Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

got the catch game sewed up

Providence @ Denver seems like it should be legit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

This year, I am thankful for all the teams you like being poo poo, and for mine being good.

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

Is Omaha good? (no)

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

The Not Very Good at Fighting Hawks

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

What the gently caress was that, guys?

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

gently caress Minnesota State

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

Bowling Green is actually good?

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

Minnesota State has had a very soft schedule compared to the rest of the top teams. If they could have gone into BG and swept or split they would have silenced some doubters. It looks like everyone was right to be skeptical.

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I think UMD is at a significant disadvantage. Our 3rd and 4th defensemen are in the IIHF World Juniors along with our 3rd line C who has been excellent. Sandelin too, but Hastings is with him so that's a wash. Mankato isn't sending anyone to IIHF.

The only game we haven't had Samberg was a 7-4 loss to the Gophers. Granted, that was game 2 of a very early start to the season, but Samberg is instrumental to the team. Mikey Anderson is very underrated. Matt Anderson and Louie Roehl are a solid 3rd pairing, but moving them up to 2nd and running a 3rd pairing of Lellig and Hilderman doesn't give you much.

This is before knowing if our leading goalscorer and Captain is still hurt, or if our starting C and starting RW are still hurt.

I was hoping to get Mankato with something approximating full strength, not down 3 top 6 forwards, 1 third line center, and 2 top 4 defensemen.

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

Dang

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

A bewildered archaeologist, a professor of antiquities and the arcane at Miskatonic University, thousands of years hence, is excavating the ruins of a grand colosseum on the shores of a vast inland sea.

He uncovers tapestries produced by an ancient and unknown culture. The tapestries have upon them the horrifying visage of a savage beast, yet with an air of nobility, apparently canid with a prominent mandibular prognathism. He sees at least two of these tapestries, perhaps many more, massive in size, woven in white with the ancient numerals and letters of that fated and archaic society by the sea.

The archaeologist glimpses in his mind the enemies of this elder race drowned in a fathom of blood; he hears the terrible canticle of an innumerable host singing of glories both desiccated and eternal. The words came suddenly, drawn involuntarily from his lips, issued at a whisper, heard only by the invisible horrors of that abyssal arena and the fading remnants of his lucid mind, "Banners hang forever..."

As the last vestiges of his sanity are ripped free, a sickly yellow light seems to fill the rancid air, and a ghastly choir with twisted faces and the image of the horrifying beast borne upon their chests reveals itself in the encircling canopy of moldering stone. This hideous host begins to sing lustily from their frog-like throats:

"In heaven there is no beer! That's why we drink it here! And when we're gone from here our friends will be drinking our beer!"

Grand Theft Autobot fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Dec 29, 2018

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

Beating Mankato shorthanded is loving awesome.

Hopefully the team can muster the same intensity for Clarkson as they did for a huge rival. That loving giant cactus trophy rules.

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

How the gently caress you gonna beat MSU and then lose to loving Clarkson????

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

Losing to Clarkson really hosed up UMD's rpi.

The nice thing about being in a conference with Denver, UND, and SCSU is that there are so many RPI heavy teams you don't need to win the conference to get into the tournament.

The lovely thing about being in a conference with those teams is that it is probably loving easier to win the NCAA tournament than it is to win the loving conference.

Grand Theft Autobot fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Jan 2, 2019

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

Get completely hosed, St Cloud.

Hrenak's save percentage looking like a SCSU grade point average.

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

SCSU is mortal. Anybody can be beat in college hockey, and it owns.

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

Friendly reminder that UMD beat both Ohio State and Notre Dame in the Frozen Four last year. And UMD beat Michigan for the national championship in 2011. Also, UMD's biggest non-conference rival is Minnesota.

So, if you hate the Big 10, you should absolutely have UMD as your secondary team.

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

Neodoomium posted:

Hell I'm a huge UMD fan for their service last year

It was on us in 2011 to not help out Shawn Hunwick enough in that game

That Michigan team in 11 was nuts. The game itself was extremely good right to the end.

Good win tonight. If the pattern holds that 2nd goalie for Miami will start tomorrow night and completely shut us down. I'm hopeful this run of NCHC games against MiamI (3x), Omaha (4x), and CC (2x) can get us running up the points column. Would be goddamn nice if Western Michigan could show up against SCSU. Home against Denver helps too.

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

UMass being legit is completely hilarious.

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

Don't gently caress with the Nanooks.

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

Bard Maddox posted:

hey fellas. Colorado College sucks and I don’t care who knows it!

Sir, I will fight you, sir.

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

College Hockey is actually the best college sport.

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

Bard Maddox posted:

got swept by Western Michigan. what the actual gently caress!

In brutal fashion, too.

WMU being legit makes me feel better about dropping one and tying with them earlier.

SCSU getting completely owned by UND is hilarious.

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

They are very well-coached too.

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

Scott Perunovich has been taking some chirps from the media for not playing as well as he should be. In reality, he's scoring more PPG than last year and the team itself is much better all around than last year.

UMD through 24 games (and arguably the hardest part of its schedule) is scoring 3.2 GPG and giving up 1.8. That's compared to 3 GPG for and 2.1 against last season. This year they have the #1 CF% at 61%, which is a full 7 points higher than where they finished last year.

Perunovich probably plays the most minutes on the team and is +7, so he's obviously contributing more than just offense, which as I pointed out is still very good. His defense looks like it has also gotten better. He reacts quickly to his assignments, he plays much stronger than his size would suggest, and he uses his speed very effectively to cover odd-man situations.

My only critique of him at this point is that he doesn't look for his own shot enough. He's an extremely willing passer, and he is surrounded by good shooters, so it isn't really a big deal, but he makes a couple plays every game where he absolutely breaks someone's ankles and has an open lane to shoot and he'll dish it off. This critique isn't enough to justify a spot in the sports section, but sports journalism is a loving hot take inferno.

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

DJExile posted:

It seems like there's been a big push lately for players to look for the pass first. It's one thing to get a goalie moving but man some offenses get so over the top with passes and goalies seem wise to that so they're not even looking for the shot now when teams break in.

That absolutely seems to be happening.

There's a classic UMD chant that encapsulates my philosophy on this matter:

Shoot to score!

Score to win!

Win to get laid!

edit: According to USCHO, UMD has the 3rd highest RPI on the 2nd hardest schedule. They've been #1 in Corsi For % basically the entire year.

Grand Theft Autobot fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Jan 28, 2019

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

We are playing incredibly bad

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

gently caress the ECAC

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

Lose 4-1, win 6-0. Makes sense to me.

Way to completely gently caress up any chance at the Penrose Cup.

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

The ECAC sucks because there are like 40 teams in it and they still only have 5 National Championships between them. Also gently caress the Ivy League, bunch of loving Dean Acheson looking motherfuckers.

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

If you can't get into college, go to State!

CLAP CLAP

CLAP CLAP

If you can't get into college, cuz you just don't got the knowledge,

Minnesota State University - Mankato, to be exact.

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

The wheels on your house go

Round and Round

Round and Round

Round and Round

The wheels on your house go

Round and Round

YOU'RE WHITE TRASH!!!

This one was for St Cloud State University, and it really made my entire life when I yelled it at people for the first time.

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm going to the MN State High School Hockey Tournament this year to watch some UMD prospects and specifically to cheer for Hermantown in Class A, who are basically the UMD farm team, and Duluth East in Class AA, who also have kicked up a lot of top tier talent to the roster.

Blake Biondi is going to loving destroy D1.

edit:

This guy went to Hermantown

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6XqjBvwU5rs
https://youtu.be/6XqjBvwU5rs

edit2:

Jared Thomas, who scored both GWG in the 2018 Frozen Four for UMD, went to Hermantown.

Grand Theft Autobot fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Feb 8, 2019

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

The Big 10 loving sucks.

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

The NCHC is cool, but goddamn I would love to trade UNO for Bemidji and Miami for Mankato. Western Michigan can stay because I can't think of anyone else.

I want to viscerally hate every conference foe. I am grateful I get to hate Denver, UND, SCSU, and CC several times a year, at least.

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

Karson Kuhlman gets called up to the big show. He's such a loving baller.

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

Almost nothing beats kicking the poo poo out of Denver.

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

Yeah those are some pretty fierce teams. Especially Alabama-Huntsville, the literal worst team in D1.

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

gently caress North Dakota

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

gently caress St Cloud. We are gonna loving sweep these clowns.