Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«3 »
Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

We the People of Automotive Insanity:

After scoffing at the wayward soul that hears you're into bikes, only to ask if it's a fixie.
After spending multiple thousands of dollars in the name of weight reduction on our cars.
After watching the go-kart weight marshal take one look at us and say, "Nah, you're good bro".

We Crusaders of all things Car must now turn onto the street of health, for a lot of us truly Look Like poo poo.

This thread is for progress in the name of anything fitness. Weightlifting, bodybuilding, cardio, gently caress even cross-fit I guess. Post up your goals and motivational poo poo to get each-other working out!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

I'm trying to get some fuckin abs for this trip out to Colombia in October. I've never had them before and have been a lardy pile of garbage all before this year.

I'm working on weightlifting 4 times per week, as well as a low-carb diet that I'm still trying to get some science into. I have cut out all beer, though. It's a start.

GOAL: ABS
TIMEFRAME: Second week of October
PLAN: Progressive weightlifting with Bodyspace app, and low-carb diet.

E: 6'0", 200lbs before I started working out. I'm up to 213lbs and have been sitting there for a while.

Adiabatic fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Aug 14, 2018

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Gentlemen, this thread is for setting goals and sticking to them. If you do not have a current plan, make one and post up. If you do have a current plan, tell us about it. This ain't the chat thread.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Dennis McClaren posted:

Long way to go! One thing I learned very early on in my life is that if you make your Health a major priority in life (proper diet and exercise) you won't have to deal with many Health related issues in your life.

Dude! Amazing progress. You're killing it.

Adiabatic posted:

I'm trying to get some fuckin abs for this trip out to Colombia in October. I've never had them before and have been a lardy pile of garbage all before this year.

I'm working on weightlifting 4 times per week, as well as a low-carb diet that I'm still trying to get some science into. I have cut out all beer, though. It's a start.

GOAL: ABS
TIMEFRAME: Second week of October
PLAN: Progressive weightlifting with Bodyspace app, and low-carb diet.

E: 6'0", 200lbs before I started working out. I'm up to 213lbs and have been sitting there for a while.

Ok so here's the current lack of abs:

Don't mind the scented candle.

GOAL TODAY (Fitness): Bodyspace says it's chest day, with 6-8 reps per set. On Bench I'm looking to get up to 185 on at least one set of 6.
GOAL TODAY (Diet): Less than 25g of carbs, other than the meal right around my workout, where I'll probably eat a bunch of grains. Should this be before or after the workout? Does it matter?
MOTIVATIONAL poo poo RIGHT HERE: Dr. Eric Thomas will get you the gently caress up off the couch

Adiabatic fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Aug 15, 2018

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Rhyno posted:

One thing that made all the difference for me:

Motivation is bullshit. You can't sit around waiting to get or feel motivated. Motivation is absolute bullshit.

You need determination.If you attack each day with determination you're not waiting on something to happen to motivate you. Determination is a state of mind. Motivation is a mood swing.

Totally. However I need mood swings sometimes so I will be popping motivation all over my posts.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Rhyno posted:

Motivation is not the worst thing but you're never going to change your life with motivational moments.

This thread is not for the discussion of motivation versus determination.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Be helpful and encouraging by posting your dietary and fitness goals for today! Maybe some motivational determinational content!

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Adiabatic posted:

GOAL TODAY (Fitness): Bodyspace says it's chest day, with 6-8 reps per set. On Bench I'm looking to get up to 185 on at least one set of 6.
GOAL TODAY (Diet): Less than 25g of carbs, other than the meal right around my workout, where I'll probably eat a bunch of grains. Should this be before or after the workout? Does it matter?
MOTIVATIONAL poo poo RIGHT HERE: Dr. Eric Thomas will get you the gently caress up off the couch

What's everyone's goals for today? If youd like to put some motivational content up that you may find helpful, feel free to do so as well!

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Dennis McClaren posted:

The carbs that you use to fuel your exercise are the carbs that you consumed 24 hours prior, meaning the day before during all your meals. Your body doesn't make available the energy from carbs immediately, or even shortly, after eating them.
So the idea is to meet your carb macros throughout the day in your meals.
Electrolytes, and amino acids are a little different. You can drink/eat these before or during your workout to refuel some of your active energy stores, if you feel like you're dragging a little bit.
Personally I always have to slam a powerade after lifting in the gym for an hour, before I go run 2 miles with my dog. If not, this Texas heat and my depleted energy stores from working out will cause me to cramp. A small amino or Powerade drink is all you need to refuel in that scenario.
But to answer your question - it doesn't matter too much. Just make sure you meet your dietary macros you have set out for yourself.

Thanks! This helps immensely.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Adiabatic posted:

Currently monching some Chipotle for the first time in forever after working out. Got that 1 set of 6 185lbs in, just barely. Excellent day all around.

e: SWOLOTH

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Goddamn dude, which M Series do you drive? M5?

Post up actual goals and work at them, or get out.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Holy poo poo y'all, great work all around!

GOAL TODAY (Fitness): SHOULDER DAY FAVORITE DAY. Goal is to hit every Bodyspace workout, including the ones I don't like. Then post a badass swolefie. Because shoulder day. Mmmmm.
GOAL TODAY (Diet): Less than 25g of carbs, other than the meal right around my workout, again.
MOTIVATIONAL poo poo RIGHT HERE: There will be haters, doubters, non-believers, and then there will be you, proving them wrong.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Rhyno posted:

Eh, the jackstands work and I can go from one exercise to the next without stopping to reset the rack.

Whenever I use my home gym this is the deciding factor on what I'm doing next. I am a lazy rear end in a top hat.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Enourmo posted:

I should be clear, probably not gonna be hitting the weights for the time being. Mostly gonna focus on cardio and diet. I'm kinda just bitching about the past, like a fool.

This is the thread for action, not bitching.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

mekilljoydammit posted:

Oh my god I forgot how much I hate being hungry all the time.

Whenever I get hungry and it ain't eating time I chug water. Small amount of lime juice is a great addition.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Adiabatic posted:

Holy poo poo y'all, great work all around!

GOAL TODAY (Fitness): SHOULDER DAY FAVORITE DAY. Goal is to hit every Bodyspace workout, including the ones I don't like. Then post a badass swolefie. Because shoulder day. Mmmmm.
GOAL TODAY (Diet): Less than 25g of carbs, other than the meal right around my workout, again.
MOTIVATIONAL poo poo RIGHT HERE: There will be haters, doubters, non-believers, and then there will be you, proving them wrong.

WHAT?! MAGIKARP'S EVOLVING!!!

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Even if you don't share one here, I posit that everyone should definitely at least take one right now if you're serious about working out with us. You're absolutely under no pressure to share pics but if you hang with for a month or two you'll have a great "check out my month progress" comparison pic that you'll probably want to show off!

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Also is it just me or is soda water the best poo poo ever? It hits my soda itch, it's basically water, and it's both available and free at any fast food place / cava / chipotle.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

That's gonna be awesome info when I get sick of CAVA

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Rest day on the workout front for me. Tomorrow is back/more shoulders!

How's everyone else's daily goals?

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

I am currently trying to get my lazy rear end off the couch to work out as we speak. Time for motivation videos.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

tetrapyloctomy posted:

Achievement unlocked: Do A Leg Day.

It was a weakass leg day -- squats only up to 225 4, leg press, leg extensions, hamstring curls, calf raises, then some biceps stuff -- partly because I am still wary of my back WRT heavier squats, partly because I am way deconditioned, and partly because the area with the squat rack was 90 loving degrees. But it was a leg day, and enough of one that I will be sore.

Next hurdle: do not eat all of the apple fritters my wife bought from the Amish folk at Reading Terminal Market.

Dude nice. I suck so bad at leg day. Squats and deadlifts I'm always pushing super weak. There's been quick progress but I'm not even at 2 plates yet.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Yeah I was super hungover today and very bad and did not go to the gym. Tomorrow I will pay for this. Might get a 2-a-day in.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Rhyno posted:

Edit: Hey since this is a YLLS crossover can we talk about fashion and whatnot?

gently caress no

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

tetrapyloctomy posted:

Today's goal: Good shoulder and triceps day. Plan on barbell presses topping at 135 x 6 for three set, then lateral raises (upright, slightly bent forward, and about 45 degrees forward -- I turn an adjustable incline bench around and lay chest-on-pad so I can keep the angle consistent, avoid bouncing for momentum, and minimize low back strain), and shrugs. Triceps will be a bunch of whatever.

I love shrugs, since they remind me of when I was deadlifting heavy. My epicondylitis messes with my grip, so I've just been using straps and going heavy-ish, say 275 or 315 for sets of six to eight; though the latter makes it hard to really get the full range of motion I should, the weight just feels good.

Holy gently caress I could barely do 55x6 today (I guess technically 110x6?) on dumbbell presses. Shrugs are fun but my grip strength is garbage and keeping me from doing anything over ~170.

Good lifting day today, felt great.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Dennis McClaren posted:

Maybe best to wear straps when doing Shrugs. Straps for shrugs ONLY unless you one day start DLing super heavy and stuff.
After all, when you're training your Traps, you're there to train Traps - not your grip. Get some straps, shrug hard, and watch those mountains start holding up your tee shirt. Feels good.

tetrapyloctomy posted:

Use straps for traps. If you're building grip and don't want to use straps, at least buy (or make) some Liquid Chalk. My grip fails at mid-200s double-overhand without it, but I can get a few reps at three plates with it. Alternate-grip with LQ I've pulled 3857.

Thanks yall! I will grab some straps and try some chalk as well.

I tried a 300x1 DL with a bunch of friends that are way smaller and less fit than I was. We were drinking and "bro-ing out" which involves lifting and yelling like Ahnold a bunch. Anywho my grip failed me where theirs did not, and plenty of derision and attention to my tiny wrists followed.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

tetrapyloctomy posted:

Double-overhand or alternate grip?

Alternate

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Larrymer posted:

These things you quoted contradict each other. Build your grip up first without straps, IMO.

Edit: ah only for shrugs.

More using both. I'd like grip strength but it's not too huge a deal, so I'll try the chalk out with deadlifting and straps for traps. If the chalk ain't working I'll go straps for everything I suppose.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

PULL SUMO, EAT BUTT.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

I am in South Boston, VA [see: bumfuck] all this week and also coming down with something sinus related. This will not deter me from finding a gym with a weekly rate, and infecting the good people of Southern Virginia so that we may hopefully begin the process of creating a race of genetically altered super-hilbillies.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

MrChips posted:

As a gym-goer and odd-time gym-worker myself, don't go to the gym when you're sick plzkthx. It's an excellent place to make everyone else who goes there sick, which is kind of a dick move.

Yeah all I'm doing when I get to ny room is room service and a shitload of sleep.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

GAH I want to get out of South Boston and get much less sick so I can go work out again. Looking like Thursday night at earliest. I can feel my muscles atrophying.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Good work all around yall!

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Back to the gym tomorrow! FINALLY

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Really starting to see some improvements with this diet and the normal gym routine.

This pic was yesterday afternoon... I was able to hit 185×5×3 on bench and 110×5×3 on incline press!

Just woke up to hit the gym hard since I have a crazy day today and no time to go otherwise. GET SOME!

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

QuarkMartial posted:

Deadlifted 330lb for 8 reps with nothing but chalk today. That was pretty cool.

Hell yes

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Helped this chick move for 3 hours today. That counts as a workout right?

BEST DAY IS TOMORROW!

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Wrar posted:

Were you moving furniture and boxes? Is this a euphemism?

Unfortunately it was not a euphemism. However she's taking me to dinner as a thank you.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Hell yeah boys GET SOME

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Imgur app is loving up but SHOULDER DAY BEST DAY and just in time for this dinner chickadee promised me tonight

I got 2 sets of 5 reps 120lb military press. Same amount 190lbs on shrugs with no straps or chalk still. Every exercise got an increase!

«3 »