back.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe
Probably mentioned already but this bug with John/Abigail/Jack/Sadie disappearing from game hit me and gently caress its annoying. No banter, requests, etc, they are just gone from Chapter 2 entirely outside of story missions. According to Reddit the fix for now is to restart and do things in a specific order but gently caress that's a lot of lost time if I do it.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

The Fool posted:

I've resorted to taking screenshots of the strategy guide on my phone so I can look at it on my computer.

Each chapter has a very nice overview of how the chapter flows, and which missions unlock which activities and when they become available.

Chapter 2

Chapter 3

If people are interested I can post the later chapters as well.

In addition, the bank job in valentine is for the special edition, so if you don't have it and get a conversation about missing it, don't feel bad there is nothing you could have done.

Please do, these are fantastic.

quote:

poo poo, that must be what happened in my game. None of those people are in my camp unless it's for a story mission. Do those people pop up little side missions/item requests during chapter 2/3? Or do all they add is just little dialog around camp?

I'm still technically in chapter 2, but I've done a shitload of exploring and poo poo and I'm torn on whether I want to do all that again.

I don't know. I haven't seen any banter, item requests or other activities related to them since they disappeared. They do pop up for main story missions so you'll still learn how to fish for example but other stuff seems to be gone.

To me its a big bummer because the Marston VA is awesome and I assume there would be a fair amount of backstory stuff filled in with banter/etc in camp.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe
Is there a way I'm missing to save weapon loadouts on the horse? Or to stop the game from constantly loving switching what weapon is equipped or clearing the slots entirely? It is loving maddening, I swear I spend half of my game time in that god drat weapon wheel setting everything up because I remounted my horse and all of a sudden everything is swapped or it randomly goes back to the pistol instead of whatever I had equipped.

Also fun is when I go to draw a shot on my bow but suddenly the contextual menu is on "Aim Weapon" randomly even though I hadn't targeted a civilian and was hunting the whole time.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

Emron posted:

I got to chapter 3 in like two days of playing this game and haven't touched the story since, I want to get that legend satchel and nothing is gonna stop me.

Don't do it man. Once you obtain it you will never hunt or collect anything again haha. I went nuts doing everything to get the satchel and then promptly burned through the story after, nothing else in the game was fun anymore after 20 hours of satchel bullshit. I ruined it for myself, shame because I really enjoyed the hunting too.

I finally beat the game and I'm conflicted. The characterization is generally excellent, the story was solid and it's been awhile since a videogame made me feel something so strongly. On the other hand the gameplay is all over the loving map, the controls were absolutely awful and the pacing is really uneven. It's rare to play such a great game that controls so terribly, they really got in the way of enjoyment numerous times and Rockstars bizarre commitment to this obtuse control scheme is infuriating.

The games systems weren't very well thought out either, its a mishmash of half-realized implementations. The NPC interactions are so limited and none of the pre-release nonsense about long term consequences turned out to be true. You constantly see the same events play out (snake bites, etc). The camp system turns out to be meaningless. Cores were a half baked mechanic at best. The games rigid mission structures were totally at odds with the open world it wants you to love.

Anyways spent a ton of time with the game and I still enjoyed it. Just a shame that they clung so desperately to things that didn't work or weren't interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe
Who would else I speak for? The iguana is not bad at all, I got that done in about 5 minutes once I figured out where to go. The badger on the other hand is a loving nightmare, took me 2-3 hours.