Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

It's my new shirt

When do you lose pelts off the horse? is it when you die, when it falls, or what, cause I just lost like 8 perfect pelts after a cougar surprised me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

It's my new shirt

Calaveron posted:

I managed to jump the fence at the very end so I missed out on Arthur getting arrested and him hollering about how he's an AMERICAN I'M AN AMERICAN instead he escapes while hollering how he's FREE I'M FREE and woke up miles away form Valentine with no horse

this is the greatest quest in gaming ever

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

It's my new shirt

My Arthur has long slicked back hair and a big bushy mustache and he looks like Kurt Russel as Wyatt Earp and it owns

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

It's my new shirt

Deified Data posted:

*shoots you, then myself*

They appear to be assembled from individual items.

If they are, some are far flung from each other cause I'm pretty sure at least the color variations can be unique to them, or are locked behind general stores out west where i have not gone yet.

WoodrowSkillson fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Oct 29, 2018

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

It's my new shirt

Deified Data posted:

The one with the altar and the skeletons in bed

I missed this where is it?

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

It's my new shirt

Deified Data posted:

It's right next to the tree you find the farmhand's money in during the first collection mission.

Hahahaha they all have new shoes on lol

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

It's my new shirt

cheesetriangles posted:

They are a lot less wacky this time and more serious but the ideas are still terrible and Arthur points out it's a terrible idea before doing it anyway.

To be fair, it at least makes more sense than prior games. [Spoiler]We know this is the story of the gang's downfall. Dutch is making worse and worse decisions and getting unhinged by failure, and is trading on the respect of Arthur, John, and the others to trust him and go along with it. Arthur and John are both questioning Dutch more and more as the game progresses it's becoming kinda apparent where this is leading. [/spolier]

I'm about 55% done now, I marathoned it over the weekend after a death in the family made me feel rather unsocial when I'm not with family.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

It's my new shirt

Substandard posted:

I also am interested and can't figure out animals. I want my sweet trapper clothes, but how do i find "perfect" pelts?. I tried lassoing the deer and knifing them, I tried shooting with arrows, in the head, etc. but nothing seems consistent. I have been skinning everything in the field, so I can take multiple pelts at a time. I feel like I should just be able to one shot them in the head with anything and be fine, but apparently the game doesn't like that.

You are half right. Animals all have a starting quality, this is one of those things that gets missed on a popup and buried in the manual.

Pull out your gun, binoculars, whatever, and look at the animal. You should have an option to "study" one you have not seen before. This is when Arthur puts it in his journal as a sketch. Now, when you look at it, one of the portions of the little UI that comes up will call the animal Poor, Good, or Pristine. Only Pristine animals can provide perfect pelts.

You can also see this represented visually as 3 stars to the left of the animal's name in the UI when you either target them or their trail. 1 star is poor, 2 good, 3 pristine.

Now that you have found a Pristine Elk for example, you need to kill it without ruining the pelt, that means a one shot kill. To keep it simple, aim for the head. You also need to use appropriate ammo. Use the Varmint rifle or small game arrows for all the small/medium animals like squirrels up to foxes and badgers. Use arrows or rifles for the bigger ones like boar, elk, bear. Poison arrows work too.

It's a bit confusing at first but it actually makes sense, if you wanted to get a good deerskin to make things with, you don't fill it full of holes.

To go get a Perfect Elk hide, here's how you do it. Go to the mountains south of where you found that legendary bear. Walk around slowly on your horse for the better view. Use your witcher senses to either find a 3 star trail, or just see them highlighted and then zoom in on them with binoculars or a sniper rifle. Get close enough that you can use the "call" prompt to whistle and make them raise their head, hit deadeye and nail them in the head.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

It's my new shirt

Iron Crowned posted:

I like how when Arthur is using his witcher senses, you can see his stink lines

that tells you which direction the wind is blowing and which animals will smell you

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

It's my new shirt

Chapter 6 question how do I make the tonic rain falls gave me herbs for?

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

It's my new shirt

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Campfire I think.

It's not an option when I do that

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

It's my new shirt

PirateBob posted:

Thanks guys.

Is there really no poker game to be found in Saint Denis? I checked both saloons.

Only poker game I've found is a lame $2.50 stake one in Valentine.

There Is a 5.00 one in the northern saloon in San Denis. They really dropped the ball on poker in this one and it's a giant waste of time.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

It's my new shirt

Vikar Jerome posted:

is it a proper prequel? i'd heard some poo poo about some of it being post rdr1, that true?

No that is wrong.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

It's my new shirt

Calm down dickeye

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

It's my new shirt

I need to bookmark the page, does anyone have those chapter diagrams?

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

It's my new shirt

The Doomhammer posted:

Just finished. I hope RDR3 is just the continued adventures of Sadie Adler in South America or something.

Honestly far more members of the gang got out of this game alive than I expected.

Because enough sadness was created by Lenny dying for 3 games.

LENNY!!!!!

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

It's my new shirt

hemale in pain posted:

Does anyone else feel the linear story doesn't really match the open world? I'm not very far in to this game but I'm having way more fun loving about in the open world than I do on missions. The way they've handeld the story almost seems outdated now. Every mission is ride somewhere, watch npcs do something, something goes wrong and then you have a big shoot out against like 30 dudes. It doesn't really match the world at all. I can't really play games without a story, i get way bored on survival stuff where there's nothing to do but endless crafting, but the times when you go fishing or hunting with characters, even some stranger missions, are way better than the big gun fight story quests.

Also im gonna scream if the game switches my Schofield out with a revolver i never use and has zero condition and i only notice until i've left my horse. gently caress YOU GAME.

IMO the story gets better as the game progresses, early game its definitely more fun just roaming around doing poo poo. Later, the story picks up and you feel more compelled to just keep playing it, which then fits together more nicely

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

It's my new shirt

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

Wait, so when you switch to playing as Marston you have to re-buy all of your items and customize everything again? I still have plenty of time before I get that far but that sounds pretty obnoxious.

Initially you do not have any of the guns, this makes sense as the story is presented. Later, when you get guns again, it will be the upgraded ones, plus John's own revolver.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

It's my new shirt

rap music posted:

wait what the gently caress

what about the stuff I unlocked at the trapper? I can kill with any gun but I can only kill with certain outfits

Everything unlocks, the only thing you actually lose is saved custom outfits, you just need to recreate them. You start with John trying to be honest so he is not running around with all his guns out at the start of the epilogues

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

It's my new shirt

AndyElusive posted:

I approve of your choice of cowboy duds and of course, the stache.

The stache owns because Arthur looks stunningly like Kurt Russel as Wyatt Earp from tombstone and it owns

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

It's my new shirt

Tercio posted:

There's a way I can turn that preorder stuff off early in the game, yes? I hate having so much extra stuff.

Just use it up fast, its really not all that much and just does exactly what its intended to do, grease the wheels a bit in the early game. You can also literally just drop it in on the ground if you really don't want it.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

It's my new shirt

theblackw0lf posted:

Finished the main game. I find it interesting how for all the talk from Arthur and John about how Dutch's plan makes no sense and showing he's losing his mind, the plan actually did work. Though of course it's completely hosed that he screwed over a native american tribe to do it

Spoiler wall sorry guys.

It works at a tremendous cost. Dutch destroys everything he had built, and most of the people he had "saved." And it only works insofar as the Pinkertons did not arrest the main members of the gang. Beforehand such a risky move would never have been considered by the gang because they were out to survive, not blow the entire gang up just for one score. Dutch's plan for "noise" does nothing since the Pinkerton's are in the know because of Micah anyway. The gang just succeeds because of Arthur, Abigal, and Sadie's actions killing Milton and robbing the train despite the Pinkerton trap being sprung.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

It's my new shirt

BillBear posted:

So, how did Arthur meet everyone's expectations? I was kinda expecting him to be a cold hearted, unlikable rear end in a top hat based on trailer 2 but that trailer couldn't have sold him more poorly looking back now. He's a pretty cool dude.

His character arc is fantastic and extremely well done, especially for rockstar

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

It's my new shirt

Hobo Clown posted:

And all the made up towns and states it takes place in, I suppose

Its confusing because in RDR they definitely refer to Liberty City, keeping it in the GTA universe. I get that they want to call New Orleans Saint Denis to not also have to name the river the Mississippi and maintain the fantasy geography, but the NYC mentions kinda mess all that poo poo up. Its weird and confusing.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

It's my new shirt

Does anyone have the hunting and chapter guide things handy? I neglected to save them

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

It's my new shirt

Anyone have a legendary pelt bug out? I skinned the moose, the white pelt is still on my horse, but the trapper only recognizes the antlers in my inventory. I tried carrying it to him and reloading the game, but nothing worked. How long does it take the trapper to recognize a pelt you dropped or lost?

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

It's my new shirt

DogonCrook posted:

No not everything is a spoiler dude im not tiptoing around your bizarre sensiblilities you take a hike.

Referencing endgame story poo poo is spoilers it's not hard

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

It's my new shirt

Aranan posted:

I'm a little confused on what I'm supposed to do with three star pelts. I know they're for crafting, but do I sell them to the trapper guy in Saint Denis? Or donate them to Pearson in camp? Are their inventories shared?

I've been just hunting whatever 3-star animals I come across and skinning them, thinking I'd get a stockpile of pelts for crafting later but it seems like I may have to just pick something and specifically track down the components for it. Otherwise I might sell the pelts to the wrong person and *whoops* can't craft.

They have separate inventories. Pearson can make you satchel space upgrades, so for most people that is the priority. He can also make cosmetic upgrades for the camp. The trapper is where you sell legendary pelts. You can also sell him various pelts to make a whole slew of clothing and outfits.

The game desperately needs a tracking feature, but in it's absence just write want you need down.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

It's my new shirt

Zaa Boogie posted:

Tell you what, it feels good to just need a panther pelt to craft all the satchel upgrades while in chapter 2.

To swim to that island west of Rhodes you have to be pretty buffed up in stamina. And I *still* needed to gold core and gold bar it just to make sure.

Also there's Alligator Snapping Turtles on that island, too. Too bad I didn't have my bow with me.

Your horse can swim and has much more stamina than you.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

It's my new shirt

Untrustable posted:

Hey I killed the legendary cougar and the mission made me take it to a butcher. Should I have bucked that and gone to the fur trader with it? I see he sells things that require a legendary cougar skin.

that was not the legendary if its the mission in the cave, thats just a rare one made for that

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

It's my new shirt

Bardeh posted:

I wasn't expecting there to be as much story stuff to do in the multiplayer, the missions look really cool. I'm watching a streamer do a bounty hunt mission - you get matched with randos (or presumably can do it with friends) and when they found the bounty everyone had the choice to kill or spare him, which the players voted on.

What story stuff is there? Watching streams and it seems like nothing other than randomized bounties and whatnot and pvp in cities. Them pulling gambling out of the game is lazy af too, i guess we need to buy shark cards for that or something

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

It's my new shirt

Tercio posted:

From the looks of it you can't do that.

Looooool

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

It's my new shirt

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

I just watched a pretty lengthy story mission with cut scenes and a plot twist and a moral choice that your group had to vote for.

I'm watching a guy start the online story and holy poo poo they did not even animate the characters facial expressions and it's another silent protagonist, so it's just you looking like an absolute idiot hahaha

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

It's my new shirt

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

You're right, it was always there. I guess our biggest complaint was that there was nothing to do and everything cost millions of dollars. Then they added more ways to make money, only to increase the value of cars/items. With each new expansion you needed at least $1 million or more to even start the new money making missions. Bunker, CEO, blah blah. Had to spend money to make money. Then had to play in a public lobby to actually make big bucks. Public lobbies on PC are full of hackers and people who want to watch the world burn. So making money was quite literally a chore. Took HOURS. We hated it. Easiest way to get the money was to spend real world money.

Anyway, I just want fun stuff to do out in the west is all. I grinded all the way to lvl 100 in Red Dead 1 to get me that Zebra donkey. Even back then, that was somehow more enjoyable than what GTAO became in the end.

It's gonna be even worse in rdr2 it looks like.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

It's my new shirt

Holy poo poo suvivalist challenge 1 can eat my rear end I've caught like 20 Rock bass, 15 chain pickers, 10 perch, and 2 loving bluegill, this is loving stupid

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

It's my new shirt

So what is the point of those world event when they just drop everyone into free roam together so the only result is getting your horse killed since that's what everyone targets, there is no upside at all

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

It's my new shirt

Veritas posted:

Has it been mention if progress from the online beta is going to be wiped when they release the final version?

no plans to, but they reserve the right to change poo poo. so if they heavily re balance something, you might lose a gun or whatnot so don't go overboard grinding

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

It's my new shirt

ShootaBoy posted:

Borrowed this from a buddy while she's out of town for the weekend. It's ok, but honestly the simmy elements are dragged down by the typical R* gameplay and halfassed ideas. Speaking of one, can I really entirely miss weapons while going through the story? Like, 'one chance, oops now you can literally never get that gun' kinda miss?

You can miss slightly buffed "rare" guns. You can't miss any of the normal guns, and after you customize them I'm not sure any of the rare ones are much better anyway.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

It's my new shirt

BizarroAzrael posted:

Finished the main game: Arthur was great, could understand why he stayed even if it was frustrating. From what the doctor said, would it have been possible for him to recover if he got to take it easy somewhere dry?

Anyway, was good how it involved you in the redemptive choices in chapter 6. Now to find out what would have happened if I went with John, seems like he was going away from all the interesting stuff.

And I'm just at the point in the epilogue where I think I get it. Abigail is tidily out of the way but John is doing his thing to buy the farm.

TB was not a 100% death sentence and people did survive it. Arthur being an outlaw prevented him from seeking out a sanitorium or whatever. The "dry air" stuff was pretty much meaningless since TB is a progressive bacterial infection. It was a common part of treatment at the time though, they put sanitoriums in the mountains in Europe for that reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

It's my new shirt

space uncle posted:

I tried to find panthers for about an hour yesterday, Southwest of Braithwaite and east of Lagras. The only time I actually found one was when some lady challenged me to a race and a panther chased us to the finish line. Good Quality Pelt. I did find the last Killer Clue and I think I managed to get sexually assaulted Pulp Fiction style by a redneck swamp person though so at least I have that going for me.

I tried waiting until night, I tried using cover scent,I tried leaving boar carcasses out, I tried using predator bait. This sucks.

Their spawns are only consistent in the forest south of braithwaite manor. Don't bother riding to lagras. Ride the road in the very south of the map, and it's really likely one will chase you at some point. Once you get one, camp there for 24 hours to reset the spawns.thsts how I got the kill 5 cougars challenge over in southern big valley.