Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Transmogrifier
Dec 10, 2004

Systems at max!

Lipstick Apathy
This is worth the double post. Red Dead Redemption 2 is officially coming to PC on November 5th. Pre-order bonuses include:

War horse for story mode
Treasure map for story mode
Cash bonus for story mode
50 gold bars for online

More details will be released on Oct 9.

https://twitter.com/IGN/status/1180130037519044608

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Transmogrifier
Dec 10, 2004

Systems at max!

Lipstick Apathy

JosefStalinator posted:

Is there any chance that you'll be able to move your PS4 save to a PC save? I love the game, but it was so painful and difficult to play on console controls. I'd be more eager to buy it on PC if I could continue my progress there without having to totally restart.

I doubt it will be possible.

Transmogrifier
Dec 10, 2004

Systems at max!

Lipstick Apathy

Jimbot posted:

What are the chances Rockstar will make those special outfits you can buy modular? I distinctly remember the pre-order and special edition outfits couldn't be altered in the early days but then I played one day and saw that each individual part was available to me.

They said in that interview posted a few pages back that they know people want to be able to pick and choose pieces from the outfits, but there's no ETA if they'll be able to make it work or something like that. It's apparently something they're looking into doing based on the demand.

Xander77 posted:

RDR2 doesn't have the sort of micro-transactions that could cause Rockstar to go after mods, right?

What kind of mods do you hope for, both in terms of just fun stuff and in terms of fixing the game's flaws?

I'm a big immersion nut so I'm hoping for something that plays up player needs, like hunger, thirst, and sleep. I'm also hoping to see a Friesian horse and more dog breeds.

Transmogrifier
Dec 10, 2004

Systems at max!

Lipstick Apathy
It's also bonus XP this week I believe. It's really really easy to do the Outlaw pass.

Transmogrifier
Dec 10, 2004

Systems at max!

Lipstick Apathy
The Bolt Action and the Varmint Rifle should be your first two gets ASAP. They'll be your primary hunting tools.

I did my second ever Wild Animal Hunt event yesterday and won. :3: I was way too excited about winning too. I was really lucky; a large number of the rare animals spawned right next to me and no one else was near me. Some folks tried to take me out but I was just always on my horse and weaving around. I'm glad I hopped back into RDO after this update. I'm loving the cowboy life.

I do hope we can copy our characters over to the PC version. I really don't want to have to start over again. That trek to Bounty Hunter rank 20 is awful, though last week's legendary bounty made it easier with 1300-1500 xp payout per turn in at max bounty level.

Transmogrifier
Dec 10, 2004

Systems at max!

Lipstick Apathy

KoRMaK posted:

hell yea that's rad, thanks.

How do I know which day it is?

It automatically updates each day at 8PM EST. You may have to refresh the page.

Transmogrifier
Dec 10, 2004

Systems at max!

Lipstick Apathy

Ainsley McTree posted:

Can you change your appearance for free as many times as you want now, or did R* just give everyone one free change? I can see that “free” taunting me in the player menu but I’m not sure how much I have to make it count.

You get one free change and if you took part in the Outlaw Pass, you get an additional free appearance voucher. After that, it starts to cost gold bars.

Transmogrifier
Dec 10, 2004

Systems at max!

Lipstick Apathy
Trader becomes absurdly fast once you unlock the wagon and collector is a mindless effort. Bounty Hunter was by far the most grindy of the three. I spent most of last week finishing out the last seven or so levels on the legendary bounty because it would net you anywhere from 1300-1500 xp per mission, which is more than half a level. Not sure if this week's rewards as much at the same five-star tier but legendaries seems to be the best way to get that experience.

Transmogrifier
Dec 10, 2004

Systems at max!

Lipstick Apathy

Sleekly posted:

Coming back to this and its nice to see online has lots more now.

I'm starting out with trading but it seems really hard to keep materials up. Even dropping off good or perfect carcasses won't keep production from halting for long.

Am I missing something or do I just need to setup camp somewhere nice and grind for a bit?

It's tough until you get your wagon because you have a limited amount of carcasses you can bring back. Get a second horse (steal or tame one), ride it around while whistling for your own horse. Two large carcasses (one on each horse), two medium carcasses onto your saddle, and lasso a third big carcass to drag back with you to camp. You definitely want to set up camp somewhere and just hunt in a specific area until you're comfortable with your materials number. I'd recommend Little Creek River in north West Elizabeth by Hanging Dog Ranch or down in the Great Plains near Blackwater. Some folks will also set up in New Hanover, out in the Heartlands, but these are the two areas where I get hunting done the fastest. Always do resupply missions, don't just buy the resupply; you'll get a number of materials (ranging from 5-20) when you complete a resupply mission.

Transmogrifier
Dec 10, 2004

Systems at max!

Lipstick Apathy
Has there been anything said about whether or not you can copy your console data to PC?

Transmogrifier
Dec 10, 2004

Systems at max!

Lipstick Apathy

Jesustheastronaut! posted:

A few friends and I will be playing the game for the first time once it releases on PC next week. We will not be doing any single player stuff for the first month and plan on just spending all of or time on multiplayer and squeezing in the campaign in the rare time that we've got time to play but nobody is online.

How does the multiplayer work for in this? Will me and my pals be able to roam around as a gang and pvp other gangs? Is there a coop campaign or at least multiplayer quests? I've avoided a lot of spoilers for the game until I finally have a chance to play it, but I want to make sure it will be something 3 or 4 people can have fun playing together for a while

Yes you will be able to. You can set up a temporary posse for free or pay a 200$ fee (I think) to make it a permanent posse, which means it will persist through sessions and all that fun jazz. You can do stranger missions, bounty hunts, and trade deliveries as a posse. I am not sure if there's a way to do the story mission as a posse though. You can all roam together in the same session and PVP other gangs if they're around.

Transmogrifier
Dec 10, 2004

Systems at max!

Lipstick Apathy

VarXX posted:

If you mean the Online Story stuff, yes. Posse leader controls which mission to start, you just go to the point with your posse or start it from the menus

That's what I meant, yeah. Good to know!

Transmogrifier
Dec 10, 2004

Systems at max!

Lipstick Apathy

BiggerBoat posted:

Holy poo poo

It's an in game fee, to be clear. Not actual real life cash.

Transmogrifier
Dec 10, 2004

Systems at max!

Lipstick Apathy
My game would stay connected for maybe ten, fifteen minutes when I was using wifi. The best fix I've found is just turning your phone into a mobile hot spot and connecting that way if you have unlimited data. The only persistent connection problem is that nine times out of ten I disconnect when completing a legendary bounty.

Transmogrifier
Dec 10, 2004

Systems at max!

Lipstick Apathy

WoodrowSkillson posted:

I'm hardlined into the PS4 and the PS4 is in the DMZ, if the game disconnects its the games fault.

I'm not saying it isn't the game, or more specifically Rockstar's fault. It is. I'm just letting folks here know there's another method for connecting that's proven to be pretty successful for a lot of people.

There's a goon RDR discord right? Someone mind posting a permanent invite URL?

Transmogrifier
Dec 10, 2004

Systems at max!

Lipstick Apathy

Babe Magnet posted:

looking forward to getting in with everyone in December when I can buy it on Steam. They say anything about a character transfer yet, from the consoles?

It's not happening, sadly. From here:

quote:

As for Red Dead Redemption 2’s online component, Red Dead Online, it will go live on PC at launch. It won’t offer any cross-platform play, and everyone will have to start fresh — unlike with Grand Theft Auto 5’s Grand Theft Auto Online, there won’t be an option to transfer existing characters from the PS4 or Xbox One versions. On the plus side, the PC version of Red Dead Online will launch with everything that’s currently available on console, including the Frontier Pursuits, or roles, that debuted in September. And after the PC port is released, Red Dead Online will get the same updates across all three platforms simultaneously.

Transmogrifier
Dec 10, 2004

Systems at max!

Lipstick Apathy

Capn Beeb posted:

Honestly that's probably for the best, it'd suck for folks that waited all this time to get non stop bodied by max level people with dynamite arrows and explosive bullets.

This is a really good point. I'm only disappointed because I finally got the undercut style from Bounty Hunter rank 10 or something like that. At least I will have more friends to do these bounties with. I've managed to recruit a few into forming a posse already.

Transmogrifier
Dec 10, 2004

Systems at max!

Lipstick Apathy

fuf posted:

I played through the single player on PS4 but never played multiplayer.

My goal for the PC version is just to wander around the beautiful world while listening to podcasts, and I'm not sure whether I should do that in SP or Online.

SP has some chill goals like looking for dinosaur bones and cave paintings, does Online have stuff like that? Does Online have any extra stuff added to the map like interesting little locations and huts etc? If Online is going to keep adding new stuff then it sounds like the place to be, but again, my goal is just relaxed traversal of the map with occasional stumbling upon something interesting.

The thing about not having any Arthur / Player dialogue while wandering around in Online sounds like a bummer... How do I say howdy to NPCs?

There's the collector role for online, which allows you to find collectible items while out in the world. Completing a collectible set can net you a let of money. Pretty much all of the neat little locales and whatnot are in the online game too.

There's emotes and you can tap them to do actions such as waving at NPCs, who will generally respond with a greeting of some kind.

Transmogrifier
Dec 10, 2004

Systems at max!

Lipstick Apathy
Another thing to consider is that there is a lot of cinematic cut scenes in the game too, especially in the beginning. A lot of your time is spent watching a movie.

Transmogrifier
Dec 10, 2004

Systems at max!

Lipstick Apathy

Pierson posted:

What is the Red Dead Online sandbox like? I really enjoyed some of the single-player activities like the hunting, minigames, the bank-robberies (ESPECIALLY the bank robberies) and the weird misc stuff. Is that stuff in RDO too? I'd be buying the PC version basically entirely for that.

I assume the PC version will be cheater and griefer central but I'd be willing to put up with that if I got to rob banks and poo poo.

There are missions where you can do things like jailbreaks, rescues, and other stranger missions you could encounter in single player. There are no bank robbery missions since it would mean money galore. There are unique missions available only if you're at dishonorable, if you're in offensive mode, and/or if you're in a posse too.

Transmogrifier
Dec 10, 2004

Systems at max!

Lipstick Apathy

Pierson posted:

That's a good answer, thanks! Even if you can't rob banks I assume you can do 'normal' stuff for fun like robbing stores and doing train robberies? If it isn't obvious I really like causing chaos in these games.

I've never robbed a store but I wouldn't be surprised if you still can because it's not a huge payout. You can definitely still rob folks though.

Transmogrifier
Dec 10, 2004

Systems at max!

Lipstick Apathy
I decided to go ahead and adopt an old Discord server for Red Dead shenanigans. If you need some channels made for your posse, let me [Hennessy] know. https://discord.gg/yRkJgbk :clint:

Transmogrifier
Dec 10, 2004

Systems at max!

Lipstick Apathy

davebo posted:

Would it not make sense to use the Red Dead Goons discord server for pc also? or has the moderator of that jumped ship?

I asked in the thread a few times and at least one other person did too for the server link but no one ever posted it, so I just assumed it was dead.

Bringing this post to this page so it's not lost:

Transmogrifier posted:

I decided to go ahead and adopt an old Discord server for Red Dead shenanigans. If you need some channels made for your posse, let me [Hennessy] know. https://discord.gg/yRkJgbk :clint:

Transmogrifier fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Nov 5, 2019

Transmogrifier
Dec 10, 2004

Systems at max!

Lipstick Apathy

webmeister posted:

Supposedly animal pelts get insta-skinned if you park your horse on top of the carcass, but I haven't tested it personally since the world apparently revolves around NYC time :rolleyes:

Yeah this works. I've done it several times. It works in single player too.

Transmogrifier fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Nov 5, 2019

Transmogrifier
Dec 10, 2004

Systems at max!

Lipstick Apathy
Praying for all of my fellow cowboys here. :pray: One hour left!

Transmogrifier fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Nov 5, 2019

Transmogrifier
Dec 10, 2004

Systems at max!

Lipstick Apathy

junan_paalla posted:

Decided to pre-order this a couple of hours before release because why not? The free game and special edition upgrade was enough for me since I was going to buy this eventually anyway.
My only regret is not leaving my computer on, I can't remote desktop in from work and start the preload before getting home. My friend said the game's over 100gb, can anyone confirm?

It is. It's a big (and beautiful) game and it installs both single player and multiplayer components. Took me about two hours or so to download.

Transmogrifier
Dec 10, 2004

Systems at max!

Lipstick Apathy
I mean you might as well get the Special Edition since it's a free upgrade from the base game. The Ultimate Edition extras are really just for multiplayer so if you don't plan to play it, then just stick with the Special Edition. Assuming you can still get it as a free upgrade.

Transmogrifier
Dec 10, 2004

Systems at max!

Lipstick Apathy
I'm still decrypting. It is taking way too long. :suicide:

Transmogrifier
Dec 10, 2004

Systems at max!

Lipstick Apathy

MR.B posted:

I'd like to play, but Rockstar launcher just crashes when I launch the game...

Someone up thread had a similar issue. Disabling their antivirus (in this case, Avast) temporarily allowed them to launch the game.

davebo posted:

Doeos anyone know if rockstar's lovely launcher has ps4 dualshock 4 controller compatibility like Steam? I'll probably want to switch between that and mouse/keyboard like I do with GTA.

I went looking for the answer to this on reddit but didn't see it in a cursory glance. If GTA on PC has support for it, I imagine they would do the same for Red Dead too.

Downloading the 3GB now but I also have to make some phone calls, which is fine. I can spend the time on hold making my lady look amazing. Come join us on the Discord if you haven't already: https://discord.gg/yRkJgbk

Transmogrifier
Dec 10, 2004

Systems at max!

Lipstick Apathy
Been a helluva day for me, then it turned out I was some memory short for the minimum requirements. :suicide: I remedied that though, didn't like my first attempt at an online character, and so trying the second one. This game is absolutely beautiful on PC.

Transmogrifier
Dec 10, 2004

Systems at max!

Lipstick Apathy

Lemon posted:

This game is pretty dang nice-lookin'

It's so drat beautiful. The only other game that comes close is the Witcher 3.

I'm on try attempt four in making an acceptable looking character for multiplayer, which is more akin to Dragon Age Inquisition. :v:

Has anyone tried to use a Playstation controller yet?

Transmogrifier
Dec 10, 2004

Systems at max!

Lipstick Apathy

i must compose posted:

Yes it works for me, with the correct button icons and everything.

Nice, thank you! I'm going to still try out how KB+M goes but the controller is really good for treasure hunting. The vibration function is invaluable.

Transmogrifier
Dec 10, 2004

Systems at max!

Lipstick Apathy

Taintrunner posted:

How do I am down sights on PC?

I think you scroll up on the mouse wheel? I've had to refer to the key mapping quite a bit.

Transmogrifier
Dec 10, 2004

Systems at max!

Lipstick Apathy

Aeka 2.0 posted:

I would buy this if I could move over my PS4 save. Will this not happen?

It's not happening.

Transmogrifier
Dec 10, 2004

Systems at max!

Lipstick Apathy

Freudian slippers posted:

Came across a man being mauled by a wolf. After bungling around in Deadeye, I finally shot the wolf in the rear end and made it run away. Offered the man some medicine, which he angrily slapped out of my hand before croaking. I then tried to calm down my skittish horse, pressed the wrong button and socked her in the jaw. 10/10 GOTY.

Also, can anyone tell me if there's a way to see if I'm wearing appropriate clothing for the temperature? An icon or something? I sometimes get a message saying I'm too hot, but it disappears quickly. I know how to check the temperature, but don't know if I'm correctly dressed for it.

By hitting ALT you'll bring up the HUD which will tell you what the temperature is at. If you're too hot or too cold for a climate, a little icon (either a sun or a snowflake) will flash over your health core. Certain pieces of clothing will also tell you how warm they are, so while you can sometimes wear a jacket out in Rhodes, wearing a heavier fur one will get you hotter faster. You just gotta gauge it on your own. It's not too big a deal in my experience.

Transmogrifier
Dec 10, 2004

Systems at max!

Lipstick Apathy
It's amazing to me how much this game has forced many people to update parts of their PC (myself included). I don't think AC: Odyssey had this kind of trouble.

e: And for those who may have missed it, we've got a Discord for the PC folks: https://discord.gg/yRkJgbk Be sure to join us.

Transmogrifier fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Nov 6, 2019

Transmogrifier
Dec 10, 2004

Systems at max!

Lipstick Apathy
I noticed that their launcher doesn't support a friends list (as far as I can tell) or anything like that. If you want to add new friends, you have to go to the website and invite them via email or through other social accounts. It's a real hassle.

Transmogrifier
Dec 10, 2004

Systems at max!

Lipstick Apathy

Elendil004 posted:

Well all my friends who have this game are godless cowards who will not venture online. Does anyone want to play? Is there a community? Is the only way to add people really through the social club website?

We have a discord for PC goons that you are more than welcome to join. https://discord.gg/yRkJgbk/ You can add people through the social website or, once you log into the game, hit the HOME button and it will bring up an in game UI where you can navigate to the Friends section and add people via their nickname and handle friend requests.

Transmogrifier
Dec 10, 2004

Systems at max!

Lipstick Apathy

sensitivepigeon posted:

Link isn't working, could you post a new one?

Elendil004 posted:

I think that link is expired.

Also, how do I earn gold because I need like jesus, 15 to become a bounty hunter :(

That's supposed to be a permanent link so I'm not sure why it no longer works. :shrug: But here you two go! https://discord.gg/HBgmBeJ

How to earn gold: do daily challenges and missions. Finding treasure maps will also yield gold too. It can be slow going but it adds up quickly enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Transmogrifier
Dec 10, 2004

Systems at max!

Lipstick Apathy

Frankston posted:

Is sleep actually important or is it just a mechanic to pass time? I've yet to go exploring beyond valentine yet because I get preoccupied with making sure I can get back to camp before it gets too late.

You're actually making a smart move to go back to camp and hang out. There's a lot of really cool interactions between the gang members and you can learn a lot about them.