Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Tempora mutantur, et nos mutamur in illis

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

The stew is Stu!!!

Meat is meat and people gotta eat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

The stew is Stu!!!

:derp:

Let's bring on twist #1 of 276!

e: 18 Months Later :laffo:

Pinwiz11 fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Sep 13, 2018

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
Awwwww...is that the end? Okay, I'm down for this season! :woop:

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

It's perfectly absurd.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

QuoProQuid posted:

It's perfectly absurd.

Yeah, it's the perfect balance of camp and horror, for me, in ep 1. :discourse:

I'm sure it will fall apart by mid-season, but they've surprised me before. :shrug:

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy
I referenced both 10 Little Indians and Downton Abbey after seeing previews and I'm happy to learn that the comparisons were not too far off at all

Also, and maybe I'm projecting a bit here, but I definitely picked up some Trump vibes from Ms. Venable. A leader with (nearly) unchecked power saying in private that only the people in the room matter, then turning around to the public and saying WE are all in this together

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

That was a strong start I'd say.

edit: Although I completely fail to see how this is going to tie into Murder House/Coven.

TOOT BOOT fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Sep 13, 2018

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

TOOT BOOT posted:

edit: Although I completely fail to see how this is going to tie into Murder House/Coven.

Unless it's a deliberate bit of misdirection, the Collective leader guy who shows up at the end is almost definitely the half-ghost murderbaby from the end of Murder House; they call him "Mr. Langdon", which is Constance and Tate's last name. So there's one way.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
I thought that was.... really really good?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

TheBizzness posted:

I thought that was.... really really good?

It's certainly intriguing. I have no idea where they're going with this or how it's going to work in the ghosts, the antichrist, and the S&M nuns.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I wonder if the bunker being a reused boy's school ties into Coven's setting? I assume that's how it all ends up fitting in together. Witches and Warlocks.

I love that Ryan Murphy had a stylist survive into the Apocalypse so people can still look fabulous even as the world falls apart.

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

Come to me .... and live forever.
I was gonna say, looks like they had more than enough Aqua Net among the nutrition cubes.

I picture every Murphy at this point as a debonair Murphy fantasy. Riding out the end of the world with a Warhol-esque stylist, a 40s Hollywood glamour girl, a wannabe Kardashian, Oprah, Principal Togar, and two interracial couples? You'd think he would have died in the blast and gone to heaven.

It's a pretty cool concept overall, though I doubt the plot will hold up any more than any other season. All I kept thinking during the devious reveal of the purple dresses and the cannibalism and the horses with gas masks was "man wait until the ghosts show up."

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!
Yay, more AHS! I'll be honest, I was just waiting to see Coven/Murderhouse characters turn up.
I always love Leslie Grossman, you know there's going to be a karmic reunion between her and her 'dead' husband.

Was one of Venible's assistants Amazon Eve from Freak Show?

Who's your money on for Surviving the season? I'm going with the pretty young teens.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

lmao this is great.

And of course Sarah Paulson's new character has a cane.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

I want Billy Eichner to show up as a monstrous leader of roving gangs out for revenge.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, even in the cold light of day, thinking back, I really did enjoy that premiere. So nice to see a show course correct from season to season like that! Hopefully we keep it up like Roanoke & Cult did...

Early prediction from me is that the new guy who rode the horse-drawn carriage in (which was so badass btw) is indeed the Antichrist like people have theorized based on his name, but my guess is that this "cooperative" is a front for Hell, not some bastion with safety and food and water, and this guy's choosing who will help him run it. The ones deemed worthy will be the ones who turn against their housemates and survive rather than, say, the most compassionate or smartest or whatever.

No goddamn idea where our witches and ghosts will come in yet, that should be interesting.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

timp posted:

Yeah, even in the cold light of day, thinking back, I really did enjoy that premiere. So nice to see a show course correct from season to season like that! Hopefully we keep it up like Roanoke & Cult did...

Early prediction from me is that the new guy who rode the horse-drawn carriage in (which was so badass btw) is indeed the Antichrist like people have theorized based on his name, but my guess is that this "cooperative" is a front for Hell, not some bastion with safety and food and water, and this guy's choosing who will help him run it. The ones deemed worthy will be the ones who turn against their housemates and survive rather than, say, the most compassionate or smartest or whatever.

No goddamn idea where our witches and ghosts will come in yet, that should be interesting.

My :speculate: is that The Cooperative is vampires who are saving some livestock for the end times!

Witches will save the day!

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
I can understand why some are disappointed or confused how Coven and Murderhouse will Play into this but I can honestly say it never really crossed my mind and I’d be happy just to see the show do a proper Apocalypse storyline.

I’m now more concerned that trying to shoehorn those elements in will muddle what seems (to me) to be a really cool premise.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice
Enjoyed the first episode, opening was very well done, even if it did make me want to pick up Fallout 4 again, which I'm not sure I forgive it for. I can see how Murderhouse is going to tie into everything easily enough, but don't see Coven's potential connection.

Did the personal assistant become a gray? It looked like she was, the but stylist and his mom were kept at purple with the Instagrammer. The assistant had a spare ticket, too, so did they say why she was demoted?

My :speculate: is that The Cooperative is vampires who are saving some livestock for the end times!

Crossover with Hotel confirmed.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.
I like to think the interracial (now) couple that was abducted for their genetics is an Asylum call back.

My dad had a funny idea too that they were chosen for spare parts and had the right genetic markers.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Dienes posted:

Enjoyed the first episode, opening was very well done, even if it did make me want to pick up Fallout 4 again, which I'm not sure I forgive it for. I can see how Murderhouse is going to tie into everything easily enough, but don't see Coven's potential connection.

I think the common assumption - and where my mind went - is that the Coven are going to be part of the resistance against whatever the Cooperative is up to.

There's also that line early in the episode about how the Outpost used to be an elite boys' school, which made me imagine it was something like a version of the Coven school for boys. The way the MIB nab kids with The Potential is also very very similar to the opening of Coven; it makes me think there's gonna be some relationship there, like an ancient rivalry and the warlocks just played the trump card or some poo poo.

But who knows, Murphy is a lunatic and this show loves to fly off the rails. I'm along for the ride after that first episode.

Perhaps a hamster
Jun 15, 2010

Dienes posted:

Did the personal assistant become a gray? It looked like she was, the but stylist and his mom were kept at purple with the Instagrammer. The assistant had a spare ticket, too, so did they say why she was demoted?

They mention it during the episode - PA complains about it to Grossman's character at some point, and gets told that the stylist was made a purple 'cause he refused to touch Grossman's hair if he's a gray, and his grandma 'cause she had connections with famous people or smth? Missed that part a bit. So it's more like all three were gonna be grays, but the other two got promoted.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Perhaps a hamster posted:

They mention it during the episode - PA complains about it to Grossman's character at some point, and gets told that the stylist was made a purple 'cause he refused to touch Grossman's hair if he's a gray, and his grandma 'cause she had connections with famous people or smth? Missed that part a bit. So it's more like all three were gonna be grays, but the other two got promoted.

I completely missed that line, that makes sense. Thanks!

I blame my partner, who doesn't really get/appreciate the campiness, narrating the obvious twists of the episode. "Calling it now, they are taking the kid to the same place the rich people are flying to. I bet they are manipulating the Geiger counter and he's really clean. That's totally the guy they shot in the soup."

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Andrew_1985 posted:

Who's your money on for Surviving the season? I'm going with the pretty young teens.
Nobody. Maybe some of the coven witches when they show up, but that's like, at best. This seems like the kinda season where everybody could die.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Dienes posted:

I completely missed that line, that makes sense. Thanks!

I blame my partner, who doesn't really get/appreciate the campiness, narrating the obvious twists of the episode. "Calling it now, they are taking the kid to the same place the rich people are flying to. I bet they are manipulating the Geiger counter and he's really clean. That's totally the guy they shot in the soup."

Predictability is a good hallmark for hate-watching. After some of the seasons they've put out, I can't fault anyone for enjoying it that way.
:shrug:

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Tempora mutantur, et nos mutamur in illis
I'm wondering if the connection to Murder House and Coven is directly through the guy from the Collective. Assuming that he is the Antichrist baby from murderhouse (Which I'm pretty sure of because of the name), then they could do his backstory and in his flashbacks would be characters from Murderhouse who he might have grown up around and the characters from Coven. Not sure what connection he would have to the witches, but it would be easy to make one up.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I imagine the witches will have survived the wasteland one way or another, and the Murder House connections yeah will be mostly through Michael. I'm curious if it will be flashback or if he has Jessica Lange hanging out the main Collective bunker or what.

Also curious about the timeline now. Murder House was set in present day so either this is set somewhere in the future, Murder House is actually set earlier than it was originally, or Michael grew up hella fast b/c Antichrist.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

esperterra posted:

Also curious about the timeline now. Murder House was set in present day so either this is set somewhere in the future, Murder House is actually set earlier than it was originally, or Michael grew up hella fast b/c Antichrist.

We know that Hotel takes place in the same universe too, and the final scenes of that take place in 2022 where the world appears to definitely be intact. So the most likely scenario is "further into the future than that", but honestly again I think trying to predict or work any of this out at this point is folly.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

esperterra posted:

I imagine the witches will have survived the wasteland one way or another, and the Murder House connections yeah will be mostly through Michael. I'm curious if it will be flashback or if he has Jessica Lange hanging out the main Collective bunker or what.
Wasn't it confirmed that Dylan McDermott is going to be in this season? I really like the idea that the Murder House ghosts are just wandering around now looking for a new house to haunt, seeing as the last one done got nuked up.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Pretty much everyone is back from Murder House is back this season so the connection is deeper than just the Antichrist guy.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

TOOT BOOT posted:

Pretty much everyone is back from Murder House is back this season so the connection is deeper than just the Antichrist guy.

Like that other poster said it's possible they'll be there to give us the Antichrist guy's backstory in flashback, tho. I don't think any of them were credited in the opening?

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

TOOT BOOT posted:

Considering everyone but Constance basically is dead from that season, I'm envisioning some weird flashback stuff where she's still in touch with her ghostly neighbours and they've had a hand in raising Michael. Though I am hella down for the nukes going off loving w/ the ghost rules somehow because SCORCHED FUCKIN EARTH BABY!! and the ghosts are now all free to wander beyond the places they died.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

esperterra posted:

Considering everyone but Constance basically is dead from that season,

I was gonna Day that the dog survives, but apparently she got killed off in Hotel.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

QuoProQuid posted:

I was gonna Day that the dog survives, but apparently she got killed off in Hotel.

sad

I think Sarah Paulson's medium lady is still alive, too, she's popped up in a couple seasons. I'm pretty sure Paulson is supposed to be playing her this season.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

esperterra posted:

I think Sarah Paulson's medium lady is still alive, too, she's popped up in a couple seasons. I'm pretty sure Paulson is supposed to be playing her this season.

Doesn't she get killed off at the very end of Hotel?

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Open Source Idiom posted:

Doesn't she get killed off at the very end of Hotel?

Naw she runs out at the end, thoroughly freaked the gently caress out.

I got a chance to see the premier and I loved it. I was prepared a for a few episodes of the outpost, but poo poo already got switched up at the end. Joan loving Collins, and can I say Coco's actress is a wonderful addition to the main cast. She seemed familiar in Cult but I have no idea what I would have seen her in.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Leslie Grossman was on Popular!

e: she was also on What I Like About You if you watched that

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Where would I know the father from? I recognized the Mom from Starship Troopers but blanking on the father.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Where would I know the father from? I recognized the Mom from Starship Troopers but blanking on the father.

You ever see Scrubs or Its Always Sunny?

E: Yup, Travis Schuldt https://m.imdb.com/name/nm0005402/

esperterra posted:

Leslie Grossman was on Popular!

e: she was also on What I Like About You if you watched that

It must have been on one of her guest appearances on something. I cannot remember and it kills me

A. Beaverhausen fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Sep 14, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

drat, looking at her filmography Leslie Grossman has popped up on a lot of TV recently. I'm glad b/c I love her.