Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:
I'm in Chapter 2 and just finished the satchel!

It didn't take too long but I threw all hunting conventions out the window and just rode around one shotting the 3 star animals I needed with improved arrow/varmint rifle from the back of my horse as they ran away. Seemed like the most efficient way especially if you get the Legendary Buck trinket and tame the white Arabian horse first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

space uncle posted:

I tried to find panthers for about an hour yesterday, Southwest of Braithwaite and east of Lagras. The only time I actually found one was when some lady challenged me to a race and a panther chased us to the finish line. Good Quality Pelt. I did find the last Killer Clue and I think I managed to get sexually assaulted Pulp Fiction style by a redneck swamp person though so at least I have that going for me.

I tried waiting until night, I tried using cover scent,I tried leaving boar carcasses out, I tried using predator bait. This sucks.

The panther never spawned for me in the east of Lagras location, but as soon as I tried Old Harry Fen (that forest area southeast of Braithwaite) and ran zig zags through it with my horse, I saw the red dot pop up on the minimap so quickly auto-aimed my bow at the creature and skewered it with an improved arrow. Perfect Panther pelt. :D

I recommend also saving before you enter the forest so that if you find it and you don't get a perfect pelt, reload the save and it may spawn as pristine next time around. Saves alot of time.

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

Wow those treasure hunts really give a crazy amount of $. I upgraded the entire camp completely, mostly just from one treasure chest and I'm only in Ch2 lol.

Hobo Clown posted:

Are "complete" entries required for 100% or for any other bonus? I have a couple legendaries that somehow committed suicide so I have their compendium entries but I'll never actually get to kill one.

You need to kill 5 legendary animals for the 100% completion achievement (you can see the 100% checklist in the menu). But legendary animal kills aren't needed for anything else as far as I know (not even for the study & skin all animals achievements). They just provide materials for useful trinkets & cosmetic clothes.

I assume since the animals died they are now crossed out on your map? In which case I also assume you got credit for it in the checklist.

Nice. The one I got was standing completely still out in the open NW of Strawberry. I think it was drinking from the stream running alongside the road. They definitely aren't as elusive as the panther.

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

Commie NedFlanders posted:

Idk how much time I’ve wasted trying to do this. I go out hunting a lot but over half of the time when I have some great pelts I end up dying somehow dumb before getting it back to the trapper

Make sure you save after you get a Perfect Pelt and also you should be handing them into Pearson at your base camp if you want the 99 item slot satchel (the Trapper is for cosmetics and challenge-related equipment upgrades).

And of course you should pretend you're Tom Hardy because what's a life without pelts? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yveQv7RsEE4&t=45s

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

Haha, while getting one of those companion items, a rancher shot at me for trespassing while he was standing near a pig sty.

I head shotted him and to my surprise his pigs proceeded to eat his body. Love small details like this!

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

KoRMaK posted:

You can also feed bodies to Gators. Mind you, not the ones sunbathing, they are resting. You feed them to ones you can't see, they are in waste deep water in the bayou. They'll come up and snatch the body.

Cool. I also like how if you stick around after a mission where you had a big shootout you can watch the Lawmen come and pick up all the bodies. Reminds me of the paramedics in GTA.

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

If I sell a legendary carcass to the trapper do I still keep the item I need to get a trinket or should I skin it first?

Edit: The answer is yes, I got money and the antler back when I sold it.

The trapper also magically gets the animal parts if you happen to kill the legenndary animal but lose its carcass (e.g. if you were to die soon after).

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

I've wanted horsehats since RDR1 and it's especially egregious now that hats are all separate clothing items.

It'd be good if they had horse blinders like Witcher 3 so your horse doesn't panic as easily (looking at you white Arabian).

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

I'm up to Chapter 4 now but I got pickpocketed so I caught & hogtied the thief and realised I was standing outside the police station. So I figured hey why not carry the criminal in to it and see what happens. But... apparently a witness thought I was kidnapping the dude so I had to promptly dump him in the street and split before the cops showed up. :(

turtlecrunch posted:

It isn't really dynamic or anything, the main story goes the way it goes regardless of what you do. The ending has slight flavor differences based on what end of the honor scale you are at I think, and then you do get to make one significant mission choice in that chapter.
Otherwise you occasionally get to choose stuff like "throw dynamite at them" vs. "sneak up and shove a knife up their spine" which has no real story implications.

Some of the 'vision' cutscenes have different animals too. At the end of one mission if you're high honour you see an elk but if you're low honour then you see a wolf instead or something.

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

Debate Me Please posted:

Yeah that's Micah, he's kind of an rear end in a top hat

Given how they're going for realism it feels strange how in that mission (and other ones like it) you virtually wipe out a generation of the town's men yet when you come back after the lockdown it's like nothing happened and the sheriff is all happy.

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

Butch Otter posted:

but they're lazy

should have worked through christmas

Edit: Rockstar are already under the microscope for a culture of crunch, so are probably taking it easy on their workers for now.

Fanatic fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Jan 11, 2019

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

freeranger posted:

Wouldn't be a rockstar game without me getting a bug preventing me from getting 100% completion.

Happened in GTAV and now in this. Finished the last step of the hunting quests and mailed off the items but I've got the bug that a lot of others have where it just sits there saying it's been sent.

Less than pleased by that.

No backup saves? I always end up using like 10 save slots for games like these, which I stagger across chapters incase of game breaking bugs.

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Oh poo poo there's crawfish in the game. Although they call em crayfish cause they are a buncha goddamn carpetbaggers.

Also the holes are too big but still, I love I'm still finding poo poo in the game even now.

If you do Pearson's activity in Chapter 4 camp he takes you crayfish hunting as well as Alligator egg stealing.

Inspector Hound posted:

Yeah go for the varmint rifle over the small game arrows, I've never gotten a one hit kill with the stupid things and every time you fire one it represents time spent shooting, retrieving, and plucking birds, and then creating the arrow. I've used the varmint rifle to get perfect hides on snakes, squirrels, beavers, etc, totally sound.

The buck trinket is the key I think

Yeah, hunting without the buck trinket is a fool's errand.

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

a peck of pickled peckers posted:

Every time I’ve found a perfect moose, I haven’t been looking for it. Now I have one more outfit set to get from the trapper, and guess what the last ingredient is.

“Hello good animals, just passing through, definitely NOT looking for any moose ha ha ha carry on!”

There's a theory that RDR2's animal spawns work on the same cycles as GTAV's car spawns, where you'll encounter certain species either more often or more rarely depending on the current spawn cycle.

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

This was probably already mentioned, but I just encountered a bug where if you pick up a cigarette card after completing the card quest, it can reopen the quest causing it to be forever stuck in your log. Luckily I had a recent save to fall back on.

Also holy hell is it hard to find American Robins. I ended up finding two spawn on that tiny island west of Braithwaite Manor but man was that annoying.

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

The Butcher posted:

I kinda feel it fits Arthur's voice better too.

Always seems weird to me seeing videos where he's well groomed and fancy looking with that voice.

Could just be because I let him go full mountain man for my whole playthrough though. :shrug:

I played as a mountain man up until Saint Denis where it felt too out of place.

Now my Arthur wears the Deauville outfit and the facial hair to go with it to make him look like Tom Hardy from Taboo:

Looks real slick when paired with gold-plated weapons and the Gambler equipment upgrades. :wotwot:

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

clockworx posted:

I did the same thing. I was zipping through the main missions to chapter 4 but then realized I wanted to do everything else, so i started over and mostly explored and hunted, and then going back to missions when I need to switch up.

It's not a bad idea to zip through the missions until you unlock everything. Hunting requests and the Exotics quests are ones that come to mind since those are things you can keep an eye out for while doing other stuff (finding dinosaur bones, cave paintings etc).

But I wouldn't start Exotics until you have Herbalism 9 (find all plants) in progress, otherwise you'll end up having to find the exotics all over again since they don't count retroactively.

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

Snowy posted:

Post game finally.

I feel like I wasted my kindness on strangers howdying a million people as Arthur, I was close to maxed on honor no matter how many atrocities I committed. Now I’m John and solidly in grey hat range again after all that work :smith:

Easiest way to max honor is to pick the 'good options' for the Strauss missions in ch6. No howdying necessary!

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

Finally finished the epilogue after spending time doing the busywork and man, the feels in the credits. :(

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

abigserve posted:

A perfect case for that is the first playthough, I ignored the first stranger mission in valentine, the one that starts an entire chain of awesome missions, because I saw the grey ? and assumed oh, that's probably some lameo side mission, I'm not interested in that right now. Literally every time, in my second play through, I've stopped because something looked interesting, it turned out to be worthwhile and cool.

Everybody knows you should clear the grey ?'s before proceeding to the next yellow ?. What's wrong with you dude

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:woop: Finally finished the 100% completion. Don't think I could've done it without the guides and maps found online as well as some Netflix to get me through the more mundane things it made me do (looking at you Gambler 8).

Timeless Appeal posted:

I feel like they thought players would be throwing back food constantly for health bonuses during firefights and that never really happened.

Honestly, I very rarely used my inventory during firefights.

I completed the 70 gold medal achievement as I played through and quite often eating food wasn't even an option due to the 'complete mission without any health items' requirement. Certainly chewed alot of tobacco to get all those headshots and accuracy % requirements though!

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

bobjr posted:

Cutscenes apparently count, so a lot of them are meant to be played again. I was wondering why so many missions felt like they had insanely short time limits

You'd think that but they don't! Time stands still during cutscenes but doesn't slow down when using deadeye, so sometimes you'll fail that objective if you spam deadeye too much. There are atleast 2 missions where skipping a cutscene breaks the time requirement but otherwise skipping them is fine.

Also if you die or fail in a mission then that often causes time, headshots and accuracy objectives to automatically fail. Meaning you have to restart the mission from the start.

Anti-Hero posted:

Yeah, that sucks.

Yeah I really hope Rockstar patch that. A lot of the objectives are virtually impossible using stock gear which is why you're better off going for gold medals as you play through the game, or just starting a new save and getting them that way.

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

clockworx posted:

Has anyone done the full Algernon Wasp mission (Duchesses and other animals) before the epilogue? From reading online, there's sometimes a bug where the orchids don't appear, but I also see people saying that some of the exotics - specifically the lady slipper orchid at the lumber camp site don't appear until the epilogue. The online videos appear to always hit that one, so I was trying to figure out if I truly had to wait on this one or if my game has a bug.

I completed it fine in chapter 6, but there are some confusing quirks that people think are bugs when they really aren't.

For starters, the orchids don't appear at all until you have activated the quest and secondly if you collect orchids in advance before you're up to the part of the quest that requires them then the game will limit you so that there's 1 left (e.g. if you need 10 you'll be stuck at 9/10). This limit makes those orchids "disappear" from the game temporarily until you're up to that part of the quest. Then you just need to collect the 10th one and you're done.

Also, if you're going for 100% then also make sure you have Herbalism 9 (collect all herbs) active before starting the quest so you don't have to waste time later collecting them all again later. ;)

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

If you hate the 3 star animal system like I do then you can also save-scum to keep the pelt on your horse and load it if you die.

You can also save/load when encountering a 1 star animal to respawn it as a 3 star animal and in some cases save/loading can even make an animal respawn as a different variation (like, turn a Panther into a Florida Panther). Useful if you want to complete the compendium or get those study & skin every animal achievements/trophies. ;)

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

Hobo Clown posted:

I can't see it ever having the legs that GTAV had because of the setting. RDRO has a beautiful crafted world but sometimes you just want to motorcycle stunt jump into a airport hangar so you can crash a stolen plane into a ferris wheel.

Maybe they should've kept Red Dead 2 as a single player game (it's definitely long enough to warrant it) and added a Wild West themepark to GTAO that turns a patch of desert into a town with period guns & outfits for people to have their cowboy shooties in.

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

Yates posted:

I had the same kind of thing with the Professor I did the first couple quests with Arthur but after that every time it would pop up I couldn't make it to him in time for the next part. I'd drop everything and race up to his lab and by the time I got there the quest marker would be gone and I wouldn't be able to enter. I camped out there for days on end and still nothing, finally I said gently caress it and "finished" the game. Later with John I went up there and I was able to open the door and the Professor was dead. John says "Oh Professor..." like he's sad or some poo poo. He doesn't have any loving idea who this dude is, only some scribbles in a book from almost a decade before.

That's actually the only outcome for that quest though and Arthur says the same thing. There's 3 parts to the quest, the 3rd being discovering his corpse and it doesn't matter whether you do it after the epilogue or not.

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:siren: There's 10 gold bars on offer for RDO (and $ for GTAO) if you enable 2-factor authentication on your Social Club account: https://socialclub.rockstargames.com/events/UUc9x2FW/double-gta-and-rp-in-top-fun/1

generic one posted:

Coulda sworn I remembered them turning yellow after I made a purchase at the ledger, so I looked it up: Red is low, white is OK, yellow is well-stocked. Haven't hung around camp long enough to see if anyone actually takes tins of beans or boxes of shotgun shells, but I like to imagine they do. :3:

Well that just blew my mind. I played through the entire game thinking that yellow was low lol.

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

ICMB posted:

I just tried to set this up, because hey, free gold, and social club won't accept it. Classic.

I got it to work with Microsoft Authenticator. They only accept these authenticators: https://support.rockstargames.com/articles/360000031787/2-Step-Verification-Authenticator-Apps-for-Use-with-Social-Club

Then just scan the 2FA QR code with the app and quickly put in the number it generates along your Social Club password. I guess double check your PSN/XBL account is linked to Social Club first.

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

It took a couple of days but I received my 10 gold bars for setting up 2FA for Social Club. Definitely recommend doing it since money is such a grind.

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

jase1 posted:

Still on my second play through and just saw a little dialogue I haven’t seen before.

A dog comes into camp and Dutch gives jack a little lesson about not being wanted by anyone else and they name him Cain and now he is the camp dog. I pet that fucker for like 10 mins.

How did you even avoid getting Cain the dog in your first playthrough?

Hobo Clown posted:

"Defensive Playing Style" sounds interesting but like... just add passive mode. They're way over complicating this.

It works for me. It's like a cowboy roleplay enforcer that doesn't completely split you off from the population as being a passive ghost does.

I guess it's not ideal if you purely only want to hunt & fish alone and not get involved in random shootouts occasionally.

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

ZeusCannon posted:

If it releases epic games store im just gonna start laughing really loving hard

:same:

It'd be worth it for the meltdowns alone, like they're currently having over Borderlands 3. :allears:

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

Mr. Crow posted:

Wait where are they I didn't know they existed

There's an achievement/trophy to visit them all. ;)

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

Jimbot posted:

New RDO update

Poker, ponchos, new missions, new gun, new clothes.

That's a huge update. Some other things I like is that they added free-roam defensive mode, removed auto-aim headshots, removed PvP daily quests and increased gold payouts.

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

I'm finally playing through the Land of Opportunity story missions to take advantage of the 25% XP boost. They're pretty fun and easy since you have 4 people, but aren't much more than shoot 'em ups.

Also I'm liking the Defensive Mode. Some random walked up to me and headshotted me for no reason and I didn't take much damage at all. :)

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

Mandrel posted:

yeah it doesn’t matter what carcass it is. you just throw whatever it is on your horse, shoot it in the head and it creates a poor quality duplicate. then when you go to the butcher and sell the original perfect quality whatever it is it immediately reappears in your inventory but you keep the money

it is comically easy and broken

I think they've hotfixed it now :( oh well, good while it lasted.

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

Terra-da-loo! posted:

Very nice.

Off-topic: I want to sign up for the two-step verification thing, but I don't have my Social Club pw nor the pw for the email account I used to sign up for it (I am an idiot and was writing my complicated-ish pws down on paper and hiding them, but then had a house fire and couldn't recall them). I have my PSN account and stuff set to my new email, so I can sign in by clicking one of those easy "sign in with..." buttons, but I need my Social Club pw to do 2-step, and I can't recover it via my old email because I don't have that pw, either. Worried if I choose the "account compromised" option on Social Club's help page, they'll freeze my account regardless of the explanation, and I have (kinda shamefully) spent more money on their games (over the years of GTO and stuff) than I'd like to mention or lose access to.

...Suggestions on how I might unfuck myself, here?

Aren't you able to just reset the password of your old email address though? Like through a recovery email address or answering security questions?

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

HatJudge posted:

My mainest of main gripes is the menus. Why is save, load and exit game located under "Story"?

Edit for clarity

:agreed:

I remember googling to find out how to manually save. It literally didn't cross my mind to look in that submenu. :shobon:

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

Phil Moscowitz posted:

This game is so great. I just came back to it after a few months and was riding around. I found a stranger mission I’d never seen, then I saw a weird animal on the ground and heard it squeal. I tried to see what it was, because my gun sight was red like I could shoot it, but there was no prompt to examine it, with gun or binocs, like it was dead.

I got off my horse and walked up to it and got the option to skin it—a possum.

I tried to and it jumped up and scurried away, at which point I could examine it.

The possum was playing possum, meaning it appeared dead as far as the game’s mechanics were concerned. I love this game.

From memory one of the challenges is to kill a possum playing possum. :D

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

I did an experiment and threw a hog-tied dude into some shallow water and he, as one would, attempted to keep his head above the water (he was face down). Along come a pair of dudes on horseback and they approach the hog-tied sucker and stare at him. Finally, rather than have them cut him free, he just gets up and runs away screaming, apparently having been mind-freed by the two horseback guys. A crime report was not triggered, the two horseback guys just kept going after the brief "pause to telekinetically free their npc brethren" and I caught up to the escapee, tied him up again and this time made sure he was able to luxuriate in waters deep enough to meet his specific needs.

As far as I know, hogtied NPC's (and yourself if you get hogtied in RDO) free themselves from their binds after a certain period of struggling.

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

Frog Act posted:

I'm just now realizing if I want any of these extremely cool outfits besides the bear head I am gonna need to kill like dozens of every species. are there multiple legendary animals of each type or just the one?

Also something to note: if you happen to lose a legendary pelt (say if you die after killing the animal), then the pelt will magically appear in the Trapper's inventory, you just won't get the money for selling it to him.

But yeah, the cosmetics are a huge grind and personally I didn't bother because the game is time consuming enough as it is. The Legendary Satchel grind was enough for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

Frog Act posted:

Yeah I dunno if I’ll bother, I’m never really a completionist in games but for some reason I kinda want the outfits

Is there any way to check how long you’ve played on a save? I’m curious since I’ve been playing like all month and I only hit 50% completion last night

For what it's worth, those outfits don't count towards the completion counter but if you want your Arthur to look cool then go for it. :)

If you can't find it ingame then your playtime does appear here after logging in: https://socialclub.rockstargames.com/games/rdr2/overview

I got the 100% completion (plus all single player achievements) in about 5 days of playtime apparently. I only have 3 online achievements to get but I just can't bring myself to climb to rank 50 (a mix of rdr2 burnout and boredom I think). Maybe if they run a double XP event or something... :shobon: