Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
WHO IS BEST CAT
Bartender
Pianist
Cellist
Singer
View Results

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?
:siren: saturdays are for the cats. caturdays. actually it's sunday where I'm at but gently caress you you can't tell me how to live my life. server's up at 9 AM GMT+10 Sunday, which is 6 PM US Central time Saturday. pregame and play jazztronauts. I'll be on ng++ :siren:

Scalding Coffee posted:

I think you should speedrun the shards and get in NG+ before you turn those tasks in. Saving up tasks for every NG+ would be the smart thing to do.

I mean technically the most efficient route would be to just rush shards, get the bad end in ng+ without getting any quests at all, and then do everything in ng++ but that's also not as much fun.

Fish Noise posted:

I'm stubborn.

The most useful thing with the comments that load on the screens and the trolley are to tip you off if you're diving head first into magenta checkerboard hell.

:siren: Filler eps incoming, no cats, just weird maps and hell portals. :siren:

Nintendo port map bonanza.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=baZ7YO4YWXI
Music:
Dizzy Gillespie - Manteca
Tiny Tim - Livin' In the Sunlight, Lovin' In the Moon Light

Dizzy Gillespie plays trumpet in a way that breaks pretty much every rule of how it's traditionally taught, from his chin-down posture to his signature puffy cheeks. He perfected a technique called circular breathing, where you use your cheeks as a surge volume full of air so you can keep playing while you breath through your nose so you don't have to pause to breath. It requires really strong cheek muscles! Dizzy was also known for his trumpets with bent horns, which provided two benefits: 1) increased backpressure, which helps with range and is better for cyircular breathing at the cost of a less open tonal quality, and 2) allows you to duck your chin while still projecting sound up and out instead of into the floor/crowd.

The Goldeneye Dam map again, protips and trolley tricks with Iamgoofball, and a map bad end. :siren: bunch of flashing lights from 2:00 to 2:08 :siren:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IrAY45Ce5xo
Music:
UNT One O'Clock Lab Band feat. Sean Jones - Ray Noble - Cherokee
Gears of War 2 - Landown
Gears of War 2 - Finale
Hans Zimmer - Rangers Lead the Way [Victory Theme]

As previously mentioned, the University of North Texas was one of the first to have a studio and jazz musician program, and is still perhaps the most prestigious major university for jazz education. Remember that Stan Kenton donated his entire music library to them. The Lab Bands are named after the time slot they occupy in the course schedule, with the One O'Clock being the most competitive to try out for. The later Lab Bands (Two O'Clock, Three O'Clock) are where everyone else is filtered in to, but they're still incredibly talented. The tryouts are hard even by professional standards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bold Kobold
Aug 11, 2014

Bold to the point of certain death.
My voice continues to go into a microphone and come out nasally and soft. :cripes:

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Much like Geemer, I couldn't be bothered looking for can't get butterscotch pudding in this part of the world. Also missing because I didn't want to go to the supermarket: pecans, brown sugar and frozen bread rolls. But hey, jamming and improvisation goes hand in hand with jazz and prog so three, two, one, let's jam:

I had about a loaf's worth of bread flour mixture sitting around that I got on clearance special, it's basically flour with extra gluten plus a bit of oil and salt already mixed in, I think. My recipe I think ends up similar to Geemer's: about 3 1/4 cups of flour mixture, 3/4 cup of warm water, a teaspoon of yeast and another of sugar.
I diverge here because I don't have a bread machine and made my dough the hard way. Much like an insufferable guitarist who thumbs their nose at anyone crass enough to use an amplifier that isn't valve-only and full analogue.

With the buns safely taken care of OR SO I THOUGHT I moved on to the sauce. I get the idea of what direction the flavour should be going in - butterscotch/caramel, some cinnamon spice and somewhat subtle nuttiness. I didn't have brown sugar but did have molasses, so I took a wild guess and it turns out that a heaped teaspoon of molasses is about the right amount to add to 1/2 a cup of white sugar to un-refine it. Note the two containers of cinnamon, pretty much every time I see spices like that on a recipe I reflexively double or triple the quantity: I put in about 3 heaped teaspoons AND REGRET NOTHING. Also 1/4 teaspoon of ground cloves just to give the spiciness an extra edge.
I went with the 1-stick butter option and also added a tablespoon of cornflour (not pictured) to replace the thickeners that would have been in the jello pudding.

One double boiler later and this is smelling delicious - I thought I'd hosed up by adding the cloves but it worked out. Unfortunately I half-assed the mixing and the end result ended up with some graininess.

As I mentioned, I didn't have pecans but fortunately one of my flatmates had excess walnuts, so I snapped them into bits and added them to the sauce:

There was a reasonable amount of sauce for each bun - I think that if I'd gone with the double-butter option I'd have had way too much. Or be dead of a heart attack.

My house is cold so I set the oven to about 50°C, put the buns in and switched it off. An hour later, they were plump and risen! At this point I went to bed and waited for the Deep Flavor MagicTM.

9 hours later, disaster struck: I don't know why but the buns had all deflated. I'm no master baker so I'm sure I did something stupid here (I guess they deflated when they cooled? maybe using frozen rolls delays the rising, giving time for marination)but, much like when you play a wrong note on stage, the show must go on.

Turns out that after the recommended 20 minutes' baking time the results are every bit as delicious as space cats and stock-photo prog rockers at the centre of the universe had led me to believe. Crispy and chewy sauce/glaze, soft and bouncy bread, just not quite the expected shape. But if anyone can tell me how not to gently caress it up I'll get it better next time!

And there you have it, bomb-rear end sticky buns. Thanks, jazztronauts!

Crazy Achmed fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Sep 1, 2018

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?
they're good buns, my dude. added to the op

:siren: server's up, come on down. or not. :siren:

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Nevermind.

Scalding Coffee fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Sep 2, 2018

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Thanks for helping me become king of thieves!

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?
:siren: shop is closed up for now! :siren:

a preview

Thanks to geemer and cowbell for coming out.

congrats to geemer on being the trash king of thieves

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Not shown is the server crashing and resetting progress a few times. Atlatl would have won in the end, but I did join at a later time, so I may be wrong.

edit: I don't know why I couldn't join your game until I tried about four different ways.

Scalding Coffee fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Sep 2, 2018

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?

Crazy Achmed posted:

9 hours later, disaster struck: I don't know why but the buns had all deflated.

Time to drop some truth on this mystery

What you got on your hands there is a classic case of overproofing the dough. That yeast you tossed in there to make that bomb rear end bread? It eats up the sugar to grow fat and happy, leaving you with a fantastic rise. But after 9 hours? That yeast has eaten up every drat little morsel left and exhausted itself. Stuffed full and tired, it went back to bed. Without food, yeast goes dormant, dormant yeast means no more rise.

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?
woah food knowledge

Scalding Coffee posted:

Not shown is the server crashing and resetting progress a few times. Atlatl would have won in the end, but I did join at a later time, so I may be wrong.

edit: I don't know why I couldn't join your game until I tried about four different ways.

Having to reload the server due to map nukes didn't help.

here, have a real preview of the next mp recordings:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSWdItUy0sY

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Atlatl posted:

woah food knowledge

:yosnice:

Scalding Coffee posted:

You joined only one map after I did. And all the props you steal are saved in the host's sv.db in real time, so nothing was lost with the crashes or forced map changes.
I agree with the server browser being hot garbage, though. Couldn't get it to show Atlatl's game for the life of me. I had to go back to Steam and join his game through the friend icon every time.

The Bold Kobold
Aug 11, 2014

Atlatl posted:

woah food knowledge

Amazing.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

Geemer posted:

You joined only one map after I did. And all the props you steal are saved in the host's sv.db in real time, so nothing was lost with the crashes or forced map changes.
I agree with the server browser being hot garbage, though. Couldn't get it to show Atlatl's game for the life of me. I had to go back to Steam and join his game through the friend icon every time.
Do p2p servers show up on the browser? I don't really know gmod. I spent like 50 minutes trying to figure out the drat thing (at least 10 of that was just "where the gently caress are the voice settings") before concluding "I probably should've added to friends waaay earlier" and gave up.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
It's just like my corporate mascot video games.

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?
So for future reference when I'm running p2p the best (only?) way to join is by using the friends menu on Steam to join.

Round 2:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6xWvrMXcPA

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
The only way I was able to join your server was by being in Garry's Mod, Tab+Shift the friend's list with your name, and click to join.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Scalding Coffee posted:

The only way I was able to join your server was by being in Garry's Mod, Tab+Shift the friend's list with your name, and click to join.

I did basically the same, but instead right-clicked his icon on the Steam main program's "Friends currently playing..." thing.

I guess that another option would be for Atlatl to post their IP and whatever port GMod uses for people to join.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
https://twitter.com/sonicforces/status/1032882118873899009

Click through for the thread, it's got some good ones.

FAT BATMAN
Dec 12, 2009

Oh man I love this Lets Play! What a fun charming game, with fun charming characters! And I'm extra pleased you gave props to UNT. Their radio station, 88.1FM The One KNTU (rumor has it that it used to be a naughtier acronym), is the reason I got into jazz music at a young age, and the One O'Clock Lab Band is incredible.
One of my favorite songs I've heard on there is called (I Can't Believe) I 8 da Whole / Half Thing and I've always been curious what kind of music theory joke is behind the title. I assume it must be.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Those hell cubes tend to crash my computer. Makes it hard to build that multiplier.

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?

Geemer posted:

I guess that another option would be for Atlatl to post their IP and whatever port GMod uses for people to join.

way too lazy for this

oh man they got dril onboard for the expansion

While I lived in Dallas I used to go to Denton Jazz Fest every year with my dad, UNT always had a stage reserved for all the lab bands to play on and they always killed it. KNTU is still one of the best radio stations I've ever listened to imo.

Trying to get more quest stuff and our second to last meeting with fifth cat.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qs1RcrwqYbk
Music:
Charles Mingus - Moanin'

Charles Mingus was a huge angry man who was a double bass prodigy and lead incredibly talented bands. He is perhaps the best ensemble jazz composer and was influenced by the generation of band leaders before him, especially Duke Ellington. He suffered heavily from depression, but was more of the I'm going to smash this $20k bass on stage sort than sad. He's one of the few people to get fired from Duke Ellington's band (due to an onstage fight with their trombonist), would often try to fight band members and/or the audience, fired a shotgun off in his own apartment, and punched a guy in the face while they were working on a score.

Of course, he's better known for leading some incredible bands and pushing the New Orleans style of collective improvisation!

:tubular: PROP SURFING :tubular:
So a brief explanation of what the whole standing on boxes and getting flung into the air thing was in that last video: it's called prop surfing, and is a physics trick in the source engine. The basic idea is that you stand on top of something you can move, then move it towards yourself somehow. In gmod, the easiest way to achieve this is by standing on something, selecting it with the physics gun, and scrolling to drag the item closer to you. We did this to attempt to fly up and reach a shard that was out of jumping distance.

The source engine will try to push you away from the incoming object. However, you're still holding the object and dragging it into yourself, so the object follows you and continues to push you away. Due to the way that collisions are resolved, this results in you being pushed up and/or away from the thing you're surfing on, allowing you to effectively fly. You can also freely walk around on top of the object to steer it in different directions. However, this is generally not the most stable thing ever, and your chances of it ending in you getting crushed by your own prop or falling to your death are pretty high. Using a wide, flat object like a tin roofing panel will maximize your chances of success.

Youtube has a couple of guides on it (especially for doing it in game modes where you don't have access to the phys gun) if you want to see more examples of it.

Card games with cats and a bad end.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRfAzgcf1pg
Music:
Duke Ellington - Caravan

Duke Ellington was a jazz orchestra leader who got his start in the 20s and really helped popularize jazz around the world. He helped compose more standards than anyone else, toured around the world, and mentored many great musicians. He made his break in Harlem during the Harlem Renaissance while playing in clubs and at house parties. His radio and record hits brought jazz into the mainstream in America during the 20s and 30s.

Next Up: quest objectives in multiplayer, more cats

Atlatl fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Sep 7, 2018

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I am going to be so happy to be finished with all the tasks, cause after a few new games, I forgot who gave them.

The Bold Kobold
Aug 11, 2014

I need to hop onto the next multiplayer one, definitely.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

I live in Denton and the UNT jazz program is :krad:

There was an Al Jarreau cover band at the last jazz fest and that was pretty cool

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
The last task to finish is finding Alyx. Never came across an Alyx before.

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?
Heads up, I'm getting activated to deal with typhoon MANGOSTEEN MANGKHUT which is gonna run the island over on Monday so probably no updates until I get power back at home and am not sleeping at work for the initial response and recovery.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Atlatl posted:

Heads up, I'm getting activated to deal with typhoon MANGOSTEEN MANGKHUT which is gonna run the island over on Monday so probably no updates until I get power back at home and am not sleeping at work for the initial response and recovery.

Stay safe :ohdear:

Scalding Coffee posted:

The last task to finish is finding Alyx. Never came across an Alyx before.

It took me 5 days of searching. Your best bets are finding one of the map packs that's the HL2 campaign for GMod and then using console to change maps within it to one that contains Alyx (scroll up on the console to check which other maps were in the pack). Note that changing maps this way will kick out any friends that may have connected, so maybe wait until they're back in before picking her up.
Alternatively you could be a chump and use the debug command to force that map someone made with all the props needed for Jazztronauts quests in it to be selected. Or, if you're an even bigger chump use the cheat command to give x amount of quest progress. Both commands are described on the Jazztronauts Github page.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Geemer posted:

It took me 5 days of searching. Your best bets are finding one of the map packs that's the HL2 campaign for GMod and then using console to change maps within it to one that contains Alyx (scroll up on the console to check which other maps were in the pack). Note that changing maps this way will kick out any friends that may have connected, so maybe wait until they're back in before picking her up.
Alternatively you could be a chump and use the debug command to force that map someone made with all the props needed for Jazztronauts quests in it to be selected. Or, if you're an even bigger chump use the cheat command to give x amount of quest progress. Both commands are described on the Jazztronauts Github page.

I lucked out and found her in someone's My First Test Map.

I don't recommend going into My First Test Maps, they tend to crash your game and/or spawn you five thousand feet in the air without the chance to switch to your fall-damage-immunity narutos.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
I hope you're ok, OP, I'm really enjoying this LP and I'm looking forward to your next update.

Erwin the German
May 30, 2011

:3

KataraniSword posted:

I lucked out and found her in someone's My First Test Map.

I don't recommend going into My First Test Maps, they tend to crash your game and/or spawn you five thousand feet in the air without the chance to switch to your fall-damage-immunity narutos.

I was initially dreading having to find her, but after five clicks on the TV I found a lovely map literally called "Alyx dead" or some variation of that. It's just a flat, grassy corridor with a slight hill and a mourning Barney and Eli sobbing over a dead Alyx. Needless to say, I disrupted the funeral. :wave:

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
It took a few hours of changing channels, but I found an Alyx riding a combine like a horse. I really hate death run maps and any map with teleport traps.

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?
I'm good just not gonna have power at my place possibly for a few more days and getting slow killed by work.

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?
:siren: im mostly alive :siren:

i get my kleiner out of the ng++ intro, then don corleone, mac tonight, and pepsiman go on a mission from god to destroy all spooky maps (their shipping name is pepsimac)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKl3HhVyFII
Music:
Chet Baker - Autumn Leaves

Chet Baker was a trumpeter and vocalist known for his soft, laid back sound. Many compared his voice to Frank Sinatra's. He struggled with drugs his whole life, eventually dying from a fall from a hotel after speedballing heroin and cocaine. At one point he got all of his teeth knocked out after getting jumped during what most people presume was a drug deal, and he had to relearn his embouchure (basically had to relearn the lips part of the trumpet) with his dentures on.

Next Up: pepsimac, maybe more cats

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I agree with A Pepsi.

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?
HACKING GOGGLES
In the next video you'll see a few times where I switch to an item that causes a bunch of yellow boxes, text, and green lines to show up on the screen. Those are the hacking goggles, which visualize the map's triggers, which are a type of brush that you normally can't see. Most of the triggers are trigger_once, trigger_multiple, trigger_look, and trigger_proximity, which are used to help program the map for various things. You can use the hacking goggles to figure out how to progress in a map that's heavily constrained by triggers, such as a story map, puzzle map, or spooky map.

You'll see a few jumpscares/spookums in these maps that are trigger_look (it spawns something and plays a sound when you turn around, etc.) and other things that have delayed timing. Triggers that rely on each other are connected by green lines, and you can see a box travel along it and the green line will light up when one trigger is signaling the next. Some of these are delayed, hence the slow moving boxes.

Don Corleon, Pepsiman, and Mac Tonight stumble though a series of spooky "puzzle" maps and try not to crash. (it's quest filler but this one's the best)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3nO4Bb_A9GA
Music:
Jimmy Smith - Portuguese Soul

Pianist puts on a recorder concerto, and it's bad movie night.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1Rr217VTaA

Next Up: Cellist's last cutscene, more quests

ZeButler
Oct 2, 2013

That movie night scene was loving great, one of the few times where the Cellist and Pianist aren't at each other's throats, it seems. Is it based off an actual movie, or something the writers came up with?

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Atlatl posted:

HACKING GOGGLES

What I should've probably used to see if the buttons were labeled before nuking us on that map. They were just slightly luminous cubes with the numbers 1 through 4 on them in normal view. Oh well, live and learn!

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

ZeButler posted:

That movie night scene was loving great, one of the few times where the Cellist and Pianist aren't at each other's throats, it seems. Is it based off an actual movie, or something the writers came up with?

I am about 95% certain the movie in question is Ninja III: The Domination. If it’s not that one, it’s one of the other Cannon Films ninja movies of the early 80s.

EDIT: The stuff about Lifeforce is all 100% legit as well. Both are definite treats if you love B-movie schlock.

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Sep 18, 2018

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED

KataraniSword posted:

I am about 95% certain the movie in question is Ninja III: The Domination. If it’s not that one, it’s one of the other Cannon Films ninja movies of the early 80s.

EDIT: The stuff about Lifeforce is all 100% legit as well. Both are definite treats if you love B-movie schlock.

It sure is. We wrote the scene basically half-pretending the first couple minutes of the movie were the whole movie because we legit weren't sure people would believe it wasn't. The Ninja Trilogy is a head trip.

And yeah, I was the one who put in the comments about Lifeforce. What a weird loving movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Daeren posted:

It sure is. We wrote the scene basically half-pretending the first couple minutes of the movie were the whole movie because we legit weren't sure people would believe it wasn't. The Ninja Trilogy is a head trip.

And yeah, I was the one who put in the comments about Lifeforce. What a weird loving movie.

Holy loving poo poo. :popeye:
And here I was thinking (like an idiot) that you guys just made up this amazing movie.