Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

We're all gonna die.

Shadow of the Tomb Raider is the third and final installment of the gritty reboot trilogy beginning with the eponymous Tomb Raider in 2013 and succeeded by Rise of the Tomb Raider in 2015. It stars everyone's favorite posh archaeology grad turned psychopathic mass murderer Lara Croft and promises to be her defining moment where she finally becomes the tomb raider, we really mean it this time guys, honest. I guess all those other defining moments where she saved a cursed Japanese island and discovered an artifact of literal immortality didn't count. Oh well. Anyway, Lara is still hot on the trail of evil PMC cult Trinity to prevent them from triggering a Mayan Apocalypse, only to unwittingly set it into motion herself. Whoops! The story promises to explore the darkest nature of Lara's obsessions in the best way it knows how -- through bursts of brutal violence interceded by geeking out over lovingly rendered trinkets in the Queen's proper English.

If you've played either of the two previous entries in the series then you already know what you're getting into here. Shadow is a cinematic action platformer that divides its time evenly amongst traversal, stealthy chick-with-bow combat, and puzzles bookended by bombastic set pieces. That being said there are a few noteworthy improvements that newcomers and Tomb Raider fans alike should appreciate:

Combat - Lara can conceal herself with mud, slip into foliage, confuse and torment enemies, and string them up from trees because she is basically the Predator now.
Traversal - Among other platforming tweaks, Lara can rappel down surfaces and wall-walk for a smoother platforming experience.
Difficulty - There are now separately adjustable settings for combat, exploration, and puzzles. Increasing combat difficulty will make enemies tougher, whereas increasing the difficulty of exploration and puzzles will reduce the amount of hints and/or UI clues you receive from the environment, leading to a more immersive experience.
Tombs - Shadow claims to have the most robust and deadly tombs of any game in the reboot era. Even diehard Tomb Raider fans acknowledge that many of the puzzle sections in TR2013 and Rise had overly simple, one-note solutions, whereas the tombs in Shadow vow to be lengthier and more complex.
Customization - Eidos Montreal has said that Shadow will have more "RPG" esque mechanics in its skill and crafting systems, leading to increased diversity in the ways players can customize their loadout.
Length - Shadow follows the hub-based design of its predecessor, and the main area of Paititi is said to be massive with many diversions and places to explore. The surrounding environment and its people will also change with the actions Lara takes over the course of the story. It will take approximately 15 hours to complete the main campaign.
New Game+ - Completing the main campaign will unlock an NG+ mode that will allow you to replay the story with all accumulated gear, weapons, and abilities, as well as opening up additional skill trees and outfits.
Bonus Content - Buying the season pass will also open up 7 Challenge Tombs and narrative side missions to provide new in-game weapons and outfits, released monthly.
Llamas - You can pet them!

Shadow of the Tomb Raider was developed by Eidos Montreal (Deus Ex) in conjunction with Crystal Dynamics, who helmed the first two reboot games. It releases worldwide for all platforms on September 14th, 2018. Pre-ordering idiots with no impulse control who buy the Deluxe Edition and above get two days of early access beginning on September 12th.

Who said Lara didn't have twin guns in this game?

There are a whole bunch of confusing editions out there, all hail capitalism. Here is a breakdown of what you get from each one:

Standard - The base game, booster pack and a dynamic theme if that's your thing.
Deluxe - The base game, soundtrack, alternate outfits, and 48 hours of early access.
Croft - Everything from the Deluxe edition plus two additional outfits and the Season Pass, which include Challenge Tombs and future narrative side missions.
Ultimate - Everything from the Croft edition plus a collectible statuette, ice pick bottle opener, and flashlight. For idiots with too much money. At least this one comes with the actual game, though.
Season Pass - Can be bought separately once the game goes live.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_NcyfM6l2oA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swXKCJyvWX8

Let's go raid some tombs! And also, create some tombs!

exquisite tea fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Aug 19, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I've got a good feeling about this one. Gonna raid some motherfuckin' tombs and kill an entire nation's worth of people.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I absolutely loved the first, thought the second was really good and so long as the third just gives me more of toughguy mercenaries gradually getting more and more terrified of Lara as the game goes on, I'm gonna be happy.

Safeword
Jun 1, 2018

by R. Dieovich
I absolutely adore that you can see Lara bulking out as time goes on. She's really found her hook, and that hook is murderin'.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I still need to go back to the second one. It's always on sale for like $5 and I keep having other stuff to play. I got maybe 5 or 10 hours in when it came out. The thing that bothered me the most was that for some reason the controls felt more "floaty" than they did in TR2013 which baffled me since they appear to be running on the exact same engine.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

precision posted:

I still need to go back to the second one. It's always on sale for like $5 and I keep having other stuff to play. I got maybe 5 or 10 hours in when it came out. The thing that bothered me the most was that for some reason the controls felt more "floaty" than they did in TR2013 which baffled me since they appear to be running on the exact same engine.

After a whole bunch of Horizon Zero Dawn I had to turn the aiming sensitivity way down to replay this series, Lara can't wait to unload those arrows into some bad guy's dome.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Safeword posted:

I absolutely adore that you can see Lara bulking out as time goes on. She's really found her hook, and that hook is murderin'.

The series should end with a prologue that takes place a few thousand years in the future where some young archaeologist from Neo-New Britain discovers the tomb of Larr Kroft, the fabled ancient war goddess of bloodshed.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Vakal posted:

The series should end with a prologue that takes place a few thousand years in the future where some young archaeologist from Neo-New Britain discovers the tomb of Larr Kroft, the fabled ancient war goddess of bloodshed.

"It says here 'And You Shall Know Her By the Trail of Dead'... then there's a drawing of Kim Gordon cutting off Thurston Moore's head. Truly, the ancient world was a mysterious place."

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Vakal posted:

The inscription here reads, "I took no pleasure from killing."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkV3dxGGDEg

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

I still remember the first time I used the axe in TR2013. I tap the button and Lara just loving twats a guy full in the face like she's some sort of viking berserker :catstare:

So naturally I went hog wild with the axe upgrades and never used anything else ever again :black101:

Twat McTwatterson
May 31, 2011
Playing through ROTR right now and really liking this game.

There's plenty of linear sections and the normal difficulty is stupidly easy. Like it makes the whole upgrade system pointless and without consequence. Unless it's because I'm playing the 20th anniversary edition, wherein it also seems like lots of weapons are already unlocked. Like how did I get these different handguns like Moonshadow or whatever without unlocking it or finding it in the game? I'm confused. Goldenfang ready to go? I didn't do anything.

But the map is well-designed and makes backtracking rewarding and fun. The challenge tombs are fun and interesting. The graphics are great and I like Lara a lot. The story is Uncharted-esque but the Byzantine references are fantastic. The gunplay is fun but short and you often go long stretches without encountering an enemy.

I get scared when I see a bear coming at me.

Just some random musings. Enjoying my time with the game. Almost done with it. Wish there was an hour counter.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Autonomous Monster posted:

I still remember the first time I used the axe in TR2013. I tap the button and Lara just loving twats a guy full in the face like she's some sort of viking berserker :catstare:

So naturally I went hog wild with the axe upgrades and never used anything else ever again :black101:

I still remember getting locked in that room with a bunch of guys laughing at you from the other side, at the same time the game gives you a grenade launcher and points the camera at an open slot in the wall :getin:

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Jerusalem posted:

I still remember getting locked in that room with a bunch of guys laughing at you from the other side, at the same time the game gives you a grenade launcher and points the camera at an open slot in the wall :getin:

"THAT'S RIGHT YOU BASTARDS. I'M COMING FOR YOU

I do really enjoy how the series has totally avoided the Nathan Drake problem by just saying "Yeah, she's killing a lot of people."

Vakal
May 11, 2008
I'm severely disappointed there is not a one hour length video on youtube that is just Lara threatening the recuse helicopter pilot with a gun while he yells at her that she's loving crazy.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

1stGear posted:

"THAT'S RIGHT YOU BASTARDS. I'M COMING FOR YOU

I do really enjoy how the series has totally avoided the Nathan Drake problem by just saying "Yeah, she's killing a lot of people."

It's glorious.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
Im going to be the downer here and say that I personally enjoyed the DLC for Rise of the Tomb Raider a lot more than the actual game.

The multiplayer roguelike survival mode combined with the card system was a time sink for me. I would be really disappointed if that wasn't in this one.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

blackguy32 posted:

Im going to be the downer here and say that I personally enjoyed the DLC for Rise of the Tomb Raider a lot more than the actual game.

Nah I think most people would agree. I really hope that mode comes back.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Endurance Mode was DOPE af and I've easily put an additional 50 hours into playing it. Insanely tense and addictive for some hidden DLC minigame.

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
Croft edition, Obsession. I know I shouldn't fall for pre-orders or season pass but those costumes and tombs suck me in, with tiny hope of ghost being feasible playthrough.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

This kind of stuff is way more tense to me than jaguars and dudes with guns.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BHBAIuMnkpk

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
I'm hype and looking forward to watching my 2500k stay parked at 100% usage on all cores bottlenecking my GPU! May even use it as an excuse to drag the desktop out to the living room for a bit for some 4k high-defedness.

Got a greenmangaming e-mail that it's 21% off pre-order for PC. I think it was at that before when I grabbed a key, but the store page is just showing -15%, here are some -7% extra off codes from the e-mail if anyone wants:

7YYSN4-P15414-RA0UOK
7YJ3HE-KBQZI5-C1P5UX
7XV21Y-P2LLKS-XDS8UD
7ZJ0W5-SR3TUT-BB55BT
7ZLOR0-3WM4NT-G5KO46

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Shadow will release with New Game+ and additional skill paths! Finally a proper NG+ mode for this series, chapter replay elite just wasn't the same.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I replayed both of the new games this past week to prepare for Shadow, and now I am sufficiently tomb raidered out until September. Don't be like me, kids. :negative:

Here's a quick clip of some new weapons! So far I'm a big fan of the semi-auto pistol and fart gas SMG.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8aYLqoNnWs

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
This game looks good and I loved the previous two. But I don't know if I actually want to get a new pc to be able to play it.

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

"I couldn't stop saying aloud how miscast Jim Carrey was!"
The game's Steam page still doesn't have any system requirements on it, which is kind of odd for being so close to release.

I had so much fun with the previous two games that I almost pre-purchased, but I figure no point in even doing that, Steam refunds notwithstanding, until I know if my 2014 rig can even meet the minimums. I have an i7 with a GTX 760 and the latter can't do everything full-blast anymore. (Rise and Batman AK were the first games where I had to dial the settings back a bit, especially Rise since it had the Stereo 3D option built in - love that!)

Also, I'm kind of glad that Eidos learned their lesson to not agree to go platform exclusive AND release their big tentpole game day-and-date against another company's - and doing both simultaneously, no less. Fallout 4's period sales numbers wiping the floor with Rise's was such a sad thing to see for such a great game, and the fact that Microsoft had locked it up on the XB1 until the following year was extra salt.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I must assume that Microsoft paid handsomely for the privilege of exclusivity with Rise so as to offset the obvious sales hit such a move would create. Surely?

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.
Well, I loved the first one, liked the second one, and I'm hyped for this one.

Amusingly I barely remember anything from the second one other than that I liked it when I played it, and more or less what happened in the ending.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Agent Escalus posted:

The game's Steam page still doesn't have any system requirements on it, which is kind of odd for being so close to release.

I had so much fun with the previous two games that I almost pre-purchased, but I figure no point in even doing that, Steam refunds notwithstanding, until I know if my 2014 rig can even meet the minimums. I have an i7 with a GTX 760 and the latter can't do everything full-blast anymore. (Rise and Batman AK were the first games where I had to dial the settings back a bit, especially Rise since it had the Stereo 3D option built in - love that!)

Also, I'm kind of glad that Eidos learned their lesson to not agree to go platform exclusive AND release their big tentpole game day-and-date against another company's - and doing both simultaneously, no less. Fallout 4's period sales numbers wiping the floor with Rise's was such a sad thing to see for such a great game, and the fact that Microsoft had locked it up on the XB1 until the following year was extra salt.

I'm gonna guess that the recommended specs will not be too far off from Rise, since it's not a whole generational leap and the visual enhancements appear to be more subtle in nature. DigitalFoundry just released a look into the XB1X version of the game here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-LTaT6qGUg

Eidos also announced ahead of the Nvidia conference today that Shadow will be one of the first games to take advantage of RTX ray-tracing technology, whatever that means. Looks amazing though!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2hvCnpDEE5k

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth

Groetgaffel posted:

Amusingly I barely remember anything from the second one other than that I liked it when I played it, and more or less what happened in the ending.

i still can't believe we ended up killing Jesus

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Mycroft Holmes posted:

i still can't believe we ended up killing Jesus

Nothing is too sacred for Lara to slake her thirst for blood on.

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth

Groetgaffel posted:

Nothing is too sacred for Lara to slake her thirst for blood on.

luv 2 defile sacred artifacts so my dead father will love me

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Groetgaffel posted:

I remember the pistol upgrades getting so out of hand that I couldn't take the climactic cutscene seriously. I turned that poor thing into a deformed monstrosity of tacticool.

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

"I couldn't stop saying aloud how miscast Jim Carrey was!"

SettingSun posted:

I must assume that Microsoft paid handsomely for the privilege of exclusivity with Rise so as to offset the obvious sales hit such a move would create. Surely?

Well to an extent, yes, but that still would have been compounded by the fact that Fallout 4 split the hype and buzz, and then when the numbers came in also took so much of the market's revenue dollars during its launch window and for sometime afterward. If Square (or Bethesda) hadn't stayed firm on having that one launch day, the money from the exclusivity deal would've gone further when it came time for the earnings call, no doubt.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I still don't know who this Mr. Ray Tracing is and why he's suddenly such a big deal, but the lighting effects Nvidia showed off at Gamescom look amazeballs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k12cf15VvV4

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Oh ma gawd.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qw7YxDzbSQ

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Someone upthread was asking about PC system requirements. They've been released! Spoilers, you will need a pretty good one.

quote:

MINIMUM:

Processor: i3-3220 INTEL or AMD Equivalent
Memory: 8 GB RAM
Graphics: i3-3220 INTEL or AMD Equivalent
DirectX: Version 11
Storage: 40 GB available space

RECOMMENDED:

Processor: Intel Core i7 4770K, 3.40 Ghz or AMD Ryzen 5 1600, 3.20 Ghz
Memory: 16 GB RAM
Graphics: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB or AMD Radeon RX 480, 8GB
DirectX: Version 12
Storage: 40 GB available space

Here's a cool mini-doc about the soundtrack and its unique instrumentation. And more tomb stuff!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6LRk7SXaE8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32aDanSgaTA

Only 14 days away from launch, or 12 if you're a pre-ordering idiot with early access. :spooky:

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

exquisite tea posted:

I still don't know who this Mr. Ray Tracing is and why he's suddenly such a big deal, but the lighting effects Nvidia showed off at Gamescom look amazeballs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k12cf15VvV4

God dammit. That costume was the straw that broke me, I love spooky murder outfits :swoon:

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

One week to go before the Early Access release! Did any of you pre-ordering idiots waste your money to unlock this game a whole 48 hours before anyone else? If so, I'll be seeing you next Wednesday. ;-*

Based on some leaked Day 1 patch notes, it appears that all versions of Shadow will come with photo mode and immersive mode, which I'm imagining disables most or all UI elements. There's also an option to disable highlight text on pickups! I'm looking forward to taking some sick-nasty screenshots of no-scoping a jaguar with a tastefully applied filter.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

exquisite tea posted:

One week to go before the Early Access release! Did any of you pre-ordering idiots waste your money to unlock this game a whole 48 hours before anyone else? If so, I'll be seeing you next Wednesday. ;-*
Hi, yes I'm one such idiot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
i can't wait to horrifically murder some guys like a serial killer and cry about my dead dad