Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Houser is sooooo full of poo poo, not that that’s anything new. Retire bitch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

It's a collab of all the rockstar studios, including san diego where famous crunch drama arose with the first game, so probably not a good scene

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

This game not having mexico in it is a crying shame. Best part of the first game overall IMO

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

RatHat posted:

Is this confirmed?

There is a leaked map of the game that is highly likely to be accurate (people did detective work comparing it to areas shown in the trailers and everything matched up) and alas it doesn't include a mexico area.

edit: This. I'd imagine it's changed a little since this leak is actually pretty old, but probably not to the extent of having mexico

No Mods No Masters fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Oct 17, 2018

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Even by rockstar protagonist standards arthur doesn't seem very likable, so my starting position is 'hope he gets mauled by a bear'

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVRzx17WHVk

Original marston voice actor awkwardly trying to sound younger or someone doing a yikes impression? The world may never know

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

If GTA online is any indication, it will be an unholy abomination that is anathema to all life

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Let's include all of the old map except the part people liked the most - the kind of brilliant houser bro idea that only crunching for 100 hours a week can get you

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Imagine working on the story for a rockstar game for 14 hours a day, 7 days a week. Imagine needing to work on the story of a rockstar game for 14 hours a day, 7 days a week

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Imagine being that bad at managing your project, and also imagine having so much ego that you brag about it

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

The housers seem like complete scumbags and this game is likely to be good in spite of them. Retire bitches

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

shut up blegum posted:

Okay I guess, but surely you can just put on your resume 'horse testicle animator at Rockstar 2012-2015' without being mentioned in the credits?

Sure, it's just your word against rockstar (and rockstar barely bothers to conceal their hatred for 'leavers' even in their PR responses to the article)

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

The Fool posted:

Guy on a stream tried to free roam too early.

Don't click the link unless you want prologue spoilers.

Looks like a rockstar game. Who could have predicted this

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

CuddleCryptid posted:

Does anyone else have all of their varmint rifle ammunition just disappear all the time?

I've had this happen a few times as well, yes.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZvtdQL_r0o

GOTY

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I saw javier wanted to go fishing, went to buy bait, and the opportunity was gone never to be seen again when I returned. True Regret In Gaming

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Ultimately, arthur is too weary to gently caress

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I just beat this game and I need to complain a bit. Big spoilers. Man oh man was the epilogue some tedious and unnecessary prequel bow-tying bullshit. The script was badly in need of an editor in general- Guarma and the epilogue both should have obviously been cut.

Overall I think the Arthur/Dutch story was really well done, but it needed room to breathe at the end- trying to awkwardly shove Marston's story up to the second before RDR 1 on top of everything was just too much. Their storytelling really improved in this game and it's frustrating that they fell on their face at the last moment.

It's definitely a landmark game in any number of ways but they left me with a sour taste in my mouth at the end, whereas going into the Arthur finale I had mostly good things to say (other than that Guarma was a waste of time and resources).

No Mods No Masters fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Jan 13, 2023

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

No Mods No Masters posted:

I just beat this game and I need to complain a bit. Big spoilers. Man oh man was the epilogue some tedious and unnecessary prequel bow-tying bullshit. The script was badly in need of an editor in general- Guarma and the epilogue both should have obviously been cut.

Overall I think the Arthur/Dutch story was really well done, but it needed room to breathe at the end- trying to awkwardly shove Marston's story up to the second before RDR 1 on top of everything was just too much. Their storytelling really improved in this game and it's frustrating that they fell on their face at the last moment.

It's definitely a landmark game in any number of ways but they definitely left me with a sour taste in my mouth at the end, whereas going into the Arthur finale I had mostly good things to say (other than that Guarma was a waste of time and resources).

More big spoilers. Not coincidentally, the three returning characters that the game largely fails to develop or make more interesting are Uncle, Abigail, and Jack. Having these three annoying shallow characters be your constant companions through the epilogue served to make it more annoying and shallow.

There's just such a thing as short and sweet I guess. The epilogue of RDR1 is 1000 times more memorable, and it took like 15 minutes to complete and had .001% of the dialogue of this one.

No Mods No Masters fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Nov 2, 2018

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Slim Killington posted:

Honestly if you don't like chapter 5, or the epilogue, or the hell even the prologue, I kind of feel bad for you. This is a very beefy story-telling game and if you don't want to have to walk slow or listen to dialogue or ride a horse for a while on a trip then maybe you expected something different, but I got exactly what I wanted. Maybe it's from being raised on westerns for 30 years but this is the best game I think I've ever played. It has its faults yeah of course, but the stuff everyone hates on is just so enjoyable if you just slow the gently caress down and take it in.

I like slow, dialogue heavy stuff when it's developing the characters or advancing the themes of the story. Most of the game works and I like quite a bit for that reason. The prologue doesn't bother me at all. Whereas Chapter 5 has maybe a handful of moments of development for Dutch amidst like 2+ hours of shooting, and the epilogue has a totally discordant tone with the rest of the game, and adds basically nothing we didn't know already about Marston or the other characters who feature in it

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Even if you liked chapter 5 or the epilogue, I'm still highly dubious if you think that the massive resources spent on them couldn't have been better employed somewhere else in the project. I for one would have liked to see any substantial content whatsoever in the 75% of the RDR1 map that went unused, for example

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Rockstar shooting has been auto lock, tilt up, headshot, repeat since at least gta 4. Except for that time they made a max payne game where the shooting felt really good and then promptly never used any of those mechanics again

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I liked how un-romanticized san denis was, it felt very non-touristy compared to the usual way they do cities

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I'm pretty confident that those missions are locked to the specific chapter, but I don't have hard proof to back it up. Sorry for your loss

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

JBP posted:

gently caress I wish I hadn't gone to chapter six before choosing to explore. The loving trains don't work. You can't remove bounties. I just want to do poo poo as Arthur before he loving dies and I'm stuck with Marston the poo poo farmer

Yeah, in retrospect I wish I had made more manual saves. I really don't like (big spoilers) being dumb rear end Marston. I want to go back to free roaming as the character I like, yet neither am I willing to replay story content

I wonder what the best time for an Arthur free mode save is- either before he gets sick or before the San Denis bank job I guess?

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

The epilogue should have just not existed. If they had gone straight from (big spoilers) the end of the Arthur story to free roaming with Marston's ranch already built, with the mission to kill Micah discoverable a la the epilogue mission in the first game, it actually would have been way better. They went out of their way to make an entire 6+ hour mini-campaign of boring missions that served only to make the game worse :bravo:

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Dapper_Swindler posted:

so can you free roam in the post game?

Yes, but only after doing some missions in the "epilogue campaign". There are some asterisks related to your pre-epilogue money and equipment as well.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

The post-game issue people are complaining about is ultimately going to come down to taste. Even stating what the taste issue is is fairly spoilery unfortunately.

Personally I would advise making manual saves generously as you get later in the game.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I have some postgame questions, if anyone answer them. There are big spoilers so I'll use spoiler tags.

Anyone know what determines the beatitude you get on Arthur's grave? I got 'blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness' and I saw another in a youtube vid. I would assume it changes with the ending you get, but I wonder if you can get all 8.

Can you still craft the satchel upgrades somewhere as Marston? My first thought was to try Pearson but it seems he's just a normal shopkeeper postgame.

Also, are there any Marston specific stranger missions hidden anywhere? Would save me an aimless ride around the map, thanks.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

The game is dead set on loving with your loadout constantly, there's no use resisting. Might as well just make your peace w/ it

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Spent a few hours this evening trying to do generic open world stuff in the postgame and got really aggravated. Tried about 10 times to get the legendary bullgator to spawn, only to get a vague warning that there's too much activity for it to appear ad nauseum.

Things work well enough when the story is there to hold your attention, but this game is way too far up its own rear end in a top hat to be a fun open world gently caress around game when it's through I think. It's actually a step back from the first game in that regard which is really telling.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

DogonCrook posted:

I mean thats as intentional as in gtav they dont want you loving around in single player like theres no radiant quests like bounty hunting. They give you all the money so you can buy anything. They want to punt you into online where they have some shot of you using your credit card again. What they are doing is blatent as hell but was totally expected. These mechanics are not to enhance the single player expeirince its so when you hit online you can barely hold your head above water against homing tomahawks and dynamite arrows (both in game already) with your frail malnourished rear end cutting bullets one by one to have a shot a dropping someone lol

Pretty depressing but you're probably right. GTA online was such a clusterfuck nightmare in so many ways, I think I'll sit far back from the oncoming red dead online trainwreck with a big tub of popcorn

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I guess you can always engage with red dead online as god intended: by having money dropped on your head by a hacker then using all the toys to grief people in free roam

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

In RDR3, which will be a prequel to RDR2, I hope uncle will be there being a piece of poo poo the whole time again. Uncle will never get any character development, he will have just been a useless waste of air from the moment he slid out of the womb

But miss grimshaw will be the one to really watch :stare:

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

There are definitely a lot of cool mysteries people haven't resolved yet, see this subreddit. I've seen the fertility statues mentioned there. I want to know what's up with the weird hieroglyphics in blackwater that get recorded in your journal when you find them

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Starks posted:

What are you supposed to do if there’s too much activity in an area to hunt a legendary?

I think it's the game's dumb way of conveying that there's a memory limitation preventing the spawn, so killing everything nearby might help. But I got frustrated and gave up before I saw that approach working so YMMV

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

The buffalo's eye thing is solved, it's where you get the prize for breaking all 20 dreamcatchers.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

You can completely ignore the crafting if you don't like it, the things that improve your character power are entirely overkill for how easy the game is. If you like hunting you can make funny costumes at the trapper if you like any of them, that should probably be your main concern.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

You're not even close to the end until chapter 6, and even chapter 6 is long af, and even then it's not over. It's a long game for sure, perhaps too long

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I know dutch is good at spinning, but this is ridiculous