Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

exquisite tea posted:

There's a little bit of story in each of the lead-ins to the tombs. Some of them are just kind of there, some of them are pretty cool and add in some more combat + platforming sections. Overall I'd say the DLC tombs have been fun to load up and spend an hour in here and there every couple months.

Do you think the season pass is $30 worth of fun? I've got the game on rental so any DLC is going to be a one and done deal for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Necrothatcher posted:

Do you think the season pass is $30 worth of fun? I've got the game on rental so any DLC is going to be a one and done deal for me.
Yeah. There's some fun tombs.

SOTTR is good. I just think it's the weakest of this trilogy. The story isn't as good. Some of that can be put on ROTTR for building up Trinity as this major threat and then it being kind of a wet fart, and then going down really easily, and basically being entirely destroyed. Actionwise it doesn't measure up either. Lara killing the gently caress out those guys at the refinery was the exception. I expected better since the advertising made Lara out to be the Predator, and seemed to promise some awesome jungle setpieces to fight in. The puzzles are where it really outshines the other two games.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
Did they ever add survival mode to this one?

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Picked Shadow up on PS4 from Asda at apparently the right time; it was £21, and yesterday was back up to £34. :toot:

Enjoying it so far, as they've really made an effort to make the exploration setpieces huge and impressive. It looks spectacular. (Although my absolute favourite visuals are from Rise: the opening snow-bound forest at night. It's amazingly atmospheric.)

Have to admit, though, I was a bit shocked that Lara is now an absolutely ruthless and savage murder machine. Yeah, she killed a lot of people in the previous games, but now she's alarmingly good at it and doesn't give a poo poo.

"Please, my son is in the mines. Can you find him?"
"Of course. And I'll kill every living thing that stands in my way."
"Uh, I just want my son out of there safely and untraumatised, so if you could be caref-"
"I WILL KILL EVERY LIVING THING." [Scrapes brain matter off climbing axe with thumbnail]

I rather miss the happy-go-lucky Lara of the PS1 days. Sure, she'd gun down endangered wildlife and musclebound goons with cheery abandon, but she wasn't so psychotically focused about it. Don't suppose she's going to get called on her actions, is she? So far Jonah is acting as her facilitator rather than the person you'd expect to say "Whoa, holy poo poo, you just hunted down and brutally murdered five guys without breaking a sweat! What the gently caress?"

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Ironically this game actually has the least amount of combat in the whole trilogy.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

UnknownMercenary posted:

Ironically this game actually has the least amount of combat in the whole trilogy.

Well, yeah. She's slaughtered her way to Queen of Murder Mountain, so there aren't many left who'd dare to go at her now.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
The parts with the combat in it were the best parts about it in my opinion. The fact that you can reobtain stealth and toy with your enemies in so many ways makes me so disappointed that there isn't more of it.

I was really disappointed by the story though. It kind of built itself up to be saying something and then the story just kind of ends like a wet fart. So far, I think I liked Rise the most if only because the DLC in that game was amazing.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

UnknownMercenary posted:

I think it's partly because Lara has become so drat good at murdering that the combat is over too fast. The longest fight I've had so far only lasted because I was deliberately loving around in cover trying to draw the bad guys to me instead of actively hunting them down. (Worked a treat; I ended up with a pile of corpses next to a hedge as each came to investigate the previous victim's body.)

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Has anyone tried the RTX features yet? I played the main game on xbonex but I built a new gaming computer with an i9-9900k and an rtx 2080ti so I'm kind of interested to try it out. However I'd have to buy it for PC and I'm not sure I really want to do that.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I have a 2080 + Ryzen 2700x and the RTX features are noticeable but performance takes about a 35% hit. It’s enough for my system to brute force in enclosed areas and tombs but outdoor areas start to chug at 1440p. With a 2080ti you might be able to stay above 60fps at all times but probably not at 4K. It does look very nice but more of like as a proof of concept for what ray traced shadows can offer.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Not really connected to Shadow, but I've been playing Last Revelation lately and I just read IGN's review of it. The opening paragraph is... quite something.

quote:

Women. What an incredibly perplexing creation. On one hand, they can be beautiful, intelligent, compassionate, engaging, and on occasion, down right awe inspiring. On the other, they can be ugly, spiteful, shallow, heartless, ambiguous and deliberately deceptive to the point of frustration that borders on insanity. But still, we come back for more.

Yikes.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Necrothatcher posted:

Not really connected to Shadow, but I've been playing Last Revelation lately and I just read IGN's review of it. The opening paragraph is... quite something.

Yikes.

Don't read IGN, hth.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Finished the main game. In terms of playability it's my favourite of the series, as everything finally feels right as Lara fluidly traverses near-impossible terrain or murders legions of goons. Her plunging to her death because I screwed up on the controller was pretty rare this time round. The challenge tombs could have been better integrated into the story as they're still purely "oh, here's a thing you can investigate if you want to, but whatever", but they were more enjoyable to play through than in the first two games.

The story, though... eh. Having both main villains be key members of Trinity who never actually appeared in either previous game was weak, and Rourke's retconning as the guy who killed Anna was really stretching things. As others have said, far too long was spent faffing around in Paititi as well. (It felt oddly like Tomb Raider 2, where Lara spent an age stuck inside the rusty sunken liner; claustrophobic and kind of depressing.) I'm also impressed by Dominguez's determination: he reached adulthood isolated in Paititi, then went into the outside world, completely adapted to modern life, got a doctorate, and became the head of an international conspiracy bent on world domination. Nice going. Or did I miss something that explained his remarkable rise?

I did like that there was an explanation for how everyone in Paititi spoke English, but wouldn't it have been better presented up-front in dialogue rather than hidden away in a corner of a cave? Hell, even Lara being surprised that they were talking English would have worked, but she just seemed to act as if she had a Star Trek universal translator and didn't notice anything unusual.

Still, I liked it enough to want to go back to find the tombs I missed, then try New Game+ for added murderism.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Payndz posted:

I'm also impressed by Dominguez's determination: he reached adulthood isolated in Paititi, then went into the outside world, completely adapted to modern life, got a doctorate, and became the head of an international conspiracy bent on world domination. Nice going. Or did I miss something that explained his remarkable rise?

As far as I was able to tell, nope you didn’t miss anything. He’s just that good apparently

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Carried on playing after the main game finished to find the tombs I missed and build up skills and weapons for an NG+, and huh, the writers really didn't bother addressing what happened, did they? Lara saved the world, killed Dominguez/Kulkalkan and helped the good guys win, but she still has to run around Paititi in disguise, Etzli and his people are still hiding out in a cave (because I didn't do the side mission to retrieve the amulet and bow until later, Etzli didn't even get crowned before the endgame cutscenes!), Kulkalkan's guards and followers are everywhere, and the ordinary people are carrying on as if Trinity are still in charge.

Not having the bad guys respawn after the main game is finished is a shame as well. I had a ton of fun going back to Rise and fast-travelling around Siberia wiping out legions of Trinity's goons to get some extra trophies, but that's not an option here.

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

Steam has the Croft Edition (season pass included) on sale for $41. Is that a good price?

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

MH Knights posted:

Steam has the Croft Edition (season pass included) on sale for $41. Is that a good price?
I enjoyed the game. It's probably the worst of the new trilogy, but not that lacking. It just doesn't come together as a whole as well as the other two. If you liked the other two games than $40 isn't a bad price. If you're more on the fence maybe wait till it goes a little lower.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

MH Knights posted:

I really enjoyed it and thought it might be the best of the three. They've reduced the amount of combat and there's a strong focus on environment traversal. Despite only renting it I picked up the season pass as the challenge tombs were that good.

I think it's kind of underrated tbh.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

I think the DLC tombs have improved the game flow somewhat since most of them incorporate some kind of combat sequence, which are conspicuously scarce in the second act.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

MH Knights posted:

I played it on xbonex and enjoyed it enough that I wanted to play it again and try out RTX graphics (and other PC benefits) that I bought croft edition again on steam sale and only feel a little bit stupid for doing it. All that said, I consider the new Tomb Raider games (2013 onward) to be one of my top game series of the last 15 years, so I may not be the best barometer.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
Oh yeah, finally got around to watching the original ending scene that the day 1 patch removed/changed. I'm not real sure what the difference is tbh.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjnpG2xQIsU

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

teh_Broseph posted:

Oh yeah, finally got around to watching the original ending scene that the day 1 patch removed/changed. I'm not real sure what the difference is tbh.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjnpG2xQIsU
The description says that the envelope from Natla got removed.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

shortspecialbus posted:

Has anyone tried the RTX features yet? I played the main game on xbonex but I built a new gaming computer with an i9-9900k and an rtx 2080ti so I'm kind of interested to try it out. However I'd have to buy it for PC and I'm not sure I really want to do that.

exquisite tea posted:

I have a 2080 + Ryzen 2700x and the RTX features are noticeable but performance takes about a 35% hit. It’s enough for my system to brute force in enclosed areas and tombs but outdoor areas start to chug at 1440p. With a 2080ti you might be able to stay above 60fps at all times but probably not at 4K. It does look very nice but more of like as a proof of concept for what ray traced shadows can offer.

So I had time to play with this and try RTX out.

System is an overclocked 9900k and 2080ti ftw3. 4k, all non-RTX settings at Ultra or generally as high as they go, vsync on, 60fps cap. With RTX at High (Medium doesn't have much of a visual effect) and DLSS on, benchmark averaged in the high 40's with a lot of stuff in the low 50's. Switching RTX to Ultra dropped a couple FPS. With DLSS off, those dropped to about 32fps/30fps with plenty of drops below 30fps.

It would have been playable with DLSS, but holy poo poo did that look bad in my opinion. Textures were constantly going blurry. I ended up turning RTX and DLSS both off and I'm stable at 60 for the most part with everything else maxed 4k and a small fps drop very occasionally into upper 50's.

The RTX was absolutely gorgeous and I loved how it looked but with DLSS turned off it was just completely unplayable at 4k on pretty much the best system you can get :(

I'm really looking forward to seeing RTX improve in performance (and games supporting it and learning how to use it properly) over the coming years, lighting is where I've always felt the biggest impact would be to make things look a lot better.

I probably could have done it at 1080p or maybe even 1440p but I did not test.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Control is the next game to keep an eye out for if you want to see the potential of RTX since unlike Shadow it's been built from the ground up to take advantage of all raytracing features, including screenspace reflections and subsurface scattering.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

exquisite tea posted:

Control is the next game to keep an eye out for if you want to see the potential of RTX since unlike Shadow it's been built from the ground up to take advantage of all raytracing features, including screenspace reflections and subsurface scattering.

control is also made by remedy and they are going full weird with it like max payne and alan wake.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

exquisite tea posted:

Yeah I'm definitely interested in that. It was obviously tacked on to SotTR but it looked really good even with that. I honestly think this is probably the biggest thing for graphics in a while* and once it gets through growing pains it will be awesome. It will depend a lot on how PS5 and whatever the next Xbox is handle ray tracing before it really takes off I think.

* I know ray tracing is as old as computer graphics, but it's never been anything you could use in anything resembling real time for games until super recently

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!
It's probably a shot in the dark but has anyone here managed to solve the audio crackling issue in this game? I tried everything suggested online but nothing helps.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Epic had this available for free a while ago and I'm only just now getting to it. I enjoyed the last game and so far this one seems just as fun. It looks amazing with the graphic defaults on my 3070, but the card is working hard. Might turn quality down just to make it a bit quieter.

I didn't much care for Lara Croft: Terminator so I hope there's less ultraviolence in this one and more raiding of tombs, even if entire villages must be wiped off of the map to satiate my desire for stealing.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Great pick then, Shadow has easily the most tombs out of any game in the franchise I'd say.

They went all in on the combat options(love mudding up and stringing up mooks like a Predator) but then they actually toned down the encounter levels, it was a little disappointing in that regard but I didn't mind cause of all the tomb raiding.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Not to spoil things or create bias beforehand I guess but there actually is less ultraviolence but also more at the same time somehow? Like there is decidedly way, way fewer stealth/combat sections against people in Shadow than 2013 or Rise but Lara is also now Arnold in Predator except you are also the Predator and are Predator-ing regular people.

The tombs are the best in the new series at least. They are still side areas and centred mostly around a single gimmick but more expansive.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I loved the new Tomb Raider games but the third one just felt weaker all around for me. The final boss was garbage. Also the main hub area no matter what I did just absolutely tanked my frame rate.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Those fuckin jaguars if I can go the rest of the game without having to fight another one that'll be alright with me.

EDIT: I thought the switch to Little Lara Croft was charming but my first thought was "MUST FIND WEAPON!" :black101:

Dick Trauma fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Feb 4, 2023

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
I wish they'd quit rebooting the series and get a competent, lighter plot throughline that doesn't insist on spiraling into some sort of climactic Croft family conspiracy theory. None of the games has ever had the chops to pull it off, and it's a huge distraction from all sorts of other narrower narrative options.

Lord Packinham
Dec 30, 2006
:<

Discendo Vox posted:

I wish they'd quit rebooting the series and get a competent, lighter plot throughline that doesn't insist on spiraling into some sort of climactic Croft family conspiracy theory. None of the games has ever had the chops to pull it off, and it's a huge distraction from all sorts of other narrower narrative options.

I liked the reboots but it was clear by the 2nd one that they really didn’t know what to do, as it was probably going to be hard to draw a line from reboot Lara to classic Lara, which is what I thought the plot was but they just teased Lara getting double pistols and becoming the “tomb raider” for like three games straight.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
^Essentially yeah.^

Discendo Vox posted:

I was really hoping was that the next game would be set in the same continuity, but feature a more confident and snarky Lara Croft, i.e. how they explained that the trilogy was about her "becoming" more like Classic Lara. Give her dual pistols and an Indiana Jones/Uncharted adventure without any grand conspiracies or family secrets to uncover. Give her some worthy rivals with personalities and maybe some heel and face turns throughout. The trilogy of the reboot titles still look amazing and play well, there's nothing that really ages them, and they were popular by pretty much anyone but Square-Enix's metrics.

In any case I am glad that Crystal Dynamics is still developing and hopefully Amazon Games will treat them better than Square-Enix did.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

This last reboot had the best writing of anything in the franchise but the big conspiracy still wasn’t great. They spent a game making a big deal out of it, and it reveals itself to be a real wet fart in the final installment. Which is just the way it goes with the secret society trope most of the time. Trinity is hinted at in the first game if you find all the GPS caches but it’s the middle game that actually sets them up as a big deal.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Even by the middle game the giant superconspiracy is already populated and led by morons, with characters popping into existence and having nonsensical lifelong secrets, poorly managed, to run it. Generally speaking, you have to work really hard to make a superconspiracy group villain work in that sort of narrative, let alone one that you want to completely resolve in three games. Nothing about trinity was well-conveyed or earned; it was a teetering mound of contrivances.

A serious problem with the latest reboot was that after the first game, it's clear they wanted to do completely different plots for each following game, with arcs that had only tangential relationships to each other. This was made worse by execrably written comic book tie-ins that bridged each release. I was astonished to find out that Pratchett was attached to both the first and second game.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Feb 5, 2023

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

A weird thing I always thought of is that first and third games' titles are kind of reversed? Like in the context of the first game Lara is trying to live up to her dead father and constantly questioning whether or not she is capable so in the first game she would be in the shadow of her father (the previous Tomb Raider). In the second game Lara would have stepped out from that shadow and are now rising to her own potential to be the new Tomb Raider. Then in the third game she is now the new Tomb Raider.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I just killed half a dozen "pillagers" ostensibly because they used slave labor to raid tombs while Lara is a hand-crafted solo artisanal tomb raider, which is totally different.

Also: In a single afternoon's adventure Little Lara caused a couple thousand pounds of damages to her home and drove her father to shoot himself, which sort of explains how she turned out the way she did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Lara promotes sustainability by creating at least one new tomb for each one that she raids.