Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
is UMASS gonna be tournament contention good with Level 2 Makar or just better than Maine good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

DJExile posted:

UMass hasn't even been over .500 in the better part of a decade. Makar might be good but that's asking a hell of a lot for them to suddenly make the national tournament

Mario Ferraro (Sharks second rounder) is really good too and their top five scorers + goalie were freshmen! This is the year!

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

DJExile posted:

UMass (no not the good one, the other one) smoked Ohio State 6-3.

:smug:

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Cale Makar appears to be really good

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Umass is good actually

actually

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Cale Makar is insanely good and might win the Hobey.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Umass is gonna be top 5 if they sweep this Providence series loool

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Cale Makar is insanely Hobey Baker level good and they're getting good goaltending. I think they'll be a tournament team even if they slow down a bit. The HE looks bad this year and they should be able to rack up some wins there.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Umass swept Providence but they got outshot 31-13. Still pretty cool!

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
I think they'll probably split with Quinnipiac here to end the streak but yeah it's crazy.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Tiny Tubesteak Tom posted:

lol talk about a crystal ball, nice call

What's pretty cool is that they looked like the better team both games (whereas vs Providence they kinda rode goaltending a bit). They looked really good in this series, just couldn't score until that last third period.

They sold out the Mullins Center :monocle:

https://twitter.com/UMassHockey/status/1071596538034409473

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
goddamn Umass beat the hell out of Northeastern tonight

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
AIC won the Atlantic?

that's cool, I went to elementary school right across the street from their campus and they did some cool stuff with my underfunded as gently caress school so good on them stay wholesome College Hockey Megathread 18-19

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Ehhh the teams that go to the ACHA tournament are still going to be the best teams unless the tournament has dropped in quality a ton since I played. The top teams almost always go. The teams that are folding in the ACHA are generally bad to begin with.

This is more true as you go up in division (ACHA D1 is fairly serious), but if you look at the past tournaments for ACHA D3 even, it's still the best teams. Like Georgia Tech went from the South last year and they were 18-4.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
The UMass game is on ESPN2, that's pretty cool. I'd like to try and find a stream of the AIC game too. I hope they keep it interesting. They were 0-6 outside of the AH this year but they did face all tournament teams.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Ah yes the sanctity of the one game elimination hockey tournament. I'd rather see some weird team from the AH in then another at large team. Air Force eliminating WM and SCSU was great.

If anything they should add a few teams and do a few playins to give the top seeds an actual advantage.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
good lord UMass has had so many loving chances. Need to get this past 1-0

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
drat AIC just hit the crossbar and has had like 3 good chances in the first five

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
fuckin goal AIC!

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
SCSU looks terrible

they look super shook

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
holy gently caress AIC just scored as time expired in the 1st, won't count unfortunately

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
They hit two posts that period, too. I think ultimately SCSU's speed is gonna wear them down as this goes along but if they can get one more they might be able to grind out a 2-1 or something or get it to OT. There's no way St. Cloud can play as bad as they did that period the whole game, right?

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
lmao 2-0

e: St. Cloud just took a timeout they're so rattled with the whole crowd doing an A-I-C chant

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Mar 30, 2019

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
that was a pretty incredible jinx dj

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Zackarias Skog is a brilliant hockey name

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
btw Fox was invisible yesterday, just had no effect on the game. Makar was of course absolutely dominant

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
I have a bad feeling Denver is gonna eliminate all the Western Mass teams but oh well it's been a cool story

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
UMass outshot Notre Dame and Harvard by a combined 70-30 :stare:

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Interesting that the HE gets two teams in the Frozen Four given how much the traditional powers struggled this year. NE/Providence/UMass ended up being for real tho

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
excited to see Makar win a trophy then truck Tkachuk

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
HOLY gently caress YES

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Ferraro looked quite good. He might be able to have a Dumoulinesque career.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
UMass looked tired as gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Jurgen Klopp coaches hockey too?