Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I don't think they can do another season of Feud until the show comes out of legal hell over de Havilland getting buttmad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Was it even good

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

It was very good imo. Not People vs OJ tier but above modern AHS by faaaaar.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
The assassination of Gianni Versace was also very good. (The show)

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

So drat good.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Hi thread! Sorry I didnt follow Cult live, but I had major election saturation so that turned me off. I did enjoy it way more than I thought I would knowing there would be no supernatural poo poo. 'Lesbians, We're under attack!' Was my season highlight.

A. Beaverhausen fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Aug 29, 2018

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
https://twitter.com/AHSFX/status/1034485867925000193

https://twitter.com/AHSFX/status/1032689051747397632

https://twitter.com/AHSFX/status/1034194756400627712

MURPHY WINS: FATALITY

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Why do all these teasers look like FMV cutscenes from a Mortal Kombat game

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

COOL CORN posted:

Why do all these teasers look like FMV cutscenes from a Mortal Kombat game

I dont know but its wonderful. They're going hard with the mushroom cloud imagery too

DoggPickle
Jan 16, 2004

LAFFO
I know that literally everyone hates on Coven, which was my favorite (and you can make your own decisions, but it has a narrative, it has fun-rear end good guys and bad guys.. it has a lot of things) and I also thought Roanoke was one of the best. I really enjoyed the story within a story within a story within a story aspect of the whole thing.

Cult...meh..snooze.

I had some fantastic laughs from the SO-loving-LIBERAL gay woman and otherwise liberal jokes but I live in D.C. and that poo poo was played about 6 months before the election. NOT after. Everyone was just ready to kill themselves and it's a way of life here. It made me honestly wonder what the hell was going on in like, Missouri, or something, but it wasn't funny after the cheeto hair and a couple jokes. I'm 40 years old and I don't know a single person who would have even dreamt of voting for Trump and certainly no-one who would have admitted it in public.

I also still don't understand the whole "cult" mentality where someone would listen to a single human being especially when it diverged from their normal ethics.Way too many shows and movies and stuff just ride along this theme, like anyone with a brain would do anything these dumbasses ask for?? Am I missing out on some awesome Pyramid-scheme opportunities or what??

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

DoggPickle I will stand w/ u in solidatity when it comes to Coven being great in its own way. I still think it's a hot mess, I just don't care it's a hot mess b/c it was such a blast to watch.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
Coven had zombies getting chainsawed. That's good enough for me.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
I have never and probably will never rewatch Coven but I can tell you that a lot of the problem I had with it are mainly in it not living up to what I thought it was supposed to be.

Now some of that is Ryan Murphy (or whoever)’s fault because of the way the show was billed/described but the Witches vs Voodoo thing was a complete non starter and then the inconsistency with not only what the witches powers were but how powerful they were and just blah.

Still my wife’s favorite season because Lange saved a baby so that’s something I guess.

Also it made 0 attempt to actually be scary from what I remember. At least Murderhouse and Asylum tried even if they didn’t pull it off.

TheBizzness fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Sep 1, 2018

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Yeah the promos leading up to Coven and the title sequence itself definitely leaned toward a waaaaaay different vibe than what we actually got, which is probably one of my bigger issues with the season as well.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
I just watched episode 1 of Cult and it’s... kinda cringey so far. The liberal and 4chan stereotypes are just so cartoonish.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

COOL CORN posted:

I just watched episode 1 of Cult and it’s... kinda cringey so far. The liberal and 4chan stereotypes are just so cartoonish.

That's the point.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

The premiere is by far the most like hammering you over the head w/ what they're doing for the season, but it chills out in comparison after that imo. It's v good and silly.

And Alison Pill is adorable.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

esperterra posted:

The premiere is by far the most like hammering you over the head w/ what they're doing for the season, but it chills out in comparison after that imo. It's v good and silly.

And Alison Pill is adorable.

Okay, that makes me want to keep watching then. I'll watch anything with Evan Peters, whether I like it or not.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Open Source Idiom posted:

That's the point.

I laughed way too hard at Ally saying not wanting to fire an immigrant after the election, only to have dude tell you he was born in Sacramento or some poo poo.

A. Beaverhausen fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Sep 1, 2018

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Honestly I thought Cult was gonna be worse than Coven after the first episode but it turns out okay. It had a cohesive and somewhat scary storyline.

That's all I ask out of AHS seasons and why Coven and Freak Show were such disasters. Coven was all over the place and boring, Freak Show was somewhat more concentrated but even boringer. Also Hotel kinda falls under the same not scary and really boring factor with the lame duck vampires and what not. Those three seasons really promised a lot with their teaser scenes and kinda didn't deliver on any of it. Like they can come up with all these macabre teasers but once the story starts they just explain the weird bed ghouls in Hotel away with a throwaway scene.

Here's hoping this season looks like the teasers!!

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Yeah episode 2 is a lot better than episode 1. And Twisty! :woop:

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
Freak Show is so bad you guys. At least Coven gave us the memes

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.
Yeah, Freak Show is unwatchable apart from Twisty, Dandy and his mother . It's the only season I quit and never returned to finish. I also quit Hotel early on but came back after some reccos in a previous thread and ended up not hating it.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Tired Moritz posted:

Freak Show is so bad you guys. At least Coven gave us the memes

I swear there was one of Angela Basset's 'Jeffreeeeee' from the final episode but I cant find it.

Also I liked Freakshow :shobon:

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

At least Cult gave us Evan Peters humping his TV in political triumph, what did Freak Show do? Make the Commish a gay deadbeat dad?

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.

McSpanky posted:

At least Cult gave us Evan Peters humping his TV in political triumph, what did Freak Show do? Make the Commish a gay deadbeat dad?

I think they're called Deadbeat Daddies.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

McSpanky posted:

I was going to say "a montage of Angela Bassett photoshopped into fake blaxploitation posters" but I was misremembering and that's from Hotel, so yeah it gave us nothing.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
I’m about halfway through Cult and I’m super glad I stuck with it. Even though the SCUM derail and Lena Dunham were... unexpected

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

COOL CORN posted:

I’m about halfway through Cult and I’m super glad I stuck with it. Even though the SCUM derail and Lena Dunham were... unexpected

"You took MY LEGACY!!!"

I swear we didnt get enough Warhol.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

clown shoes posted:

Yeah, Freak Show is unwatchable apart from Twisty, Dandy and his mother . It's the only season I quit and never returned to finish. I also quit Hotel early on but came back after some reccos in a previous thread and ended up not hating it.

p much :same: for Freak Show except I finished it a year later before Hotel started. It's the only season I ever legit fell asleep watching episodes.

e: i dreaaaaded the dunham cameo when they announced it, then she ended up being one of my favourite parts of the season lmbo

The Duke
May 19, 2004

The Angel from my Nightmare

I wanted them to run even more with the SCUM stuff, I was kind of hoping the season would end with a montage of women killing tons of lovely dudes like Lena Dunham wanted.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Doltos posted:

Here's hoping this season looks like the teasers!!

The season never looks like the trailers, except the opening credits. They're evocative advertising copy.

I don't think they're even made by the same production company.

(they're still cool though)

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
In retrospect Freak Shows are about repulsing people so they look away which isn't the greatest idea when your medium requires people staring at a television screen.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I have never watched this show but watched the first episode of Cult because, knowing Ryan Murphy, there was at least a coin flip chance he turns online conservative harassment mobs into a Cthulu monster or something. Instead I got a bunch of well-off white women in incredibly nice houses crying unironically about Merrick Garland and their white person fears, while some Hispanic guys are being entrapped into being villified/deported.

That’s some incredibly tasty “libs are stupid”, even if it was entirely by accident. The addition of clown jism just made it more absurd.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Craptacular! posted:

I have never watched this show but watched the first episode of Cult because, knowing Ryan Murphy, there was at least a coin flip chance he turns online conservative harassment mobs into a Cthulu monster or something. Instead I got a bunch of well-off white women in incredibly nice houses crying unironically about Merrick Garland and their white person fears, while some Hispanic guys are being entrapped into being villified/deported.

That’s some incredibly tasty “libs are stupid”, even if it was entirely by accident. The addition of clown jism just made it more absurd.

It wasnt. Ally also immediately assumed one of her kitchen workers was an immigrant. Cult was lampooning the extremes of both sides at the start, before the horror of Trump by proxy emboldened insanity

kjetting
Jan 18, 2004

Hammer Time

A. Beaverhausen posted:

It wasnt. Ally also immediately assumed one of her kitchen workers was an immigrant. Cult was lampooning the extremes of both sides at the start, before the horror of Trump by proxy emboldened insanity

Yeah, that's part of the beauty, I think. It mocks everyone. There isn't any accident to it. Every character is the literal extreme stereotype that the "other" side thinks they are. The "liberals" in the show are lesbian "snowflakes" owning a fancy butcher shop for hipsters, have a kid raised without gender stereotypical toys and literally think they and their gay or foreign friends will be illegal and their marriage annulled if Trump wins. The "Trump team" are easily recruited cultists and violent rageaholics who worship masculinity and gender roles from the 50's. I think AHS:Cult really nails this balance, and while the cultists are the antagonists of the show, the "libs" are the side that gets most of the satirical digs.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

kjetting posted:

Yeah, that's part of the beauty, I think. It mocks everyone. There isn't any accident to it. Every character is the literal extreme stereotype that the "other" side thinks they are. The "liberals" in the show are lesbian "snowflakes" owning a fancy butcher shop for hipsters, have a kid raised without gender stereotypical toys and literally think they and their gay or foreign friends will be illegal and their marriage annulled if Trump wins. The "Trump team" are easily recruited cultists and violent rageaholics who worship masculinity and gender roles from the 50's. I think AHS:Cult really nails this balance, and while the cultists are the antagonists of the show, the "libs" are the side that gets most of the satirical digs.

I agree, and would add that I think the shows sympathies are ultimately with its protagonists and with the left generally -- and so, ultimately, the season avoids all that Golden Mean "the true answer is in the middle" nonsense.

The ending's actually pretty good, ultimately. Even if it's ultimately very similar to Season 2's.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

DoggPickle posted:

I also still don't understand the whole "cult" mentality where someone would listen to a single human being especially when it diverged from their normal ethics.Way too many shows and movies and stuff just ride along this theme, like anyone with a brain would do anything these dumbasses ask for?? Am I missing out on some awesome Pyramid-scheme opportunities or what??

cults are a real thing and someone's vulnerability to them isn't so much a function of a weak intellect as loneliness, alienation, and mental illness

I don't think you should start one on account of it's immoral to defraud people just because they're suggestible

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
join an insurance agency if you want to see cults

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2RzZRTqzbQ