Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bajaj
Sep 13, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
"Get a notebook with at least 8GB of RAM"
*Opens Chrome*
"Hey, where did 60% of my available RAM go??"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Still using a 2012 13" macbook pro as my main computer but these days I just use my phone for 90% of what I used my laptop for when I first got it. I'm probably never gonna upgrade from this thing. The aesthetics and portability of the little macbooks they got now are appealing but the keyboard is super garbage and ditching magsafe for usbc was insanely loving dumb like what were they thinking. Plus osx is kind of a trash fire now with stuff like finder in high sierra refusing to write files bigger than 2GB onto fat32 volumes even though the actual filesystem limit is 4GB so you gotta use forklift or some other third party file manager instead.

All of the above combined with them supposedly planning on ditching intel in favour of their own chips makes me sad because drat I would really love to pick up a new apple laptop that doesn't suck but there is literally no such thing.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

This is actually the worst thing about Macbooks. I mean other than the zero USB ports thing and the fact that pressing enter on a file renames it instead of opening.

I remember glossy screens were a big thing in the mid 2000s with really lovely Toshiba laptops and I think it was a cheap way to make them look shiny and poo poo. It is grotesque.

Reminder that it took Sony decades to figure out how to make crts with a matte screen. Then plasma had the same issue. Everyone hated how reflective the screens were and plasma finally started making them with a matte screen after lots of technological advancements.

Hell, up until a few years ago Apple used to let you choose between glossy and matte and just out of nowhere they got rid of the option.

Now we're left with this poo poo

Fun fact: German workplace ergonomics guidelines require non-glossy screens. If your company gives you a glossy screen, that is in violation of these guidelines. Therefore Macs would not ne considered fit for the workplace. Of course the sheeple prefer to pay out the rear end for form over function and workers would never complain because they want to be hip and trendy.

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

naem posted:

I've been waiting a decade for someone else to add cintiq functionality to their product, it's incredibly frustrating

What do you mean? There are multiple Cintiq-likes on the market. Frenden reviews them occasionally: http://frenden.com/tagged/review

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Hopper posted:

Fun fact: German workplace ergonomics guidelines require non-glossy screens. If your company gives you a glossy screen, that is in violation of these guidelines. Therefore Macs would not ne considered fit for the workplace. Of course the sheeple prefer to pay out the rear end for form over function and workers would never complain because they want to be hip and trendy.

I never knew that. Basically everyone where I work is issued a macbook with a glossy screen.

I declined the work-issued one though and got an Asus Zenbook, which I personally think looks cooler and has the benefit of not being a mac. At least I can hook my laptop up to a projector without having to gently caress around for a couple minutes with the refresh rates or whatever like half the mac users at conferences.

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice
The Huawei matebook pro looks very nice but I can't afford it.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

The last Surface has a glossy screen too for what it's worth

And I hate that too. gently caress glossy screens

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Hopper posted:

Giving your employees extreme headaches is probably against some of their plentiful worker's rights and it makes me wanna go to Germany to live

Zidrooner posted:

I think glossy screens look better :shrug:. The matte coating looks like a subtle rainbow slurry is spread atop screen. Matte is admittedly more practical if you have trouble with sunlight or lights shining directly into, but I don't in my setup so works4me.

The only time a matte screen gives a rainbow effect is if you put a matte screen protector or cover over the glossy screen. Screens that start out matte don't have that issue at all.

Jose Oquendo posted:

Which MacBooks have no USB ports? They all have at least one.

The newest ones. You need a dongle to plug in any normal USB device. And you need a friggin hub if you wanna plug in two devices lol

Verisimilidude posted:

I know people who had theirs for years with no problems. It sounds like an unlikely issue, but in that regard I’ve had windows laptop keyboards crap out on me far more easily than any of my MacBook’s.

Actual service bulletin from Apple

Only registered members can see post attachments!

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

Actual service bulletin from Apple

It just works™

celewign
Jul 11, 2015

just get us in the playoffs
I have some old HP business laptop I got off Newegg for $150 and I put lubuntu on it so it's still fast. I'm not spending 2k on a stupid computer. That extra 1850$ can go to cheap booze.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Keychain corruption and password resets remain the bane of my existence. Also the new MacBooks seem to have a lot fewer ports and they're all Thunderbolt now because gently caress standard peripherals I guess.

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

You don't understand innovation. You idiot. You absolute moron.

Zidrooner
Jul 20, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The only time a matte screen gives a rainbow effect is if you put a matte screen protector or cover over the glossy screen. Screens that start out matte don't have that issue at all.

Nah, my previous goon recommended dell ultrasharp (an otherwise great monitor) had this issue without me putting anything over it. It's very obvious when it was supposed to show white like on a text document, or when side by side with a glossy monitor on a dual screen setup. I hear they acknowledged the problem and toned down the overly aggressive coating on later models though. It was very effective, in my old apartment sunlight was bearing down straight on it and it was still very usable, so I do think matte has a lot of merit but I do find glossy to have better image quality.

a_pineapple
Dec 23, 2005

you're not allowed discuss the new mack book keyboard until you know how to properly utilize the term "throw" as it relates to the extent of motion.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

i too get mad at products i don't buy or own

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i was browsing some gaming laptops since i left my gaming pc at home and they cost the same as my pc did with relatively the same specs (i5, r7260x) and they cost like 100 bucks more than that pc did like 4 years ago. notebooks are really expensive

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Notebook i5 has half the cores?

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

buy a thinkpad, op

a_pineapple
Dec 23, 2005

poverty goat posted:

buy a thinkpad, op
make sure to get the x240. the trackpad is totally amazeballs

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Warbadger posted:

Keychain corruption and password resets remain the bane of my existence. Also the new MacBooks seem to have a lot fewer ports and they're all Thunderbolt now because gently caress standard peripherals I guess.

My zenbook did the same thing. I didn't even know what a USB-C plug was. It's kind of annoying but it does allow it to be thin+light as hell so :shrug:

the downside is if you forget your "dongle" like the mac people seem to do all the time, nobody is going to have one that works for you to borrow (I've tried the mac versions, they don't work).

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

vas0line posted:

make sure to get the x240. the trackpad is totally amazeballs

the x200 series were good but my 220 is about due for an SSD

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

DoctorGonzo posted:

i was browsing some gaming laptops since i left my gaming pc at home and they cost the same as my pc did with relatively the same specs (i5, r7260x) and they cost like 100 bucks more than that pc did like 4 years ago. notebooks are really expensive

Shockingly, a niche (gaming) laptop with high-end components packed into a comparatively tiny chassis paired with an expensive LCD panel is much more expensive than a desktop with off-the-shelf parts. :monocle:

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

Shockingly, a niche (gaming) laptop with high-end components packed into a comparatively tiny chassis paired with an expensive LCD panel is much more expensive than a desktop with off-the-shelf parts. :monocle:

The other thing is that Intel prices their power-restricted CPUs about 50% higher than the desktop ones from the same/similar production line, and that's ignoring the often very large performance cuts when compared to the desktop models

It's not that it doesn't make sense though, your entire i7 laptop including the GPU might conceivably have lower consumption than a single desktop CPU on it's own (with fairly typical values of ~50 and ~60 watts respectively)

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Apple users just buy macs because Steve Jobs made that one frowny face once and they are all fascinated by that

Laughing Man
Feb 11, 2008
I thought what I’d do was pretend I was one of those deaf mutes, or something...
I have one of the new ones at work, the copy and paste will randomly break multiple times per day and I need to manually close the process for the clipboard in terminal every time it happens. Apparently this has been a bug for years gj apple.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
steve jobs is dead and im glad of it OP

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Basically the only mac laptops worth recommending:

1) 2015 MBP which had magsafe, decent non-butterfly keyboard and more ports (USB 3.0, HDMI and SD Card Slot)
2) MBA even though it's a dated heritage design the price has come down and it's still a decent compact laptop.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

etalian posted:

Basically the only mac laptops worth recommending:

1) 2015 MBP which had magsafe, decent non-butterfly keyboard and more ports (USB 3.0, HDMI and SD Card Slot)
2) MBA even though it's a dated heritage design the price has come down and it's still a decent compact laptop.

Rumor has it there's a new lost cost MacBook coming later this year. I think this will fill the $1000 price point and the MBA will be gone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Jose Oquendo posted:

Rumor has it there's a new lost cost MacBook coming later this year. I think this will fill the $1000 price point and the MBA will be gone.

The Macbook was the one that pioneered the horrible butterfly design while the MBA has more conventional travel keyboard.

• Locked thread