Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

I can't get over the loving scale and atmosphere of this game. Like, everything from RDR that made me amble everywhere for hours helping strangers, looking behind rocks and in burned out buildings and towns....it's all there, but better.

It's loving stunning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

I've found that murdering random people near rivers and cliffs, looting them, then tossing their bodies into said rivers/canyons is the best way to avoid suspicion. I just knife everyone and move on.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Orv posted:

My kingdom for a horse that isn't scared of alligators. I was down in the bayou looking for a treasure chest and once my horse freaked out once it just ping ponged ceaselessly between gators until I wanted to leave.

I had a horse get so spooked once in a gunfight that he bolted from Valentine all the way to Upper Grizzlies. I never was able to track him down.

It's the only time it has happened in like 3x single player playthroughs.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

So is the RDR port worth buying? Honestly I’m tempted just because I miss the original and my ps3 is long gone.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Hosea :smith: Lenny :smith:

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

FireWorksWell posted:

Bonus points for their turn in morality coming from being screwed over by Dutch's gang

Or play as an early O’Driscoll, at war with Dutch and the gang.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

I think both games highlight the social rot of their times, but in very different ways.

I don’t think GTAV is being edgy at all, it just sucks to have your lovely world mirrored back at you.

I love them both. M

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

NikkolasKing posted:

My last run I was just riding along casually up near I think Annesburg. I was still outside the city and on the road. I hear a stock big cat sound and am like "eh, no biggie,., it's probably far off to the side." Only nope, next thing I knew, a cougar was charging right out onto the road to try and eat me.

There are two things that get my arm hair on end in the game—those night people charging at you in the swamp with machetes, and cougars ripping out of the woods to eat you.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Earwicker posted:

personally the mexico segment was something i really missed in rdr2. i just thought it had some of the best landscape and music in the gameworld in rdr1, thats also just my personal taste i guess tho because thats the closest they ever get to the sergio leone/ennio morricone vibe, which is my favorite style of western. i love rdr2 but it doesnt really go there much, it feels more like a revisionist western

The musical intro when you transition into Mexico gives me goosebumps just thinking about. Gorgeous as hell.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

I do enjoy cosplaying a bit by murdering the absolutely poo poo out of every Lemoyne raider I see.

Tie em up, toss em in the swamp. Or off a bridge. Or on the train tracks. Set them on fire. Explode them. I bring a lot of righteous anger to Rhodes and the entire free state of Lemoyne.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

I actually just toss Molotov cocktails into the Klan rallies because those robes really like to go up.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Eifert Posting posted:

I think the take away is less "Arthur is a good dude" and more " Arthur could have been the best dude."

His background in inherently tragic.

I mean he grew up in it. He’s a product of his circumstances.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Arthur died with circumstances, not of circumstances.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

chaosapiant posted:

But it also feels like a game where if I take my time and relax and just soak in the atmosphere, it's an incredible experience. Is that more or less true?

This is 100% the appeal. I refer to it as “cowboyin’” for a reason.

Just ride around. Explore caves and mountaintops. Explore burned out encampments, snowy valleys. Go hunting. Enjoy the random generated poo poo and side quests.

That’s what hooked me on RDR to begin with—just galloping around in an open world and exploring everything I could.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

webmeister posted:

Be honest, how much did you cry when your horse died?

I’ll never forget my first, best horse. Johnnie Utah. loving Micah.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

I can’t get through a high honor play through because I murder every Lemoyne raider i see, no matter where.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

rotinaj posted:

You need to use the howdy button more

And be nice to your horse more

I’m always nice to everyone else. And my horse loves me.

But I’ll inevitably hogtie and execute a raider in front of a billion people and I end up with a huge bounty and body count.

I have no regrets.

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

I'm just mucking around in chapter 2, and getting to Rhodes and beating the up all the lemoyne raiders that are hanging around talking poo poo is super satisfying

Yeah just hogtie one and blow him up with dynamite. Throw a Molotov into a group of them. Hog tie and throw em off a bridge. Or into a small puddle.

It’s very fun and makes me feel like a total psychopath.

LeeMajors fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Jan 28, 2024

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Wolfsheim posted:

this is funny because I thought the same for the first couple hours but by the end of the game was like "oh....I guess I'll play as john again, i guess"

they really emphasize how much less thoughtful and more of a dumbass john is after spending 50+ hours as arthur lol

Yeah same. I very much initially missed John, but it didn’t take long before John’s backstory painted him as a fragile dumdum and Arthur was way more complex and, dare I say, noble?

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

RDR1/2 soundtracks occupy many many hours on my Spotify wrapped, because it really is perfect music for studying, yardwork or relaxing.

I think I even bought a couple songs off the original years back on iTunes.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

GTAV rules precisely because it is so cynical and depraved. Like yeah it’s a bit cartoonish but they did a pretty good job lampooning modern American social decay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

FuturePastNow posted:

I can't wait to see how they transplant that to 2020s Florida, which is the absolute leading edge of American depravity.

I'm not sure where they have left to go for the Red Dead franchise. I think I'd like to see something back to the 1870s with new characters. Hit us with that immediate post-Civil War era.

Yeah GTAVI has real potential to get nutty.

And for RDR, going back to a young Hosea or doing a post-RDR2 parallel universe running a revenge tour as Sadie Adler would be incredible.