Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Good timing on this thread, my goal was to not fit into off the rack suits and I just hit that today when I went to Nordstrom. Even with a jacket that was comically baggy in the chest and waist (50L), my arms fit but are uncomfortable, and trying to lift my elbows to be parallel with my head seemed like it may rip if I kept on going. Now my goal is to drop a bunch of weight while maintaining as much muscle as possible. Last year I went from working at home to working long hours at an office job, and that was good for an extra 15lbs (when I already needed to lose 30). At least my DXA scan says I'm the same body fat % as before, I just gained muscle and fat. In the highly likely chance that some of you are spergy, DXA scans are awesome because they break down exactly how much fat, muscle, and bone you have, and then give you a breakdown for each body part.

BlackMK4 posted:

I weighed 195lb on January 1 this year, I currently weigh 150lb.
Eventually, I'll stop being lazy and start riding my biek with Strava more.
drat, that's really good.

Adiabatic posted:

I'm working on weightlifting 4 times per week, as well as a low-carb diet that I'm still trying to get some science into. I have cut out all beer, though. It's a start.

Low carb diets aren't ideal for building muscle if you get into weightlifting in the long term, but if you're just trying to diet for October it's not going to be a problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Exercise is good for you but weight loss is going to be almost all diet, especially if you're already out of shape and can't go bike for 3 hrs straight. But if your only goal is fat loss, set something relatively easy like losing 1lb/week, then weigh yourself every week. See if you can lose 10lbs in 3 months, which really shouldn't even feel like too much of a diet.

poo poo, just make your goals something like making sure 5 meals a week are healthy (and not overeating at other meals because you were good earlier) and you'll probably drop weight. When I had more free time I'd only drink as much beer as I burned doing cardio earlier in the day, which is really effective since it shows you just how much you have to work out for that extra beer, while also limiting your beer unless you had something like 3 hrs to use the treadmill.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Adiabatic posted:

Gentlemen, this thread is for setting goals and sticking to them. If you do not have a current plan, make one and post up. If you do have a current plan, tell us about it. This ain't the chat thread.

Looks like we have 20 weeks left in the year, so I'm going with 1.5lbs/week weight loss for 12 weeks, 4 weeks at maintenance, and 4 weeks at 1.5lbs/week until the end of the year, for a total loss of 24lbs by the end of the year. Main obstacle: work is about to get insanely busy from now until the end of the year, so I'm not sure how I'll do on having enough time to go to the gym and meal prep.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I noticed the jack stands before I read the text and thought you were trying to use that as safeties for if you fail a lift... Your explanation made a lot more sense.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I know it's bad to skip deload weeks, but my usual gym is closed for renovations this week and I've been sleeping in anyway. My goal tomorrow is to hit up the replacement gym and make up for 4 days of lost workouts. Rather than do my usual 6 day a week routine, I usually combine days and workout 3 days on my recovery week, so I don't think trying to do 4 workouts in 1 is impossible.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Hit 5 of my 6 weight lifting workouts for the past week, had to skip a leg day on Friday due to a late beer tasting party with a friend on Thursday night. I can pull off an arm day after a night of too much beer, but it'll just make me want to puke the entire workout if I'm doing legs. Unfortunately next week I have to fly to New York on Wednesday and back to LA on Thursday, so I'll miss both those workouts.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I've been good about lifting weights but bad about cardio, so I did 14 miles on the bike this past weekend (first time in a year or so on the bike). My legs and cardio were fine (it was just 7 miles up a slight but continuous incline, then back), but my rear end was killing me from the seat. I forgot it takes a couple of outings to get your body used to it again.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Re: bike seats, is it still a thing where you're not supposed to get the softer, more comfortable seats if it's bothering your rear end? My bike friends swear you don't want the super soft gel seat, but on motorcycles you often get the softer seat if you're doing long rides.

My buddy just dropped 35lbs in two months by doing no carb and only eating breakfast then dinner. Assuming roughly 10lbs of that is water weight, that's still 25lbs over 8 weeks (3lbs/week), which is a really high rate of weight loss. He doesn't lift though, so dropping carbs and cutting calories more than is recommended doesn't really affect him. I'm almost tempted to do a month of that and skip lifting, but that pretty much guarantees I'll lose more muscle than I'd like.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

If anyone is using Renaissance Periodization's male physique templates, they have a new version coming out in early October. I've been happy with the 6 day non-specialized template so I'll probably buy the new one out of curiosity. I'm almost at 10x225 on my bench, which would mean I should get the advanced version, but I've been feeling it in my rotator cuff recently (just immediately after my sets, not for long periods of time) so I'll probably make the 10x200 -> 10x225 jump fairly slowly and just buy the regular template. Plus my other lifts suck as I'm still not flexible enough to squat or deadlift with correct form, so I've been skipping those.

I'm also thinking of cutting my workout volume to the minimum I need to maintain my current strength for the month of October, then dieting a little heavier than usual since the holidays are approaching. I feel like my joints and body would probably appreciate that anyway.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Went ahead and bought the new Renaissance Periodization templates, got the six day full body one (full body meaning no emphasis on a particular body part, not every workout is a full body workout). They're very similar to the previous ones, the main differences are they've gone from four to six weeks before you have a deload week, you start off with fewer sets per exercise (two or three for the first week, rather than three), and the weight progression is supposed to be slower than before. You also do two hypertrophy cycles before doing a metabolic cycle, but I think most people using the templates were already doing that anyway. Probably not worth buying if you already have the old version, but I figured why not since I knew I'd buy them at some point, and I wanted to see what was different. I'm always hesitant to lift lighter weights to get more volume in, but I was comparing old DXA scans and workout logs and noticed that in late 2016 I was doing significantly more weight on rows and lat pulldowns, but I'm currently up 7lbs of muscle in the trunk area of my body (chest and back), so I guess there's something to intelligent programming.

I scheduled another DXA scan for five weeks from now, so my goal is 10lbs of weight loss by then. As boring as cardio can be at the gym, I'm trying to add more in because I have a shitload of beer and/or food events in October.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I had too little sleep this weekend and too many events at breweries, so I had to resort to using DMAA (that "expired" in 2013) to get through my workouts, and everything just felt heavy. I'm already dieting, but I cut food calories down even more to allow for beer, which apparently is not ideal for holding onto muscle/strength.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I skipped both my weekend workouts to go to the Juggernaut Training Systems performance summit. Had some big names like Mike Israetel and Chad Wesley Smith, along with people I didn't recognize but who gave interesting talks. Judging from the show of hands, I felt like I was the only person in attendance who wasn't a personal trainer of some sort, but it was still interesting. I've been trying to work on my sleep hygiene, but I'm going to try harder after hearing James Hoffmann's talk.

Chad's wife, Marissa Inda, and another Juggernaut power lifter, Kristen Dunsmore, were there selling various books, and have to be the most jacked girls I've seen in person. Pretty impressive, but Marissa said she'd been lifting since she was 17 and she's now 42, so plenty of time to get ripped.

AdiaBOOtic posted:

185x5x3, and a 195x5x1 on Bench. I can finally do multiple reps of 225 now!

I've been doing incline bench, then flys, then bench for a long time now, just because that's whats in my workout template I paid for, but I'm really tempted to start benching first just to get it up higher. Maybe it's not ideal for hypertrophy, but I'd like to be hitting 225x10, whereas right now I'm doing 150 to 165, depending on the week.

MomJeans420 fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Oct 23, 2018

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

AdiaBOOtic posted:

Race ya to it.

I'm dropping weight and while I'm down 3 lbs from bench day last week, I'm was one rep short on my 2nd and 3rd sets of incline BP today compared to last week. At this rate I'm not going to hit 10x225 until I can bulk next year.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Tuesday was my big chest + tri day, but I did 185x11 on the bench press this morning and it felt heavy. Probably nothing to do with the fact we had a bunch of mai tais and IPAs last night. Signed up for another DXA scan in two weeks, I'd like to be another four pounds down by then so I can see how my fat loss vs muscle loss is doing.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

My friend brought me a bunch of beer from a brewery 5 hours away, so we stayed up a bit too late and drank a bit too much. I'm switching chest day from incline BB bench, cable fly, flat BB bench to flat bench, fly, then incline, in an attempt to hit that 10x225 flat bench.

Of course today everything but the decline bench was busy at first so I did:
Dec BB bench : 12x45, 8x135, 10x205, 10x205, 9x205, 8x205, 7x205
Fly : 12x71, 12x71, 12x71
BB bench : 10x155, 10x155, 8x155, 8x155, 7x155
then I ran out of time

Felt pretty spacey and out of it for the first half of the workout, so I was leaving a few reps on the table while benching. My decline bench is usually 20lbs higher than my flat bench, so that's effectively less weight than I was doing last week when I wasn't even full recovered from chest day. Not going win the first to 10x225 contest at this rate.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Adiabatic posted:

My dude Im sorry for missing this but you're definitely close. LETS MAKE THIS A THREE WAY :heysexy:

I'm not sure how fast I can add 40lbs to my 10rm, but I'm shooting for it. Tomorrow is chest day again so I'm hoping to have the flat bench free instead of the decline.

I did back + biceps day on Saturday, four sets of pullups, four sets of pulldowns, then four sets of machine rows, followed by six sets of db hammer curls then six sets of bb curls. Felt fine after, just a little tired, but then I came home and mowed the lawn, then some extra yard work with the string trimmer and leaf blower. Everything still felt fine, then I decided to cut my nails and got horrible bicep cramps. They were bad enough I could only finish cutting my nails by leaving my hands down near crotch level, any attempt to raise them even to belly level resulted in incredibly painful cramps with a side of spasms. Took a shower and had a similar experience trying to shave.

I then got tacos and went to a beer tasting, which seemed to help, so I think the answer was my body needed carnitas to fully heal.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

The only flat barbell bench was in use by an old guy forever this morning, so I had to resort to the decline bench again. I hate ending with incline bench but it was the only thing open, it's non-adjustable with a steep angle so I always do way less weight with it than I do on the flat bench. Ended up doing:

Dec BB bench : warmup, 12x215, 10x215, 9x215, 8x215, 7x215
Cable fly - 5 sets
Inc BB bench : 11x125, 10x125, 8x125, 7x125, 7x125
then 5 sets of cable upright rows and 2 sets of machine rows.

12x215 felt pretty easy, pretty sure I'll have no trouble with 10x225 next time, but my decline bench is ~20lbs higher than my flat bench. After next week I'm taking a deload week, I don't realistically see me hitting 10x225 flat bench until mid-December at the earliest (and that may be aggressive).

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Having torn my rotator cuff being stupid*, I can confirm that human shoulders suck. Got a DXA scan last week and while I was only ~4lbs down in weight, I had lost 7 lbs of fat and gained 3lbs of muscle since July. Not amazing, but at least it's progress. I'm just going on the world's slowest body recomposition and I'll end up an extremely jacked 225lbs.

I ate poo poo walking on vacation while turning back to talk to a friend, but I think my hand is healed enough to bench heavy tomorrow. I'm going to see how many reps I can get at 205, but next week is a recovery week so I won't be benching heavy again until the week after thanksgiving.

*Realized I was going to have trouble with my last rep on the bench press, looked around really quick to yell for help but saw only two attractive college aged girls nearby, so I decided to just give it all I had to finish without help. Once my cuff tore, I managed to bounce the bar off my chin, then have all the plates slide off the bar and make a huge sound (I never use collars). It was a good time. This was 7 years ago and to this day my right arm gives out first while benching, despite being my dominant hand.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Benched 9x205, 8x205, 8x195, 7x195 this morning, but overall I felt over my workout and cut it short.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

QuarkMartial posted:

MORE BENCH FOR BENCH GOD

3x3@225, 1x1@225

Soon.

I'm curious if it'll be faster for you to add 7 reps and no weight than it will be for me to get an extra rep but have to add 20 lbs. I feel like trying to add ~10% to my bench is going to take longer than I think, seeing as how I'm long past those easy new lifter gains. The one thing I have going for me is I usually do flat bench as my third exercise, so I feel like there are some easy gains to be had from doing it first now.

There should be some sort of height / length of arms adjustment for benching, I end up doing way more actual work to bench a given weight than a short guy with shorter arms.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

poo poo, it's going to be really awkward when I try to recreate the same video at the YMCA. Can I just bring a hard hat in and give it to a rando to wear?

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Fender Anarchist posted:

This spreadsheet was demoralizing at first but like a fine wine it only improves with age.

You'll be below 300 by the end of January at this rate, that will be a nice milestone!

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Trip report: this is my deload (recovery) week of my first cycle on the new RP templates, the main difference being I had 6 weeks of actual lifting versus 4, and you start off with a lower number of sets per exercise in the beginning weeks. I tried to avoid my usual method of rushing to add volume, and felt pretty good until the end of the 6th week. Maybe it was the cold going around the office, but I was definitely ready for a break by the end of the 6th week. I figure between this week being very light and all the Thanksgiving food and events, I should be ready to go hard again next week. I will ignore the programming on the templates for my bench and go ahead and start at 215 next week to see what I can get.

I did 38 strict form pullups on Saturday (across 5 sets), and I still have lat DOMS. Also, I fit in my bike leather pants again, so I've lost the fat I gained in 2017 when I went from working from home at a job that required almost no time to an office job where I'm here a minimum of 10hrs/day.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Back doing real weights again, only benched 9x205 and 10x185. Will try 215 either Thursday or next Tuesday.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

37, feeling it a bit in my elbows from switching from pushdowns to skullcrushers last week (will try JM presses this week instead), and I woke up this morning feeling like I'm at the beginning of a cold (that certain taste / thickness in your mouth).

Benched anyway, keeping the volume a bit low because I don't think my one deload/recovery week was enough. The flat bench was busy when I got there, so I ended up doing:

Decline bench: 8x225, 8x225
Flat bench: 8x205, 7x205

Had extra reps in me for the first 3 sets, on the last set of flat bench all of a sudden the barbell was hurting my left hand. Almost felt like if you had dropped half of 205 on your hand rather than purposely grabbed it, never had anything like it before and it's still a little sore now, who knows what happened.

Followed it up with cable flyes, cable upright rows, and machine rows.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Flat benched 215lbs for sets of 8,7,6, then decline benched 205lbs for sets of 8,7,7. My hands still hurt a bit from going heavy on the decline bench last week, not sure what's up with that, and I'm not sure this is an improvement on my bench or not. I usually figure I should take 20lbs off my decline to convert to flat, and last week I decline benched 8 reps of 225, so maybe it's an improvement?

Followed it up with 3 sets of cable fly, 5 sets of cable upright rows, and 3 sets of machine rows. My shoulders / mid-delts feel fried at work now, more so than usual for bench day, so I think it's the cable upright rows. I'm not going heavy on the weight for those (letting my wrist slowly adapt to them) so I easily had 5 sets of 12 with minimal rest between sets, but I guess it may be enough volume to tire the muscles out anyway.

Got another DXA scan next week, but my nutrition has not been great these past few weeks. Mostly decent at work (except now we have shitloads of sweets people have sent us), but a lot of going out on the weekend and at night. I think I can get to the same weight as my last scan by next Thurdsay, but I'll be curious to see how the fat/muscle gain/loss plays out.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Still trying to figure out if I like JM presses, did two sets at 105lbs but I felt like my form was poo poo so I did two more at 95lbs. Followed it up with four sets of pushdowns, three sets of very close grip bench press at 160lbs, then some curls and assisted pullups. Triceps are my sticking point on the bench so I'm hoping the JM presses and close grip bench press will help me when I finally start benching 225lbs next week. I only have three more weeks of heavy lifting before I take a deload/recovery week, not sure I'll manage to go from 8x215 to 10x225 that quickly. I suspect not, it's around a 25% increase in total weight moved (reps x weight).

I should probably be close grip benching in the smith machine, much moreso than regular benching I feel like when I hit a wall in CGBP, I'm done. I try to make sure I'm leaving at least a rep in the tank for safety reasons.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I did a full day of supermoto yesterday and got more than enough track time, so I had to skip my workout today. As I got tired my technique went to poo poo, was not great about keeping my elbow up and all that when turning. Today I feel like I benched pressed and did shrugs for 100 sets yesterday, and my hands hurt. May skip tomorrow too, and just bench on Thursday. 10x225 is never coming.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Tomorrow is the last day of my "hypertrophy" mesocycle (to use RP's terms), but this has been my recovery week. My last week of heavy benching ended up with:

BB press : warmup, 5x225, 5x225, 4x225, 4x225
and (different day)
Decline BB bench : warmup, 8x225, 8x225, 7x225, 6x225

Which was actually slightly worse than my week before, so I guess I hit my volume limits. After I finished my decline bench session my rotator cuff was feeling it (tore it years ago), which continued into this week. Was supposed to be benching 6 reps of 155lbs for one of my recovery days but the slightly ghetto, slightly chubby Korean girl who wears minimal clothing was doing deadlifts right in front of the bench so I ended up doing 8 reps of 205lbs for multiple sets and making my shoulder hurt more.

I guess I'm not going to get first to 10x225 on the bench press, I'm starting a 5 week metabolite cycle so I'll be dropping the weight and using 30sec to 1 min rest periods, which I hate. I'm not sure I've ever made it through a whole cycle of that kind of lifting without saying gently caress it and going back to heavier weights and longer rest periods, but my body needs a break anyway so I'll stick with it this time.

I'm around 8 or 9 lbs up from the Thanksgiving to now, which sucks, but I'm pretty sure at least 1lb went to my arms because I've been getting constant comments that they're bigger than ever. Unfortunately I hadn't had to wear a suit and tie since November (casual dress all December), and some of that weight also went to my neck as it sucks to have my top button buttoned now. I'm in a wedding in June so I'm going to run a slightly aggressive weight loss plan, I'll try to get DXA scans every 2 months to at least see how much muscle I lose.

2019 goals: 15 pullups (dead hang between each rep), 15xbodyweight bench.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Trip report: almost done with week 3 out of 5 of RP's "metabolic" phase - high reps, 1 min rest period tops, and some supersets. I really didn't like having to drop the weight that much at first, but I've come to appreciate how much quicker my workouts are. Definitely getting DOMS from them so I think they're still doing enough damage to at least keep existing muscle on. Probably not going to help me get to 10x225 bench anytime soon, yesterday I did:

JM press - 4 sets at 65lbs (very easy but sometimes they bother my elbows so I was doing 20+ reps at first)
Rope pushdown superset with pushups - 4 sets, I was surprised how much at suck at pushups when I do them immediately after pushdowns
Bench press - 4 sets at 155 and that was probably still too high a weight
then some hammer curls and pulldowns

Looking forward to their "resensitization" phase where you use your usual 10rm weights.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Trip report: finally got a DXA scan after gaining holiday weight, and just finished a 5 week "metabolic" workout phase with short rest periods and high reps. Despite getting DOMS the next day on back and chest workouts, I don't think that style really works for me. From early November through two weeks ago I gained 7.9lbs of fat, and only 1.2lbs of muscle. I lost 4.2lbs of muscle in my trunk (back/chest), gained 3.4lbs of muscle in my legs and 1.8lbs of muscle in my arms (there are other places they measure muscle/fat which is why the numbers listed here don't add up to my totals). I'm not sure if that style works for my legs or just that I was more consistently doing leg day.

Now I'm what the RP templates call a resensitization phase, two weeks of not that many sets but trying to do your 10RM the first week and 10RM+ the second week, plus a third recovery week. Relating to the forum goals of a 10x225 bench, my workout today was:

Flat bench: 10x195, 8x195, 7x195
Incline bench: 10x135, 8x135, 7x135
Cable upright row: 10x95, 9x95, 9x95 - I don't really like doing my 10RM on these, feels like I could tweak something in my shoulders
Machine row: 10x215, 10x215, 9x215
DB shrugs: 10x90, 10x90 with a 1 second contraction at the top. I feel like my grip may be giving out before my traps, may need to get some straps.

Next week I'm going to a 4 day rave in the middle of nowhere in England, so my 10x225 hopes are probably going to suffer until I'm back later in March.

*edit* I tweaked my IT band hiking so I guess leg day is out of the question for a while. Did one session after I tweaked it and it definitely made it worse.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

It comes back quick though. Between losing muscle and gaining weight, my pullups are down to 7 (strict) for the my first set, but somehow I only managed 9 with 70lbs of assistance on the assisted pullup machine. I was doing them so I got my body pulled up as high as I could, but still seems off.

Decline BB bench : 10x215, 8x215, 8x215
Pushdown : 10x97.5, 9x100.5, 9x100.5
Hammer curl : 12x40, 10x40, 9x40
Assisted pullup : 9x70, 8x70, 7x70
Shrugs : 10x85, 10x85, 10x85

I've only been doing shrugs once a week for the past year or two, now I'm moving to a 3 times a week intensive shrug program. Although I swear my left and right trap have different shapes, like different insertion points? I don't know if that's even a thing for those muscles, but I'll figure out how to make them even once they're huge.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Went to a ridiculous 4 day rave for a bachelor party in northwest England at what was generously described as a "rave jail" and more accurately described as a "chuck e. cheese concentration camp" (BangFace Weekender), minimal sleep, minimal food, came home and got 8 hours of sleep before waking up nice and sick but had to go to work for the rest of the week. Was sick the entire week, skipped all workouts, now I've finally back working out and getting my protein. My 10x225 bench is farther away than it's been in months, but I think part of that was doing RP's "metabolic" cycle rather than just sticking with my usual hypertrophy focused workouts.

I've modified my workout program to do traps 3x a week instead of once, so I'm now on a 44 week trap intensive program.

My warmup week last week:
Day 1:
BB bench : 12x45, 8x135, 12x165, 10x165
Inc BB bench : 10x115, 9x115

Day 3:
JM press : 10x45, 12x75, 12x75, 12x75
Pushdown : 13x80+, 13x80+, 11x80+
Dec BB bench : 11x185 wide grip, 10x185 wide grip, 8x185 wide grip

This week:
Day 1:
BB bench : 12x45, 8x135, 13x170, 11x170, 9x170
Inc BB bench : 11x115, 10x115, 8x115

Day 3:
JM press: 10x45, 12x75, 12x75, 10x75, 9x75
Pushdown : 13x85.5, 13x85.5, 13x85.5, 10x85.5
Dec BB bench : 11x190 wg, 11x190 wg, 9x190 wg

Left off all the other work I do on those days and other days, but it's not coming back as quick as I thought. I just stopped drinking beer during the week this week, I'm moving those calories to extra carbs for the day, so we'll see if that helps in the coming weeks.

MomJeans420 fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Apr 5, 2019

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Still haven't hit my goal of 10x225 bench, was close at the end of last year, then had a bunch of things slow me down this year. Compared to last December, my bench is down a fair amount but slowly raising, but my back is way stronger so at least there's that. I'm not sure what my 10rm for flat barbell bench right now as I'm currently doing incline bench, then db flyes, then flat BB bench. I have 3 more weeks in this workout cycle, then I have to decide between a 4 week strength oriented cycle that may let me bench heavy again, or a lighter weight/higher rep/short rest period cycle to let my tendons heal.

Did this today, but ran out of time and had to cut my rows short, and I skipped all my sets of cable upright rows. Grip straps have really been helping the heavier weights on rows/shrugs. I'm also ~10lbs up from a year ago, when I really should have dropped 20lbs in that time. Hoping to get some more cardio in now that cooler weather should be here in not too long.

Incline BB press : 12x150, 11x150, 9x150, 8x150
DB fly (slow) : 14x45, 12x45, 12x45
BB bench : 10x180 wide grip, 9x180, 9x180, 7x180
Machine row : 12x215, 12x215

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Bench is a bit stronger compared to a month ago, on Tuesday I did:
Incline BB press: 9x165, 7x165, 6x165
BB bench press (wide grip): 9x195, 7x195, 6x195
plus shoulder and back work

Today I did:
Pushdowns: 10x95+3 extra rubber weights, 9x95+3, 8x95+3 (no idea how much each thing adds, guessing 2.5 or 5lbs?)
BB bench press (close grip): 10x195, 8x195, 6x195
plus bicep and back work

I have no idea what that translates to if I were to start a workout with flat bench pressing. Pretty sure 10x205 wouldn't be an issue, 215 is probably questionable. After a recovery week next week I have to figure out if I want to follow my RP templates and drop the weight a lot but grow bigger faster, or modify them a bit to keep on benching heavier for a while for really just ego purposes. I think 10x225 flat bench is doable by the end of the year if I went for it.

I also need to work on conditioning / cardio more, I've gotten :btroll: this year

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

QuarkMartial posted:

Posting this everywhere: I hit 1x455 on my deadlift. New PR for me.

At least someone in this thread is getting some heavy lifts in.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

FWIW unless you're a small woman you probably don't need to exercise to lose weight, especially if you hate it. If you can get in a lot of low intensity exercise like walking, working in the garage, etc, that's great and will help, but it's not necessary. If you're getting burned out just eat at maintenance calories for a month, then start dropping the calories down slowly again.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I got this part down during our new stay at home lifestyle:

slidebite posted:

When this whole Covid poo poo started and my martial arts club had to shut down, I lost about 5-8lbs in 2 weeks. Almost certainly due to muscle because I was eating poo poo food and drinking like a fish so it certainly wasn't my stellar diet.

But I haven't gotten around to the rest of it. I was supposed to have weights arriving by the end of April, now they're saying no later than the end of May yet I still don't have a shipping notification. I need to start doing something soon though, I went from around 6 to 10 hours of lifting weights per week to 20 mins a day of walking my dogs, plus a lot more random chores / yard work. Still not even close to what I was doing pre-covid.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

slidebite posted:

There are plenty of routines you can do to get your cardio and muscle game on that don't need any equipment, other than maybe something decent underfoot.. and a bit, but not much, room.

Give something like this a try 4 times a week for a month and see how you feel. If you can do more than 4, great. It's not going to make you into a fine tuned machine on its own, buts it's a decent short routine that doesn't take a huge commitment.

3 sets of each. Should take all of about 15 minutes.

I may just give this a shot, I've been avoiding anything new because my weights are supposedly arriving soon, although at this point it could probably be another month. I hurt my back many years ago and I used to throw it out twice a year, but ever since I started lifting ~10 years ago it's mostly gone away as long as I keep lifting. I was doing direct core work pre-covid, but even when I didn't do any direct core work just having to brace myself for things like pushdowns got it strong enough to not get hurt. I can stop for up to two months if I have some other injury making me stop lifting and I'll be fine, but once I get past 2 months without working out it's a lot easier to get the back pain back, and I just reached two months with minimal workouts.

What I really need to find is the best way to increase flexibility for squatting, I'm naturally incredibly inflexible and it's so bad I can't really safely barbell squat (with full range of motion and proper form). I'm also restoring my bike that's been sitting outside for 3 years so I can work on my cardio. Nothing like doing a track day on a bike to realize you really need to work on core strength and cardio, goddamn. At least it's a good motivator.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

My weights arrived over 2 months after I ordered them (but fair enough because they were the only people not price gouging), but now I need to clean up my garage enough to fit my power rack in there. I unexpectedly inherited a GSX-R750 this week, which hasn't helped the garage situation at all. Of course upon towing it home I realize the front tire won't hold air, I broke the key off in the ignition because there must have been some trick to getting turned on, then upon hotwiring the bike it appears there's some fueling issue and it won't start. I've been working on that while also fixing my Daytona's split open coolant hose that was a simple fix in theory but just an absolute pain in the rear end location to fix, so my body is just a mixture of random muscle soreness and pains along with a stiff lower back at the moment. And also my roof rack came in for my truck, so that's taking up a lot of garage space and needs to be installed.

But once that's done I'm back to lifting again.