Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Sand Monster posted:

Anyone tips for completing the challenge where you have to shoot an enemy from however far away it is, 660 feet or something? The furthest kill I've had is around 580 feet and it was a situation where the NPC didn't even appear on my screen until I got that close, so I'm not sure how I am supposed to shoot someone further away when they don't even show up.

I got it on the plateau in Austin by shooting someone just traveling by horse on the road. I tracked them through my scope and just waited until they were what felt like a sufficently far enough distance and overshot it by about 60 feet. You could do the same with the plateaus near Valentine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Coming from PC games, my big issue at first was learning that I needed to snap aim each shot instead of holding down the aim button throughout and guiding the crosshair with the right stick to manually place my shots.

At least using default everything settings.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Don't feel bad guys, I didn't know about anything other than the boots until the epilogue. And I barbie dolled a lot.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
You can't damage legendary animal pelts,no matter how many times you shoot it. Dynamite arrows exist. Do with this information what you will.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Am I the only one that rocked double volcanoes in SP? Those, plus a Lancaster and either varmit or bow depending is best loadout.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Fojar38 posted:

Dynamite arrows

This is the correct answer for every legendary animal.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

doctor 7 posted:

Every regular animal:
I am the master of the hunt. I am the night stalker that slowly moves in the darkness of the shallow moonlight. One shot. One kill. No survivors.

Legendary Animal:
Fuckin' a-rights budd let's fuckin' shread this fuckin' guy

For varmint its usually more like spot their tracks in dead eye, then almost run them over on my horse, then almost run them over again trying to get in front for a head shot, then think I lined up a headshot in dead eye but somehow hit the torso. Get saved by the that one satchel. Feel like a total badass.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

doctor 7 posted:

Uhhhh how is that not RDR2 in general? If you're changing the controls substantially wouldn't you do it in both modes?

In typical R* fashion, once the game ships the single player mode ceases to exist and the game becomes online/multiplayer only.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
My first horse was Mr Wiggles, I named the white Arabian from the mountains the Tahitian word for Lightning.

Edit: on my next play through it will all be aspirational goals in Tahitian, like Good Health and Fortune.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Special Edition: $60 USD
Ultimate Edition: $80 USD

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Last play was naming horses aspirational words in Tahitian. Arthur gotta have dreams.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

PITT posted:

Doesn't it have to do with PC release specifically increasing time artificially based FPS? I read something about that, made me chuckle. Why would you ever use that to track game time, in any game, ever. :psyduck:

That is a ridiculously common design choice, especially for games born on consoles where you'll have locked frame rates and thus can treat it as a constant.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
This game can really be pretty.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Litchfield all the way. Just be better at aiming and it's not a problem. :smuggo:

But really they are both good. Meaning Litchfield and Lancaster.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
After playing this all weekend I, a dude in the US, woke up to a missed call from a number in France which showed up on my caller ID as Saint-Denis.

These targeted ads are getting out of control.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
I went level 10 beard in chapter 2 this play through. I don't know if I'll grow it back once I get far enough to need to.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

DrNutt posted:

Whoa wait? I thought level 10 beard was locked until later chapters. My first playthrough was spent guzzling hair tonic and I couldn't get past 8 and someone here said it was story locked.

Nah you can do it in chapter 2. It is a lot easier with the 99 satchel. Go kill the fence in Van Horn and then walk out and wait until morning. If you never leave the pier the fence will never respawn. So you just chug three tonics a day and wait until morning. Leave pier to buy more tonics as needed. Took almost 300 tonics to go from 7 to 10 and about a month+ of in game time.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

DrNutt posted:

Lmao what? I mean, I understand what you wrote but why does killing the fence help your hair grow???

Your hair doesn't grow with tonic unless you go through a load screen such as from a cart or train ride or sleeping. The longer the in game time the "rest" is, the better. By chaining the wait until morning prompts you are advancing the clock +24 hours in game per trigger and you are getting a load screen to transition with.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Dongattack posted:

So if i donate stuff like "perfect deer hide" etc to Pearson, can i use it to make him craft stuff or does he sell it?

If he needs the specific thing to craft something, yes. Otherwise he just sells it.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Orv posted:

No, I've never thought of that.

Oh well that's your problem then. You gotta shoot them before they getcha.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

pmchem posted:

I don't know. :(

Anyone have a bug where your horse won't gallop at full speed in cinematic mode? How to fix?

As far as I know that is supposed to be a feature, not a bug.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Springfield/Litchfield on shoulder depending on circumstance, Repeating Shotgun on back, dual LeMats. Everything else is just wasting your time. You can replace the Litch with a Lancaster and the Repeating for a semi if you want.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Is the monk PoI in MP?

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Make sure you spend time around camp during both the day and night between missions to really soak in as much of the story as you can. If you are really not pressing to finish things fast, once you get access to fishing you can basically gently caress off from the main story and have access to all of the game's side content that isn't gated behind specific main story progression triggers.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
There are for sure white dotted stranger missions out in the world for you to stumble on that early in the game. Donating to camp lets you buy upgrades eventually for the campsite.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Dick Trauma posted:

Look I just want to pat my horse, ride around and occasionally down a cold can of beans.

You'll punch your horse, ride around, and eat 12 wheels of cheese cans of beans.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

FuturePastNow posted:

Red Dead Redemption 2: trapped in a cycle of murdering witnesses

I killed someone outside Rhodes before and in a series of daisy chaining witness murdering, ended up at Valentine.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Dick Trauma posted:

Despite my poor marksmanship I decided to go on an adventure to bag the Legendary Buck because I'd heard that the trinket is most useful if you get it early in the game.

It was a long ride, and at first I couldn't pick up the clues. So I wandered around with my horse walking behind me. Stumbled into a gang camp and took it out. Killed a few varmints.

Eventually I found the clues, and saw what might have been the buck. I had a handful of slugs so I loaded them into the shotgun, and after the initial shot, chasing it on foot and a few more rounds I got it!

On the way to the closest trapper I got jumped by a puma that was harassing a bear, fell off my horse but managed to survive and finally wrapped up the adventure with a journey to the fence to get my trinket.

The #1 most important thing to remember about legendary animals is that no matter what you use to hunt it, you will always get a perfect pelt. This game also gives you explosives. Just coincidentally mentioning that.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

The Internet posted:

Hold Right mouse to look at target, hold G, and hold Left Left mouse to begin draw. Slows time and puts you right into dead eye.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
They should add a punt gun.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

il serpente cosmico posted:

I'm finally getting around to RDR2 on PC. I have a pretty nice system - 8700K and a 2080ti. I have a 1440p Gsync monitor, and have the settings configured to hit roughly 68FPS average in the benchmark. It runs really well most of the time, but then it'll suddenly tank and stutter down to 30FPS for a second or two. I thought this might be CPU related, but the utilization never gets above 75 percent or so. It seems like it's chugging to stream in new data or something, but I have plenty of overhead, so I'm not sure what gives. Any ideas? it sounds like stuttering has been a pretty common issue with the PC port. Do I need a CPU with more cores to run it smoothly?

You running on a HDD, SSD, M2? From memory most of the optimizations have been GPU fixes rather than CPU. How much RAM do you have? How much of your GPU RAM do your settings commit?

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Ygolonac posted:

Rats show up at all kinds of wrecked places - Limpany, that one abandoned Army/Indian camp down by the lower Montana, the wrecked oil derrick near Valentine. For bats, you hit the Elysian cave, or there's one swamp house that looks like it has Christmas lights along the eaves when you go Eagle Eye - that's a swarm of the lil' flying rats.

If the cave has bats, it also has rats.

If the cave doesn't have hats, it might still have rats too.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Just remember guys, no matter what you use to kill legendary animals, you'll always get a perfect pelt.

As an aside apropros of nothing, dynamite exists in this game.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
The vanilla experience is really good and worth doing at least once. I first played on PS4 and when I did my second 100% playthrough on PC all I added was a trainer to add in the RDO content and to spawn poo poo and teleport around because the rest of the game held up real well and I just wanted to save some time on the grinds.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Vichan posted:

All I want is singleplayer DLC... :(

You'll never get it. The closest thing you might maybe see is if they do rdr1 in engine.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

PlushCow posted:

I hope if they ever do it, they give you the option to switch between the characters in the postgame. It sucked being Jack and not John in RDR1 postgame, and then Arthur was so good I wanted to be Arthur not John in RDR2 postgame! Like use a preset model for undone missions whatever, Im surprised they never gave the option after complaints of it from RDR1.

Just let me play as Sadie cowards! :argh: And whatever you want too, just give me Sadie.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Just remember that Lumbago is a real disease and not a joke. It affects millions of uncles every year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Cartridgeblowers posted:

I'm looking to play the single player on PC. I really loved it on PS4 but want to make it a more streamlined experience. What are the best mods to just kinda... chill out and have fun in the west?

I got a 100% save on PS4 when it first came out. When it released on PC I just grabbed a trainer and played the game normally, but really slowly to just soak it in. Whenever I bumped into something I didn't want to bother grinding again I'd just use the trainer to pop it into the world or give myself the thing. Also use it to give myself whatever makes it to RDO.

Campaign is so good I felt like that was enough. Though saying that if I knew about the auto skinning mods I'd have grabbed those too.