Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Chris James 2 posted:

Last July he went in more detail with main GQ too https://www.gq.com/story/evan-peters-pose-interview

The timing in particular of the new "taking a break" comment makes it likely this upcoming 9th season (only Emma and Gus Kenworthy confirmed for so far) is the first without Evan

Confirmed at WonderCon https://twitter.com/CandidlyCarlo/status/1113165762493997056

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://www.instagram.com/p/BwE7SDvB_FO/ American Horror Story: 1984

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

Alright! I'm on board so far!

1984 obviously sounds like a dystopian steampunk "Big Brother is watching you" kind of season which sounds super cool, but that clip looked a lot more focused on the "84" part of "1984" which I've been wanting for years; a gory slasher season with 80's aesthetics drawing from Friday the 13th, Nightmare on Elm Street, etc.

If that is the way they're going though, I'm worried they could be just a bit late to that given that Stranger Things is a show now. Definitely interested in the teasers to come as we try to piece this together!

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Oh god yes

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

:same:

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Fuckin finally. Been wanting a slasher themed season since this whole thing began!!

epenthesis
Jan 12, 2008

I'M TAKIN' YOU PUNKS DOWN!
Imma watch the hell out of this, but seems like much more well-worn territory than it would have been a few years ago; there’s now been Scream Queens, Scream, Slasher, and I think I might be forgetting one.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Speaking of which iirc Scream Queens is rumoured for a third season or possibly movie atm

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Maybe it can be good again.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Season one was a gem. I've still never finished 2

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

I liked the first season of Slasher when I saw it while I still had Netflix

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
Prediction: The first episode will be good.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

esperterra posted:

Speaking of which iirc Scream Queens is rumoured for a third season or possibly movie atm

YASSSSSSSSSSSSS

I liked season 2 but it was def a step down from the sheer perfection of S1

kjetting
Jan 18, 2004

Hammer Time

timp posted:

1984 obviously sounds like a dystopian steampunk "Big Brother is watching you" kind of season which sounds super cool, but that clip looked a lot more focused on the "84" part of "1984" which I've been wanting for years; a gory slasher season with 80's aesthetics drawing from Friday the 13th, Nightmare on Elm Street, etc.

I think it would have been weird if they WERE doing an Orwellian season with fascist government doing surveillance and thought control and labeled it as "AHS:1984", since that is the name of an actual existing intellectual property. It would be like if they were doing a sci fi-themed season set on a space station/vehicle in the distant future and advertised it as "AHS:Star Trek".

So my guess is teen slasher set in the 80's as well, partly because I think Murphy has expressed some interest in such a story before. Like the aforementioned "Slasher" and "Scream" have shown, such a story is possible in an episodic format and I hope Murphy manages to stick with one horse this race. I would really love to see an honest attempt at trying to make a suspenseful and gory classic campfire tale slasher inspired by Friday the 13th, the Burning and Sleepaway Camp.

Still, the year/"title" and imagery isn't randomly chosen, it's as ambiguous as the other season teasers have been.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

It does seem weirdly evocative to use 1984 specifically. The year is I guess notable for Nightmare on Elm Street and Children of the Corn being release alongside one of the Friday the 13th sequels, but they could have picked most years in either direction and had a ton of notable slasher films*. I wouldn't rule out some kind of Orwellian twist certainly.

*maybe some slasher film aficionado can make an argument for that being the golden year for slasher films tho

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
A dystopian surveillance state where the population must avoid thoughtcrime at all times lest the government dispatch a maniac to murder them.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Guy A. Person posted:

It does seem weirdly evocative to use 1984 specifically. The year is I guess notable for Nightmare on Elm Street and Children of the Corn being release alongside one of the Friday the 13th sequels, but they could have picked most years in either direction and had a ton of notable slasher films*. I wouldn't rule out some kind of Orwellian twist certainly.

*maybe some slasher film aficionado can make an argument for that being the golden year for slasher films tho

AHS does not like to stick to one cohesive idea. Can't do asylums without aliens. Can't do witches without the illuminati. Can't do creepy hotels without vampires. It's going to be both slasher films and the surveillance state.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Whalley posted:

AHS does not like to stick to one cohesive idea. Can't do asylums without aliens. Can't do witches without the illuminati. Can't do creepy hotels without vampires. It's going to be both slasher films and the surveillance state.

I'll forever argue that the aliens would have been fine in Asylum if they gave them a bit more time, as it was it felt weird as little hints and then suddenly being integral to the ending of two main character arcs. But I liked the season focusing on other weird things that could be used for horror in that particular time period, like aliens or the threat of secret nazi scientists. It's just that the stuff set around the Asylum itself, Lana Banana and Mary Jude Eunice was way more engaging so the other stuff just wasn't as good.

But in general, setting stories about people thinking they saw or were abducted by aliens/nazi craziness and paranoia inside an asylum fits really well to me.

e: lmao i combined the nuns

Anyway the real thing AHS needs is Lily Rabe to be a regular again and have super involved storylines.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

Whalley posted:

This is straight-up what I love about this show and honestly my hope for the upcoming series. Though—

kjetting posted:

I think it would have been weird if they WERE doing an Orwellian season with fascist government doing surveillance and thought control and labeled it as "AHS:1984", since that is the name of an actual existing intellectual property. It would be like if they were doing a sci fi-themed season set on a space station/vehicle in the distant future and advertised it as "AHS:Star Trek".

—this did make me laugh :)

Stabitha
Mar 11, 2005

You lookin' at me? Don't.
I feel like The Cabin in the Woods kind of does the government surveillance state/slasher theme pretty well and I’m not sure AHS will go that route unless they are paying homage to that movie.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
To be fair I would totes watch AHS: Star Trek

kjetting
Jan 18, 2004

Hammer Time
I actually think space was mentioned by Evan Peters as a setting he would love to do on AHS, and there are several examples of the isolation on a spacecraft being a good setting for horror stories, like the Alien movies or Event Horizon.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
AHS: Event Horizon would be so loving dope

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Where we're going, we don't need Lady Gaga

kjetting
Jan 18, 2004

Hammer Time

precision posted:

AHS: Event Horizon would be so loving dope

I'm more positive to this idea now in the post-Roanoke AHS than I used to be. The first 5 seasons of AHS were really messy and had too many stories going on at the same time (while I still love Asylum, I really think they should have cut the alien plot and a few of the others as well).

epenthesis
Jan 12, 2008

I'M TAKIN' YOU PUNKS DOWN!

esperterra posted:

I'll forever argue that the aliens would have been fine in Asylum if they gave them a bit more time, as it was it felt weird as little hints and then suddenly being integral to the ending of two main character arcs.

I think the problem was that you can’t put both aliens and demons in the same narrative without explaining how they relate to each other. Do the aliens have their own demons, or do they also have our demons, or are our demons actually aliens? Or something else? Both groups were left so mysterious that they were functionally the same.

It made for an exciting season for the most part, but people were probably expecting there to be a single explanation for things that didn’t turn out to be related, and so the season kind of sputtered out.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

kjetting posted:

I'm more positive to this idea now in the post-Roanoke AHS than I used to be. The first 5 seasons of AHS were really messy and had too many stories going on at the same time (while I still love Asylum, I really think they should have cut the alien plot and a few of the others as well).

Yeah the early seasons are fine but Roanoke, Cult and Apocalypse were slam dunks imo

Like I've even watched Roanoke twice all the way through, it's just so goddamn entertaining

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

All three of those seasons are great but nowhere near Murder House and Asylum imo.

e: actually scratch that roanoake is just ok

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Roanoke gets a lot of points for the really unconventional structure but didn't stick the landing.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

haveblue posted:

Roanoke gets a lot of points for the really unconventional structure but didn't stick the landing.

:yeah:

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
I feel like they forced the aliens into Asylum just to make the Barney and Betty Hill reference and then didn’t bother to think about it again until the finale.

Like there is one scene in the middle of the season where the power goes out in the asylum and aliens flash for a brief second and your mind goes “Oh Hell Yes!” But then they’re never seen again and get Dues Ex Machina’d (from what I remember).

kjetting
Jan 18, 2004

Hammer Time
I think the biggest improvements in the last three seasons have been:

1. One main plot (and one main villain) instead of several competing stories. Roanoke was about vengeful ghosts in a house that a cynical TV producer wants to milk for all it's worth. Cult was about a murder cult of trumpian manosphere chuds. Apocalypse had the witch coven being earth's last hope against the antichrist.

2. Different tone for each season. It's like they suddenly realized that an anthology could change more than just the setting and characters. Roanoke was cynical and gory but at the same time had a lot of dark humor and satirized both reality TV and horror movie tropes. Cult was a psychological thriller that also was a political satire poking fun at EVERY corner of the political spectrum at the same time, had absolutely no supernatural stuff. Apocalypse was darker with a theme of hopelessness going throughout, and went all out with supernatural stuff.

3. Different storytelling. Roanoke had the gimmick of changing format, from being a "haunting reenactment" show to being a isolation reality show to being a found footage horror film to being a talkshow. Cult had a more linear approach, but anchored the story to real life events (the election) and introduced a plot twist (Valerie Solanas started a cult that were behind the Zodiak killings) through a flashback side story. Apocalypse had a weird structure where the first three and the last episode were separated by a six episode flashback (I'll still defend that this was the right way to tell this particular story).

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I'll say it again but casting Lena Dunham as Valerie Solanis was loving brilliant

Check out the movie I Shot Andy Warhol by the way, it rips

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

epenthesis posted:

I think the problem was that you can’t put both aliens and demons in the same narrative without explaining how they relate to each other. Do the aliens have their own demons, or do they also have our demons, or are our demons actually aliens? Or something else? Both groups were left so mysterious that they were functionally the same.

It made for an exciting season for the most part, but people were probably expecting there to be a single explanation for things that didn’t turn out to be related, and so the season kind of sputtered out.

Not to troll, but exploring the idea of alien ghosts/demons sounds very cool.

Oh wait, that’s the plot to the Final Fantasy film, isn’t it? Still a cool premise...

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
rise from your grave

No one including me seems to have noticed but a teaser was posted a while ago: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JxcFNUQVv3s. It's not on the official FX channel but it is on the official Facebook page.

We also got an image and date just now:

appleskates
Feb 21, 2008

Find your freedom in the music.
Find your Jesus, find your Kubrick.

haveblue posted:

rise from your grave

No one including me seems to have noticed but a teaser was posted a while ago: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JxcFNUQVv3s. It's not on the official FX channel but it is on the official Facebook page.

We also got an image and date just now:

gently caress yes! thanks for posting this!

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Sarah Paulson will not have a major role this season, but doesn't rule out a cameo

No Peters, almost no Paulson, is this even still American Horror Story?

haveblue fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Jul 9, 2019

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

My fav AHS season concept in a long time, and I can't even fully enjoy it because none of my three fav acting talent in the show's history are coming back for it, and one of them is specifically because he's been so mentally broken down from working on the show in general that he knew he needed a break

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

haveblue posted:

Sarah Paulson will not have a major role this season, but doesn't rule out a cameo

No Peters, almost no Paulson, is this even still American Horror Story?

After being front and center for so many consecutive seasons I'm ok with her stepping back a bit