Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
6'1", 220~ lbs, there was a long time ago (I'm in my early 40s now) that I weighed 200lbs and had abs. I'm not looking to do that again, but I am looking to be a lot fitter than I am right now. Therefore, I signed up for a 100km endurance walking race at the end of March of next year. It's a combination of trail hiking through hills and valleys, then moving to some sealed bike tracks, then some more hills, then sealed tracks again.

The goal right now is to get 20km a week walking done, then ramp up in 4-6 weeks to 60km/week, another 4-6 weeks gets me 100km/week including one 50km walk per week. Then it's Christmas and a couple of weeks off. Then start the whole thing again, ramping up every 4 weeks, and tapering off for the last two weeks before the event.

I've always been dreadful at motivating myself to do things, but great at working towards a goal. I got out my old camelbak last night to discover that I hadn't cleaned it properly before the last time I put it away and now it's one big black slime mold colony on the inside. So I need another one of those, fortunately I just need the bladder and tube. My old hiking boots have probably had it, I'll need another pair of those and some light runners for the road sections. I'll get those in the next few months and break them in slowly, last thing I want is to get blistered out of my training routine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

cursedshitbox posted:

imo weightloss happens at the dinner table

Absolutely it does. The two best exercises for weightloss are head shakes ("No thanks, I won't have another piece") and table push-aways (getting up after you've finished eating your meal and not staying for seconds)

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
CHECKING IN

https://www.strava.com/activities/1775440273

The 1000 steps trail is about 9 minutes drive from my house, I have no excuse not to get there at least once a week. Today, I was passed about a third of the way up by a dude going down, who passed me again coming up when I was about two thirds of the way up.

CURRENT WEEK
3km of heavy trail walking done, would like to get in 10 more at least of regular walking before Sunday night.

NEXT WEEK
Will attempt to get in 3km of heavy trail walking, and 17km of regular walking for the total 20km.

END OF YEAR
Would like to get my 1000 steps moving time down to 30 minutes - I have literally no idea how realistic this is.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Checking in.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1779659833

7.7km in 1:11:00. Took the dog with me and towards the end he was looking at me like "um this is a lot further than I normally walk, why are we still doing this?"

For the record, it's 2.1°C (36°F) out there right now. Well earned beer coming my way.

Total of 10.7km for the first week. I think I'll get in a very easy 4 tomorrow assuming the weather holds. At my age, one miserable cold/freezing rain walk per weekend is my limit.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
It's a quarter past 1 in the afternoon and it's hailed four times today. I don't think I'm getting out for another session.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Checking in.

Did about 9.1km this afternoon - Strava seems to have stopped recording about ten seconds after it started so I estimated it on mapometer. So this week, total is 9.1, planning another walk of equal or greater value on Saturday evening, would like this to be my first 20km week.