Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sioux
May 30, 2006

some ghoulish parody of humanity
I just wish John Marston was the protagonist and not this generic bandit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sioux
May 30, 2006

chitoryu12 posted:

John Marston looked plenty generic until you actually played the game.

But I'm emotionally invested in him at least. Why not start there for RDR2?

Sioux
May 30, 2006

chitoryu12 posted:

I'm confused. Are you saying you need to be emotionally invested in him from the first gameplay footage for it to count?

I'm saying I don't care about whoever is the protagonist of RDR2. I'm saying I do care about Marston. He is in the RDR universe, hell he is in the Dutch van der Linde gang, why not write RDR2 with him in mind as protagonist? And of course I will get to know generic cowboy #2 better once I start playing RDR2, just... why did Rockstar not use Marston?

Sioux
May 30, 2006

The getting fat and beard stuff sounds so annoying. I have to deal with that in real life, I don't want to RP my neckbeard self in RDR2. I hope it doesn't feel too much like work. I just want to shoot mans and ride around on my horsey. Same atmosphere and crazy (side)missions like RDR1 preferably.

Sioux
May 30, 2006

Capn Beeb posted:

I wonder how big of a deal any of this is, considering the emphasis on wearing the right gear and riding the right horse as the game dictates it.

In RDR1 I had the War Horse from the beginning, because of some preorder bonus I think. It looked awesome and rode great. I finished that game never having 'progressed' from a lovely mangy horse to a better courser. I think for RDR2 I will just not pre-order and get the actual journey of finding better horses every now and then.

Sioux
May 30, 2006

I wonder why Arthur Morgan isn't in RDR1. Hope he doesn't get shot in a barn or something, but I guess we'll see soon enough.

Sioux
May 30, 2006

Macrame_God posted:

H-he's still at it...:stonklol:

Isn't that just an audio loop?

Sioux
May 30, 2006

PancakeTransmission posted:

RDR2 digital: $99 AUD ($70 USD)
Physical: $69 AUD ($48 USD) (discounted price, EB is still selling it for $99 lol)

Yes, this makes perfect sense as we all know it's more expensive to upload files to a server than to press a disc and print a booklet/map/sleeve cover, ship to a store, and employ people at the store to sell the game.

I don't understand either. If they made the digital price significantly lower I would be more likely to buy in the PS Store. Now I usually buy the physical disc because it's cheaper and I can even lend the game to friends or sell it once I'm done.

Sioux
May 30, 2006

Honestly all four versions look pretty sweet!

shut up blegum posted:

My game store is supposed to text me when I can pick up the game.
I just received a text from them, but it's just advertising for the game. Wtf :argh:

Haha was that Game Mania in NL? I almost quit work for the day because of that text.

Sioux fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Oct 25, 2018

Sioux
May 30, 2006

Man I really love this game so far, but there are some things that I don't understand. First thing is duelling. I push R2 ever so lightly and it fills the circle, then I press it harder and nothing happens. I let that kid shoot himself in the face ten times before it eventually worked, no idea how.

Then there's hunting. I've done a LOT of it and it's awesome. I know how tracking works and calling the animal. I just don't understand how I've shot a few rabbits and got a perfect carcass, but the squirrels are impossible. They run a lot slower than rabbits, but still. Each time the hide/carcass is hosed. Pro-tip is to get scopes at the gunsmith for the guns you use, you don't spook the animals so quickly when you snipe them and you can take your time. I never see the smaller animals just chilling though (with the exception of ducks and water birds), I have to run through the scrubs to get them out.

I've been upgrading the camp a lot, since I couldn't seem to be able to get rid of all those pocket watches and wedding rings. Last night I did a mission where I apparently opened the fence, am I supposed to sell looted stuff at his place from now on? General store doesn't take it.

All of my missions are a silver star at the highest. Most are bronze. The requirements are pretty steep, it's gonna be a chore to get all those up to gold if I ever want to go for the trophy.

Some funny stuff happened to me so far:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QpFIrViXBPE

Also, Rockstar NPC bugs:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cq0JL2j3u4E

Sioux
May 30, 2006

Those chapters and flow charts should be in the OP. This thread moves too fast as it is with all you wannabe outlaws.

Sioux
May 30, 2006

How do you know which is a story mission and which is a side mission? I mean which mission will lead you to the next chapter?

I looked through the window behind the store in Valentine and finally got an option to go to the door of the secret room, someone opened the little window and told me to duck off or something, but I got distracted by my horse or something and now I they don't open the little door anymore. How do I rob them now?

How do you see which animals are 3 stars? I thought the quality of the hide was determined by the weapon you used and where you hit 'em, not the animal itself.

Sioux
May 30, 2006

Ainsley McTree posted:

Gavin is the new odrin

Or the new Mankrik's Wife.

Man I love this game but I feel so clunky handling it. The times I've accidentally shot or stabbed a person I was brawling with is insane.

Also, I can't for the life of me figure out how waypoints work. It should make some kind of GPS navigation on your mini-map possible right? I've never seen any kind of trail to follow. My workaround is to just put one of those red markers and go into that general direction. I've never gold-starred a mission though because I never "bring X back to Y in time", probably because of it.

And hunting, I hear a lot about 3-star animals. I just did the mission where you had to get a perfect rabbit and squirrel pelt, but I can't figure out which animal is 3-star? I though you just had to get one shot with the right weapon in the right part (head or heart?). Those small animals are annoying enough, because they spook only by the time I get to them and I can't snipe them from 20 or 30 meters. I never see them sitting or walking. How do you make getting perfect pelts on animals easier for yourself?

Last night I robbed the back room of the Valentine doctor. I tried reloading a couple of times because I kept getting the 'law is investigating' and 'we know you're in there' and eventually a lawman kept coming in and I got into way more trouble. I couldn't properly loot the room this way, still got the Schofield though. How are you supposed to do that heist?

oh adding my pro-tip: when at a general store, sell all the 3/3 or 10/10 consumables you have, if you have 3/3 moonshine or gun oil or anal lubricant: whatever just sell one or two. You will gain a pretty penny instead of standing at some bandit camp unable to loot the ones that are there.

Sioux fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Nov 7, 2018

Sioux
May 30, 2006

OK so hunting turned out a little better for me already, now that I have the Springfield rifle instead of just a repeater and the varmint rifle. Also I can now tell which animals are what class, it says "pristine", or "good" etc. when I press R1 when the animals is alive. I just don't know how you are supposed to see that when the animal is moving around or if it's a tiny animal like a squirrel that only moves when you are close by and then you are hard pressed to be able to study it. Is there an easier way to know which animal is what quality?

I handed in the perfect squirrel and rabbit and now have to do some songbirds I think (e.g. Cardinal?). I know how to find ducks and you can usually see the bigger birds flying around easily, but the songbirds? I never see them perched in a tree or something so I can take a good shot. Do you find them in flight or is there a particular spot to find them?

Sioux
May 30, 2006

Zaa Boogie posted:

Yeah, your saddle will upgrade your stamina and health and your stirrup upgrades your speed and acceleration.

It does not say what it upgrades in the buying menu at the Stables though, does it? I just spent some money on upgrading my horse stuff (XL saddle bag, blanket, saddle and pummel (?) ) last night, but I thought it was purely cosmetic. Usually it says so when there is an effect (e.g. stirrups, which I upgraded when I first entered the stables). Also I hate how it's so easy to make a mistake there. Everywhere the game makes you press the button for 5 seconds when you purchase or donate anything above a dollar and at the stables you can easily spend 40 buck on a different color saddle (with no stats or worse stats?) when you navigate the menu. I think I accidentally bought 4 or 5 saddles or different saddle colors and I'm usually not an idiot.

On the topic of upgrades: I upgraded all four items at the trapper (bandolier, holster, off-hand holster, weapon belt?). I had all four unlocked, but in different classes (Sharpshooter, Explorer, Hunter etc.) I hope it was worth the money and I hope it doesn't matter that I mixed and matched the gear sets.

TMMadman posted:

You might be able to load a pelt into a wagon that has an open back, but you can't jump when carrying a pelt and I think most wagons are too tall.

Maybe if you had the right landscape geometry, you'd be able to drop the pelt into the cart from above. Or maybe put the pelt on your horse, climb into the wagon, then take the pelt off your horse and drop it in the wagon.

Or just park your wagon under a bridge and drop the hides onto it. The railroad bridge near Valentine will probably do it.

TjyvTompa posted:

Being underweight actually gives you more stamina, or make it drain slower, whatever, it's better!

Just like in real life!

Sioux
May 30, 2006

Zaa Boogie posted:

Oh, huh. If you manage to unlock an upgrade off hand holster at the Trapper you can just get one before Micah gives you one.

I kinda like that better, ha. Doesn't look like I can buy a duplicate gun, though. Guess that'll be later.

I did that and bought an off-hand holster and now I can dual-wield without any story mission unlocking it.

I just herded all the sheep into Valentine for that mission with John, but for some reason the mission report after the big shootout with the law and Strauss getting shot it showed as if I had not herded any sheep into the corral. I don't think I missed a sheep anyway. I wonder if I'm still getting paid for that job, especially since I had to pay off a 60 dollar bounty because of the mission. Dutch is now already talking about moving the camp from Horsehoe Overlook but nothing really happened. I guess I should first break Micah out of jail. That the only yellow mission I can see on the map. I think that will get me to chapter 3.

Sioux
May 30, 2006

MeatwadIsGod posted:

The biggest annoyance to me is that your campsite doesn't seem to persist for more than a day or two and seems to blip off the map if you stray outside a relatively small radius.
Do you use a campsite for hunting? Why? I only use the campsite if I need to craft something or if I want to advance time/heal. I always destroy it right after. If you don't destroy it, do you lose access or need to 'pick it up' again later? Does it show up on your map then?

shut up blegum posted:

Just spent like an real life hour looking for a Cardinal.
I also saw a woodpecker flying around there, trying to figure out if I can find the rock where they spawn.
Do birds only spawn on rocks? I hear them all the time, but usually they're flying. I try to find woodpeckers and songbirds in trees, but I never see them perched on a branch or something when Eagle Eyeing.

Section Z posted:

They have to be hats the game wants you to save anyways. Flashing seems to be an indicator?
I wish. The cool civil war cavalry hat with feather I found is only in my inventory by saving it in a custom outfit. It does not show up in my list of hats. I'm afraid to delete the custom outfit now, but I also can't wear the hat on any other outfit :(

Durzel posted:

Holy poo poo I do some dumb poo poo whilst playing this game, like putting down a camp as soon as I killed something with a perfect pelt that I had been stalking for an eternity (it despawns the entire carcass), and er.. rushing to get that white Arabian and somehow managing to lose all of the perfect pelts I had in my existing horse's cargo when I transferred saddles? Like just gone, not even on the old (now temporary) horse.
Is there a knack to the duel system? I'm sure it's probably been answered before in the last 150 odd pages but I find it completely inscrutable to the point where whenever I win a duel or disarm someone it feels like complete fluke. I hold down R2 gently, but beyond that I don't know what I'm supposed to do or when. :(
Best is when you break a new horse in the wild, do not transfer saddles but beeline to the nearest stables and stable or change saddles from the stables menu. You just ride the horse with no saddle and make your regular horse follow with all of your stuff.

For me the duel mini-game is either bugged or I'm an idiot. I softly press the R2 button to fill up the meter, then I press hard to pull but poo poo happens. Every time the story makes you do it I've repeated a dozen times when it accidentally triggers or I've just skipped the duel. I'm wondering if my controller is just broken at this point, cause how else can these simple steps be so hard?

Sioux
May 30, 2006

Walrus Pete posted:

IMO you should give your horses nice respectable names they can be proud of, like The Yellow Dart or Beetlejuice.

Then I named my golden turkoman Buck Bumble because I had a very serious, if temporary, lapse in judgement.

Mine are Boudica, Zenobia and Tomyris because for some reason I only find mares and they are absolutely lethal.

Sioux
May 30, 2006

Hihohe posted:

I like collecting those cigarette cards but it gives you the ability to sell them, if you sell them will you still be able to mail them in or are those not copys of one you already have.

I sold them and I think they were out of my inventory so now I just sell duplicates.
Stupid enoughs that you have to remember to discard your cigarettes all the time to collect these cards.

Sioux
May 30, 2006

veni veni veni posted:

Somebody get bethesda on it.

I am sworn to carry your boar pelts.

Sioux
May 30, 2006

Ahahaaha the brawl at Charles Chaternay's exposition. Arthur is so delighted by the whole thing! Warms my heart.

Sioux
May 30, 2006

What the hell happened with the carriage here? I don't understand why everyone started fighting me either.
Also disregard my furious button-mashing, I normally don't record myself but forgot that my PS camera was on.

Another question: I caught one of the legendary fish, but I was standing on a rock in the lake and could only go to my horse swimming. Naturally I lost the fish and it floated in between a crack in the rocks. I tried getting it out by walking into it, dynamiting it a bunch, but couldn't get it out. I tried passing time by sleeping nearby. The fish doesn't degrade or anything, but now I can't mail it to the collector. Have I screwed myself out of a trophy/quest?

Sioux
May 30, 2006

CJacobs posted:

Once you unlock the horse drift, your horse will do it automatically to navigate around stuff like rocks, fenceposts etc that you nudge up against. It's really useful. As for doing it manually it's good for getting off the road and behind something without leaving horseback if you get ambushed or whathaveyou.

Oh, is this why I don't slamdunk my horse into trees anymore when I speed up? It kinda just weaves through them now instead of slamming headfirst into each trunk and sending me and my carcasses flying.

Sioux
May 30, 2006

Maybe I'm just a very lovely player, but I have yet to gold medal a mission and I'm in chapter 6. Taking my sweet time looking around and looting probably doesn't help either.

Sioux
May 30, 2006

For the legendary alligator, unload in him too and them unload in him some more. drat tank of a beast.

Sioux
May 30, 2006

Ainsley McTree posted:

Ok, if I can speak on behalf of all the other 35 year olds, moving isn’t THAT hard yet

Arthur is 35? Well shiiitt.

Sioux
May 30, 2006

So, after over a year absence I put in the disk(s) and reinstalled RDR2 on my PS4 in order to do some online co-op with friends. I don't know how, but somehow I already had a lot of gold and linking my Prime account probably helped. I managed to buy Collector, Bounty Hunter, Trader and Naturalist duties pretty much immediately.

Rockstar keeps giving me al kinds of vouchers in-game as well, so I was able to get a deal on a good (Criollo) horse and I was able to buy some weapons.

I like the gaming, it's still very pretty, I do'n't get ganked at all (playing with defensive tag) and white flag raised. If I wouldn't enjoy riding around on my horse, trying for those daily challenges etc. I can see that it could get grindy (and it might in the future) but for now weeee! There is still a lot to do in the game, but not everything makes sense for me yet.

In the main menu, if I click on POSSE UP I just go to free roam anyway. Is the big menu-button FREE ROAM different from POSSE UP?
I created a persistent posse in order to more easily play with my friends, but I still have to keep re-inviting them. I don't see why I paid redneck dollars for that persistence then. What's the use?
When I log off, will my friends still belong to the posse or contribute to our shared camp? I guess not. Way to ignore a great way to build some more community, Rockstar.
I donated a considerable amount of meat and money for supplies to Cripps. I now have a 100/100 shipment. If I deliver it, the system says I will make 62 dollars on it (I think 15 more if I take a long distance shipment). Why would I ever do this again? It seems like losing money. Also, do my Posse friends get this amount as well if we deliver it or do they need to have bought the Trader role? Also can we get ganked by others when doing the shipment?
I think it only costs 2 dollars to have Cripps move camp. Sounds to me like a good alternative to paying 5 times as much for fast travel, or am I missing something?
For the naturalist role, I'm supposed to not kill animals. Why put something in the game that goes against one of the main parts of what makes this game fun? Also, I don't really see a penalty here other than some voice lines from Harriet, so... why would I spare any animals?

I also bought the Halloween Pass with gold that for some reason the game keeps throwing at me. Is there any reason to ever buy something with real-world money? I think the normal Outlaw pass gives a return on investment if you get high enough with that. I suppose the Halloween Pass does not do that? I may have been foolish not to hold on to the gold until after the Halloween Pass finishes and a new Outlaw Pass is available? Anyway still great to be able to play this. Hope it will be even better on PS5.

Sioux
May 30, 2006

The gooniest of screenshots. I had 30 days going and I already hated myself. I was glad I accidentally but not really slipped last week and promptly stayed offline for the rest of the week.

Sioux
May 30, 2006

SplitSoul posted:

There are a whole bunch of things I can no longer buy, because I still have unused and expired coupons under Benefits and somehow this breaks the UI when I view the items they apply to.

They've managed to not break poo poo too terribly the last few patches, what happened? :rockstar:

Yeah I have the same thing on PS4, thought that was connected to my expired coupons (why not just remove them?).

Sioux
May 30, 2006

I'd do Trader. I like hunting so that works. Plus it really makes your camp something to return to. Naturalist seemed nice, but I really dislike not being able to talk to the questgiver to sell "samples" or buy stuff without being sprayed and then not being able to talk to her.

I just started Moonshining, and other than it being a separate house and some (cool) starter missions, it is basically a copy/paste of the trader role.

Sioux
May 30, 2006

BisonDollah posted:

Also today's Daily Challenge says kill 3 players in free roam event (with a repeater)... I cannot figure out how to get a stranger mission that will let me kill players and tick this off my to-do, very frustrating.

It's not about stranger missions. You have to wait to get a system invite to a free roam event. There are a couple that let you kill other players.

Sioux
May 30, 2006

I've had an occasional shootout with another person but I've never been griefed or spawncamped much in this game. Isn't that also what the "Parlay" and "Press charges" options were for? I thought that was like griefer-protection so you can make sure they can't do it again. I always imagined press charges would make them wanted so they would keep getting interrupted from griefing you.

Sioux
May 30, 2006

winter.mute posted:

Lemoyne Party is open, I quit for a while and everyone dropped out but I'm back on most days now. I'm usually just doing dailies, collecting, moonshining, and wandering aimlessly.

that name :D
Can you be a part of two posse? I have my own for myself and my sister (and some friends).
PSN: grizzlywilde (although I play in EU evening and weekend hours)

Sioux
May 30, 2006

MazelTovCocktail posted:

Luckily I’m just using the Great Plains bison harvest trick

Wait what's the trick?

Sioux
May 30, 2006

Trivia posted:

Maybe I didn't wait long enough but I hated Dutch so much I had to put that replay on hold. Goddamn is he a blowhard.

This is what happened to Dutch on my first playthrough. Kind of felt good.

Sioux
May 30, 2006

Red Oktober posted:

I finished it last week, the epilogue was the only part I didn't really like.

I had become really attached to Arthur, and on top of that it just seemed to be a load of busywork. I get that's the point, but it doesn't mean I want to do it.

I feel the same way, which is the same reason why in RDR1 I also did not really like the epilogue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sioux
May 30, 2006

Yeah there's little griefing in free roam and it's fun riding around, hunting & trading, bounty-hunting etc. especially if you can mosey around with friends.