Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Diogines posted:

I played some of the older Grand Theft Autos and very much liked them, but I never played 4 or 5. I have heard some uh... things about 5 which has me cautious to try this game. So I have a few questions:

1. How important is the online element, if at all? Can it be ignored, is it actually good?
2. How important, if at all, are various pre-orders and microtransaction bullshit? I've no appetite, whatsoever, for buying a game a piece at a time.
3. Specifically, does the game have "shark cards" or whatever GTA5 has? Am I going to have to spend real life money or grind to get weapons or horses or something? I've not played GTA5 but what I heard about it is not flattering in that regard.
4. I never played RDR1. Do you think it would be worth while to grab PS Now or something and play it first? How much less do you think i'd enjoy the #2 without playing #1? I know it is a prequel but I assume it is full of plot threads and characters that tie to #1?

1.) not even available until like November sometime and completely optional, and nobody knows if it will be any good yet. Does not affect single player at all as far as I know.
2.) irrelevant for single player except for some barbie options and a gun/horse or something. Not at all important.
3.) irrelevant for single player, dunno yet for online but undoubtedly yes.
4.) this is a prequel with some characters and locations you'll recognize if you played RDR1 but it won't matter if you don't. You may miss some foreshadowing here or there for stuff that happens in RDR1 but it doesn't actually affect gameplay of this game, just neat little callbacks sometimes. Not knowing the future of some characters will let you have some dramatic tension when you're not sure if someone will die when the rest of us know they won't. That said, it wouldn't hurt to maybe read a summary, but you're not going to miss out if you don't. There's continuity here but it's backwards and not a large plot device supposedly.

Don't worry about online/shark cards if you're not interested. They are not at all required and are completely ignorable without affecting the single player game one bit. Plus it doesn't even exist yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Some super early game thoughts - I dawdled through about 2 hours and didn't get really anywhere because I kept going around talking to everyone at every opportunity, so I'm still in like the very beginning of the prequel. Specifically I just got back from shooting the O'Doyle Rules gang at their big camp. So, not at all far.

• So far I am not enamored with our playable character. He seems to have the personality of a slug and the only way I can differentiate when he's talking versus someone else is it sounds like the voice actor had something in his mouth the entire time. I am incredibly early in the game though so I am undoubtedly being unfair here. I guess I just wish he had a more recognizable voice right off the bat.
  • Playing on xbonex in 4K HDR, the graphics are really pretty, even if they are very same-y in the prequel. Snow effects are cool, similar to God Of War's, and I'm enjoying that. I'm looking forward to getting out of this area though.
  • The default controls are not great. At the very least turn on FPS controls, and look through the rest of the control options. I also recommend turning on Free Aim on foot, and leave it as lock-on for horseback. Still, expect to struggle with strangely sluggish and unintuitive controls for a bit. (Edit: This article has some good suggestions on settings and such. I think I agree with pretty much all of it.)
  • Outside of the main guy, voice acting is pretty good and the characters all seem to have pretty good personalities. I'm barely in and I already hate one person, which I think I'm supposed to.
  • Read the journal to get some backstory about how you got where you are. Worthwhile.
  • Walk around and talk to everyone you can, there's lots of interesting dialogue and little interactions that you can watch.
  • I turned most of the HUD off and have been using the companion app on iPad for map/radar/status etc. I left some other stuff on. I recommend this if you have a tablet and a place to set it that you can kind of see it while playing, although it's a bit confusing at first, maybe wait a bit to do it. You can always tap "down" on d-pad to get everything to show up on the screen anyways.

So yeah, despite not being anywhere, and even with a couple of those complaints, I'm enjoying it. A couple of my criticisms probably aren't exactly fair this early in the game where there hasn't been time to flesh things out, so I'm hoping it changes a bit. Working a half-day today so should get some more time in later.

Diogines posted:

Thank you very much for your answers Day Man and shortspecialbus. One more question.

Do you think it would be a "problem" for the story in any way to play RDR1 later? I had always planned to but never got around to it.

No.

ssb fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Oct 26, 2018

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Eyespy posted:

I’m not sure if it’s a bug or I’m an issue but I’m having a weird time with some of the special weapons.

There was an early mission with wolves and a shotgun where R2 simply would not do anything on PS4. I got eaten by wolves a lot.

Then later when you first use the lasso it worked perfectly the first time, but I had to do the mission again because I dumped the captive in a campfire for giggles. After that, no matter what I did I could not make the lasso work despite the onscreen prompt telling me to press R2

All other gunplay has been fine. Anyone with a similar issue?

It's the weird lock-on thing. Basically you hold R2 and as soon as your crosshair crosses the wolf it will automatically fire. It's rear end backwards until you get used to it. Same goes for Lasso. There's a control option about it you can toggle. See This link for some more info.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Eyespy posted:

That is weird. Thanks.

I'm not sure I'm describing the procedure 100% accurately so keep that in mind. It's something along those lines though.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Thank you. Can confirm that it's spoiler-free.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Calaveron posted:

So would I need to set my secondary account as primary play it on my actual main account? What about all the digital games I've bought on my actual primary account :psyduck:

Why would you buy a game on a secondary account? :psyduck: Unless it's like a family member/roommate's account I guess.

The way it works is whatever games are in the Library of the "Primary Account" on the PS4 can be played by any/all users on the console regardless of if they have PS+ or are just local accounts or whatever. Any games owned by other accounts can only be played when logged in as those accounts. My wife and I have two PS4s and two xboxes and we're each primary on one. We tend to buy games that we'll both want to play but not at the same time (i.e. no multiplayer) as discs to avoid this issue so that we're not stuck on whichever console the person bought it on. But if I'm logged into "her" PS4 I can play all my games so long as they're downloaded. She just can't unless she bought them too, which is only the case for multiplayer ones.

If you're one person with multiple accounts I don't know why you would do that.

I'm not sure how many times you can change which account the primary is on the console before you need to contact support. I know xbone only allows a couple changes before you need to contact support and ask them to allow you to do more.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Calaveron posted:

When I first made my PSN account I was living in a different country. When I moved to the US and got different debit and credit cards I could not buy stuff on the PSN store because the billing address was in a different country. Up until relatively recently I could still use US PSN cards to buy stuff on my original account but either something changed or I screwed up because now it won't let me so I created a new account on the same ps4 with my actual current address to buy poo poo with

Ah, that makes sense. I'm sorry I doubted you :negative:

I'm not sure what you can do about this - you could try contacting PSN support but I don't think they're going to do a lot to help you. If you always want to play games with the account that doesn't have this, just set the other one to primary and then you'll be able to play all your games on your desired account since it'll have both access to the older games on its own library as well as the newer ones on the secondary account. The downside is you'll need to switch user every time you turn the drat system on. Sort of. If I'm playing one of my "owned" games on my wife's PS4 and I put the PS4 to sleep, it'll power back on as her, but if I go back to the game that was suspended, it'll be where I left it as me and you won't need to switch accounts.

For games that aren't suspended you'll have to though. It's not too terrible of a process but could get annoying fast.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

where do i get my preorder guns???!!!

Gun store in the first town you come to after the prequel. Look in the catalog. They're $0.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Pakistani Brad Pitt posted:

I have no idea if that's a lot of money in this series. maybe not worth stressing over, or maybe I'll just autistically refuse to spend my last $200 until I'm past the money curve :downs:

It's not a huge amount of money. It'll buy you like one medium-priced gun.

Speaking of guns, which ones do people like?

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

How much progress do you lose if you die to, say, a loving enormous unkillable pack of highly intelligent and coordinated wolves after you've been hunting and gathering pelts, harvesting herbs, and grabbing random loose items for 45 minutes? As far as I can tell, I lost 100% of that.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Another question - is there any way to get to where I can draw a bow for more than about a second before my feeble cowboy muscles make my aim go flying around the screen? Is there any way in general to make aim less shaky, especially with a bow, even before it strains his poor muscles?

Also how do I stop ruining perfect pelts? I thought headshots with a bow would do it but they're all getting knocked down a star as soon as I kill the animal.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

I am getting so loving frustrated that it's impossible to do almost anything without getting a bounty.

Standing on the side of the trail talking to some guy who wants a ride (and was probably going to steal my horse.) Some other guy on a horse comes by, decides i'm in his way, and starts shooting at me. I shoot him back. The guy I was talking to shoots me, so I shoot him back. Some other guy on the trail rides by and I get a "MURDER WITNESS" notification. I try to get him to not turn me in, he won't, so I shoot him in the head. Another person comes by and gets away before I can figure out where he want and I have an enormous bounty. All I did was stand and talk to someone.

Reload a save.

Go into Valentine. Park my horse at a hitching post. A stagecoach starts screaming that I'm in his way despite being parked. Sheriff runs out of the building and starts shooting at me along with the rest of the town.

Reload a save.

Decide to go hunting. Two lawmen carrying a prisoner in a wagon drive by and start shouting at me. I try to defuse and move away, they decide I took too long and start shooting me. I run away and end up with a bounty anyways.

Turn the game off for a while.

I know bounties aren't the end of the world and all but it's loving tiresome that doing absolutely nothing anywhere near other people runs a high risk of you getting either killed or thrown in jail. They need to patch it to lighten the gently caress up. I'm mostly enjoying the game but this poo poo is getting really really loving tiresome.

Edit: Also as far as I can tell the Bandana only protects you from being arrested for stealing a can of soup. Stealing a wagon still ends up with a witness or two you need to try to chase down and ultimately get a bounty since you can't seem to do anything except shoot them in the head if you're on a wagon since the usual options for witnesses don't seem to exist, and if you're anywhere near a road, the wide open west apparently has a population density similar to New York City so you're guaranteed more witnesses to deal with.

ssb fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Oct 28, 2018

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

SnoochtotheNooch posted:

Wow you're really stupid and bad at this game lmao

I won't argue that but it's not exactly constantly with this. It tends to happen in spurts, like I'll play for 6 hours with no issues and then I'll have an hour of that kind of bullshit.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Soonmot posted:

Does bringing back a body matter if you have the meat in your inventory from skinning?

If you leave the body on your horse and go to Pearson you can donate the entire body. It'll be like the last item of the donatable things.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Qubee posted:

same exact poo poo happens to me, when the game is being good, it's incredibly good. but then all of a sudden, things take a swing and nonstop bullshit keeps happening. I've personally never had people get angry at me for blocking them, and the few times it does happen, I defuse and move out the way and it turns out okay. you might be super slow with your reaction times which is why they're popping you full of holes.

but yeah, it's so frustrating when lovely things keep happening that feel out of your control. I've ragequit the game a fair few times even though I'm so in the mood to play it. the random bullshit just ruins it.

When I'm paying attention I'm quick with the "defuse" reaction. If I'm looking the wrong way because I'm in the process of hitching up my horse and there's a lot of people around, the odds of it locking on to the correct person when I hold left trigger to get the defuse option is low, which is what happened with the stagecoach in town. The one where I was hunting I don't know what happened, it was maybe a super short window or I didn't hear the first time he said it because I was looking around for a 3 star squirrel in eagle vision. The one where I was talking to the dude the defuse option just didn't work, I did it, told him to calm down or some poo poo, and he drew and started firing :shrug:

Most of the time it works fine. I think I just had bad luck where I ran into 3 rear end in a top hat AIs in a row. I should say I'm not having this problem most of the time - it's just really noticeable when it happens a bunch in a row like that or when I'm just trying to quietly get somewhere for some reason without causing a ruckus.

I still like the game but it has the same problem GTA5 did where it's almost impossible to be a law abiding citizen because proximity to other people is a lethal offense.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Yeah omniscient lawmen and even witnesses who see me do poo poo nowhere near them are annoying sometimes. I'm trying to do a playthrough as largely a paragon of virtue except when I'm in a mission that requires otherwise so it's not coming up a lot, but I expect that when I do my Rootin' Tootin' playthrough it'll be a thing.

I will say that while the controls are still hot garbage I've gotten pretty used to them and aside from LT occasionally locking onto the wrong person for "defuse" they're OK.

Deadeye mode really needs the "Press R1/RB to tell it where to shoot" option that you get from main quest to be useful though.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WaveLength posted:

Press circle to lenny

LENNY?
?YMMEL
¿⅄NNƎ˥
LMELNLY?

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Gumball Gumption posted:

Here's a good example, can I not rob closed stores? As far as I can tell the game just lets me jiggle the handle and tells me the store is closed. If I'm playing a rootin tootin cowboy can't I kick down the door, consequences be damned?

You can try pressing circle/B to kick a locked door but it doesn't work on all of them. There won't be a prompt or anything - you can always seem to kick but it doesn't always open.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Gumball Gumption posted:

It looks like that doesn't work on shops? I can kick other doors but it doesn't respond for shops.

Ok. I hadn't tried shops. Sorry!

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Deified Data posted:

Can anyone explain in a bit more detail how camp donations work? Like what purpose those reserves serve?

You use them for upgrades from the ledger that give you various benefits. The money for those comes out of camp funds, and if there's not enough in camp funds but there is in your wallet, the balance will come out of your wallet.

Do the "First Things First" upgrade for Dutch's quarters first since it'll make everyone else donate more. Which still won't be much. Other ones that I think are useful early on are the Leather Tools so that Pearson can do crafting for you, ammo cart upgrades which will let you refill multiple ammo types and Arthur's quarters, which will give you fast travel. You'll need to spend money to refill the ammo and medicine I think, while food will fill up from you bringing food to the camp most. I'm not 100% on that mechanic.

You won't be able to do the ledger stuff I mentioned until you've collected at least one debt for Ze German. Try to make sure you have at least $220 or something like that in the kitty at the time so that you can immediately upgrade Dutch's quarters since it'll force you to upgrade something right off the bat.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

tjones posted:

Walk into the sheriff's office and antagonize the deputies. Surrender as soon as they draw guns on you otherwise they'll kill you and the warant will still be active when you respawn.

You can also start a big stree brawl and then surrender when the law gets called as long as you are careful not to pull guns or have anyone shoot at you.

You can also surrender to the roving lawmen bounty hunters.

Note that if your bounty is too high you can't surrender I'm pretty sure.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

insane anime posted:

77 hours? I did it all much less than that. It helps if you are actually good at video games, and know how to use your time efficiently instead of doing retarded stuff that doesn't amount to any trophies.

source your quotes

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

I'm fine with the pacing, I got mostly used to the controls and aside from some weirdness here and there, they're fine.

The one thing that bugs me is just that it's sometimes hard to just be a normal person, which is a thing i like to do sometimes in rockstar games. Just mind my own business and just enjoy Valentine or something. Talk to people, walk around, buy poo poo, etc. But that gets blown apart when while in the animation to hitch my horse to a post, which can take a bit of time if he needs to jiggle the horse just into the right spot, a carriage decides that the parking spot is in its way and yells and screams so much that before I'm able to lock onto the right person to try to defuse after having to wait out the hitching post animation, the sheriff comes barreling out of the building and shoots me in the head.

It's pretty hilarious when it's a one-off here and there but it can be frustrating when crap like that happens multiple times in a row. I made a big whiny post about it earlier. But it's the sort of poo poo I just want to vent about occasionally, not return my copy or any sort of weird poo poo like that.

All in all, game is good, and that stuff is largely pretty minor as far as things go. I'm dawdling a ton and just enjoying the world.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Wizard of Wang posted:

I think it's probably a few little GLI chest then, I personally have found it easy to go about doing normal things, just don't run so much, think about reality if you run into people you are good ng to start a fight.

Thing is I'm not running, that's the problem. I'm hitching my standing-still horse to a hitching post. Or standing still in a conversation with some guy who wants a ride on my horse on a trail in the middle of the woods. Or just standing still on the side of the road listening to conversations when someone plows into me.

poo poo that happens when I bonk into them with my horse or whatever I can understand, I don't get worked up about that.

quick edit: seriously I don't get that worked up about it, especially when it's a one-off here and there. I got super frustrated that one time because it was like 4 things in a row back-to-back and the only one I could really have done anything about was move off the trail to look for elks with my binoculars so that the prisoner carriage wouldn't have been right there and I could have stopped looking through the binoculars when they started yelling, I thought they'd surely just go past. The rest of the things were all stuff that had to be done right at that exact spot and I was standing still for all of them. It was just bad luck. It's not happening constantly.

Bardeh posted:

Is there any reason not to use split point bullets? They cost nothing to craft and don't seem to have any drawbacks compared to normal bullets.

I can't remember if it's a 1:1 crafting ratio but if it is, the downside is crafting time. So if that doesn't bug you, just sit in front of a pretty sunset at a camp and mash button until all your bullets are split. They're definitely worthwhile, especially early on, since they slow your deadeye meter.

ssb fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Oct 29, 2018

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Wizard of Wang posted:

Maybe it's because I am getting older that I enjoy the deliberate pacing and the crafting one at a time, maybe R* will patch that though.

I think what he means is it's fine for you to enjoy it, I'm enjoying it too, but I don't think that people who maybe enjoy a bit faster pacing are wrong or anything. I would guess he is specifically pointing out where you said that anyone who doesn't share your opinion about the pacing is wrong :shrug:

w/e though.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

You also get the various skid stops and skid turns as you increase your Horse Pat Level

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Over There posted:

I wish rockstar would allow custom button layouts so people would shut up about their control preference not being met

I'd kind of like that too but I think the larger problem is that buttons have wildly different uses pending context, like if you're trying to mount your horse with Y/Triangle but there's someone nearby and the game decides that you're actually facing them and not your horse, you'll start strangling a random person and it can kind of go from there as seen in this reddit post: https://v.redd.it/v79errfv10v11/DASH_4_8_M

There's a few other controls like that where you're trying to do one thing but you instead club someone with your weapon or whatever. It can be pretty funny tbh but frustrating at the same time.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Over There posted:

I'm assuming that's the point that its press and hold instead of a single press. Gives you a chance to stop.

Sometimes you have to make sacrifices for having a poo poo ton of interactions.

Yeah, I know. I just feel there are some inconsistencies here and there, plus using "X/Square" as the "cancel/defuse" rather than the "B/Circle" that's used for cancel in almost every other game on the planet is a bit counterintuitive and takes time to adjust to.

That said I'm probably 20 hours into the game and the controls really aren't bothering me anymore so it's not like it's an impossible control scheme, just a bit confusing and unintuitive.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Can't you look over the horses to see your options before you decide to sell him? I think it really only existed to let you get your preorder/special edition horses and you were supposed to keep him otherwise.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Unfortunately, I was only able to play for probably an hour over the weekend. My 1-hour thoughts:

- The controls are loving confusing.

On the first lasso mission, I brought the dude back to camp and my son told me to throw him on top of the fire, so I did exactly that. We both died laughing when the dude actually caught on fire, died, and made me restart the mission. Good stuff.

Game looks great, but the controls are something else.

Your son is a good kid.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Hobo Clown posted:

I found a cool sombrero up in the mountains. How do I get to keep it? I wore it back to camp, but it didn't get added to my wardrobe options.

I'm curious about this too, anyone know how to get found hats to be permanently available? Or is it not possible?

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

euphronius posted:

Spoilers on rams

Is that strategy guide worth getting? I'm considering running into town to get the collector's edition because it looks nice and I want things like that but it's $40. What are your overall thoughts on it?

Edit: I see the digital version in the companion app is $10. Is it the same poo poo just digital?

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

euphronius posted:

The digital has a very nice and easy to use table of contents

But it’s a lot of info for a phone screen so :shrug:

I have it on an ipad pro and i've been using it for my radar/map in game with the HUD turned mostly off and it's been fine for that so I suspect it'd be fine on the ipad. I wish the app would work on my Pixelbook though, I'd rather have it there.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

euphronius posted:

Yeah I’m probably going to steal my sons iPad

If he would ever stop playing mindcraft.

I decided $10 was good enough to say "gently caress it" and get it. If anyone has any specific questions about it let me know. I won't be able to comment how it looks on a phone though as the only iOS device I have is the 2016 iPad Pro.

Edit: My initial take on this is that I'm happy I have it, it's explaining some game mechanics that I didn't really understand at all and didn't find the manual all that helpful on. Also having map locations for random poo poo is a thing I like. I dig exploration and I love doing it but sometimes I'm in a hurry for something for some dumb reason and I also don't like missing a bunch of content because I wasn't good enough at exploring.

ssb fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Oct 29, 2018

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

euphronius posted:

Maybe

They probably don’t want people to feel compelled to game the system for rewards tho and farther just “play naturally”

Who knows. Why have it at all then.

Having positive and negative rewards for both playstyles encourages exactly that though. Right now if you want rewards you can't just "play naturally" you need to play a Lawful Good playstyle. It seems dumb to me. Like you should at least get "50% higher prices from the fence" to counter "50% discount at stores" or some poo poo.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Before you unlock the ability to select where to shoot with deadeye, where it's still auto-X'ing spots for you as you drag your cursor over someone, I've shot a couple people where they had no head, arms, or legs remaining as I basically just magdumped into them with the volcanic pistol.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Julius CSAR posted:

I just got this game last and got through the part where you find John on the mountain. '

Probably gonna be playing it online soon so any Xbox One goons feel free to hit me if I'm online

GT: CASTLE BR4V0

Just to make sure you're not about to be in for disappointment, there is no online mode yet. Unless you just wanted to be in party chat or something while playing single player you're not going to be playing RDR2 online for about a month.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

ravenkult posted:

Are there any real cool horses?

The one scripted scene with the horse that kicks its owner in the head had a pretty loving decent horse, miles better than the $150 I bought. Of course I can sell it for $3.

There are 3 "rare" horses. Two are in fixed locations (white arabian and a tiger mustang or something) and the third is a specific color pattern on some other horse that shows up at random stranger camps and you'll probably need to kill the owner to capture it. I forget the specific name of the latter two, but I went and captured the white arabian yesterday and it is awesome and good.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Gay Horney posted:

I tried to get the white Arabian but it bucked me off then vanished into the fog without leaving any loving tracks :rolleyes:
Didn't respawn at the original location and isn't in the neighborhood even after I camped far away and came back.

Reaaaaalllly not looking forward to riding back to the rear end end of nowhere to try to get him again.

Supposedly it will respawn after 3 in-game days. While you're over there, get the legendary bison and save yourself a trip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

BobKnob posted:

How do you access wardrobe from your horse? I am getting tired of constantly losing my hats.

LB/L1 to open the menu, RB/R1 over to "Horse", then the bottom one will let you R2 through your stored outfits. Lower right will let you cycle through stored hats. Let go of LB/L1 while holding RS in the direction, same as everythign else with that menu.