Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

I got through that one by sniping one guard and the horses got spooked and pulled the cart a good half mile down the road at full speed. Jumped on when they stopped, no more guards in sight.

Similar outcome for me. I tried to go in stealthily at night, and a guard barked at me to get lost. I started to walk away but apparently not fast enough, so they went apeshit and started shooting. I ran up the hill, and after a couple minutes or so they gave up and went back inside. Noticed the cart icon down the road, and there it was just waiting for me. I don't think I even killed any of the guards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
Bummed a ride from some guy and rode around St Denis in his carriage for like 10 minutes just howdy-ing the gently caress out of the whole city. :clint:

He dropped me off, then no one else would stop and give me a ride. Got dinged for disturbing the peace after escalating with like 4 different drivers in front of a cop.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Orv posted:

Also systemic question; when you rob the back room of the doc in Valentine, will it actually care if you're standing in view of the door slit? I was by the grandfather clock and basically out of sight but the guy at the door said "It's just the doc" and that seems exactly like the sort of poo poo it'd pull.

It didn't matter for me, I was in full view of the door slit with my gun pointed at the docs head the whole time. I thought for sure they would see me.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Hihohe posted:

Speaking of the serial killer plot. Are there more pieces of the map? I got 1 and 2 but kinda looks like theres more

There's -three- total, they combine into a single map when you get them all.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
Does the mission always end up dark and raining when you wake up in the pit? That was hella atmospheric. Calmly walked back to the house and ventilated those wierdos. Stacked them up at the front door and threw a fire bottle inside on my way out. Made me wish that buildings could actually burn down.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Slim Killington posted:

Am I missing something or is there no way to pilot your horse AND shoot behind you or to your sides? You can't do both, your loving horse just stops if you stop pressing X or runs into poo poo if you keep pressing it, and you can't steer without seeing where you're going. There are too many "chased by guys on horseback" sequences for this to be so loving impossible to do.

The last few times I've had to do this, I've focused on aiming+shooting and the horse has continued down the path by itself. No steering or uh, giddyup input from me. Can't recall if it worked in normal open world encounters, but it definitely happens in missions.

e; Maybe I was still holding A, not sure.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
Is there something like the Survivalist Maps in the previous game for locating herbs/plants? The only plants I've picked up so far in like 20+ hours of playing have been by sheer luck of me walking past them to get the button prompt. Do they have locations in the compendium after you find them the first time?

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
I did (minor Ch4 side mission spoiler) Mary Linton's second encounter and hadn't bathed in a while. It showed. She even commented on it at one point. Still tried and failed to make a move. :clint: My face and arms were basically visibly caked in dirt.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Empress Brosephine posted:

Oh I must’ve not placed it together thanks

Had no idea of that particular late-game development until well after that early side mission, but as soon as that guy coughed bloodily directly into Arthur's face, I went "welp, guess I have TB now." The first ominous cough in like Ch.4 made me real sad.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Robo Turnus posted:

When i read in the compendium that there were retrievers in this game i couldn't wait to train my loyal dog to go huntin with me. And you can't. What a crushing oversight.

I wonder if this was ever on the table and was scrapped for some reason. I mean, the couple hunting missions late in the first game have you teaching Jack how to hunt by following the dog.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
Watched credits for what felt like an eternity, drat them for peppering tidbits about the story throughout. Is there a recap of everything that you see somewhere? e; Found a video.

What a rough ending. This morning I found myself humming the song that plays when you ride back to Beecher's Hope in RDR1.

I really think they one-upped John with Arthur as characters. I spent the last 8 years pining for a post game with John, and here they give it to you while simultaneously giving it the same feeling as before with losing the better character.

sirbeefalot fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Nov 19, 2018

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
I've had mostly no problems with the slow/unresponsive controls throughout the game, but when they gently caress you up it's really glaring. Tried to enter dead-eye to shotgun the legendary cougar and it just didn't work. Had the shotgun out, aiming at him, and clicked the right stick when he was still 50 feet away, nothing. And again. And a third time. So of course I get mauled to death and then he's gone for a while when I try to go back to the spot. :jerkbag:

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Hobo Clown posted:

Some of this stuff can really be a bummer and I wish more missions had "honorable" decisions to make. Like I guess the game assumes that a white hat would just not do these missions, which is fair, but I don't like the idea of locking myself out of content (especially stuff that's required for trophies). At this point Arthur is swimming in money so give me the option to pay off the debt myself to help these people out or something.

Later Strauss missions give you an option to absolve the debt as an honorable option. Maybe only if you're high honor, dunno.

I found that cabin just by chance before the mission, and shot the dad. Felt so bad after hearing the kid bawling that I reloaded a save. :(

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
[postgame] I haven't explored it super thoroughly yet, but New Austin sadly feels incredibly empty in comparison to the areas involved in the story. I get that you're not really supposed to have been through there much until the events of RDR1, but there's hardly anybody in the entire state. It's there mostly for multiplayer (and a little bit of nostalgia), I get it, but I was especially bummed that they effectively closed out most of Armadillo in particular with some contrivance. It's a little neat to see Tumbleweed as a barely-holding-on settlement rather than a gang hideout, though.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Manatee Cannon posted:

and about the post game, I'm blown away that they actually bothered to make all the stranger quests doable as john. figured they'd just be locked out once I started the epilogue

I like that it's explained as Arthur gave John his journal, and that's how he knows about all of these unfinished things.

Manatee Cannon posted:

also make sure to visit mary-beth, tilly, and pearson if you haven't

Oh, that's cool. I was hoping that would be possible.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

lets hang out posted:

also all the alligators just for being in the way

Me, every time I shoot a 3 star gator. All other gators in the vicinity get a bullet to the head just so they don't decide to gently caress with me during the lengthy skinning sequence.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
Got bushwacked in St. Denis, and the fuckers took like $1,300 (I think it's a percentage of your total?), and from what I can find online there's not really a way to get it back from them. Do these guys ever show up again? They were next to or across from the gun shop, and persuaded me down an alley before pistol whipping me and leaving me in the cemetery later.

Don't really need the money, just want to remove their heads with a slug if I get the chance. :clint:

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
I love the way they managed to squeeze so many different environments into the map, making it feel way larger than it really is. The visual difference between Calumet Ravine (Red Rocks type landscape with uniquely colored water) and the areas immediately south and east (more typical gray granite with darker blue waters) is super striking, and only actually separated by a ridge or two. Makes it feel like an entirely different region. This is probably even more apparent going from St. Denis/Bayou Nwa up the east coast to Van Horn. Subtle but fast transition from sweaty, dank swamp land to bone chilling damp/cold of the northeast. Like, the fog feels different somehow.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

The Legendary Gator is a real bastard. First time I hunted him I got off 4 shots from the Rare Rolling Block rifle into his thick skull before he ate me.

Legendary pelts don't degrade, so just tag them in the dome with a full clip of shotgun slugs in Dead Eye. I made the grizzly do a backflip!

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Ainsley McTree posted:

Work, ya dang nag!

This reminds me that, just like in the first game, the post-game player character (in this case John) has way worse soundbites/lines in lots of ways, both with the horse and with strangers you greet.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

shut up blegum posted:

You can still do stranger missions after you finish the game right?

With a few exceptions (like 3 out of ~22), yes.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

shut up blegum posted:

Oh yeah, I was gonna ask the same thing. Followed him to his cave, it was really dark and I heard scary noises so I threw some dynamite in there. Half of him got blown away. And then when I wanted to pick up his journal it bugged out. Would like to read it but I suppose there's nothing really special in there?

And something else I just thought about. The painting Charles what's his name gave me. So I need to do anything special with that or something? Spoilers from his mission arc He already wrote me saying he was a big time artist now on some far away island and that the drawing he gave me suddenly became valuable.

Wolf guy's journal talks about how he has daddy issues and ran away, can't remember specifics. He found the two wolves that are with him when they were pups. Normally if he's alive and you pick up the journal, he attacks you.

I also kept the painting/drawing from Charles, and the value is the same even post-game. Thinking its just flavor text.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
2 of them are fairly obviously meant to be started before the end of the main story as part of Arthur's redemption. Two are in St Denis: "Help a Brother Out" with the monk, and "Fundraiser" with a lady sitting on the sidewalk looking for donations. The third is "The Widow of Willard's Rest" at the top right corner of the map. With the widow, I did the two encounters as Arthur, but didn't take anything from her house at the end of it (she tells you to take whatever you need). Returning as John, there's a whole little cutscene and I was able to loot the house still.

At least some of the others that can be completed in the post game are restarted if you're part way through them when you finish the main game.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Hobo Clown posted:

Endgame free roam: Was wandering the desert near Tumbleweed and saw a large wooden house in the distance. As I ride in close it blows up. Massive loving explosion. Horse nearly bucks me off she's so startled. No one else around, no corpses in the wreckage. Only searchable item anywhere in the vicinity is a loot box with some revolver ammo in it. Game offers no explanation and John doesn't even bother to mention it in his journal. Just another day in the Old West, I guess!

They were brewing moonshine and it blew up, you can see the still in the wreckage. I thought I remembered seeing a toasty corpse as well, might be mistaken though.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
I've had a weird bug/feature in online where, if I load into free roam in a given area, ride to a different state and do a stranger mission or two, everyone else (real players) disappears from the map. Is this a known thing? Its been kinda nice for just loving around honestly, though doing anything that activates matchmaking resets it and drops you back into free roam after with other people. Also oh my god Dispatch Rider or whatever is a huge clusterfuck. I managed to get on the horse, even if it was for all of 3 seconds.

Still not totally convinced that I'll continue online. I don't usually maintain an XBL subscription (or play online games in general), but bought a month for a dollar with the recent promo. The economy is just ridiculous in contrast to single player. Spent almost the entirety of my 30 free gold putting a couple upgrades on a bolt action and pump shotgun. Every time I complete a mission and get like... 0.06 gold it just kind of saps any desire to keep playing. At least bullets seem to be pretty cheap.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

I said come in! posted:

I really want to do open world PvE, this does exist in free roam, but the key locations are not marked on the map making finding them time consuming. I don't get why Rockstar did it this way because in RDR1 the bandit hideouts were marked on the map.

The random bandit camps are one of the things I like about online, and wish those were in single player. This is one of the things that bugs me the most about the online model, where there's content that could easily be duplicated in single player but is seemingly gated to online to keep you coming back (and ultimately spending real money).

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Timeless Appeal posted:

The bounty hunter stuff is a design choice. They wanted to make every moment feel bespoke. For example, when I captured the leader of the Lemoyne Raiders, I stumbled onto him being hanged in St. Denis a few days later, and had a conversation with the executioner about Southerners not giving up on the past. It's like taking what's cool about the moments from the first game like when you pull the bounties down from the wall, and trying to capture that feeling in every moment. It's not about keeping me in single player.

But honestly, I think the reaction to Red Dead 2 has revealed a lot of the issues of how we discuss games in general. Like, Rockstar used GTA Online money to not just create a game that has these bespoke moments, but a game that pushes back on the genre norms. It's a game where you shoot people, but from a design perspective tries to not be about shooting people. It was Rockstar pushing on the edges of where they can go in the genre.

Yeah, Rockstar and Take Two have spent five years milking thirteen year olds for all they're worth, but they put that money into not just making a great game, but taking risks on that game.

Single player is undeniably full of serious effort and is not just a shallow time filler to keep everyone busy until online was ready, that should be obvious. At the same time these imposed limits to bite size missions like bounties and stagecoach robberies (especially the stagecoach robberies) don't actually have to be there. Whether or not it's a mechanism to push people into online is debatable, but when you get to the end of the short line of [basic quest chain] and the giver just goes "welp, we're not doing that anymore" for seemingly no reason, it's annoying. Why shouldn't I be able to endlessly get tips on randomly placed stagecoaches forever if I wanted to? I think the answer is that they don't actually want you to play SP indefinitely.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Timeless Appeal posted:

Things aren't conspiracies. You just disagree with their design choice.

Definitely not claiming conspiracy, I think its clear that they want you to make up your own gameplay loops if you decide to just keep playing SP forever. They also want people to play online and spend money, obviously. The two examples of SP activities I gave just seemed like they wouldn't have been too difficult to just randomize after the handful of curated ones that we got.

Wolfsheim posted:

I...agree? Arguably I also don't see the merit of playing any game indefinitely, let alone to 100% but even for ones that are designed to be an indefinite time sink like GTAO and eventually RDO I don't see how anyone would put 100 hours in without getting bored long before then :shrug:

And honestly this is the truth. I will get bored after a while regardless of what there is to do in the world.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
I think my cigarette card quest is bugged. I bought a bunch of packs to fill out my collections, and mailed what I thought was all of the sets. All of them are checked off in the quest menu, except the last "Mailed all sets" checkbox. Every time I pick up one of the cards in the wild, it chimes and brings up the quest icon like I'm collecting it for the first time. I don't want to sit through buying dozens of packs of cigarettes again, and I've already picked up and sold a bunch of the cards that are placed around the map. Pretty sure I received rewards for all of them, but the quest being incomplete is annoying.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Hobo Clown posted:

We just not doing spoiler tags anymore?

DogonCrook's been posting without spoiler tags pretty much since the game came out, for what it's worth.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
Fishing Hunting "Hey Mister!" Simulator 2018 (includes minor side story elements)

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Braincloud posted:

loving hell. 3 million hours put into single player and I still can’t get a drat silver chain bracelet to spawn. Sold the first one before I knew and haven’t seen one since. :argh:

Hell, same.

Silver earring, too.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
Annoyed that I can't find a way to wear a vest without a shirt, to have my full Crocodile Dundee experience as I sulk around the bayou.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
As a native Pennsylvanian, the North Eastern corner of the map is very familiar. They did a great job of capturing multiple locales in each part of the map.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
Am I correct that it is possible to get a perfect pelt from anything using the bow and {regular, improved, small game, poison} arrows? Like, you can take down a deer with a rifle per the tip, but you can also take that deer down with an improved arrow to the dome and still get a perfect pelt. Does that hold true for all animals?

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Jerusalem posted:

A perfectly placed arrow should kill anything, and a poison arrow will absolutely kill anything and should leave you with a pristine skin (plus there is the amulet/talisman you can craft that improves your kills by a single star) - the bigger issue you'll have is with the really small animals where you'll need to use a small game arrow but it can be difficult to spot them/get the drop on them. In those cases I largely just used the varmint rifle and relied on the amulet to keep them perfect.

I was mostly annoyed at having to load out with certain gun types for hunting and inevitably running across something I wasn't equipped for. Nice to finally realize I can just take a bow and varmint rifle and be ready for anything (as long as I've got all the arrow types stocked up).

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
The dueling is great as a concept. It's absolutely something that should be possible whenever you want to do it. I don't have any issue with the first part, it feels very intentional slowly pressing the trigger to start some poo poo. It's the actual draw+fire that still confounds me, still feels like I'm just wildly aiming and button mashing and never quite pulling off a stylish headshot, or shooting the gun out of the other guy's hand. The last moment always feels off compared to the rest of it.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
There was a theory posted in here a while back that made the most sense to me. Basically Dutch was there in 1907 to kill Micah and in doing so commit suicide by gang. It was mentioned that he had recently shown up, and had not been with Micah for most of the intervening ~8 years. He would have likely been able to join the gang without trouble, but showed up with the intention of finally avenging Arthur for Dutch's own lovely decisions in the past, with the side effect of ending his own life as retribution. That all got thrown sideways when John showed up with Sadie, so he did part of what he came to do, but lost out on his "honorable" death (his plan failing once again) so just wandered off to eventually start up the gang seen in RDR1

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
The atmospheric effects really helped disguise the scale for me. The first time I ventured to Van Horn was from the bayou at night, and it changed from sweaty/dank southern bayou to cold/dank northeastern port town really subtly. Felt like I had traveled much farther than I had.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
I think you might have to start the Veteran quest chain (i.e. save him) as Arthur, but I definitely did the actual missions with him as John exclusively.