Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I’m confused. I’m in the first town (Valentine) and did the mission where you find your lady friends. Afterwards I opted to explore the town and night time rolled around, the mission to return to them disappeared and my wagon isn’t there.

Figured I’d wait till morning to see if that was the issues and went to the hotel. It gives me the option to get a room but when I select it, it just grays out and didn’t take any of my money or give time the option to use a room.

Currently I have no objectives or anything. What am I missing here?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Is there a reason I can’t use the hotel though?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

This sucks. I'm just left in Valentine with no missions (or at least the ones I have are "unavailable" for reasons unknown) no transportation because I came by disappearing wagon, unless I want to steal a horse and get a bounty because my horse is all the way back at camp. No idea what the gently caress to do next.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Oxxidation posted:

i assume you just finished the mission with the girl in the hotel

javier's got a mission that will pop when the sun sets and will get you your horse back, but you'll have to sit tight for a bit

I did that and then chased a guy down for recognizing me, then gave the owner his horse back. There was a mission at the Saloon(?) which disappeared at sun down. Waited all night until morning and there's nothing available to do other than this bounty side mission, which I can only do if I steal a horse and piss off the town. Considering the hotel doesn't work I'm wondering if this is bugged or what.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Turned out my game was in fact bugged out.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Dang is there a mission connected to this house with the “last sermon” letter or or is this just some creepy rear end random spot?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

DrNutt posted:

Jesus why the hell does time have to pass so fast when I'm browsing at the General Store? Bought a new hat and some chaps and now it's midnight I guess.

Time passage seems really weird and abrupt in this game in general.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Fuzz posted:

The emergent quests in this are ridiculous.

Some random dude ran out on the road crying for help from a snake bite, so I sucked it out of his leg and promptly forgot about it. Several hours later, he's in town and yells to me, tells me to grab one free item from the gun shop, so I head in, shoot the poo poo with the clerk who basically makes fun of the guy but says the offer is good, and I grab the Springfield rifle and save myself 120 bucks. Come out to thank the guy, he gets pissed I picked something so expensive, then his friend tries to pick a fight with me, so I punch his rear end out. The snake bite guy tries to flee, trips and falls off the porch and knocks himself out on the horse hitch.

GotY 2018

Also I robbed a secret room and got a free Schofield Revolver, which I promptly made look like a ridiculous Victorian steampunk gun covered in brass engraving. Game rules.

I saved that guy but haven't ran into him again yet.

The one that cracked me up was some guy trying to get a thorn or something out of his horse's hoof. I hopped off my horse and said "hey partner can I help you out" which caught him by surprise and caused him to scream and startle his horse which kicked him in the head and killed him. Still have no idea if that was supposed to happen or if hosed something up.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

insane anime posted:

For starters, my calloused hands. Secondaly, the scars on my arms for tying barbwire fences to keep coyotes out from destroying everything my father worked for. Thirdly, the blood on my shirt from helping birth live cows. Fourth, my mother's corpse that I buried on the family plot. Good enough for you?

But I noticed that during the saddest and most troublesome times of my life,
there was only one set of footprints.
I don't understand why, when I needed You the most, You would leave me."

He whispered, "My precious child, I love you and will never leave you
Never, ever, during your trials and testings.
When you saw only one set of footprints,
It was then that I carried you.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

PancakeTransmission posted:

Yeah that literally happens to everyone, not sure if you can even prevent his death. That's the one that every reviewer/youtuber acted like "THIS IS NOT A SCRIPTED EVENT"

I would imagine if you ignore the events, you'll get them again later, but if you complete them, they're gone. I've already seen the same "totally not scripted" event twice but only because I didn't engage the first time.

I mean, who cares though? It's pretty entertaining and I'd have never known if I hadn't gone poking around the internet. Seems weird to be mad at the game for it.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Son of Rodney posted:

Jesus gently caress ok, the game can be mega annoying with the bounty and crime system. I wanted to go to saint denis and sell my fence stuff as well as a few pelts, but accidentally ran into some random dude on my horse. So naturally the entire loving town was now shooting at me, and I had to shoot a few lawmen following me to get away, which raised my bounty to double compared to before. Goddamn, all I wanted was to sell a few things you fuckers.

Every bounty I've had on me so far has been a result of me fumbling with the mega bloated control scheme.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I love the lantern in this game. The lighting is so good that it actually is super useful and makes me happy that night is actually dark in this game instead of a gray filter.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Allright, I'm confused by the wanted system. Super annoying that you automatically get a huge bounty for doing the jail break quest. Someone said you can just turn yourself in and the bounty will go away? How do I do that? Law enforcement just attacks on sight. Also, why am I "wanted dead or alive" in areas I haven't even visited yet?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Nolgthorn posted:

In blackwater? Have you paid attention to any of the storyline at all.

I haven't officially uncovered it? Is blackwater not far west of the starting camp?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

So I have any way of getting rid of this $300 bounty without paying or do I just have to deal with annoying rear end police until $300 isn't a ton of money for me in this game?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I can't figure out if this "Insane Anime" guy is a gimmick account or what.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Romes128 posted:

its southwest of the camp

it's not that far.

Ah, ok. Yeah that's it then. Didn't realize it was Blackwater.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Lol it’s always the biggest poopsockers that are the biggest haters.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I feel like I need to go out and explore more and do more busy work because I'm 20% done with the story and only played for like 6 hours. I'm also always broke. I just impulsively go from one yellow icon to the next. If I just ride off somewhere is there secondary story arcs to be found?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I'd like the wanted level stuff better if it was handled better. So far it's my least favorite part of the game because so much of it feels random or forced upon me and the roaming bounty hunters usually just kill me before I can fumble my gun out ot try to use the dialog tree. It usually just feels lie a huge annoyance running into them.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I tried to hunt a cougar and the result made me jump a little bit when it loving jumped out of a bush and mauled me to death. The animal animations are loving incredible. Like, I'm probably going to fixate on how bad they are in most games after playing this.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Babe Magnet posted:

Night time rules in this game, walking around outside of Rhodes at night reminds me exactly of I would play in the woods when I was a kid in southern Georgia. The only inaccuracies are that Arthur hasn't been completely consumed by mosquitoes yet and there isn't as much meth.

Yeah I really like it.

My first thought was "oh hey it's actually dark at night in a video game. Awesome. and it looks great too" which quickly turned to annoyance when I realized I couldn't see a drat thing and bounced back into awesome when I realized I had a lantern and it's super useful.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I feel dumb even having to ask this. BUt is there a way to pull the reigns on the horse to get it to stop with it awkwardly spinning around?

Also,, I really wish dead eye slowly regenerated. It’s dumb that it’s entirely based on consumables.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

ravenkult posted:

It does if your core isn't depleted

Ahhh.

Also I’m an idiot and figured out the answer to my first question by looking in the menu lol.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Oh hey what’s that over there? Probably nothing. Oh wait it’s a...taxidermy gorilla in a box wtf?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Why is the random combat literally 10 times harder than the story stuff? Like, I’m trying to take out this enemy hideout and it just seems ridiculously unreasonably hard.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I like virtually everything else about it but the controls in this game are really wearing on me. Like, they are just so bloated that it’s definitely are dragging the game down for me. There are just some functions you should not be double tasking to a button.

Maybe it’s on me, but I feel like I should not be this uncomfortable playing a game 8+ hours in. It’s giving me mega Witcher 3 flashbacks where I really liked the game but hated the controls so much I still felt painfully aware of them after 70 hours.

Also for that reason the permanence of events is super frustrating. Like, I was just having a shoot off with some Mexican guy and in between rounds I went to reload and oh, Arthur put his gun away cause he just does that whenever he wants, so instead of reloading I shoved the guy which aggroed him and caused him to start shooting me. I just let him kill me in the hopes of finishing the mission but he’s gone now, of course. I feel like that kind of poo poo happens way too much and it’s so frustrating.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

JBP posted:

I always gently caress up the controls because the contextual stuff isn't that great. Generally it's fine in missions and works great, but when you want to much around and rob people for instance, holding L2, pushing triangle, pushing up on the d-pad, firing a shot with R2, pushing up on the d-pad and it all resulting in a situation where shooting someone in the head would have been better is a bit annoying for those that want to do funny RP.

Then again I'm glad I have all the options. I reckon they could make it a little easier though.

Yeah, exactly. I don't mind them at all when I'm doing most of the story missions or when I'm just riding/running around doing low key stuff. But whenever I get into something out in the world, whether it's hunting, fighting groups of enemies or whatever it all goes to poo poo. Like, L2, oh wait I gotta hit R2 first so I can aim with L2, oh crap I need some tonics lets hang out in the menus for a bit, oh poo poo I'm dead/the prey got away. The feature bloat just totally ruins moments that would otherwise be cool.

If nothing else I think they massively hosed up by giving L2 too many functions , which is more than 1. It should draw your last equipped gun and that's it. They could have put all that other poo poo on any other button. And Melee should absolutely not share a button with reload and qte style things. Especially when the game decides on its own when Arthur is going to put his guns away. I kind of can't believe either of those made it through play testing.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

If you ditch your horse for another one found in the wild, do you lose it or will it show up at the stable?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I feel like I spend 50% of my time playing this game in awe of how cool the world is and how entertaining the story is, and the other 50% wanting to chuck my controller against the wall because I have never hated the control decisions in a game so much in my life. Never. The only thing that even comes close is the Witcher 3 and it was still like 5 times more intuitive than this game.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

What’s the point of the save system in this game? As far as I can tell it’s completely worthless.

I just bought a treasure map, then had to do something else so I saved and planned on trying to find it when I fired the game back up, but oh hey it’s not in my inventory anymore.

Other times I’ll reload an earlier save and it essentially just respawns me. I.e I’ll accidentally get a wanted level and reload, but when it loads the wanted level is still there, even though the save is from earlier. I really don’t get it at all.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

So if your horse dies and you can’t revive it before you die it’s just gone forever right?

God the bounty hunter encounters are just awful. I wish I could just turn this poo poo off. Everything about them is just so unfun and I always get wrecked and they always kill my horse.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Nov 5, 2018

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Dutch is kind of a princess.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Lunatic Sledge posted:

so, uh, having a high bounty early on is the most frustrating poo poo ever

I can't afford to pay it, I get ambushed pretty much all the time, anything I'm hauling on my horse disappears when I die and getting killed by bounty hunters doesn't make the bounty go away

I feel ya. It's awful.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Just had some dude challenge me to a friendly shooting contest in the middle of nowhere, apparently participating in it was disturbing the peace and a witness ran off to get the authorities. I lost the shooting contest and I payed the dude the $5 I owed him. Paying him his money caused him to aggro for some reason and it was just in time for authorities to show up and try to kill me for playing a mini game. Hail of gunfire. Good stuff, game.

If there is one thing I’m starting to learn it’s to never try and do anything because it’s always going to cause some jank that makes poo poo hit the fan.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

How do I get more clothing options to open up? I'm in chapter three and at least a dozen hours in and every shop just has the same meager options that the game started with. Also can I get a poncho in this one?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

It’s crazy how obnoxious the bounty hunters are.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

How do you turn yourself in to the cops when you have a bounty? I have been to the police station many times, tried and the cops don't give a flying gently caress that a wanted criminal came into the police station.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Man, I was all stoked that I found a guy selling bandoliers, and for a game with such attention to detail, they look stupid as gently caress. it's just hovering, static inches away from Arthur's body.

Also, where can I find a drat poncho in this game? Poncho was my jam in RDR1. I need to be the man with no name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

I can't play anymore tonight but can someone actually try lassoing someone in PVE? I can't believe they would allow that, the more I think about it (re: previous twitter video).

It's a beta right? I know that pretty much means glorified demo anymore, but that's still the type of thing they probably want to hear about from players before the final release, because that type of poo poo could become game breaking.