Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«2 »
Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

33, 6'1", around 195ish. Started year (and last few years..) around 200 or so. I don't really move up and down more than about 5 lbs generally. Hoping to drop a little to around 180 or so via mountain biking. I can only get in a couple rides a week before picking up the kid from daycare and maybe 1 long ride on the weekends, weather permitting. Also the season will be ending in the next few months, so I'll probably go back to the gym or playing video games. Cardio in the gym is so boring. Weight lifting just leaves me sore and I sleep like poo poo afterwards. I sleep like a baby if I'm putting a ton of miles in, though. I considered getting a fat bike for snow biking but it's loving cold in winter and I like being inside when it's cold outside.

I have a previous back/disc injury and both of my hip joints replaced with metal after having arthritis and extra bonus bone spurs. All is well except I can't really run anymore (used to run frequently, did a half marathon and a couple of 5k but was never really into it for the competitive aspect) due to how things healed on my 2nd hip replacement. I was really bummed about this initially because I loved running and was told I'd be able to return to it afterwards. That got me started mountain biking, which has been a lot of fun despite me being terrible and crashing constantly. I'm still trying to stretch my legs and hips to help my back out, and have to keep telling myself I'm not young and shouldn't even gently caress with doing deadlift/squats with my current body conditions. I should do yoga more.

Good luck getting less fat, goons.

Edit: strava
https://www.strava.com/athletes/21343424

Edit 2, more deets.

Suburban Dad fucked around with this message at 12:24 on Aug 15, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

The Door Frame posted:

Cardio sucks donkey dongs because I have pretty bad asthma and piriformis syndrome, so I've been eyeing a rock climbing gym that's ~1 mile from my school... and my buddy keeps trying to get me to box with him

I too have piriformis syndrome after having hip surgery. I tried stretching and strengthening, but that only made it more sore. So much for running ever again. However it got me into biking which it doesn't seem to bother.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Today's goal: Getting back to work and eating normally today (much easier with work and a set schedule/routine, and packing my lunch where I can't really deviate). It's gonna be wet and rainy today so no biking, and have errands after work so no gym. I'll aim for doing yoga tonight and not eating a huge dinner.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Sounds like you have mobility issues, it's a common thing but it can be fixed with some work. There's a load of stuff on youtube including a quite frankly fantastic channel called 'Squat University' and the guy there focuses a lot on mobility and various exercises to fix your poo poo. Mobility after all stops you from turning into an old person before your time.

Yup, hips and hamstrings are probably tight.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Liquid Communism posted:

As of 7am my weekend starts, gonna go spend some quality time with this:

hell yeah, fattie. I might look into one of them for winter riding quite soon.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

I went to the gym. I ate mostly well.

Tomorrow I'm smoking 3 racks of ribs. Going biking the next two days most likely, though.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Form is more important to not hurt yourself later. Don't rush big numbers.

Rode about 16 miles today and then came home and mowed. Spent, and probably dehydrated. Still, ride was good and hopefully I can get in another tomorrow.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Weigh in for the week so I don't forget. For accountability!

191.8 lb

18X has been elusive since two a days in high school.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Rhyno posted:

Edit: Hey since this is a YLLS crossover can we talk about fashion and whatnot?

Please god no

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Adiabatic posted:

Thanks yall! I will grab some straps and try some chalk as well.

These things you quoted contradict each other. Build your grip up first without straps, IMO.

Edit: ah only for shrugs.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

The Door Frame posted:

The best part about feeling like you're dying is that it makes it hard to overeat

This is me and cardio. I always feel super loving hot and less hungry. Win win! I did some back/shoulder/bicep stuff yesterday. Hopefully trails are dry enough today to bike, otherwise I'll gently caress around in parking lots practicing skills and try not to bust my rear end in front of people again.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

PR'd on an 8.2 mile section of an easy trail by 1:24. The one good thing about being a new rider is seeing sick gainz in huge chunks like that. Pretty perfect weather and ride today.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

^I don't trust anybody enough to ride on the roads. I stick to the sidewalks on the rare occasions I bike not on trails.

Weighed in at 190.0 this morning, but I won't consider it real until after the weekend when I generally eat worse. However, I'm very close to my BMI being "not overweight" for the first time ever. barely

I've always thought BMI was a dumb indicator of health or fitness since it takes pretty much nothing into account besides height and weight, but still it will be a nice milestone to hit if I lose 1 more pound.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

The Door Frame posted:

It's illegal to ride on the sidewalk in most places here. At least if you're older than 13

on the (almost) normal BMI! I just squeaked under 25 with this morning's weigh in. Speaking of which, I'm coming up on my first of 3 cheat days for this challenge, but it's really satisfying to see a measurable, downward trend. Even if it's only 2 lbs in a little more than a week

Probably same here, but it's a neighborhood and I see it all the time. And it's rare if it happens in the first place because cycling on roads/sidewalks is way more boring, IMO. Just like running vs. trail running. Trails, every time.

Nice job on the BMI.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Dunno, I don't drink any caffeine and still wake up at 5:30AM.

Don't you work 2nd or 3rd shift though or something? In that case, good luck. I know my circadian rhythm would just say "nah gently caress that."

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

jamal posted:

Rode a bike today, put in some work, pretty happy with how it went

https://www.strava.com/activities/1797298281

If you see a name you don't recognize following you, it may be me.

Also holy poo poo that is some ride. I'll do my "long" ride tomorrow that's like 15ish miles and mostly flat. I think you will surpass my weeks riding total in one day.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

jamal posted:

That one was pretty easy to figure out. I follow a bunch of goons and don't remember a lot of other screennames though.

I am not a clever man.

Broke my clavicle. Only fitness I'll be doing is fitness pizza in my mouth.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Being lovely at riding mountain bikes.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

sharkytm posted:

Rest up, you can still do leg exercises.

I tried to think of things I don't need balance for (not worth risk of falling) like machines and what not. Then, things I could easily get into and out of ( leg press) with one good arm. About all I could figure was leg extensions, not worth it. Still in a good bit of pain so maybe more doors will open soon but prolly not worth the risk. Biking was my "leg day" anyway.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

jamal posted:

Well, that sucks, sorry man. Stationary bike would probably be ok, but personally I hate sitting on the trainer. Suppose if I broke a collar bone I'd have to though.

poo poo happens. I'll resume if/when it feels better.

Carry on without me goons.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Bike shorts? Bike shorts.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Could try front squats as well. I gave up on squats that weren't body weight altogether after a herniated disc and double hip replacements, though.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

could try working on those hips with toddler squats to try and loosen them up. I still couldn't keep my back from rounding with stretching all the time so I gave up. Still stretching, though.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Adiabatic posted:

Welp, did shoulder presses on a bench with no back, and now my upper back is super angry. Time for a massage and some WEIGHTLIFTING THERAPY.

Hope you feel better dude.

Suburban Dad fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Sep 26, 2018

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Still can't get motivated to return to the gym. By that I mean "sit on an exercise bike for 30-60 minutes." Clavicle is still healing and I can't lift anything with that arm, so most weights are out.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

QuarkMartial posted:

Have you tried intervals? What kinds of bikes are there?
Where I go there are these Sprint 8 bikes that have a cool interval setting where you ride at a brisk pace, then go as hard as you can for 30 seconds to a minute then back to a brisk pace. They also have expresso HD bikes that are like playing a video game. Both of those make cardio more interesting, at least to me.

None that are cool. Ones that are more recumbent bike like, and then upright ones with giant rear end uncomfortable seats. I used to do HIIT on them, at least that makes it a bit more interesting even though it is exhausting. I just look at cardio as the least fun thing at the gym and boring, since I'd rather do any form of it outside. But I just can't yet, unfortunately.

I need to just sack up and do it just for my health if nothing else, even though it sucks.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

^Heh, never really tried 2x workouts but always is crazy to me when I see hollywood dudes say they work out for like 4 hours 2x a day and such.

Finally got motivated enough for my first semi workout in 6 weeks yesterday. Limited to sit ups, back extensions, body weight squats, calf exercises and some elliptical work. Elliptical was a workout for my shoulder (broken clavicle) and my calves are sore today. Hope to try and go a couple more times this week and see if I can figure out more stuff I can do without lifting a weight or putting weight on my arms/shoulders. It's pretty limited so far, though.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Gonna hit the gym tonight. More stretching and body weight stuff and then bike, hopefully.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

I never feel like I make any progress getting stronger when I lift. Probably a three part problem with one part being consistency , and one part stale routine (not mixing it up and changing up the exercises and sets and reps often enough), and lastly diet. I don't know that I eat enough to get bigger/stronger, but I don't really lose weight either when I try to focus on lifting. I tried 5x5 for awhile but my back and hips are saying "gently caress no" to doing squats or deadlift again. I can't seem to get my hips flexible enough (not OEM hips, either...) to do either well enough to not hurt myself rounding my back, so it ain't worth it anymore.

Any advice or suggested reading/routines? I'll have to wait a bit til I'm healed up but maybe this is something I can focus on over winter before bike season starts back up.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Maybe you guys both missed that I have two hip replacements and maybe those are out of the question...

Still, I'll check out the links.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Yeah I caught it. I guess you'd want to speak to a physiotherapist in your case then.

Doc said I wouldn't be limited in any activity, but in practice I can't get my hips to loosen up. Not sure if it's the hardware or the software at this point, but after tons of stretching I didn't get anywhere.

AdiaBOOtic posted:

Bodyspace app has some awesome workouts that change up minimally every week. Once you learn the eccentricities of the app it's pretty great. You could do the 12 weeks to shredded or whatever that Im doing and just skip leg day (THE HORROR)

I'll look into it, thanks.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

toplitzin posted:

Check out CARS/MoveWellDurham/Kinstretch. I know a person who could help 1:1 (for a reasonable$) if you want. It helped a lot with some stuff i just couldn't get to loosen up thru stretching or gentle work.
aka: physio, but slightly different.

Thanks, I'll have a look.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Rhyno posted:

For sure. When I dropped under 200 I was happy, when I hit 169 I sat on the floor and cried.

Pussy.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Did some shoulder exercises using the women's weights (below 10 pounds they're rainbow colored ). Shoulder is feeling better after going only a couple times, so hopefully I'll be back to being able to do stuff in the next couple months. Clavicle is about 50-60% healed says the doc.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Jesus, I've never even heard of that happening from lifting.

Doc tet, is he going to live?

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Adiabatic posted:

RVA MOB REPRESENT

TASTE OF THINGS TO COME

HOLLA ATCHA BOY

Amazing.

keep that rear end on the bench

Somebody fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Nov 27, 2018

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

What you lack in form you make up for in hype.

I've always been poo poo at bench. I think at my best I could do maybe 200 lbs once. I will continue to throw stones from my glass house over here.

Suburban Dad fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Nov 19, 2018

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

QuarkMartial posted:

Turns out, watching Jeff Cavalier and taking his tips seriously means some serious gains.

Anything specific? Seems he has some good videos and makes me want to lift again. I never really have seen gains in the past...many years. Mostly lift the same amounts I have for a bit and probably don't push myself hard enough. Once healed back up I'd like to get back to some sort of consistency, though.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Knocked out an hour plus on the stationary bike. Not bad with a Switch to distract me from how terrible it normally is. But goddamn are the seats on those bikes bad. Maybe I need to stand up and pedal every now and then to prevent my butt from hurting, but I'm wearing freaking bike shorts and it's still awful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Have my follow up for my collar bone in about 2 weeks, hoping for no restrictions at that point. Left shoulder muscles are very weak compared to the right and still have a little bit of pain with ROM but it's still been improving. Since my whole left arm is generally weaker than my right I've been doing left arm and shoulder only stuff at the gym. Probably looks weird to onlookers but as my motto goes, "gently caress 'em."

In hindsight I would have just had the surgery to plate it and probably should have pushed harder for more formal PT vs. me going to the gym and loving around a couple times a week. Online said "oh it's a 3 month recovery" but I'm going on ~5 now.

Riding stationary bike at the gym rules with a Nintendo Switch. So easy to pile on miles that way. Again, probably look like a huge nerd but gently caress 'em. Easy for ~1 hour sessions without wanting to put a gun in my mouth.

«2 »