Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
WHO IS BEST CAT
Bartender
Pianist
Cellist
Singer
View Results

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Too bad I had a prior engagement or I'd have dropped by. Maybe next time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Maynard was great and all, but could he do this?

:colbert:

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Has anyone ever jazzed so hard their cheeks burst? This guy looks close.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
WE MADE THE SINGER SAD! :qq:

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Daeren posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNgxyL5zEAk

So hi. I was the writer for the Cellist...

We actually tried this model at first in playtesting and it just ended up sucking a lot and not being much fun because money is used for tangible upgrades and such more than in Four Swords where it's mostly bragging rights. We do keep a scoreboard to let people have that feeling, though.

Hey, awesome work, this game is a piece of art. I hope you didn't have to ingest anything too life-threatening in the pursuit of creativity while you were writing... :catdrugs:

Yeah, the big pile of stuff getting dumped on to the stage is very Four Swords, does it start/stop per player or is it a combined thing for all of them? Dividing up the money evenly definitely seems like the best way to go, anyway, but did you ever consider adding tools to disrupt other players (e.g. bounce them out of the way because NO I WANT THAT SHARD)?

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED

Crazy Achmed posted:

Yeah, the big pile of stuff getting dumped on to the stage is very Four Swords, does it start/stop per player or is it a combined thing for all of them? Dividing up the money evenly definitely seems like the best way to go, anyway, but did you ever consider adding tools to disrupt other players (e.g. bounce them out of the way because NO I WANT THAT SHARD)?

We didn't have as much time as we thought to add tools thanks to needing to make sure everything else worked, but not really? The physgun alone is a pretty effective way to grief your friends by crushing them with large vehicles and stuff, and we actually patched out an oversight that let people get access to the general tool gun from Gmod, because people immediately started using it to delete the trolley whenever it was called. As for the junk lever, the pile that comes out is everything the player who pulls the lever stole since the last time they cashed out, so that is in fact tracked individually.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

Cellist posted:

art is always most interesting when it's basically just extremely elaborate high concept trolling is what im getting at.
where do, uh

recursive dickpics fit into this grand scheme of things

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED

Fish Noise posted:

where do, uh

recursive dickpics fit into this grand scheme of things

"if you havent smoked a bowl and stared at a video of someone zooming in on a mandelbrot set while trance music plays i suggest you do so and then consider the transcendent beauty that emerges from applying this state of mind to the penis, nature's fractal" - the Cellist, probably

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?
i see the writing for the expansion is in progress already

no cats, bad map montage
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LrhTrj_Uc0Q
Music:
Stan Kenton - Also Sprach Zarathustra

A pianist turned band leader, Stan Kenton was renowned for putting together big bands with immense amounts of talent and producing very fun arrangements. He acted as a mentor to an immense number of talented musicians and put together some of the first jazz education programs through his jazz clinics. His touring bands were very popular and widely known for their bombastic brass sections, where enthusiasm was often prioritized over "being correct." Most of the albums included a couple of covers in additional to the original arrangements. Maynard Ferguson was a frequent soloist for the band.

His entire library was donated to University of North Texas, the first university to have a full studio and jazz studies program in the US. I'll cover that later.

We'll cover him later too. :colbert: I have a Dizzy Gillespie horn that I left with my parents that was made out of an old heavy-rear end student Yamaha. I loved that thing because the backpressure was a little higher so I could tuck my chin down and tear out high stuff for days but I was never allowed to play it at any functions. I'll probably try to bring it back for gig band poo poo when I get back to school.

The first ending!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7Lk4-R_RVg

:negative:

Next Up: fifth cat???

The Bold Kobold
Aug 11, 2014

Bold to the point of certain death.
Does anyone know what that song they were playing was?

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?
It was newer prog rock, good album.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BxheA86FODg

Atlatl fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Aug 21, 2018

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

I'm currently doing a renegade run off this.
Butterscotch pudding mix doesn't exist here and caramel is only available as instant mix. Plus bake-it-yourself bread rolls are already semi-baked instead of frozen after the first rise, so I'm making my own butterscotch pudding and bread rolls.

I'll post a trip report at some point, if you're ok with that.

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?

Geemer posted:

hell yeah go for it

also sorry for the lack of updates recently, been busy. I'll catch up this week. but hey, at least my jello came in:

do not attempt to cook at home like this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_lJZvN4UKtQ

The rolls are really good and I had to give most of them to my neighbors so I didn't eat the whole pan.

Next Up: non-filler episode

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED

Geemer posted:

I'm currently doing a renegade run off this.
Butterscotch pudding mix doesn't exist here and caramel is only available as instant mix. Plus bake-it-yourself bread rolls are already semi-baked instead of frozen after the first rise, so I'm making my own butterscotch pudding and bread rolls.

Legit, if anyone wants to try to improv off the recipe, good or bad resullts, I approve.

Also I'm going to say seeing the final results made my heart seize up and my throat choke up with familiarity, Atlatl, so uh. Thank you. I'm very glad you and your neighbors liked it. Your unorthodox preparation method was good poo poo too.

also eat the whole pan you coward

Daeren fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Aug 26, 2018

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
This game looks incredibly fun and I am seriously digging this LP. Excellent choices for the soundtrack, I've never heard that Stan Kenton cover of Also Sprach Zarathustra and it's just nuts. A+ great job, keep it up!

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Atlatl posted:

It was newer prog rock, good album.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BxheA86FODg

I will say it's a little messed up it's prog and not jazz in the center of the universe

Clayren
Jun 4, 2008

grandma plz don't folow me on twiter its embarassing, if u want to know what animes im watching jsut read the family newsletter like normal

Wrestlepig posted:

I will say it's a little messed up it's prog and not jazz in the center of the universe

There is nothing more fitting for the exploration of cosmic wonder and weirdness than prog rock. :colbert:

Except maybe space rock, but space rock is just prog rock specifically ABOUT space and not really deserving of its own genre.

Sordas Volantyr
Jan 11, 2015

Now, everybody, walk like a Jekhar.

(God, these running animations are terrible.)
Ah, so that was a recipe for monkey bread! I always loved that stuff, but I can definitely agree that it's the kind of thing no restaurant would be caught dead serving. Of course, the recipe that we always used in our family decidedly did not have butterscotch Jell-O mix in it!

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Atlatl posted:

hell yeah go for it

Daeren posted:

Legit, if anyone wants to try to improv off the recipe, good or bad resullts, I approve.

Welcome to my Bomb-rear end Sticky Buns RENEGADE run!

Butterscotch pudding mix doesn't exist here and caramel is only available as instant mix. Also, our bake-at-home bread is already semi-baked instead of frozen after the first rise, for sane handling times.
So, rather than importing pudding mix and frozen bread rolls (I'm not even sure how that last one would work) and pay 10x more in shipping than the products themselves, I've opted for the renegade route of making my own butterscotch and bread rolls.

Bread Rolls
Any basic white bread recipe will do, but here's the one I used:
  • 500 g (4 cups) plain flour
  • 10 g (2 tsp) salt
  • 20 g (0.1 cups) butter (room temperature)
  • 7 g (1 packet) dried yeast
  • 300 ml (1¼ cups) water (lukewarm)
Big ups for including some unit conversions in the actual game, by the way.

I chucked all that stuff into the bread maker and set it to dough only.

I turned it off after the first rise and formed my rolls.

Which I then wrapped in aluminium* foil and froze because I needed to go buy some more ingredients for extra authenticity.

Butterscotch-pudding-pecan glaze
Butterscotch is basically caramel, but made with brown sugar.

Instead of mixing the brown sugar into the pudding mix, I just turned that into butterscotch by melting it with some butter and a pinch of salt.

Then turn off the heat, chuck in the chopped pecans and mix thoroughly to prevent it from turning into a solid slab.

Add in the butter and then the (plain) pudding mix, turning it back up to low heat because you're not patient enough to wait for the butter to melt on its own. Also, just give up on hopes of getting a consistent mix.

Flavor Magic

Arrange frozen rolls into a 9x13 pan and scoop on your mix, hope for the best.

Realize you're an idiot that forgot to add the cinnamon while mixing in the butter and pudding mix and sprinkle it on like a loving chump.

Hope the flavor magic was deep enough.

Send it back to jail, but this time turn on the heat.

Let it out and allow it to cool after it's done serving its time for its flavor magic crimes.

It turned out kinda different from Atlatl's paragon run, but still tastes amazing.

Options for possibly improving the glaze:
  • After mixing in the pecans with the butterscotch, spread that over the rolls. Then, seperately, melt the butter and combine with pudding mix and cinnamon. Drizzle that over the rolls with butterscotch and pecans.
  • Substitute (some of) the butter with milk or cream. It's basically nearly the same recipe as a caramel-walnut-cream pie filling already anyway, might as well take it a bit closer and get something more fluid.

* This is the only correct spelling. Noah Webster is a piece of poo poo. Fite me!

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?
as long as it tastes good, that's all that matters!

I'm hype to turn this into a sticky bun/monkeybread/sugarbreads cooking thread :stoked:

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?
I take the right path during the intro, get Pianist's next quest, and meet worst cat.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LhMDVRHO7gE

h e l l p o r t a l s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pY0jQWRz8AI

Next Up: bad map bonanza

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
well that's unexpected

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED

Wrestlepig posted:

well that's unexpected

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9270u0MkI2w

:unsmigghh:

OOrochi
Jan 19, 2017

On my honor as the Dawnspear.
Spooky

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot
I subscribed because I absolutely love the title

The Bold Kobold
Aug 11, 2014

Bold to the point of certain death.
I might actually have to make one of those recipes at some point, they looked really good.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

Speaking of the Cellist, tho

Daeren posted:

"if you havent smoked a bowl and stared at a video of someone zooming in on a mandelbrot set while trance music plays i suggest you do so and then consider the transcendent beauty that emerges from applying this state of mind to the penis, nature's fractal" - the Cellist, probably
I feel like this is too abstract to really warrant burying it under tags and links but just in case, have :nws: this :nws:

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

Fish Noise posted:

I feel like this is too abstract to really warrant burying it under tags and links but just in case, have :nws: this :nws:

That is absolutely brilliant. :allears:

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Do I really need CS:Source for these maps to not look like unfinished error maps? I get a ton of broken textures on maps that are not Minecraft.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Scalding Coffee posted:

Do I really need CS:Source for these maps to not look like unfinished error maps? I get a ton of broken textures on maps that are not Minecraft.

If you search google for 'gmod css content' you'll find a bunch of sites that host texture packs. If you need further instructions, watch one of the hundreds of youtube videos on the topic, I suppose.

Side effect I encountered: Kleiner's eye textures got broken, so I got rid of all the eyeball textures in the content I downloaded and now they're only broken when the map itself has a copy of eyeball textures in it.

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED

Fish Noise posted:

loving :laffo:, I was not expecting this to happen.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Fish Noise posted:

The best part is toking the broken lightbulb, I think.

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?

Fish Noise posted:

lmao it's going in the op

e:

Scalding Coffee posted:

Yeah, unfortunately the modders recommend having CS:Source, HL2 with the episodes, and TF2 so that you have maximum compatibility with most maps. Also, sorry I missed your message (not used to checking those) but the game saves your progress automatically as you go. It's based on the host though, so if you join someone else then you're starting new with them, except you get any ng+ bonuses they've gotten.

There's a setup FAQ here with instructions on everything.

Atlatl fucked around with this message at 11:05 on Aug 29, 2018

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

CS:S has options for getting the textures/models, but they're in the grey area of legality if you're not paying for the game. I'd rather not risk trouble by saying more than "you can probably google it".

Most non-custom Garry's Mod stuff pretty much expects you to have The Orange Box, though. (For context, that's where you'd get Half-Life 2, its episodes, and TF2, usually. Rarely you'll find a map with Portal textures, too.)

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
The texture pack pretty much solved the problems. Amazing how many maps use CSS and not the other CS games.
Left 4 Dead 2 textures were also used for one map.

It would really speed things up to get rid of some weapons and break up the weapon tier tree so I can quick swap. What is the point of the weapons?

Iamgoofball
Jul 1, 2015

Scalding Coffee posted:

The texture pack pretty much solved the problems. Amazing how many maps use CSS and not the other CS games.
Left 4 Dead 2 textures were also used for one map.

It would really speed things up to get rid of some weapons and break up the weapon tier tree so I can quick swap. What is the point of the weapons?

Some maps have scripting requiring you to actually shoot stuff to progress, so they make sure you've got some kind of bullet hose.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Iamgoofball posted:

Some maps have scripting requiring you to actually shoot stuff to progress, so they make sure you've got some kind of bullet hose.

Likewise, the crowbar can be used to break destructable objects that the actual Jazz Gear can't.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
NG+ is rather punishing for that dialog and redoing task dialogs with every cat. So much clicking through old dialog just to complete a new task.

Scalding Coffee fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Aug 29, 2018

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

...oh

oh jesus

oh jesus christ

The smart thing to do would be to summon the trolley and bail out of this mess immediately, then dig around to try and fill out source content as much as reasonably possible.

I'm not smart.

I'm stubborn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I think you should speedrun the shards and get in NG+ before you turn those tasks in. Saving up tasks for every NG+ would be the smart thing to do.