Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

UrbicaMortis posted:

I know this is how the whole games industry works but it's a little dispiriting that even Rockstar, a company that is basically sitting on a dragon's hoard of wealth, can't just hire enough people to make games with a healthy work schedule.

Development doesn't just go faster if you hire more people, some stuff is really specialized, having multiple people work on a single thing of code tends to introduce more bugs too so it'd likely be slower.

It's a lovely situation but it's not like you could hire a thousand QA testers to knock out a 60+ hour game in one day for instance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.

chitoryu12 posted:

Is there any reason to believe they don’t?

It depends on the place, most of the time you're salaried and screwed, sometimes though you'll get an overtime bonus thing if your boss is nice. Honestly I don't have a good sample for that, the latter could be more common than I know. If I had to guess for Rockstar (or most big game companies really) they probably get a bonus after launch, and people probably start going on vacation after immediate critical support stuff gets resolved. Since they have the online stuff going on, well that's what they're working on now, they'll probably be busy through the end of the year.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.

Toona the Cat posted:

Was bird hunting along one of the rivers and saw an eagle swoop down and pluck a fish out of the water. I was in awe for a second before getting two for one bullet. :clint:

Pretty sure a bird dropped a snake on me once. The snake was dead so it was just startling. Like either a bird did it or it fell out of the sky for no reason both of which seem equally likely.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.
Found a train near someone's camp while online, it was at the end of the line so I decided to steal it and see if I could derail or wreck it maybe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6QD66o-_II

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.

precision posted:

"Kill 5 rabbits from horseback"

As if I wasn't already doing that, game

Love getting branded a horse thief when I get on my own drat horse lmao

I initially thought that challenge meant to kill the rabbits with the horse. By the time I had figured it out I had already killed four via trampling :v:

Feenix posted:

So I just was looking around in menus and found the Rank unlocks. Are these... GIVEN to me, somehow? (because I don't have them...) or am I just unlocking the honor and privilege of spending monies on them?

[edit]

Like a Necktie, Varmint Rifle, suspenders, a vest, etc..

This reminds me, I saw in my unlocks something that just said Standard 4 and later Standard 5, with clothing icons like they're an outfit, but I neither seem to have them or see them available in a store unless the names are different. Anyone know what those are?

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.

HORMELCHILI posted:

This is a horrible idea as you can lose your lure to a fish and you get no gold from fishing

This is true but you'd have to be bad at fishing, just don't reel when the fish are struggling and you won't lose it. Also I'm not sure if you even can lose it to salmon or bass, I think the pikes and the sturgeons are the only threat but I'm not willing to test it.

The river just south of Cumberland Falls has a lot of salmon and no big fish, pretty easy to reel in 10 and ride back to Valentine hitting up that pig farm on the way to the butcher.

Semi-related: I love my brand new pump action shotgun. Nothing gets pubbies off your back like blasting them to hell repeatedly with little effort.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.

Tercio posted:

if a fishing lure - that can be lost at times - strategically helps you catch fish, but that same fishing lure costs 1 gold bar - ensuring it is never a wise investment, then you've made budget choices trump gameplay choices and that's stupid as gently caress

remove the gold bar from the equation and make the lure cost a certain amount of normal in-game currency that presents an actual opportunity cost to consider against the profit you earn catching large fish attracted by the lure that you run the risk of losing each time you cast - now suddenly we're talking about actual interesting gameplay choices

It only costs one gold bar if you're under level 30 which most of us are. I had 4 gold bars and don't really give a gently caress about the cosmetic poo poo they buy and skipping the lvl requirement on the lure has been super lucrative and I like fishing so gently caress it. I think it costs something cheap like $2.50 after you get to level 30 but I forget.

Hobo Clown posted:

https://rdr2map.com/

Hide everything except "point of interest", "easter egg", and "misc". All the locations of the weird poo poo will be shown on the map, no spoilers unless you click on the map marker to see what it is.

Thank you for posting this, it's really helpful.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.
So buying the worms in a store does get you 5 at a time instead of 1, but it costs 2.50 instead of 50 cents. Was no one paying attention or is it random?

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.

Hugh Malone posted:

haha no it was definitely 5/50c yesterday. I watched it tick off 50 cents 4 times and I had 20 worms

that must be rockstars "fix"

e: your getting them off the shelf and not from the catalogue, right?

Yep, right off the shelf by the door in Valentine's general store.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.

TheTrend posted:

its a bug. if you buy it off the shelf its 5 for $.50

This either doesn't work in Valentine's General store or they fixed it. I took screen shots last night that I can post after work if people still don't believe me, but buying the worms off the shelf cost $2.50 for 5. It's still profitable, just risky since small fry can eat them too so if you get a freakin' Bluegill it's only a quarter earned.

Tercio posted:

Oh, add gambling, but make it the only multiplayer interactive activity that rewards/uses cash so you can pigeonhole gold bars as your microtransaction.

I'm pretty sure that's why there's a split of gold bars and cash, if there wasn't they wouldn't be able to add in gambling since it'd be illegal in some areas if actual money was involved.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.

Arrgytehpirate posted:

Where are y’all fishing at? I’m getting trout south of tumbleweed. There’s a little island and you can just run up and down it to respawn them. The water is shallow and clear so you can easily see where to cast too.

E: I’ve been kicked off the server three times in the past 10 minutes. Time to call it a night I guess.

The Dakota River southwest of Valentine is great, the spot where it's a big bend and there's a ranch on top of the hill in the middle specifically. On the bottom part across from Limpany and a little farther sw of that you can catch trout, near where the bend is you can catch small mouth bass, and on the top part of the bend all the way up to where Cumberland Falls is even you can catch salmon. Fill up on each and that's 105 bucks plus whatever crap you can hunt on the way back and maybe even that pig farm everyone loves slaughtering.

Edit:
Pink area is where I find salmon the easiest but they're all the way on up like I said, yellow areas are where the bass are, and the blue is where I find trout.

Brightman fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Dec 6, 2018

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.

Basic Poster posted:

You can get either LM Bass or steelhead per cast here:

And I get 10 salmon per trip for 10 casts (or grab three you can heard on shore in the shallows) here:

I'll have to check out that first spot, that could save even more time and if it is LM instead of SM then there's another stack of fish entirely. Thanks.

Basic Poster posted:

Also worth noting that as of this AM, Steelhead and Salmon have been reduced to $25 per stack (~41% drop)...not sure on bass. They were $20 per stack ( $11.76 with the same 41% drop applied).

Well...poo poo. Wonder if the pigs are now worthless too. Prior to this perfect bucks were $15 for all their parts, pelts, and carcasses, wonder if that's been reduced too, like is it just an across the board thing or just the stuff that was fast.

Brightman fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Dec 6, 2018

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.
Wow, that all sounds great once you get through it all. Fun to go from "gently caress" to "gently caress yes" on the gun's being reduced in price but refunds will be a thing.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.

DrNutt posted:

Well they were clearly making money too fast for Rockstar's liking, which is definitely an exploit to be fixed. Gotta sell them gold bars.

Gold doesn't convert to money afaik, and probably won't so they can put gambling in without breaking laws, or at least one would hope since that poo poo is fun.

DrNutt posted:

Well they should probably not loving make the pelts vanish off your horse if you look at it the wrong way or maybe sneeze a little too hard. In both online and single player. Given the invulnerability of poo poo in your satchel I'm pretty convinced it's a horse spawn bug that they just couldn't fix before release or decided that it made enough "realistic" sense to not bother.

This is why I like the smaller animals and birds, you just put the pelts and feathers in your satchel and basically never lose them.

I agree that the Trout and Salmon were probably an oversight to begin with, they were worth more than the loving large fish ffs. As is you can still get 80 bucks worth of fish in your big with the sm bass, lm bass, trout, and salmon, it'll just take longer. Now the fastest, spergiest method would be killing the pigs and other livestock in Valentine, possibly using one of the small wagons as I saw someone doing one day to get all the carcasses in one go. I prefer fishing, the slaughtering thing wasn't nearly as fun.

Also fishing is probably the quickest way to level up your health, maybe boxing with people or something, but fishing is also getting you cash, idk. I'm sorta hoping racing will be lucrative enough to grind a bit even if it's not the most efficient. There were some interesting modes in there but I only went through a few in a series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.

titties posted:

And you shouldn't have to but by the time you've hit level twenty or so there's no way you haven't seen all the cutscenes a lot of times and clearly they and I are just grinding the missions over and over and I would like them to skip the cutscene, they do not need to watch it but clearly they intend to watch it but I do not want to watch it very much at all

I might've been level 20 when I did the last mission.

Also pubbies don't skip cutscenes because they're the perfect break to catch up on texts, yell at your wife/gf about the baby, and/or get in another massive bong rip.